Waggner appears to be more than apprentice

Tennessee safety Prentiss Waggner turned the field and some heads during the Vols' scrimmage Saturday at Haslam Field.

The redshirt freshman turned in one of the most impressive plays of the scrimmage when he returned an interception for a touchdown.

"It was Cover 2," Waggner said. "I read the quarterback's eyes and just broke on the ball to make a play."

Waggner would have had another interception if not for a penalty that was called on another defender that didn't affect the play.

"It was a big relief for me," Waggner said of his big day. "Coming in the spring, I was looking to make plays and impress the coaches."

Mission accomplished.

"Unbelievable football player," defensive backs coach Willie Mack Garza said of Waggner. "He's probably made the most progress from Day One to the practice today.

"He really, really did an unbelievable job out there. He stood out to me. Big hits. Big interceptions. Just big plays overall. He's a pleasant surprise. He's definitely going to be a player for us I think."

Waggner said he felt like he made a statement Saturday.

"I think it tells them that I have good ball skills and that I'm willing to do whatever to get my team off the field," the former Clinton (La.) High School standout said. "I'm also a playmaker when I get the ball in my hands."

Injury Update: Cornerback Brent Vinson will undergo surgery to repair his ailing left shoulder following spring practice.

The junior should be ready by preseason practice and can still participate in the remaining two weeks of spring drills, although he could be somewhat limited.

"It's hurting him quite a bit," Garza said. "As far as him learning the defense and getting acclimated to what we want from him and just team chemistry, it's hurting him. The more reps you get, the better off you're going to be.

"You can't get better in the training room."

Vinson suffered a shoulder separation on March 14. The joint has been an issue for quite some time, often causing Vinson to pull himself out of practice.

Scrimmage Stuff: Tailback Montario Hardesty said UT's offense started to jell after converting a third-and-11 early in the 120-play scrimmage.

"In the scrimmage, we started to forget (bad) plays and go on," the senior said.

Receiver Quinton Hancock caught two touchdown passes during UT's goal line scrimmage. One came when the senior slipped and fell yet still caught the pass from his knees. The other came amid tight coverage.

UT blew the final horn three times. On two occasions the Vols excitedly ran back out onto the field and continued to practice.

Tailback Talk: UT's offense seems ready to lean on the running game, even converting some third-and-shorts - relatively easily compared to last season.

"I definitely know that our offense wants to get after it run blocking," Hardesty said. "We didn't run the ball good last year. With this scheme, I think we can do that."

Hardesty said he's also been impressed with sophomore tailback Taurean Poole.

"Taurean comes out ready to compete every day," Hardesty said. "He's been doing some good things out there and I want him to keep pushing me."

Injury Report: Tailback Lennon Creer had to be helped to the sideline when he got caught up in a pile of players. The junior had his left knee examined and eventually returned to practice.

Offensive lineman William Brimfield has been limited by a hamstring injury, according to head athletic trainer Jason McVeigh.

Quarterback Nick Stephens threw more, although he iced his right wrist during practice.

Visitors: UT basketball coaches Bruce Pearl, Steve Forbes and Jason Shay visited practice along with basketball prospect Melvin Goins. The point guard from Mount San Jacinto (Calif.) Junior College is visiting Knoxville this weekend.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SignalMtnVol writes:

who threw that INT?

dvols writes:

wow our defense is awesome ..... and the offense is awesome....??????????
'
glug, glug, glug

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Don't know, but bet JC tossed to errant pig.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Hey KNS, you could make that title a little more obvious as to the reference of his first name.... it'd be pretty nifty:

Waggner Appears to be More Than an A-Prentiss

chargervol writes:

i am new to the board i am a vol fan and have been since i was old enough to watch football games with my dad rest his soul he died in november but i have kept the orage strong in my house and now i have a grandson in n.car. i gave him a shaker that i got at the 1998 sec championship game vs. miss.st. one way of making sure he doesnt become a tarheel or a wolfpack fan.i will be recruiting hard.

givehim6 writes:

Safety, is he backing up Berry? if so we are in great shape at safety!

scvols writes:

in response to dvols:

wow our defense is awesome ..... and the offense is awesome....??????????
'
glug, glug, glug

LOL!!!! Hey, give me some of that.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to chargervol:

Welcome aboard, charger! There's some good stuff on here, and some good and knowledgeable fans who are regular posters.

However, there are some Gator and bammer people who also live on this site because they don't have lives, and they'll say things to try to get the pot stirred. My suggestion, if possible, is to ignore them, although sometimes that's next to impossible to do.

Anyway, welcome again, and enjoy!

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

With all the poor QB play last season I don't want to hear about any interceptions. If Prentiss read his eyes than others will to. Got to keep the faith and hope we don't play like last season.

cheeze writes:

Haven't heard a word about fullbacks.

Hounddog writes:

in response to chargervol:

I know you are proud of your son and will miss your dad. I am sure you had many seasons togeher enjoying the Vols. One day your son will look back and say the same about you. I know, becasue that describes my house and sons. It's not about football, but keeping close with these important people in your life. Never allow for those times to stop.

stayingorange writes:

everyone needs to realize that it's a scrimmage, which means for our D to do well it must be at the expense of our O and vice versa. The O also scored many
TDs in the scrimmage but it doesn't have to mean the D is awful. If a
qb threw an INT in the scrimmage then it's a teaching moment for the coaches and hopefully a chance for the QB to learn before a game situation. It's also a chance for Prentiss to prove himself and gain confidence. You can't take any of the spring drills too literally, but I do get a sense the team is progressing well with lots of good activity from players on both sides of the ball.

BigOrangeScrew writes:

I'm just glad the practices have been opened back up and we can get a (somewhat) objective report on how things are really going. For years we had to rely on what the coaches told us... like last year when we kept hearing how well the offense was performing in practice.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I just can't believe that a team can practice really well and then stink it up on the field for the entire year. Let's all applaud the new coaching staff for trying to involve the fanbase and giving all of us some realistic info on our team..

tennezz writes:

in response to chargervol:

Welcome Charger, This is a great time to be a VOL fan, Things are going to get real interesting around here the next 2 or 3 years, sit back and enjoy!

kevin151 writes:

He should play instead of Morley.

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

why are you referring to Crompton as Crapton, do you have an ounce of class? It is not his fault he came to play in a failing system under Fulmer/Clawsen, or is it? Is it his fault he has had to learn 4 different offenses in 4 seasons? Lets look at it from his perspective-if you were Jonathon Crompton, looking back, would you still want to come to Tennessee if you knew you were going to have to deal with this and then be booed by classless fans? Especially since he has done nothing but given it his all for 4 years, dude obviously works very hard in practice and is talented, it is not his fault that the "systems" he inherited did not work in real game situations.

no one still around carries the burden of last years failing offense more than Crompton and whether you like it or not, odds are he WILL be the starter this fall. he doesnt deserve the disrespect and after all he is a Vol, just my .02 to the unmerciful Vol fans out there....

ColeTrickle writes:

just sayin', I am behind the guy 100% and from what I have read and heard I think Coach Kiffin is behind him too. Crompton was pretty much set up for a disapointing season, I personaly do not think it mattered who was under center, I think Fulmer realized that after he yanked BJ after his first pick and put Crompton back in, he knew the offense was doomed and probably his job too...

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

I agree.I think we will see a different Crompton on the field this year.Lets face it.One very big reason he looked so bad last year was the poor play of the O line.Give him more time to throw the ball,and he will be alright.The running game will improve,also.Kiffin is recruiting some big-name QB`s right now.So,let`s show these recruits how we really support our own.Let`s drop the insults,and give our team our full support.When we do that,we also help in the recruiting process.We might not win any championships this year.But good things are coming for the Vols.We will definitely see a BIG improvement this season.Don`t sleep on Tennessee.Any team who does could be in for a rude awakening!GO,VOLS!!!

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

The biggest problem we had last year was the o-line. If the blocking was better and opposing dlinemen werent getting in the backfield pretty much when the ball was snapped, i believe any of the three qbs couldve done a somewhat decent job, so yes i agree with you on it didnt matter who was under center at all.