Kiffin fans excitement

There’s always been an element of politics to football in the SEC.

On Monday night, Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin didn’t kiss any babies during a live appearance for “Vol Calls” and a Q&A session with fans in the parking lot at Texas Roadhouse in Turkey Creek.

But he came close.

After his 30-minute appearance on UT’s weekly call-in radio show, Kiffin greeted a steady stream of fans, signed autographs, shook hands and mugged for cameras as linebackers coach Lance Thompson took his turn on the radio.

Included in all that meeting and greeting was a picture with 4-month old Jill Rozelyn Wilson.

“I couldn’t stay at home when I heard about it,” said William Wilson, who brought Jill and wife Jennifer to the chalk talk session and stayed for dinner. “I had to come out and meet him. He’s just like they say, very approachable. He just brings a lot of energy. From when we took our little baby up there, he just grabbed her.

“She was crying and upset until Lane Kiffin held her,” Wilson said. “She kind of calmed down.”

Despite ruffling the feathers of some of his SEC counterparts, Kiffin seems to be pressing all the right buttons with fans in Tennessee.

Wes Hartup, who stopped in after work in Knoxville on his way home to Kingston, said he appreciated the opportunity to hear Kiffin speak to fans in person. He’s also excited for football season.

“One to 10, I’m a 10,” Hartup said. “I’m excited with the recruiting class. The coaching staff is unbelievable. I absolutely cannot wait to get over there. I got my tickets for the UCLA game lined up. I cannot wait to be over there.”

Among the highlights of Kiffin’s Q&A:

- Kiffin said Bryce Brown, the nation’s No. 1 recruit according to Rivals.com, is the best high school tailback he and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron have seen since Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, who the two helped recruit to Southern California.

“This guy is so exciting,” Kiffin said. “I’m not saying he’s Reggie, but there’s a lot of comparisons.”

- Kiffin also said Brown, who signed with UT earlier this month, has helped the staff create inroads with other national prospects.

“It’s really helped us nationally to get in the boat with some guys, Some guys that would have been harder just to get on campus are saying now we want that to be one of our five visits. It’s huge.”

- The Vols have installed about half of their offense through six practices. Kiffin hopes to have about 80 percent installed by the end of spring with the remaining 20 percent to go in during fall camp.

- Kiffin said true freshman defensive tackle Montori Hughes has had an “unbelievable spring” and called him the “surprise of camp.”

- UT’s defensive staff spent seven hours rewatching tape of Saturday’s practice, Kiffin said, even after he had given his coaches the day off.

“We actually beat him (the defense) one time in practice,” Kiffin joked to reporters after speaking, “and I don’t think the defensive staff got to sleep that night.”

- Kiffin again praised tailback Montario Hardesty and quarterback Jonathan Crompton for their performance this spring.

After being introduced as UT’s head coach Dec. 1, Kiffin went straight to the recruiting trail, where the Vols finished up Rivals.com’s 10th rated recruiting class. Since then, it’s been on to the class of 2010 and spring practice.

Still, Kiffin said he has tried to make time to meet fans.

“It’s extremely important,” he said. “I wish I could do it more when we first got here, but we obviously needed to go recruit and get some more players here. It’s always great to be out and around them.

“The energy that the fans bring here helps us so much in recruiting. I don’t think they realize that. We go to a basketball game and there’s 22,000 people there as they come up, they know the jersey numbers, they know the stats, they know the recruits’ names. That goes a long ways. These kids remember that. They come away with a great feeling and they feel like this is a place they could call home.”

On Monday night, those fans had some advice, too.

“I also gave him a challenge,” William Wilson said. “I said, ‘I’ll state you a fact: If you beat Florida this year, you’re bigger than Davy Crockett.’ ”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VAvolfanRON writes:

Adam...you may want to copy and past your comments from the Calipari article. Seem's also that your question was answered on this article...

Now we need RichRollins take on this......(if he hasn't exploded with excitement)

GahLee writes:

ust got back from the chalk talk with Coach Kiffin and Lance Thompson...man it was awesome. Lane came right out and stated a few things that we have all heard him say.

Working hard was a point that he hit home several times, he said that he gave all the coaches Sunday off, but Monte decided he would rather have a 7 hour meeting so they can look over some more tape. He talked more about Crompton and stated that he has played great so far and that he has really protected the ball well this spring

Coach also mentioned what a beast Walker has been and just how competitive it has been not only for the players but for the coaches as well. He mentioned Hughes and how out of shape he was when he first got here and how he would be gassed after one drill, and how far he has come since.

I actually got a chance to ask him a question, which was what did he think the impact Bryce Brown would have on recruiting. He elaborated by saying that other recruits will see that the number one rated player in the nation came here and decide to give us a look as well. He said that it was huge for us to get Brown...he also stated that of the 4 best players remaining after signing day that we got 3 of them and how big that was.

Then it was Lance's turn to speak...he talked about having a player like Eric Berry and what it means to have such a stud on that side of the ball and said that they are going to do whatever it takes to have him in position to make plays. He mentioned Reviez and said that he had all the intangibles to be very good and said that he is one of the best linebackers ha has ever coached.

I also had the chance to ask Coach Thompson a question...I mentioned that Chris Donald was a 5 star recruit who had yet to see the field, what is his status? He stated that he didn't like to put expectations on players that way...he said that he had coached several 5 star guys that didn't pan out and also mentioned the opposite end of that spectrum. He said that Chris was making progress and actually scrimmaged better this week than ever had before.

Well i hope that this well note worthy to all those who couldn't have been there, it was a cool experience, Coach Kiffin seems like a real cool guy...before he went on the sports animal at 8, my wife and my friends wife went up to him and got a few autographs signed to our sons...he did sign autographs for others during commercial breaks of the show...be he gave them shirts and signed them, so that was a cool thing to do.

All in all it was a pretty cool experience....Go Vols!!!

Vol_from_birth writes:

all this hype surrounding kiffin reminds me of when saban came to bama 2 years ago. i wonder if there will be 100,000+ at the orange and white game this year...

GahLee writes:

I know I will be there screaming my arse off.

supersteve17 writes:

Amazing! Get on the Lane Train!

ut18vols writes:

in response to Vol_from_birth:

I think we could fill the stadium but with renovations and all to the stadium i think there will be limitations to the crowd. fire marshalls rule not UT's most likely

stimo1 writes:

GO VOLS!!!I cant wait to see this team come fall. I can just feel the energy hear in Dickson,Tn

GahLee writes:

Well we can fill it as much as they will allow, not sure if any tight wallets will not show cause they are charging this year...it is only 5 dollars, but still, some people don't like opening the leather.

AllVol1 writes:

To those of us from the fine state of Tennessee, the comparison to Davey Crockett bears some import. However, this comparison would be lost on most recruits. Ultimately, that is where beating Florida next year will have the most dramatic impact. Don't get me wrong, I love Davey Crockett, but what Kiffen must prove, like it or not, is that he is bigger than Urban, bigger than Saban, bigger than Richt, and bigger than Miles. If, by some crazy alignment of the stars and the force of energetic intensity he and his coaches are bringing to Tennessee football, he is able to topple those four next year...OMG, forget about being bigger than Crockett, he would begin climbing the staircase toward the level of esteem of the good general, Neyland himself. A few years like that, and a couple of national titles, and he would be firmly placed in the pantheon of greatest coaches ever. There is the distinct chance that this is the auspicious birth of a dynasty. Do you hear that, my friends? The big orange sleeping giant stirs from his slumber...he's hungry, ravenously hungry...

dvols writes:

glug, glug,glug....

volunteer11 writes:

we definatly have better fans than alabama. we have the best fans in the sec hands down ive been to a game at every stadium. neyland is the best.

GahLee writes:

If we were to beat the BIG 4 that would be amazing, don't see us being that good this early but stranger things have happened. Does anyone remember Phil doing anything like this? I sure don't.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

It's kinda early but here's a list of some of the prospects that are interested in UT. Considering they haven't even played their sr year yet I'm sure it's bound to change. Still a good recruiting fix.

Voluvr writes:

He's got more money than Davey Crockett!

croweman writes:

I can't wait till the 18th. I live in South Carolina and all these "Chicken Heads" down here are driving me crazy. I'll be at the Orange & White with my Flags Flying all the way up I-40. Go Vols.

vol4good#206163 writes:

in response to Vol_from_birth:

I believe 10,000 is the limit due to construction. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to GahLee:

Adam,
Does anyone remember Phil doing anything like what?

Kiffen is 0 and 0...

I'm not sure what you are asking. Phil did booster meetings...Maybe not for us poor folk!!!..lol

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

that's what I heard also

stimo1 writes:

in response to GahLee:

All in all it was a pretty cool experience....Go Vols!!!

this guy should be a sports writer.accurate and to the point. thanks for the up date

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

Mike Hamilton was on sports talk last week and said it would be at least 60,000 maybe as many as 70,000. Just a section on the west side is all that will be closed. BTW, he said there's been more then 10,000 tickets sold so far.

Vol_from_birth writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

oh well if its only 10,000 then it would be very disappointing if we didnt sell out. no matter what, i'm pumped! go vols!

ZR writes:

Did anyone ask him when we are going to beat Florida?

GahLee writes:

in response to ZR:

Did anyone ask him when we are going to beat Florida?

No...he really just came out right from the jump and talked for about 10 minutes in a frantic pace...the guy goes 100 miles an hour all the time...he then fielded a few questions, none of which concerned the Gators.

dvols writes:

wait till u get to run through the T kiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sidwalkvol writes:

my son and I are coming from Gastonia, NC, for O/W. We went the whole way, got the special package with the posters and everything... we may not make it back in the fall for an actual game but we are looking forward to the Vol Walk and the fan time at Haslam and all that. Hope the band is there!

zigvol writes:

I sure hope he can coach as good as he talks.

BamaVol writes:

I'm new to this, I live in Alabama, and Alabama football is big, but my blood runs pure ORANGE. Hope everything I read comes true.

Go Vols

Vol_from_birth writes:

in response to dvols:

he'll run a lot faster through it than fulmer ever did at UT!

GahLee writes:

He can...just look at his track record...even in the pros he had an impact...before he got to Oakland they averaged 10 points per game and were 31st in passing and 29th in rushing. The next year they averaged over 17 points a game, 25th in total offense, and 6th in rushing...that is a big jump in just one year...no need to announce his accomplishments at USC, they speak for themselves.

zigvol writes:

I hope you are right I'm tired of sucking.

dvols writes:

in response to Vol_from_birth:

he'll run a lot faster through it than fulmer ever did at UT!

hopefully he will slow down as well after some championship rings!

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

So where can I buy tickets for the Orange and White game?

GahLee writes:

I feel your pain to some degree...But we have had only 3 bad seasons in the last 20 years, granted 2 of those have came in the last 4 years...when the dust settles UT will come out smelling like a Rose[bowl]. You gotta have talent, no doubt that we will have that, look what they did in 3 months. As far as X's and O's, I am not concerned in the least bit about that...Kiffin called the plays for USC when they were slaughtering teams, Monte's history speaks for itself. Coach Gran is one of the best RB coaches in the nation...the same could be said with Thompson at the LB position...Coach O...that dude is just intense, he will have those guys running through walls...one component that I think has been overlooked is strength and conditioning coach Mark Smith...if you have ever seen his players in a before and after photo it is mind-blowing...of course we have Eric Berry, a living legend and I'll tell you why, everybody wants to be Eric and Eric is still alive!

govols22231 writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

They had 75,000 the spring after the 86 Sugar Bowl. It looked full because everybody was spread out. I know people are excited but I don't sense that level of excitement just yet. There was 3,000 at Gibbs Hall when the buses arrived back on campus from the Sugar Bowl. Never seen anything like it. That was a different time in a different era. A historic chapter in the book of Tennessee football

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

do y'all realize how wierd it must be for him to be in Tennessee?? No, you probably don't. I'm a Tennessean, but live elsewhere. I've been gone so long that I really do notice the 'accent' and the sayings.

Please, please, make sure Lane understands "y'all". It is correctly used to address 'more than one', as in a GROUP. It is NEVER used to address an individual. You can spot a Yankee spy a mile away, 'cause they'll be talking JUST to you and say "y'all ridin' Sally to the game?" whereas a true Tennessean says "you drivin' Sally to the game??".

"you", "y'all"...it is a big deal, ya know??

chaos001 writes:

in response to PepperGrinder:

So where can I buy tickets for the Orange and White game?

www.utsports.com and click on tickets. just keep clicking until you get to the Orange and White game tickets.

givehim6 writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

Wow, all CLK has to do is win 8 or 9 games, play UF close or even beat them. And he can pick and choese player like he did at USC.

jimvols13 writes:

in response to GahLee:

All in all it was a pretty cool experience....Go Vols!!!

Hey thanks for that insight, I wish I could have been there. What was the crowd like?

p.s. I really hope fans fill the O&W game up. We gotta show our new coaches and players what its like here in Knoxville: passion, excitement, etc.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to GahLee:

All in all it was a pretty cool experience....Go Vols!!!

Thank you.

You my friend,would make a damn good reporter.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

"you", "y'all"...it is a big deal, ya know??

Good post concerning the correct usage of "you all", but you left out an important part. Any one wanting to properly use the term should know the plural of you all -- "all you all" or "all y'all".

"You all" (y'all) is appropriate for small groups, but for larger numbers (no specific number), "all y'all" is more proper Southern speak.

lol.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to volunteer11:

We may be the fastest fans to empty out when we lose. Last year did happen. To many empty seats when we get behind-the team deserves better than that! Go Vols

VolInIndy writes:

Jawga news from Chattanooga Times Free Press:
"Only three scholarship defensive ends were available, and that number to two when redshirt freshman Jeremy Longo left with a shoulder injury. Richt did not know the severity of Longo’s setback and had to use tackles Atkins and Kade Weston to help at that spot."

"Offensive line signee Austin Long of Memphis had to undergo back surgery Monday and will redshirt this season."

Also sounds like their QB play is lacking.

friendut writes:

in response to croweman:

I'll be there, too, Croweman. I live in Greenville and am so sick of the "chickens heads" and "clemoids" football around here, it is a pain in the azz. I just tell those roosters that they are going to get "kiffed" this year.

kennedymj1#206091 writes:

As a Vol Fan in FLORIDA, I say "GO VOLS!!!!!".....I like what I'm hearing. Now let's do it on the field.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

LMAF!! Now thats funny,I don't care who you are!!! GO VOLS BEAT THOSE PEE DRINKING MONKEYS FORM THE SWAMP!!

smokyredbone writes:

FROM!GOT A LITTLE EXCITED.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to dvols:

hopefully he will slow down as well after some championship rings!

dvols,

He might have to slow down some,you cant run to fast when both hands and a chain full of rings are weighing you down !!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to mlsoft#228820:

lol.

with the added connotation (usually) of dismay, as in "all y'all comin'? I only got one keg...."

ethanfrome writes:

I can't wait for the Orange and White game either. I hear that Kiffin and Smokey are going to explode through the T leading the team in a fast-paced haul, and that CPF is going to be in the rear riding on a donkey, wearing a straw hat (the donkey - with two holes poked in the hat for her ears). It is going to be great! I am so pumped!

GREEKDAWG writes:

Got to watch this as "the spokesperson of the gatornation in the state legislature"