Give him three! Brown tries moving to tackle

Coach Orgeron and Wes Brown

Should Lane Kiffin allow players to talk trash about Florida?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Throughout spring, Ed Orgeron has told his players he's looking for a "three." He's getting No. 94 instead.

During spring break, Tennessee defensive end Wes Brown decided to approach new defensive line coach about sliding inside to defensive tackle.

So when the Vols resumed practice Tuesday, Brown was working inside as a three-technique lineman instead of his usual spot at end.

"He's been preaching to us, we need a three, we need a three," Brown said Thursday. "I told him I thought about going to him and saying, 'Maybe I can do it. Give me a shot, I'll try it.' If I'm the man, I'm the man. But I'm blessed to be there and happy to be there, and whatever I can do to help the team, that's what I'm going to do."

Rising junior ends Chris Walker and Ben Martin have both come on during spring practice, something that made Brown's move possible.

Brown, who started 12 games at end last season despite playing with a partially torn meniscus that required surgery after the season, has adapted well, Orgeron said.

"Our whole objective in the spring is putting the best players on the field at the best positions possible," said Orgeron. "I think he can play end or tackle. I think he's doing very well for us."

Brown said he weighs between 255 and 260 pounds. If the move to tackle turns full-time, he's confident he can add weight.

"I'm sure I can put on a couple, but right now I feel all right," he said. "I'm just trying to learn it right now. I'm not really worried about my weight."

Brown wasn't the only defensive player working at different position this week, either.

Gerald Williams, who spent much of last season at end, has returned to the position after getting a look at linebacker to start spring practice.

"I'm learning," Williams said. "If I'm going to play a position, I might as well go at it hard."

Practice Report: Coach Lane Kiffin was pleased with how the offense, particularly the offensive line and running backs, responded following a lackluster practice Tuesday.

"They came out and really performed well from the beginning all the way through. Ran the ball extremely well today," Kiffin said. "I thought the intensity through the whole day of practice from the beginning to the end was probably the best practice that we've had."

Tailback Tauren Poole had a pair of long runs, something that's become commonplace for the rising sophomore.

"He's doing really well," Kiffin said of Poole. "Another example of a guy people haven't talked about very much, but has just come out here, kept his mouth quiet and really performed well."

Kiffin was pleased with the discipline on the offensive line, saying he couldn't recall any false starts Thursday.

Offensive coordinator and line coach Jim Chaney had his own take on that.

"We shouldn't have any false starts. We're going on 'one' every time. If we have false starts, we're too dumb to play the game of football," he joked.

Members Only Jacket: Kiffin has talked about using Tennessee's track record for sending players to the NFL as a recruiting tool.

Now it's a fashion statement, too.

Kiffin sported a pullover Thursday with "NFL Vols" embroidered on the front and back.

"We sent this to all our former players here that were in the NFL," Kiffin said. "I was sponsoring it for (UT assistant AD for student-athlete and letterman relations) Condredge (Holloway) today."

Paige Back: Wide receiver Ahmad Paige was a full-go at practice for the first time since crashing into a brick wall inside Neyland Stadium during practice March 13.

"I was scared when I first hit the wall because I got kind of a jolt and I was stuck there for a second," said Paige, who spent nearly 30 minutes on the turf after his injury. "Then everybody came rushing over, and that's when I kind of felt it was a little more serious than I thought it was."

Visitors: UT hosted a pair of unofficial visitors from Wilson Central High School in Lebanon. Offensive lineman Cameron Clemmons and fullback/linebacker Jordan Poole both attended practice.

Injury Update: Cornerback Brent Vinson (sore shoulder) did not participate in contact drills again. Quarterback Nick Stephens (right wrist) was limited, but he continued to make short throws early in practice.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RockinTop writes:

FIRST....LOL

vtvol#210290 writes:

Has anyone seen today's practice video on utsports.com? Dan Williams looks much leaner and quicker than last year. Mark Smith is doing some great things as S&C coach.

orangebass writes:

these guys are going to get it done. write it down.

iowavol writes:

Would like to see a little more on the running game stats, how did the defense do today, more data, please.

SEAL_9821 writes:

Put him at tackle...he's an athlete. He would fit in anywhere on that line.

TommyJack writes:

This staff knows its bidness.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to vtvol#210290:

By the time Smith gets through with our boys, they'll be in awesome physical shape.

By the way, do you have a link to the video?

govolsxtra writes:

I agree with vtvol that mark smith is doing an incredible jon as s&c. Just look at the before and after pics of some of the scarolina players which is where smith used to coach, the players look soooo much different.
I just want to know how b warren is doing and how much more of a beast Gerald Williams has become

CoverOrange writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

The price of electrons has increased so much KNS can't afford to use first names in the headlines.

vtvol#210290 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

By the way, do you have a link to the video?

For your viewing pleasure--

vtvol#210290 writes:

If Wes Brown or Montori Hughes can become the "chase man" at DT anywhere near the mold of Warren Sapp, Tennessee will having a dominant starting front four. Depth otoh, is another story.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to vtvol#210290:

For your viewing pleasure--

Got it - thanks.

Voluvr writes:

in response to vtvol#210290:

For your viewing pleasure--

nice clip thx

givehim6 writes:

Good to hear UT's running game & line is playing good! Something tells me we will need it.

prideofthesouthland writes:

in response to givehim6:

Yeah they will need it! Just remember that Kiffin probably wants to run once every 4 downs?

FWBVol writes:

You have to love Brown's attitude. He's putting the team first and is willing to do whatever it takes to get on the field and give us a chance to win.

If Brown can rotate between tackle and end it will keep the opposition guessing as to where he might line up. This could give us some distinct advantages in certain situations.

volstasis writes:

in response to givehim6:

Every team needs a good running game, gh6. I think we'll be OK.

Dennis_Rogan_The_Show writes:

I truly think our front four will not be as big of a question mark as people are thinking...Ben Martin was a 5 star recruit and has a ton of athleticism...I had a class with the guy and he is a smart MANChild, and will actually be better than Ayers was when it is all said and done...great guy...Gerald Williams is built for success, I just hope that he plays smart. Montori Hughes and Chris Walker are coming on, Dan Williams and Walter Brown both have proven to be solid starters...AND we have THE BEST D-Line coach in America...Our D-line will be good...if they aren't then we get a helluva recruiting class of d-lineman...Bleedin' Orange!!!

DisorientedVol writes:

Has anyone heard if there are recruits visiting this weekend? Go Vols!

SeanJean writes:

Brown said "Working like Heck." I hoped I'd never hear that phrase again.

Docrok writes:

in response to prideofthesouthland:

Obviously you dont know what Kiffin's offense is predicated on! A power running game is the staple of his offense! The pass is actually secondary in his offense, and developed by the running game

Docrok writes:

in response to DisorientedVol:

Has anyone heard if there are recruits visiting this weekend? Go Vols!

Kiffin said we had a top recruit coming for a visit this weekend on the Dan Patrick show earlier in the week

Dennis_Rogan_The_Show writes:

sep. 19th:

ut - 63
uf - 6

write it down

Just wanted to get that in there before kweergatorbait did, haha

golfballs03 writes:

This is funny (notice Mark Richt):

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to prideofthesouthland:

bs, run run pass...

cmoore7 writes:

I have heard nothing on Rae Sykes. I thought he enrolled for the spring. He looks mean as hell in some of his pictures. Anyone know anything?

murrayvol writes:

"We're going on 'one' every time. If we have false starts, we're too dumb to play the game of football." Jim Chaney

A cogent statement.

Jillelumpkins writes:

in response to RockinTop:

FIRST....LOL

you are an idiot. get a life.

murrayvol writes:

in response to golfballs03:

This is funny (notice Mark Richt):

Lots of posers on Twitter.

shoalcreekvol writes:

Seems like the players are actually enjoying playing the game. They sound excited again and anxious to get at it. I'm glad to hear that...

Volunatic writes:

in response to vtvol#210290:

Yes, but does it still feel like UT football is family?
(Okay, I'm kidding. Pass me the charts. I gotta watch some film and work like heck to get better. I don't want to get stupid overnight.)
GO VOLS!!! I can't wait until FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

proudtn writes:

Wes Brown is one of the best athletes on the field. His motor never stops. I hope things work out for him. He is giving his all for the team.

Pops writes:

Hopefully, next fall the article will read give Brown 6 -- referring to Bryce.

givehim6 writes:

in response to volstasis:

Every team needs a good running game, gh6. I think we'll be OK.

Yes, i'm pretty sure we will have a good running game. The thing that concerns me is, will the O line be able to open up the running lanes? I think last year that did hurt us.

VolFanNC writes:

in response to cmoore7:

He is still injunred and coming back. I thin CLK said he played more this practice than any other this year, but is still limited.

cmoore7 writes:

Thank you, sir.

Voluvr writes:

Typically, the USC line is known to be leaner, thinner, and faster. I guess they are getting what they are used to by necessity.

matrosscbc writes:

He said he is working like heck......never a good thing

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to VolFanNC:

I could have sworn Sykes was a Sophmore, but UTK sports list him as a Jr.

Does anyone know?

Txvol57 writes:

in response to cmoore7:

Watch the clip on Kiffin, He said that Sykes has been injured and they are working him in slowly

Docrok writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Check the articles from yesterday thats where I saw the link with the interview. The interview was from Wednesday.

BlueTickLady writes:

in response to Docrok:

Think it is a 5* OT from Indianapolis

RockyTopBoy writes:

You got to love the attitudes of Wes Brown and Aaron Douglas.