Published reports say Brooks hired at Clemson

Former Tennessee defensive line coach Dan Brooks has been hired in the same position at Clemson, The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C., reported Monday, citing anonymous sources.

Multiple published reports said Brooks attended Clemson’s practice Monday afternoon, and he could officially join the staff this week.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney would not confirm Brooks’ hire Monday, although he did compliment Brooks when asked about his presence at practice.

“Have a lot of respect for Coach Brooks. Great background and track record, recruiting and coaching players. Certainly a strong candidate,” Swinney said, according to The State. “I feel good about where we’re headed as far as being able to name a new coach soon. We’ve got some outstanding candidates.”

Brooks spent 14 seasons at Tennessee and coached several high-profile players, including defensive tackles Albert Haynesworth and John Henderson.

Brooks had been working in an administrative capacity with UT’s athletic department after he was not retained by new UT coach Lane Kiffin.

Tennessee is financially responsible for the difference – if any – between Brooks’ scheduled 2009 salary at UT and his salary at Clemson.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolunteerMan writes:

Vol_alumni08 writes:

in response to cantstoptheHOP:

I met Brooks too, and it wasn’t much of a joyful experience. Hope he gets fired by Clemson.

HtownVol writes:

I do not care. I want to know what OL, WR, QB and DL are going to sign with UT next Feb!

reddevilfever writes:

The only hateful coach that I ever heard anybody talk about in a negative manner was Chavis. Some of my friends were on the film crew that shot practice and said Chavis was a total jerk. They all really like Brooks.

AikenVol writes:

What person decided that Dan Brooks would be a perfect fit to make coffee for John Peterson or rub Joan Cronans feet? Oh well...must be nice to be fired in the land of Orange...no matter how bad you were you always keep coming back...kind of like Joe Leiberman.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to HtownVol:

You will have to wait 11 more months to know the answer to that question.The ink is still wet on this years class.

ctownvol writes:

in response to cantstoptheHOP:

Don't hold anything back. Tell us how you really feel. I see what you are saying. Everyone thinks UGA Coach Mark Rich is so wonderful. I've met him on a couple of occasions and let me tell you the guy is a first-class jerk.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

I've never met the guy nor do I give a darn about him. You on the other hand... I've seen the things you have to say and I feel the same way about you that other users on here feel about him. You're a huge jerk and bandwagon fan to boot. You call people out on being rude and making hateful comments but you then turn around and do the same. Just go away hypocrite. Nobody at UT wants you as a Vols fan. You'll be doing all of a us a favor by cheering for Clemson and Clemson only. Maybe you'll be able to save up enough money pumping gas to go to one of their games someday.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Were you wearing orange? Was it after the Vols thrashed them 35-14 and were up 28-0 at the half? :)

aurora0317 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

I too have met Coach Richt (at least spell his name right!) and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Though I live in Ga and am a die-hard Tennessee fan, it is hard not to like and respect him as a coach and as a guy. Maybe you just met him on a bad day... people have those you know...

ctownvol writes:

in response to aurora0317:

Sorry Nancy. I left off a T. Actually I met him coming out of the capitol building on the Mitchell street side. I was with my 6 year old step-son and asked him to pose for a picture and he said "not as long as that kid is wearing orange" and then proceeded to pose for a picture with another child. Left my step-son crying. Screw Mark RichT. If I see him again in person I'm going to jail.

ctownvol writes:

in response to OrangeMan_86:

Actually it was just before we hung 51 on them in Athens.

ctownvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

F 'em both!

aurora0317 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Sorry, my name's not Nancy. However, though I'm sure this thought hasn't occurred to you, but there are not just guys posting onto this site. Can you blame him for not wanting to pose with your step-son? He's been beaten by UT probably more times than he cares to remember... I wouldn't want to be reminded either if I were him...

ctownvol writes:

in response to aurora0317:

Apologies for the Nancy comment. Seems to me, if I were in his position, making new fans might be a positive. It wouldn't have hurt him to stop for a picture. Especially since he was taking pics with everyone else, and besides I thought he was a super religious guy. Seemed more like an arse to me. And besides, the kid was 6! And he just walked away with the kid crying. And yes he saw and heard he was upset and he chuckled.

ctownvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

If you ain't wih us...you're against us!

aurora0317 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

I'm not defending him. I would LOVE to see us kick some bulldog tail again, especially since I had to sit in Sandford Stadium last fall and was the only one singing Rocky Top in my entire section. Hopefully, CLK can get our Vols back into SEC contention and send them back to Athens with their tails between their legs in October!!

ctownvol writes:

in response to aurora0317:

I'll drink to that! Sing it loud and proud! I live here amongst the bulldogs and I fly my Power T flag proud. I've had my orange and white mailbox knocked off more times than I can count.

aurora0317 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

I too live in the horrid land of red and black and wear my orange and white with pride! I can't wait for the fall till I can come back to God's Country for some real football!!! ... silly UGA fans call Sanford a "Stadium" ...they don't even have 93,000 seats, how cute!

appalachianvol writes:

interesting article reguarding Fl.

XildnSC writes:

On another note, OTAs for Peyton:

aurora0317 writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

or it'll backfire like Casey Clausen's comments did for UGA a couple of years ago...

I hope not. Go Vols! I wanna be singing Rocky Top all night long with CLK in September!

ctownvol writes:

Intersting article on ajc.com about just how "slow" Percy Harvin is. A 12 on the Wonderlic.

ctownvol writes:

in response to Rok_Etop:

Great story. Stringer seems to have meade a positive influence with your daughter, and that's what a "Coach" needs to do. Kudos to her.

givehim6 writes:

OK... and back to Clemson and Dan Brooks. I guess seens Clemson could not get Chavis, Brooks was next best.

gohawks1 writes:

Figured he'd land somewhere, but I thought it'd be another SEC university.

VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT writes:

Good for him

Waldorf writes:

Didn't some other coach for UT express interest in a Clemson coaching job sometime recently?

Can anyone remind me who it was? Did he get that job?

Bigger_Al writes:

If nice guys made good coaches, Buzz Peterson might still have a whistle.

Good luck to Coach Brooks.

orngbluded writes:

It took him long enough to get hired.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

in response to robvols:

Kudos for not taking the troll bait.

blitzshoot writes:

Holy s**t. He only got 12 right? I hope he makes a lot in the NFL. Something tells me he won't beable to hang on to it.

in response to OrangeMan_86:

You hint at a phenomenon that some of us often miss in our encounters with "public figures" such as Brooks, Richt, and their like. Such people meet "the public" all the time, in all manner of circumstances, and when both the public figure AND the average Joe are in various frames of mind.

I would say that most of us would not like for our public reputation to depend on how we might have treated someone when we were not, shall we say, at our best. The law of averages would dictate that a public figure has WAY more chances to come off as an a__hole than most of us have, even if they are perfect gentlemen MOST of the time. Again fortunately for most of us, people we have not treated well USUALLY don't broadcast their negative opinions of us as widely as they would a bad impression of someone "famous".

This is not a defense of either Brooks or Richt--I have never met either of them--and I have no reason to doubt the accounts of those who have, I'm just sayin'....