Cafego to enter West Virginia Hall of Fame

Longtime Tennessee football legend George Cafego was one of six individuals named over the weekend to the 2009 class of the West Virginia Coaches Association North-South Hall of Fame.

All six native West Virginians played in the state's North-South All-Star Game and went on to gain football distinction at higher levels.

The six, George Cafego, William Russell Craft, Alex Hawkins, Leon McCoy, Bobby Moss and Floyd (Ben) Schwartzwalder, will be inducted June 20 at the North-South Game at Charleston's Laidley Field.

Not long after George Cafego's death in 1998, sportscaster Keith Jackson offered a tribute on national television. "Nobody's name rests higher in Tennessee football than George Cafego,'' Jackson said.

Cafego, a Scarbro, W.Va., native and Oak Hill High School graduate, played in the 1936 North-South Game and began his college career at Georgia. But after one year, he transferred to Tennessee, where he twice earned All-America and All-Southeastern Conference honors as a 5-foot-10, 169-pound quarterback. He also punted and returned kicks.

Cafego died in 1998 at the age of 82.

panties4tebow writes:

GO VOLS!

pabashia#208095 writes:

BAD NEWS

panties4tebow writes:

Off subject I know but we got a chance today to sit down with teblow today and ask him/her a few questions today regarding the tebow panties.

(Q) What is your thoughts on the tebow panties?

(A) Not happy at all, I wanted them to be called teblow.

(Q) Why panties instead of a jock called tebow?

(A) I prefer panties because that is what I have worn all my life.

(Q) How did you come up with the idea of tebow panties?

(A) Actually two guys named gator4 and dc gave me the idea, they where always begging me for the panties I wore during games

(Q) What do you think of the press it has brought to the school?

(A) I admit I was jealous because of all the great press the great University of Tennessee and their new great coach, Lane Kiffin, was receivng so I thought this would be a great way to swing some of the press to my school but it has backfired.

(Q) Are you concerned that people will laugh at you on away games this year because of the panties deal?

(A) I don't care I am glad to wear panties and will always wear panties the rest of my life

(Q) Are you concerned people might throw panties at you or that the students section of the opposing school might be waving panties at you during the games?

(A) Great, if they throw them at me I will collect them up and take them home with me to add to my collection, and if the students start waving them at me I will gladly show them the panties I am wearing and will wave back

Volunatic writes:

We can do without the Keith Jackson quotations. I'm sure there was a better tribute to George Cafego than that.

IdahoVol writes:

Great player and great coach. Wish we had another kicking coach like him.

CrankE writes:

Before there was Chuck Norris, there was George Cafego.

(sung to the Theme from Shaft!)
...they say this Cafego is one baaaad mutha
SHUT YO MOUTH!

mattingly writes:

Here's the full Keith Jackson comment on George Cafego from Jan. 4, 1999: “Phillip Fulmer went to see George Cafego, who is an absolute legend in Tennessee football history, two days before he passed away. George said, ‘Good luck. I’ll be watching.’ Good night, George… and thanks. Nobody’s name rests higher in Tennessee football than George Cafego.”

Why is there a Tim Tebow "panties" story on this site?

CoachNeyland writes:

I have the best tribute... a tattoo of him:

Couchdummy writes:

in response to mattingly:

Why is there a Tim Tebow "panties" story on this site?

To answer your question, we have some single digit IQ people who try to ruin a good KNS sports forum. Idoits like this Tebow poster, the "1st" posters, and the gator posers are ruining this site. I would be willing to pay for site priliviges if KNS would be able to banish abusers such as these.

belayvol writes:

One of my favorite Vols. George carried such a grudge against a certain unnamed SEC school located in Nashville,he refused to say the name of the school when coaching at UT. I still think UT did him wrong when they honored him during a game. They gave him a used car at halftime.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Yep, the used Lady Vols van.

Reportedly, he gave it back.

utbandman#209800 writes:

As native of Scarbro, WV, and a UT grad I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cafego on a few occasions. He never failed to stop and have a pleasant conversation even asking how my grandparents were doing (my grandfather played sand lot ball with him as young boys). It's really kind of embarassing that it took the state of West Virginia this long to induct such a great football player and a fantastic man into their HOF.

Ralph_Crampton writes:

There have only been several Volunteer football players to ever become a household name in America. Are you aware that Peyton Manning and George Cafego were the only players selected first in the pro draft...ever. Cafego was much like Walter Peyton at his best...before he suffered a unique knee injury that never really healed. Dogged by the injury, it hampered his pro career. He was sort of adopted by the nation's scribes...Not since has a Vol player been praised so highly during his college days. Cafego had intended to become a baseball player until the great Bob Neyland spotted him playing baseball in Oak Hill, West Virginia by sheer accident. The Tennessee coach was in Oak Hill to observe another prize recruit whom he observed for two innings and the so-called great recruit lacked something that only the great ones can see..Neyland, the crafty Vol coach, however spotted another player...George Cafego..as a future great Vol tailback...he rushed on to the field and offered Cafego a scholarship at Tennessee not knowing for sure if Cafego had ever played football. The rest is legend, Cafego led the Vols to smashing victory after victory as Neyland led him and the Vols to national glory. Neyland had the God-given talent to spot a great athlete...that few coaches ever had. Cafego is buried in Oak Lawn cemetery in Oak Hill...his tombstone only reads' George Cafego, U.S. Army. If you ever get up that way, stop and visit his grave.