Crompton just comfortable

Kiffin praises QB who is 'having fun out here playing ball'

Should Lane Kiffin allow players to talk trash about Florida?

See the results »

View previous polls »

It didn't take long for Montario Hardesty to learn something about Tennessee's quarterbacks this spring.

From the first day of practice nearly three weeks ago, Hardesty saw a difference, especially in senior Jonathan Crompton.

"The first practice he came out looking miles ahead of where he was at this time last year," Hardesty said. "He looks like a different quarterback right now."

Hardesty isn't the only one who has noticed Crompton, either.

Following Saturday's practice in which the Vols ran about 120 scrimmage plays at Haslam Field, first-year coach Lane Kiffin singled out Crompton as one of the day's best performers.

"I thought Jonathan Crompton played extremely well at quarterback," Kiffin said. "He's making really good decisions with the ball, very few turnovers, getting the ball where it should be and handling the offense. When he's in there, he seems to have very good control of what's going on with the offense."

For the Vols, a different Crompton is a decidedly good thing.

Last year, he struggled out of the gate and finished the year with 889 yards, four touchdowns and five interceptions in eight games. UT's quarterbacks, Crompton included, had difficulty making reads last year and struggled to get rid of the ball on time.

This spring, though, Crompton has looked sharp with the football - and much more comfortable under center. Maybe that's because he feels more comfortable.

"Just having fun out here playing ball," Crompton said. "That's the big thing, just letting our reads make the decision for us instead of making the decision really for ourselves and trying to force it.

"If we see it, we see it; if we don't, we don't. That's one of the things I really like about this offense now. I let my keys make all my reads for me. I'm having fun with these guys. I'm getting great protection from the o-line, receivers are making plays for us. That's all you can really ask for right now."

As spring practice continues, though, more will be asked of Crompton and his fellow quarterbacks.

"We've just got to keep getting better in everything that we do," quarterbacks coach David Reaves said. "Decision-making is vital. And timing. Now we've really got to start getting into placement of the ball on different routes, upfield shoulder, back-shoulder throws. We got into some red zone this week and the guys responded well."

Junior Nick Stephens should re-enter the competition at quarterback in earnest next week. On Saturday, he threw some passes downfield, but his injured right wrist still won't permit snaps from center.

B.J. Coleman and Crompton have taken the majority of snaps so far, and on Saturday those snaps were essentially live ones.

"They're not totally live as far as when they're scrambling around and things like that," Reaves said. "We didn't put a (non-contact) shirt on them to protect them. Obviously the guys on defense are doing a good job of holding them up. But those guys have got to be able to play with the live bullets coming at them. They've responded well to it."

That approach makes the success even better, said Coleman, who took a tumble after completing a screen pass.

"When you come into this right here prepared with high intensity and high energy and you're playing live and things go good for you that day, you're sitting there feeling real polished," Coleman said. "You feel good. You feel like you're ready to go for what the coach has to offer you next. And it's going to get us prepared for the fall."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Related Links

dvols writes:

and thats what its all about.....

SignalMtnVol writes:

I hope the best for Crompton, and we'll have to trust CLK as far as the QB position, but all we heard last spring was how JC was doing really well at QB. I'm not trying to be cynical, but Crompton makes me worry.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

I believe our defense will again be top 5 nationally. If we can get average play from the QB, just manage the game well, the offense will be fine behind a strong running game.
I'm most interested to see if there will be improvement from the coverage teams on special teams and, of course, if our QB can move the offense.

ckeller18 writes:

Wasn't Crompton All-World in practice last year?? The lights get in some players' eyes, even in day games.

MillisaAnn writes:

I would rather see Gerald Jones or B.J Coleman be QB

volcycle writes:

I posted this earlier on the other thread....

Offensively, last year was an experiment with a way too difficult offensive scheme. My advice would be to forget what you saw last year from Crompton or anyone else because it won't look at all like what we saw last year. I think last year was just a total bust. Nobody looked good on offense. You know our guys had more potential in them than what you statistically saw from any of them. The only stat that kind of stuck out to me was that Foster only had one fumble, believe it or not, but that being the only positive was pretty sad. Count on next year being different. I believe Crompton will be surprisingly better!

Rick4UT writes:

This is very good news !!!!!!!!! Go Vols
Take your meds tatters/gators Tebow only has 1 more year

gohawks1 writes:

Gotta agree with volcycle here. Last year's offensive playbook was harder to understand than the concept of quantum physics. There's nowhere to go but up from last year's performance. JC will get the nod in game 1.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

and out by half time of game 2

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I predict Stephens will be directing the band very quickly.

Bring it, HCLK!!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

and out by half time of game 2

Possibly. If I could choose the starting QB for next year, I would pick Tajh Boyd.

qspr91iz writes:

The key to the entire offense will be our O-line. If they are strong our entire offense will be much better. They also need to stay healthy because we don't have much depth.
GO VOLS!!!

blitzshoot writes:

great news. makes you wonder what happened last year.

volcycle writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Hard to believe, but the stats only have him down for one. It indeed was a costly one that brought up memories of his previous ones in years past. I remember him being involved in two more exchanges where Crompton made a stab at getting him the ball, but wound up losing it.

I just think next year will be totally different for Crompton. I'm hoping for/expecting the Crompton we saw come in for Ainge against LSU a few years back. By far his best game to date.

volbald writes:

The news last Spring REALLY WAS that Crompton ran the offense well, could get the ball to the receivers, and knew the offense. GO VOLS!

HollySpringsVOL writes:

Just keep practicing hard and don't forget to bring it on game day.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

in response to HollySpringsVOL:

Just keep practicing hard and don't forget to bring it on game day.

So, you're saying that they should WORK LIKE HECK to get better??

iowavol writes:

in response to ckeller18:

That's a good question ckeller, but I don't believe he was. I remember he was only completing half his passes in practice last year and thinking this is not a good sign. This indeed is good news for both Crompton and the competition at QB.

bobbytodd writes:

I'm curious how the QB selection will effect the 2010 class. If Crompton starts then we may get a top 10 QB but if one of the younger guys start, the top prospects may go somewhere else. Once we have turned the ship around guys may sit for a few years but usually they don't want to unless its a Championship level team. Either way we need to go with the best player but it just makes me wonder.

TommyJack writes:

I never got what a complicated scheme had to do with not being able to make simple hand-offs, missing wide open receivers by miles, etc....Maybe JC will prove me worng.
I would hope the other two get plenty of snaps in practice.

DennisVols writes:

We will discover what many of us believed anyway. It was not the players as much as it was the coaches and how they prepared them for the game.

1manningfan writes:

TD_4_UT writes:

I hate to say this, but Crompton was said to look awesome last year in practice. Does anyone else think he just can't take the game day pressure? If they play Crompton I just lost a lot of confidence in what we will be able to do this year.

doh writes:

i hope crompton can get it done. last year was one that should be forgotten. that coaching staff is gone. i fault them for not adjusting our offense to help more.

bobbytodd writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I would hope the other two get plenty of snaps in practice.

Actually I had it happen in baseball. I pitched and played on Allstar teams every year. One night a ball came off a rock a smacked me in the face. I was gun shy for well over a year. It got in my head and even my hitting started to fall apart from thinking about the mistakes I was making in the field. The next year I had a good tournament and even made a few plays I shouldn't have been able to. The next thing you know I was back to normal.....Like Yogi Berra said..It's 90% mental and the other half is physical.

TD_4_UT writes:

WE NEED A GAME DAY QB NOT A PRACTICE QB!!!!!!!!!BOOK IT!!!!

1manningfan writes:

TommyJack writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Right. It's the 90% mental that has me worried.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

Actually I don't remember Crompton being referred to as awesome at any point last year. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the staff lacking full confidence in all of the QBs, even before the first game.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

hey, coach. I know we should have you up there rather than Kiff since you know so much.

Crompton bashers have no idea. Give the guy some slack. He has the coaches to bring out the best in him.

TD_4_UT writes:

I'm sorry, I thought this might happen, it's the Crompton bandwagon, these articles make me sick. I for one will not be jumping on!

nbt44 writes:

Coach Kiffin,

Just say no...to Jonathan Crapton.

All we heard last year was how great he was in practice.
Then when he played, he was the king of the choke.

Just say no.

windy writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

What makes me sick, is if you are a real true Vol fan, then what difference does it make who our QB is as long as he gets the job done to satisfy our coaching staff. You my friend don't sound like much of a Vol fan. Pull for the whole team of change to Fl or Al fan. We don't need fans like you

JohnnyVol writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Hey SignalMtn,
I'm like you. I don't want to be cynical, and want to see great success. But, we heard a lot of good things about Crompton in practice last year. In fact, I'm sure there were good things. It just seemed like he had trouble maintaining composure in games. Let's hope he is as good and maybe last year's problems were a system issue.

1manningfan writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

comparing Crompton to Manning hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah!!!!!!!!!Nebraka dude get real Nebraska straight dominated everybody and rushed for like 400 yards in that game , and last time i checked Manning dosen't play defense. Oh also manning had a F-up knee in that game.
D-bag!!!

Voluvr writes:

Have ya'll read Griff's article titled; Power Football returns to UT? whoa. See the scrolling pix on the home page to click on the story.

Best article written this year.

1manningfan writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Crompton bashers have know idea hmmmmmm???? i have a darn good idea of what he can do and thats throw the ball 20rows up into the bleachers and ground up a damn garden patch. Listen I hope he can turn it around, however if i was betting i defiantly am folding and not going all in.

Truth hurts get over it

Voluvr writes:

We'll see.

bratenn#307465 writes:

Check out this new "Lane Train" song

gohawks1 writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Best article written this year.

Agreed. Nice write up. I'm stoked!

Voluvr writes:

in response to DetroitVol:

Go to govolsxtra home page. At the top where the pictures scroll, go to Griff's article, Power Football Returns to UT.
This article is the best I've seen this year.

vipervol writes:

Crompton has all the tools to be good. All He needs is to be fluid with the play's. He has let bad play's get in His head. If He can get over that He will be good. I'm a Vol fan and We need to show whoever is on the field We support them! Crompton can be great if He can allow Himself to be.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to DetroitVol:

Voluvr writes:

Florida should be a 15 pt. favorite and they are going to lose.

wheel9468 writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Posted by bobbytodd on March 28, 2009 at 10:24 p.m.

Good analogy. Compare your little league baseball with SEC Football.
Idiot.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Yeah, we heard this same garbage from Crompton last year.... "I'm just out here doin my thang!!".... yeah okay. I hope he really is better this season, but spring practice isn't Fall football. Don't fool yourself Crompton. Just keep working or you'll be looking crazy on the sideline again this year.

Volunteer writes:

Some video of the scimmage today... Not much but if your as thirsty as i am you will drink too! LOL

Just click on the Tennesseee Vols All Access: March 28 date

vipervol writes:

We had one play last year from all of the QB's that worked. Deep down the middle. I find it hard to believe that all of our QB's are as bad as the results last year.

arkyvol writes:

crompton could be "miles ahead of where he was last year" and still be a mile short of mediocre.

volstasis writes:

I remember when Crompton come in for Ainge two years ago during the LSU game and run completely over Laron Landry on a scamble and then threw two longballs (40 yrds or better) for TD's. He has shown potential at times, but that butt whippin he took at Ark. the following week really blew out his confidence. I may have to backpeddle here come Sept., but I'm thinking Crompton comes out this year with his cofidence restored and has a really good year for UT. (Eight wins or better)