React on Daniel Hood signing with UT ranges from the snarky to the Biblical

Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood

If it were allowed, Daniel Hood's Tennessee football jersey number should come with an asterisk for "extenuating circumstances" to put it politely.

Whatever the career of Hood has at UT, and beyond, part of the story of Daniel Hood will always be his participation in the kidnapping and rape of a 14-year-old cousin while he was but 13.

The reaction across the Internet on Wednesday to the news that UT had signed the Catholic High School star to play football didn't completely break along school fan lines. Many UT ardent fans are troubled with this one, while others strap on the Big Orange sunglasses and say this is a wondrous thing. Even a few Vol and Lane Kiffin haters, however, say maybe this is the right call for this young man.

Here's Dennis Dodd at CBSSports.com: "It's hard to find a soft place to land on this issue. Almost every other school ignored Hood because of his past. Tennessee took a chance, perhaps because it is Tennessee. Lane Kiffin's stated goal is to make the UT brand visible to everyone. This ought to do it. Hood guarantees that one one point, Tennessee will be seen on ESPN, CNN, The 700 Club and The O'Reilly Factor. Maybe in the same day."

And Clay Travis at the NCAA Football Fanhouse: "Daniel Hood will run through the T this fall only because he was such a young juvenile when he committed this crime that he didn't go to prison. Otherwise instead of wearing orange and white next fall, Hood would be wearing an orange prison jumpsuit. There's something really wrong with that. And I think it ultimately says more about us, than it does about Daniel Hood."

Spencer Hall at SportingNews, who describes himself as a Kiffin hater, wrote: "Lane Kiffin is doing the correct thing in one sense: if you're going to bring a player with a questionable past into the program, take every step you can to be completely transparent about it. Rather than fudge away at the details and demur, Kiffin is staking the very legitimacy of his program on his ability to judge the character of players as he sees them. When you go all-in, they make you turn your cards face-up for a reason. Lane Kiffin seems happy to do that, and for that he should be commended -- just as he'll take the loss if Hood snaps even once on the short leash Tennessee if offering him."

At the 3rd Saturday in Blogtober blog: "Basically, I believe the kid deserves a second chance, and I think he’s done more than enough to prove himself rehabilitated. Some may want to say, “So what, that doesn’t mean he should get a chance with Tennessee.” Why not? He’s a local kid, and he has spent six years living with what he has done. He spent his time in juvy, and he came out of it on the other side a better person. He didn’t feel sorry for himself, and he has tried to move forward. He has adjusted well, is an honor student, and has shown maturity throughout this whole process."

If Hood has a heroine in this media morality tale, it's his victim. Many are swayed by the support the rape victim is giving Hood's desire to play at Tennessee. There's a "If it's OK with her, it's OK with me" line of logic to let the kid play.

That seems to be an easier ethical elephant to swallow than the theme of "he deserves a second chance," especially when the second chance just happens to come at one of college football's elite programs and he happens to be a very good football player.

But another theme you're likely to read, "forgive and forget," is not likely to happen. Google never forgets. A decade or more from now, type "Daniel Hood" in a search engine and you're likely to be right back here.

Below is a sampling of what both bloggers and mainstream media are saying. If you see a great post I've missed, email me at lailj@knoxnews.com

Powered by Publish2

Related Stories

old_number1 writes:

Ok. I'm going to say it. Fir... No, can't do it.

teampenny#658108 writes:

This is a big risk signing this kid. I hope everyone is pulling for him to do well. More troubles a young man has whether it is grades, mental illness or trouble with the law before he gets to the university the more likely he will have trouble during his stay there. I do hope LK and staff does not keep signing these high risk players. Sooner or later we will be burned. Please do not sign that player from Georgia that went after the female teacher. One last thought, what does the group on campus the works with rape victims think of this signing. Every thing is off my chest, pray the young man has changed. Go Vols

gnm53108 writes:

in response to MakerDew:

Thanks Maker.

I needed that.

Now I'm thinkin about something cold and frost brewed.

Go VOLS!

campbo73 writes:

This happened 6 years ago. He has not been in any trouble sence. So get over judging people.

Vol_Fan_N_NC writes:

I can't believe you get paid to write this stuff.. Not only is this a horrible article where you got your thunder from other articles on this issue, but there were more gramatical errors than I could count. What? are you in the 9th grade?

allvoltrey writes:

HOOD IS NOT A RAPIST! i am good persoanl friends with him and im sick of supid ignorant "vol fans" calling him that. the case clearly shows that the only thing he did was nothing to prvent the rape. most 13 yearolds dont even comprehend what rape really is. so how bout all of you get your facts right and stop bashing daniel, he is the hardest working, most sincere and honest people i know. I would give my life for this kid, because i know all of the good he will do. He is going to be the type of role model we need at UT, and if is going to be a repeat offender dont you think he would have done that by now. Its been 6 years and no incidents, everybody who knows him loves him. so with that said let all of you idiots bash now, but by God none of you better be appluading him 4 years from now when he gets that degree, or is drafted.
GO VOLS! GO DANIEL!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to allvoltrey:

GO VOLS! GO DANIEL!

Well said. It won't stop the sanctimonious self-righteous posters from bashing him, but well said. Like you said, I didn't even know what rape was when I was 13, and a 17 year-old (like the one sent to prison for this crime) can have enormous influence on a 13 year-old boy.

jopad#212858 writes:

let's remember the former UT player from Warner Robins Georgia who had trouble on a visit to Florida. It, too, had something to do with improper actions toward a female student there. All schools backed off his scholarship offers except Fulmer at UT. He came to the Vols, became a starter, graduated, and so far as I know was a good citizen of the community. Lets hope that Hood turns out the same way. Give him a chance.

hotrodvol writes:

JayTee writes:

Why don't you people at the KNS find something else to write about? If people wanted a paper with cr*p like this in it they would buy a National Enquirer.

tan007 writes:

You didn't know what rape was at age 13? What rock were you raised under?? Every 13 yr. old I know definitely understands the meaning of rape. It is a horrendous act and if this young man stood by and let it happen without trying to get it stopped, why do we want him on our football team?? I know I don't.

golfballs03 writes:

in response to allvoltrey:

GO VOLS! GO DANIEL!

You are obviously biased. 13 year olds can't comprehend what rape is? That is insane.

Again, this situation doesn't have as much to do with him, per se, as the University. UT is trying to improve it's image. Accepting kids who were accomplices in rape or sexual assault or whatever won't help their image. I'm glad that he's turned his life around, and I wish him the best, but I think there are other programs that would be better suited to take him.

volzcrushm writes:

I'm from kingsport where daniel grew up and know his father. The man is a physical giant and works as a bail bondsman. He knows a lot of the legal system folks and works with them often. He is a man of integrity and has a great personality. The people here absolutely love the guy. By lookiing at Daniel's track record at Catholic high, and hearing what all those around him have to say for him, i would say he's much like his well respected dad. If the victim and the lord has forgiven him.... why can't the critics?? ....are they mightier? ....or heartless?

al2476 writes:

I say give the kid a chance, Coach Kiffin will react to any trouble that could arise from him, which from what I know , never will.

old_number1 writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

I'm glad somebody else said that, I've said the same thing on other posts. This guy was 13! many here dont remember how stupid they were at 13!! My kids are 18,15,and 13. I know how stupid they can be. We as a society do not need to bury a kid for something that happened at 13. If he can qualify for U.T., then he can play on the f-ball team.

TommyJack writes:

Give it a rest. Will possibly become a huge success story for UT.

Docrok writes:

in response to allvoltrey:

GO VOLS! GO DANIEL!

While I applaud your loyalty to the young man, and realize that while he did not participate in the actual penetration of the young lady. I must correct a couple things. First of all he assisted in holding her down and assisted in taping her up! Additionally he retrieved the items necessary to implement the act. These are not mere omissions of action! The make him an accomplice to the rape and a participant in the kidnapping, therefor punishable by the same penalties! However he was 13 and being influenced by an older teen most likely. I am all vol and I am a big LK supporter! But I am COMPLETELY torn on this particular issue! First of as a father and as someone who routinely deals with these kinds of issues, it torments me to think that he may one day makes millions of dollars and and be a role model to others! However it also does not escape me that the boy was 13 and being influenced heavily by a 17 year old. He has lived a model life since the event and has attempted to make retribution for his acts so by societies standards he should be given this chance! When I think of crimes I think of the victim, and the victims family and the impact it made on the victims life and personal well being! It seems obvious that the coaching staff has really put a lot of thought into this and I would not want to be the coach! Because if you say no, you are telling the boy that society doesnt really allow you to be rehabilitated and doesnt allow you a second chance despite what you are told! But if you tell him yes, those who only read the headlines and the garbage that columnist such as Mr Adams writes will condemn the coach and the team! Quite a predicament for a first year coach!

hotrodvol writes:

in response to volzcrushm:

Crush, with this crew one strike and you are out. CLK is giving the guy another strike, and KNS just wants to make a story out of it.

old_number1 writes:

in response to hiresanders:

You do realize that you make everyone on this site sick to their stomach? Sorry I want to type more, but I need to throw up!!!

panties4tebow writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Get real - Vick is not available... You are the lame one!

panties4tebow writes:

in response to hiresanders:

KCHS63 writes:

in response to old_number1:

Don't mind hiresanders. He just hasn't figured out how to change his name to timcouchformvp.

golfballs03 writes:

in response to old_number1:

Are you serious? Rape is just a stupid mistake? I hope that your kids know that it's a serious crime too. Good grief. It's one thing for people to accept Tennessee's decision to give this kid a chance, and it's another thing to down-play such a HEINOUS CRIME! Being 13 years old doesn't make it any better - by that point you can distinguish right from wrong. What he did was disgusting.

panties4tebow writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Hey thoothless - Who is Kiffen? Perhaps your boyfriend?

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to hiresanders:

In a post earlier this week you were excited to find out that Gay Marriage was available is some states. How is that working out for you? You seem smitten with Lane, but he is already taken. Maybe Joker is single. The H in Hiresanders will always stand for Homosexual. (not that there's anything wrong with that, a persons sexual preferance is entirely up to them).

golfballs03 writes:

I'm sure that we can find a tight end who is just as deserving of a scholarship yet hasn't raped a 14 year old girl.

marvinVol writes:

I guess the critics expect that if you make a mistake, that you can't be given a second chance like the Catholic school gave and Kiffin. I guess their solution to it would be for him to continue to be a criminal the rest of his life since no one will give him a chance. So much for the critics being a law abiding person. Hood did his time at where ever it was and has abided by our laws. Give him a chance. Thats what its all about.

Go Vols!!!!

Docrok writes:

in response to golfballs03:

You are correct sir by the age of 13 every child should know the difference between right and wrong! However know the knowing full parameters of the consequences for those actions are a little more difficult to comprehend at 13 which is why the courts distinguish between adults and juveniles! Most and I repeat most 13 years do not realize the actions they take whether right wrong or indifferent have lasting consequences! That goes for you and I at that age also! Otherwise we would have all listened to our parents and made less then a percentage of the mistakes we have all made! Am I justifying what he has done? No! In no way! Read my earlier posts and you will see this is a bit troubling for me! But I do realize that there is a huge difference between 13 and 17 in how our mind process information and evaluate circumstances

AustinTX_Vol writes:

in response to marvinVol:

Go Vols!!!!

No kidding! They make it out as if he must now become a serial rapist. God forbid the kid realized he screwed up and he wants to make amends. Screw up once and you're a screw-up for life is the way the critics think it should be.

panties4tebow writes:

Here are some of the Saints Pope Urban has recruited. Check back for updates as this list gets longer and longer each day

Marcus Thomas: Gator great who failed multiple drug tests but was reinstated by Urban Meyer in time to defeat LSU and then dismissed from the team afterwards when he failed another test.

Brandon James: The Gator version of Devin Hester was caught during a buy bust attempting to purchase marijuana. His punishment? Suspension from practice!

From Losers with Socks.com: The 7-Man shower Self shooting gun incident, Gator players led by Dee Webb, Andre “Bubba” Caldwell and Reggie Lewis had a $60,000 SUV loaded with improperly registered AK’s and other machine guns… and they were all drunk while shooting at apartment windows for fun.

Taurean Charles slammed his girlfriend on a computer desk and then picked her up and threw her to the ground.

Percy Harvin hasn't gotten into trouble at Florida but did slug a ref and steal memorabilia when in High School.

Jon Demps: Which arrest do I list?
Jermaine Cunningham: 1st degree battery

Jarvis Moss: A failed drug test led to a suspension against a 1AA opponent.

Riley Cooper smashed a car windshield from outside with a passenger in the vehicle and then threw a punch in a parking lot brawl.
Jamar Hornsby used a credit card belonging to the father of a deceased former UF student more than 70 times and charged more than $2,800 worth of merchandise throughout the state.

Ronnie Wilson fired a semiautomatic weapon into the air after a nightclub incident. Also arrested for a DUI on a separate occasion.

Tony Joiner may have been misunderstood but regardless of what people think, prancing around towing lots at 5am when you should be fast asleep deserves a mention.

Dallas Baker stole a bicycle on campus claiming he was late for a meeting.

Dustin Doe punched a man during a gang fight outside a nightclub and was promptly arrested. Assault and Battery was the charge.

Ronnie Wilson trampled on a man and spit on him before being arrested. Firing and displaying a concealed weapon.

Dorian Monroe took a parking boot off his car and stick it in his trunk.

Each of these above incidents took place in the 3 1/2 years of Urban Meyer's stewardship of the Florida program. Remember Meyer's hiring in December 2004 when he said he'd bring "discipline" back to the Florida program?

Docrok writes:

in response to marvinVol:

Go Vols!!!!

That is the way the system is set up you are correct and it is that system that has placed Kiffin in the situation which "required" that he give this kid a second chance. Society and the legal system we have tells people that its ok to make a mistake if you pay for it and move on with your life which this kid has! Does that excuse or forgive his actions, not in my eyes! But in societies eyes it at least makes him eligible for that second chance! But as I stated earlier I am very torn on the issue!

nvavol writes:

I wonder just how many of you who are posting all of the negative comments about this have lived perfect lives and never committed an action, significant or otherwise and especially when you were young and immature, that you will remember and regret for all of your life. Nobody's perfect and this country was started and continues to be about providing second chances to everyone. I've learned over the past 60 some years, that those who make the most noise about issues such as this often have the most to hide and hope that the world never finds out about their mistakes. Some learn from their mistakes, move on and lead solid lives, some don't. In my opinion, some of you are just moralistic jerks.

Docrok writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

If you have read all my posts then you know that I am torn on the issue! This is a very heinous crime that was committed and stirs up alot of emotions! Aside from Murder, Rape is probably considered the second most heinous crime! And it is this reason that does not make it a black and white issue! There are alot of grey areas in this circumstance! They stem from the heinous nature of the crime yet the apparent complete transformation the kid has made! If he had burglarized a house or was a drug user or some other lesser crime it would not be an issue nor would anyone care! However this is a very difficult situation

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

For many years I have refused to read what detractor John Adams had to say, but because of the unusual circumstances surrounding this recruit Daniel Hood, I read most of what Adams breaking article had to say. Now that the details of this case has been brought out for all of us to see, is there a more pathetic columist than John Adams? Adams is so anti-Tennessee that he could not see the good that has now come out in this tragic but now life changing case. It will be many more years before I ever read what he has to say again.

golfballs03 writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Nobody is arguing that he can't be a member of society.

Basketball_Jones writes:

I am so sick and tired of hearing about this. Everyone has an opinion on who, what, why, and how this should go or should have gone but its not up for any of us to decide.

Many have asked the question "Well what if it was your daughter?" or "Well what if he was your son?" We all know that dads will treat their daughters much different fom their sons. From dating to curfew to how we deal with them when they injure themselves, but this is a different circumstance.

1st of all if that was my daughter, I would be in prison for what I would have done to him. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe, but I'm sure my initial reaction to his crime would have been to make sure he never had a chance to rape or even have sex again.

If he was my son, I would definitly hae punished him but I would also wish for him to have a second chance. Now maybe thats wrong also but he was a 13 y/o being influenced by probably someone he looked up to at the time.

I'm not a religious man by no means but many religious folks always say "Thou Shalt not Judge" but it seems to me many people are breaking that unwritten Commandment with this kid. Lets give him a chance and see what happens. He has gone 6 long years with this burden. He probably has been ridiculed at every game he has played in. Now he's on our team, lets support him and welcome him to the Volunteer Family.

panties4tebow writes:

Directions to the University of Felons Stadium/Panties Field in gainesville:

Take I-75 South and take the gainesville exit, turn left onto lyin' meyer road, go 1 mile (and as you pass gator4 and dc's trailor, just past the biggest outdoor toilet you have ever saw, please throw rocks or whatever) to tebow Panties Blvd and take the next right onto Circumcision Road and go 1 block then turn right onto Redneck Drive and go 3 blocks and then turn onto Cheater Meyer Road and go 1 block and take a left onto Convict Circle and follow the row of prisons until the smell overbears you and you will be at the Felons Stadium/Panties Field formely called the swamp.

PumpVOL writes:

This "win at all cost" attitude is what got Foolmer in trouble. Whether or not he has been forgivin by everyone and has "found christ" doesn't matter. He is a rapist, always will be a rapist. It is pathetic that he is even associated with UT, worse that we as taxpayers are paying for his education.

I have news for you, 13 years old or not, RAPE is RAPE. And to sit back and defend him by saying he didn't know he was raping someone is just ignorant.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to allvoltrey:

GO VOLS! GO DANIEL!

I for one know his struggles. However don't make him out to be less than he his or more. He may not have stopped it due to fear but did he have to laugh about it when it was going on?! I want to see him go on and be successful. You play college football at an SEC school you will be put under the light. That's going to happen. So get bent out of shape if you want to.
My whole point is that people being in fear don't normally laugh while a sexual assualt is going on then go and watch TV with his fellow attacker.
Second chance? Okay let's try it.
Less serious crimnal cause he did not shove the plugged into her? No!

ALL_VOL75 writes:

he who lives in a glass house...

PumpVOL writes:

Just from a recruiting standpoint this will kill UT. If you are the parent of a 17 year old do you really want you kid to play on the same team as a CONVICTED rapist? Pathetic Lane, just pathetic.

AndrewCrawford writes:

I was 13 once, friends with many other 13 year olds, and we sure knew what NOT to with our cousins. Let's not kid ourselves, he wasn't complacent, he was an accomplice. He helped this other guy chase her around the house and tie her down. They threw a blanket over her to muffle her out when his father knocked on the bedroom door. Read the court documents, they're widely available.

Under psychiatric evaluation he showed little to know remorse for his actions. Sure after the fact he's apologetic and remorseful, but, hey he's great at football and so nice to everybody! He's a pleasant looking young tall athletic, of course he deserves a second chance! If he was some kind of slob couch potato, he should definitely be rotting in prison.

Let's say he wasn't putting on a Vol uniform but preaching from a pulpit or asking to baby sit your kids. Should he have a second chance at that? All that stuff Panties4tebow wrote carry very little weight when compared to raping your 14 year old cousin with a toilet plunger. Somehow smashing a windshield versus rape just doesn't really compare for me.

Basketball_Jones writes "Thou Shalt Not Judge", I think a better verse would be Matthew 7:3: "Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?" So everybody who commented negatively and is a convicted rapist is a hypocrite. I have plenty of beams in my eye but I at least can follow some of the most basics tenants of society and not rape family members. And it is up for us to decide because it's our immediate society that we live in which is Knoxville.

Allvoltrey has asked if he was a repeat offender would he have committed another crime by now? Some sexual offenders have gone for decades before committing another crime. Do us all a favor and keep an eye out sense you're his best friend ok?

PumpVOL writes:

One thing I don't understand. Why does UT OWE him one more chance? So many of you are saying "give him a second chance"....Why does UT owe him that chance?

huskyvol writes:

If this kid comes out and makes All-SEC freshmen team will all this be pushed under a rock? Who knows what time has in store for this kid. Lets all remember how bad we sucked last year, and its time we focus on the football team as a whole! Leave him alone. I mean he was 13 and everyday he lives with his actions, and he doesnt need people like us dragging him thru the mud. Only juvenile felony records are left unsealed. So who knows how many players have had plead down to misdemeanors to keep it off their record. Lets leave this alone and focus on the fast approaching 2009 season.

PumpVOL writes:

Some of you people kill me. Win at all costs.

kabzs writes:

Some thoughts on the Hood discussion and what it tells us about ourselves:

Some people want JUSTICE. Actions demand strict consequences. Screw up and its over.

Some people want MERCY and GRACE. Unwarranted favor.

The detractors of CLK will say, "see this just proves CLK will do anything to win".

The proponents of CLK will say, "what a wonderful thing he has done, giving this kid a chance to rehabilitate." I FALL IN THE LATTER CAMP.

Jesus, while being unfairly crucified, said, "father forgive them..." Lk 23:34 We should do no less.

Paraphrasing Ronald Regan: "Trust but verify". The kid made a terrible mistake that he himself described as "heinous". He has manned up. For example, he talked himself out of an Ole Miss scholly by voluntarily self-disclosing the matter. CLK has given him a chance and will keep him on a short leash. Hood has been forgiven, but due to concerns of recidivism he will be kept on close watch; great for Hood, and it shows class for CLK to give him a chance. CLK knows this scholly for Hood brings the program under strict scrutiny. It takes a man with broad shoulders to assume that responsibility. CLK has demonstrated class in my book.

Go Vols.

PumpVOL writes:

Yea...class by giving a convicted rapist a scholarship. Real classy there. Win at all costs. For the first time in 35 years I am ashamed to be a VOL fan.

OrangeRush writes:

Seems to be a lot of fake outrage from fake fans on this topic.

huskyvol writes:

in response to PumpVOL:

He wasnt convicted of rape. I suppose your a Saint? What he did was wrong, but he did the time. Now its between him and GOD himself for forgiveness. Maybe this is Gods plan for him. Who are we to judge? In closure if your ashamed of the Vols because of one new player then you need to start following some other team. You may not support Hood, but there are alot of young men on that football team that came to UT for the support we give our VOLS. Just remember Vol fans need to stick together because we all know we're not the most popular team around the country!

kabzs writes:

in response to PumpVOL:

"But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

"No one, sir," she said.
"Then NEITHER DO I CONDEMN YOU," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin." John 8:1-11(NIV)(emphasis added).

Jesus chose not to condemn a person guilty of a capitol offense, that in that culture, made her subject to the death penalty.

Think about it.