Kiffin praises Crompton, Hardesty, Walker

Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin liked what he saw from his Vols during Saturday’s game-like situations at Haslam Field. UT concluded its second week of spring practice, but not before making the first-year coach take notice on occasion.

“I thought Jonathan Crompton played extremely well at quarterback today and (Montario) Hardesty ran the ball well; and Chris Walker is unblockable right now,” Kiffin said. “I’m proud of where we are and we have to get back to work next week.”

Crompton was as crisp passing football as Hardesty was running, and the senior duo has the first-team offense clicking with six workouts in the books.

“The o-line is run-blocking really well,” Kiffin said. “We’ve got to get better pass-blocking - especially on third down - but I think they are blocking extremely well against a very good d-line.

“The first week, the offense ran the ball really well but the defense wasn’t moving around very much. But the defense ran a number of hard looks this week for them, so it was great to see our guys in extremely hard situations.”

Tennessee’s quarterback situation has been a point of emphasis, but so far Crompton’s efforts have been nothing but a positive for Kiffin.

“He’s making really good decisions with the ball, with very few turnovers. He’s getting the ball where it should be and handling the offense. When he’s in there, he seems to have very good control of what’s going on with the offense and I think the guys are responding to him.”

Among those responding well to the new defensive system has been Walker, a junior from Memphis who had 15 tackles last season including four for lost yardage and three sacks. His enthusiasm has sparked the entire team and made for lively days in the football complex, and Saturday was no exception.

“I thought the guys really came out with great juice,” Kiffin said. “We treated it like game day in our meetings and they really responded well for our first shot at a game experience as much as we could make it. I’m really proud of the guys.”

“They really battled all day. At one time, the defense was taking over but they went back and forth all day. I thought it was very competitive and thought they did a good job.

Head athletic trainer Jason McVeigh reports that sophomore offensive tackle William Brimfield is being slowed by a hamstring injury, while junior defensive back Brent Vinson is battling a sore left shoulder.

1manningfan writes:

volingreensboro writes:

"but I think they are blocking extremely well against a very good d-line."

I like the sound of the D-Line, I can't remember the last decent pass rush we had!!!!!! Coach 'em up CEO!!!!!!

samjrr writes:

Go Vols!

dvhill100 writes:

None of the quarterbacks showed they were quality SEC starters. I don't care who starts as long as they can do the job. I trust LK to put in the best one.

Colliervol writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

Better enjoy it. I would wager he's the opening day starter.

volfan2002 writes:

A good running game will open things up for the QB. We could not run the ball last year and also could not protect the passer. Were gonna be a lot better team this year just don't how many wins that will get us. SEC is the best league in the nation and it's not even close.

sctennesseefan writes:

Remember it's only spring practice. There's alot of work to be done before playing Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc. Don't get too excited just yet.

Rick4UT writes:

Crompton will be an average quarterback...He may border on
good. Go VOLS !!!!! reminder to the tatter / gator folks who are always bad mouthing on this site...take your meds
Tebow only has 1 more year.

TxFatBoy writes:

Ainge sucked his 2nd year too, maybe being coached a little better will help one of our current QB's to be competent if not good.

bigrob writes:

I think he will look much better than last year... Seeing as this is a much more simplke offense. But they are not talking me into believing he is a super star again this year.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Volnupstate:

I agree, I don't know about excel but I think he is light years ahead of last year in the new system. I believe that Clawson's offense was way too complicated.

dshawn13#224876 writes:

"Crompton will be an average quarterback...He may border on
Tebow only has 1 more yr

I agree. Cryer also has just one more yr

Wauconda_Vol writes:

Does this mean we actually have some receivers now?

OLROCKYTOP writes:

I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE WORDS "CROMPTON" AND "PLAYED WELL" IN THE SAME SENTENCE. WOW!!!!!

SamDusky writes:

Yep - Crompton practices well, plays poorly. I can empathize - I play great driving range golf, but as soon as I step up to the first tee, well ......

RockyTopBoy writes:

Lets remember that Crompton had a good spring last year, even in the O and W game. Lets hope it translates to the fall this year. I think, given the chance, Hardesty can be great (if he stays healthy). I'll never forget his run against Cal a few years ago. Anybody know what is going on with Chris Donald? I keep waiting to see his name pop up.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

in response to TxFatBoy:

Wasn't Erik Ainge hurt most of his second season?

tnfaninga424 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Give Crompton and the other qbs a break. Clawson's system was terrible, and nobody on the offense adjusted well. Crompton was good when he filled in when Ainge was injured. That was in a prostyle offense from a bad coach. . . think about what Crompton could do in a good prostyle offense under Kiffin.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

in response to tnfaninga424:

Clawson is not qualified to coach a childrens flag football team. How in the world did he land a coaching job at Bowling Green??????

tnfaninga424 writes:

in response to OLROCKYTOP:

He can talk his way into any job. . .look at what he did here.

TommyJack writes:

If CLK can turn JC around, he should be canonized.

belayvol writes:

Man i feel like Debbie the blowup blonde the way all this great spring training news is pumping me up. Oopps. i better stop that before gatorzz comes along and wnats to date me.

tnfaninga424 writes:

in response to peppervol:

Agreed 100 percent. . .there is going to be a huge turnaround this year on the offense.

belayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

If CLK can turn JC around, he should be canonized.

We need another Pope at TN. He could come through the T in his Pope-mobile.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

If CLK can turn JC around, he should be canonized.

But JC is undefeated in practice.

tnfaninga424 writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

The receivers we had last year were good with Cutclife as coordinator. Clawson just messed them up. They will be better this year. Imagine how explosive Gerald Jones can be in a good offensive system! GO VOLS!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Ditto.

StroVol writes:

in response to Volnupstate:

He excels under any system during practice. 4int's before being benched. Bank on it!!

givehim6 writes:

OK, jon boy had a good week buy let's not throw a party yet. There next week, the O&W game, then fall practice to go. I'm just waiting to see if he can hold it together till we get to sept. Then we will see.

beachvol1 writes:

Get off Crompton!!!!!!!! Give the guy credit for having a good day and hopefully it will give him the needed confidence he needs to give us a lift at QB...sounds like most of you want him to fail and if that's the case, you want the Vols to fail...get a grip on it and pull for the guy and forget the past 3 yrs...

tennesseebee writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

C'mon, man. I believe in JC. (Jonathan Crompton, too). He will be fine. Last year he had to much to learn all at once. The kid is TOUGH. Watch some of the hits he took last season. He's no daisy!

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

If CLK can turn JC around, he should be canonized.

LOL. Mega-dittos...

ctownvol writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

What's up zz? How's the world of warcraft treating you?

BUTCHug_JONES writes:

The good news is, no one wants to QBJC to prove himself and succeed more than QBJC, himself...except for me of course, and maybe QBJC's parents.

stroker writes:

Crompton was great in HS and seemed okay until last season along with the whole offense as he was not the only one who tanked. He just tanked worse than most. Let's just hope a new system along with a postive enviroment brings him back to his natural HS abalities. Whatta you say guys?

Hickmc writes:

I say give Jonathan Crompton a chance, like coach Kiff said everybody has a clean slate. If he earns the position it will be because he is the better of the 3 quarterbacks. Think back to last year and how the offensive linemen said they were confused on their blocking assignments. How many times did you see a whole open on one side where one blocker went left and the other right? Makes for a big hole and when you have a linebacker or defensive end coming at you wide out it's hard to make a read. Try throwing from your backside, it's not very easy.

I say get behind the whole team and again team means every player not just those you fancy. GO VOLS!!!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

I dont think Kif will be fooled by Crompton's being great in practice and choking in a real game. I have to admit this all sounds very familar.

TommyJack writes:

in response to tennesseebee:

Nobody doubts his toughness. The question is, can he run the team on game day?

belayvol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

What's up zz? How's the world of warcraft treating you?

He is having a rough week. There is a certain Naga that is kicking his azz all over the board.

stroker writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

What you no like self confidence or. He was better when he got there than when he left.

Hickmc writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Just remember 99 that was last year. There is a new sheriff in town. Have you forgotten your Ron Zook years? Also remember one more bad year in South Bend and Florida will be looking for more than just a new QB. By the way where is your clip from last years Florida vs Ole Miss game?

ctownvol writes:

in response to belayvol:

A naga?

"The naga are former highborne night elves who mutated into vengeful humanoid sea serpents."

Sorry. I had to look it up, but it does fit. Good one.

stroker writes:

in response to Hickmc:

Good job Hickmc,but we need not reply to these guys,makes them feel, you know.

belayvol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

A naga?

Sorry. I had to look it up, but it does fit. Good one.

I might be an old fart but i am pretty fly for a white guy.

crimsonviper writes:

what's up ctown??hope things are going your way

Pullingguard writes:

in response to dvhill100:

I am not sure that either QB can be evaulated based on the 08 season for those game plans were such that even Manning would have looked bad. So lets give the QB's the benefit of doubt until proves otherwise this 09 season.

kevin151 writes:

Coach needs to watch the GAME video of Crapton. He is awful!

belayvol writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Tebow would have been inept under our offense last year.

Hickmc writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Do you have the one where he Kisses his teammate?

Hickmc writes:

in response to Hickmc:

Do you have the one where he Kisses his teammate?

Him being Timmy.