Adams: Monte Kiffin loves being back in school

The biggest misconception about Tennessee defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is the magnitude of his transition.

After all those years in the NFL, he is coaching college kids again. What a challenge, huh?

He laughs at that. Watch a few minutes of a UT spring practice and you can see why. No one looks more at home than Monte Kiffin.

“Coaching is coaching,” he says.

But there’s more to it than that. In a way, he is back home.

Long before he became an NFL defensive guru, he was an assistant coach in a football-crazy college town much like this one. He just didn’t have nearly as much money or security. And he didn’t have a son, Lane, for his head coach as he does at UT.

He was a 29-year-old defensive line coach under Bob Devaney at Nebraska, which had finished 6-4 in back-to-back seasons. That doesn’t play any better at Nebraska than last year’s 5-7 record did at UT.

The ending to the 1968 season made the 6-4 record even darker. Archrival Oklahoma thumped the Cornhuskers 47-0.

So changes were made. They included the promotion of Kiffin from the freshman team to varsity defensive line coach. Warren Powers, who eventually would become the head coach at Missouri, took over the secondary.

All the revamped defensive staff had to do in the 1969 season opener was figure out how to slow down Southern California, which was 19-2-1 over the previous two seasons.

“They beat us 31-21,” Kiffin said. “We got beat on two bombs from Jimmy Jones to Bob Chandler. Warren and I were talking after the game, saying, ‘We’re going to have a short career here.’ ”

Devaney wasn’t sympathetic.

“Come in here,” he told his two young defensive assistants.

“We’re both 29 years old, and we’re both thinking this might be the shortest career in history,” Kiffin said. “Coach Devaney got up there on the chalkboard and said, ‘Warren, if I ever see that corner get beat like that again, you will not be coaching this secondary. And Coach Kiffin, we better get a better pass rush.’ ”

The assistants got the message. That was obvious when the coaches viewed the video from the next week’s game against Texas A&M.

“The corner was back so far, he wasn’t in the frame of the picture,” Kiffin said with a loud laugh.

That marked the beginning of Nebraska’s glory days, and Kiffin, who played for Devaney in the early 1960s, was right in the middle of them. Although he didn’t have the title of defensive coordinator, he called the defensive signals.

Nebraska went 9-2 and beat Oklahoma 44-14 in 1969. In the next two seasons, they won back-to-back national championships. The foundation was laid for one of the most successful runs in sports history. From 1969 through 2001, Nebraska never won fewer than nine games in a season.

By the time the streak ended, Kiffin was the defensive coordinator of the defending Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Bucs. But a quarter of a century in the NFL hasn’t quelled his college spirit. It’s evident on the practice field and in a casual conversation.

“I’m having so much fun here,” Kiffin said. “The fans are unbelievable. It’s like I’m back at Nebraska. But it’s even bigger, because I’ve never coached in front of 107,000 people.

“I’ve coached in two national championship games. I’ve coached in a Super Bowl. But I’ve never coached in front of 107,000 people.”

The six-figure crowd is a huge fringe benefit. But all Kiffin needs to enjoy his work is one player. Give him an entire defense, and he becomes so lost in his work, he’s oblivious to the hazards of his profession.

As a play unfolded in Kiffin’s direction Wednesday, he didn’t notice how close a ball carrier came to sideswiping him as the coach screamed at a defensive back who was out of position.

“Lane said, ‘Dad, you’ve got to get back,’ ” Monte said. “I was right in the way.”

He laughed and said, “I love it.”

That’s obvious.

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tinknoz#660213 writes:

Monte is the man!!!

Kiffin_fan writes:

DadwasaVol writes:

OK, then, he's into it!

Kiffin_fan writes:

sorry wrong story....

Volborn writes:

Predictions? How many points will UF put on Kiffin's D? I say 21 at the most...

Regulator writes:

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Listened to MK on 104.5 the Zone.

Most impressive interview and he said, (paraphrase)

"We will play the best players. Frosh to seniors, makes no difference".

Also, I will be on the sidelines so I can grab anyone screwing up.

Not one mention of pineriders or seniority or charts.

Hands on man, that MK!

Voluvr writes:

ORANGE SWARM IS CATCHING ON. You can hear it in the voices of the players that know they can beat anyone. OS is all over the coaches, the fan base and this site.

Orange Swarm!

Voluvr writes:

I get it. And with ORANGE SWARM comes Orange Envy.

bluetick writes:

This dude is a trip. Glad he is on our side of things. And this:

Sounds like UT's prevent defense for the past 10 years! Monte will change that.

Voluvr writes:

in response to bluetick:

This dude is a trip. Glad he is on our side of things. And this:

Sounds like UT's prevent defense for the past 10 years! Monte will change that.

What are you talking about bluetick?

dvhill100 writes:

Good stuff. One of the perceived shortcomings of the staff was the ability of MK to relate to the players (at least according to some UF fans - you know who you are). I would say that is not a concern at all.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to dvhill100:

kids 'relate' if you treat them fairly and honestly. as long as they don't feel like you are 'playing' them...in a lot of ways, today's kids are great to work with.

VAvolfanRON writes:

BTW,
did anyone see the Q and A w/Coach O?

one question was 'How do you like K'ville?

He stated (not quoted) It's beautiful, the mountains, the restaurants, the fans, the people.......

then he stated....."I can't wait to see it one day!!!!

givehim6 writes:

One thing about it is I do not think offences like UF's and Bama's are going to scare monte, thus his defences will not be shaken ether. I remember the Chavis D's of the 90's, the swarm's. Hope we see that again.

govols22231 writes:

I don't think they had video in 69, it was probably reel to reel. But we know what he meant. John should have used the word film. Video really wasn't used until the late 80's early 90's as a tool to watch game footage. They would actually "cut the film" into offense and defense and splice it back together and have an offensive reel and a defensive reel. They would also break it down into the kicking game, etc. They would even have endzone copies and sideline copies. There would be "cans" of film stacked everywhere. Everything today is on DVD's and the kids can take them about anywhere now and study "film" This also helps schools get around the 20 hour rule. In the old days you would have to sit in large groups and watch "film" whereas now you can go by the video room and pick up a CD and take it back to your room and watch it.

jimvols13 writes:

Monte is the MAN!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Volborn:

Predictions? How many points will UF put on Kiffin's D? I say 21 at the most...

The offense (or lack of) will have something to do with that number.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Book1:

Quiet please.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Tebow love fest. Oh brother, "The Speech"

Hudro writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

You sound kind of like a Bama fan. Directing your ire at someone and ignoring the bigger issue. Did Clemson cheat or not? It isn't that someone turned you in, it is did you deserve the probation. Charley Pell's actions at Clemson are what got you in trouble. Pell got caught again at Florida so it looks like that is how he did things.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to Book1:

dang that's funny man lol

bluetick writes:

in response to Voluvr:

What are you talking about bluetick?

Huh? Which part didn't you understand? Just curious.

MidTennVol writes:

There is a moment coming, a very special moment in the history of Tennessee football.

It's coming soon and it will only happen once in the lives of the people involved. They will never forget it and will talk about it the rest of their lives.

It will never happen again.

That moment? It will be the first time this coaching staff and this team run through the T on Saturday, September 5, 2009.

I hope they hear a roar like they have never heard before. I hope they hear what Tennessee football means to the people of the State of Tennessee and to Tennessee fans around the world.

I hope it startles them, humbles them, overtakes them and, at that moment, communicates to them what Tennessee football is all about.

Lane Kiffin, his father Monte, Coach O and the rest of the staff are not Tennessee people -- yet.

All that has gone on thus far, all the hiring and the recruiting and the media tempests, all that will go on through the summer and fall camp -- everything that has happened since Coach Fulmer was carried off the field last fall are simply preparation for the moment when these coaches and this team run through that T and hear the roar of 107,000 Big Orange fans.

At that moment, the page will turn. The players and coaches will understand that it's all very much bigger than them, that it was there before they were born, and that it will outlast all of us.

Correction, Coach Kiffin -- 107,000 Tennessee football fans. Not 107,000 "people."

There's a huge difference -- which you will understand at that moment, that brief, oh-so-special, bright, shining, orange and white moment.

Fellow fans, if you are lucky enough to be there at Neyland for that moment, I implore you -- each one of you -- to come to your feet and welcome this new coaching staff to Tennessee football with all your hearts.

Rock Neyland like it hasn't been rocked in years. Let them know what Tennessee football means to you at that moment.

Some of us can't be there in person for this historic moment. So scream for us too. Let me hear you here in Denmark.

Saturday, September 5, 2009 -- the moment is coming soon. Make it unforgettable.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

My newly elected president? What country are from and what does that have to do with football dumbazz!!!

shoalcreekvol writes:

I didn't know Monte had a couple of national championship rings to go with the Super Bowl ring. The Legend of Monte continues to grow....

spivol writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

Good lord man, you just brought tears to my eyes. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ready to welcome in the new staff and our boys in orange. We will make the earth shake that day.

SuperVolfan writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

Awesome post! You should write for the KNS.

TommyJack writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

Why the change, Rich. Some husband looking for you? ;)

stinky_pinky writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

you're psychotic

hueypilot writes:

Thanks DenmarkVol for inspiring me. I was looking at the schedule the other day and thinking Western Kentucky? Nah! Don't need to see that. But I'm retired. Where the hell else do I have to be? I was there for Johnny's opener in 77 and Phil's official opening so I've got to be there for Lane's. And I'll just hang around Tennessee for a week (I live in Gator territory now) visit the kids and grandkids for a week and catch UCLA the next weekend. Now that is a plan and again I think you Denmark Vol.

mloaks#222092 writes:

all good.
but... we HAD a great def coord before, so this had better be really good. esp when LSU comes to call...

KENVOL writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

This by far is the "BEST POST EVER." I live in MS. and have never been able to get to the hill for a game. But I'll tell you this. If there is anyway possible I will be there for that first win for Kiffin. If not you might here a scream of passion and love when they come through that T for the first time coming from North Ms. GOOOOOO VOLS!!!!!!!!

And might I say GO ORANGE SWARM

Volunatic writes:

in response to Book1:

What's a "knat"?

Volunatic writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

Tebow love fest. Oh brother, "The Speech"

Glad I had a barf bag handy.

Volunatic writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

UT had a winning record against bama when Chavis was here.
I can't understand why our defense was so bad in '06 and '07, though.
As for 3rd-and-long-- last season I kept saying "Oh no, 3rd and 12-- those guys have us right where they want us", and the dadgum opponent would proceed to get a first down.
I think Chavis has been great for UT overall, but his loyalty to the mustang/prevent was maddening.

Bigger_Al writes:

Monte should know that Adams is a weasel that will lampoon him at the earliest opportunity.

Fire Adams! Hire DenmarkVol!

AustinTX_Vol writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

Man, that was an unbelievably great post DenmarkVol. I won't be able to make it there for the opener either, but I will be taking a flight or two to K-town this year and heading for Neyland. Let's go Vols.

richvol writes:

Denmark Vol- you brought alive my favorite moment in any sport. The moment before the Vols come out of that tunnel is one of the greatest emotions a fan can ever experience...win or lose.

The pagentry and spectacle of the Pride of the Southland band builds the tension to an almost unbearable level. When they break the single line and separate into the twin line the hair on my body crackles with electricity and I break out in goosebumps. 107,000 voices rise to a deafening roar as they come charging onto the field. What a moment to be alive.

Thanks for giving us a reminder of what it means to be suspended in a moment in time that lends itself to magic.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Any truth that Dupree applied to be the cord carrier for HCLK?

RoyaltyVol writes:

Denmark- Great post! That's the kind of post that gives me chills! If only John Ward could announce the first game in September, "Its football time in Tennessee" Oh the memories! Thanks for the great post!

PennVol writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

Awesome post! Makes me wanna hit somebody! I only hope the players can let the band form the T before they come charging out of the tunnel! Can you imagine how pumped Kiffin will have them???

PennVol writes:

What MK didn't say is "those hotties on campus don't hurt either"...

tennesseebee writes:

Papa Kiffin I hope you have researched a basic element of Vols Defensive history: he is stacked up at the line by a 'host of orange jerseys'.

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

I'll be there loud and proud... Screaming Orange Swarm and Go Vols..... yeeeeeehaaawwwww!!!!!!!!

LadyVol writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It will never happen again.

That was amazing...they should put it on a plaque!! I can't wait until September!! Go Vols!!

AustinTX_Vol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

I'm all aboard the ORANGE SWARM movement UTfan. I'd take an ORANGE SWARM shirt your hands if I could make it to the O&W game. Gotta save my trips to Neyland for the regular season.

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

John Adams' step brother preachin to the dawgs

It's not so much the story as the comments that follow...

ORANGE SWARM gd'it

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

ORANGE SWARM member since day 3

spivol writes:

I nominate DenmarkVol for the best post of the year and UTfan4life for the best slogan ever. Witch Doctor gets an honorable nod for most consistant and humorous posts.

UTfan4life are you the same poster that awhile back said "they will be flying around the field like a pack of jack russels" in regards to the new DB recruits? Friggin beautiful. By the way probaly an early nominee for best quote from a post.

ORANGE SWARM baby!!!