New Yorker Easley surprised by UT interest

Dominique Easley didn’t expect to receive this much interest from college football programs.

The 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end from Curtis High School in Staten Island, N.Y., has already received scholarship offers from 15 schools, including Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State, Syracuse, Texas Tech and Oregon.

“It’s kind of surprising,” he said, “because I’ve never heard of a person from Staten Island getting talked to by down-south schools.”

Neither has Easley’s head coach, Peter Gambardella.

“This will be my 13th year at Curtis and we’ve never had anyone come from further south than Maryland (to recruit a Curtis player),” Gambardella said. “These are all national championship contenders and they want Dominique Easley from Staten Island, N.Y.”

There’s a reason. Easley looks like a defensive tackle but moves like a defensive end.

“He’s just so talented and athletic,” Gambardella said. “He does things that you look at him and you’re like, ‘Wow,’ because you don’t expect a big guy to move that well.

“I think he’s got the size to be able to play defensive tackle but he’s got the speed and agility to play defensive end.”

That’s the kind of player UT is trying to find. Easley said he’s spoken to tight ends and tackles coach James Cregg about the Vols’ need on the defensive line.

“He told me about the defense they run and how much they want me,” Easley said. “He said they’re an on-the-go defense. They like to rush and just throw blitzes.

“That’s exactly what my game is. I like to get after it.”

Easley said he hasn’t been very involved with college recruiting. Instead, he’s focusing on his academics and preparing for the SAT college entrance exam.

Easley said he will pay more attention to recruiting this summer. He said he’ll look for a school that offers strong education and a comfortable setting.

“I want to see how the coaching staff is, how the players are and the environment,” he said. “Every school has a chance right now.”

That includes UT.

Easley never thought he would be able to play for an SEC school, but he’s always recognized the league’s level of play.

“I personally think that’s the best conference,” he said. “That would be a great experience.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dvhill100 writes:

Cool!

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

Sic 'em Cregg!

tngivem6 writes:

Recruit, recruit, ,and recruit some more....this staff is getting at it...any word on QB's or WR..or even OL..
so far its been all defense..
defense does win championships!!!

dvhill100 writes:

in response to BloggerFormerlyKnownAs_SLIMJIM85VOLS:

Good links. Hopefully the staff will pull in the players we need to get back to the top again.

kabzs writes:

Dang it!

He'll get here too late to give Tebow a wedgie in his new panties.

panties4tebow writes:

FEAR THE KIFFIN AND COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!

panties4tebow writes:

in response to kabzs:

Dang it!

He'll get here too late to give Tebow a wedgie in his new panties.

Panties...did you say panties? Don't get me started again!

The Tennessee Vols coaching staff are Kiffin nators!

panties4tebow writes:

The gators will be Kiffin nated! GO VOLS!!!!!!!

GerryOP writes:

117 -- Fear The Kiffin...

ncvol17 writes:

If NYC's Ernie & Bernie can do it for B Ball, this kid can do it for Football....

I crave a Roman Room Vol Burger or VOL Special with bread....

voloffaith writes:

in response to ncvol17:

I crave a Roman Room Vol Burger or VOL Special with bread....

Now you've done it....I want a Sam& Andy's deli and they are all gone. Boy does that bring back memories.

On topic I remember in late 80's early 90's a dlineman or linebacker we had from Ny that was good as I recall. Help me boys remember his name....

Seems like Roger something...oh well.

ncvol17 writes:

Last Fall there was still a Sam & Andy's in Fountain City,, say it aint gone now boys...Roast Beef, Swiss on white with mustard, a bag of chips, and a cold one....don't forget the pickle.....

belayvol writes:

Sounds like some good Vol news. And stop with the dream food references. I live in small town TN where even the Subway closes at 9:00. Keep this up and i might have to fire up the grill.

GoVols22 writes:

Anyone have any inside info on the Cameron Newton stuff? I havent seen anything anywhere else. Also, would he for sure be eligible to compete with crompton for the starting job this season?

chrisw2967 writes:

here it goes , if it happens that Newton ends up here at UT , here is what the trolls would say. If he had never got suspended he would of never seen the field because Brantly
is the better QB.
But wouldnt it be nice to see Newton go down to the infested swamp and lead Tn to an upset of the gayfers.that would be priceless.
not saying he will end up here.

Mommasboy writes:

Would Cam Newton fit into a pro style offense? He is obviously a specimen of an athlete being 6-6 and 250 lbs.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Here's more info on Newton.

kabzs writes:

in response to ncvol17:

They made em majic with that sandwich steamin/meltin machine

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Love to hear the recruiting news especially in new areas like New York. Can't recall Tennessee recruiting that area heavily in years past.

Here is a link to another beast along the offensive line. An area of need in the future.

tennezz writes:

in response to gatorz4:

I thought it was time for the buzzard to land!!!

old_number1 writes:

in response to tennezz:

I thought it was time for the buzzard to land!!!

I think you are being too kind! And what do you have against buzzards anyway?

belayvol writes:

in response to old_number1:

I think you are being too kind! And what do you have against buzzards anyway?

I once saw a dead gator in the middle of the road down in south Georgia. There were a flock of buzzards next to the carcass puking their guts out from the smell.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Poor buzzards.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

On the Cam Newton deal, does anyone know how much eligibility he has left? GO VOLS!!!!FEAR THE KIFFIN!!!!

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Yea I was wondering about the one game he player against Hawaii

Vol_Fan_N_NC writes:

Well it looks like we are off to a good start on recruiting defensive linemen. What about everything else? Like maybe offense, or even a QB? I hope everyone else on this staff can recruit like Coach O.

JMP_Vols writes:

in response to robvols:

I think Newton would be ok.

Kiffin would ensure he had a laptop available for use at all times.

GreerVol22 writes:

Cam Newton huh? sounds big enough, looks the part. He was humbled at UF so let's hope the ego is in check and his computer problems have been erased. I can see "Big Fig" t-shirts for sale now.....

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Vol_Fan_N_NC:

It is startin off good.This class needs to be heavy on linemen,both sides.

And of course a qb.

give_him_6 writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Hmmm, after reading that it seems to me that the only one with an issue is the principle. The coach said he accepted Kiffs appology and all the players said they were open to playing for UT. Seems like a good article. LoL!!! Thanks for posting it for us...LOL!!!

golfballs03 writes:

I don't like all these yankees movin to Tennessee

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Send Dupree with 4 Jaeger bombs in him and he would be convinced that he needs to be a psych major.

JMP_Vols writes:

in response to gatorz4:

This is a principal trying to beat his chest and prove a meaningless point.

If he had his student's best interest at heart, he'd let the matter die. Since its all about him, he won't allow that to happen.

To take away an opportunity from one of his students over his own selfish pride is irresponsible. Does the student not get a say? Or that student's family?

Sad that this is the leadership found in way too many middle and high schools today.

vol88 writes:

Come to Knoxville, Mr. Easley!

panties4tebow writes:

in response to gatorz4:

The principle will be Kiffin_nated!

FEAR KIFFIN & COMPANY!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what color of panties do you have on gatorz4?

panties4tebow writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Hey gatorz4, I want to salute you today....since we are not face to face here is what I want you to do.

Raise your right hand in front of your face then make a fist now open your second finger from your tumb....I just saluted you.

kman29 writes:

in response to DestinVol:

no charges were not dropped. He is still being charged. As for the "haters" oh you mean like the same fan base who use to act like this kid wasn't all that, but now because he is interested in UT, he is something great to get? If I was UT I personally wouldn't be intereted. He was very slow to develop. In his 2 years he didn't do much of anything to show he would be Tebows replacement and basically got redshirted after the first game last year because Brantley started passing him in his development.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Cam Newton? Hell, yeah . . .

kman29 writes:

in response to robvols:

revenge mission to get back at Meyer and the Gators? lol! Maybe next time the moron shouldnt steal laptops, then when questioned by the police, try to destroy the evidence and lie about it all. But let me guess, Meyer should have not kicked him off right? Or it was Meyer's fault that Newton was an idiot? Hilarious!

kman29 writes:

in response to BloggerFormerlyKnownAs_SLIMJIM85VOLS:

How is he a juco transfer when he was just part of the UF team as of December of 2008? He didn't play for a juco. He still has to sit out a year.

DANVOL1 writes:

in response to gatorz4:

LOL, guess I'm dumb to, I thought it was a great read. All the kids down there like the Vols! The principle is an idiot. They're gonna look real stupid when Lane doesn't show up and still gets a couple kids LOL!!!

tdforvols writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Thanks for the Link Gatorz4.

This shows that Kiffin had the clowns at this high school pegged right from the beginning. Keeping the kids away from the Vols just as Kiffin first suspected.

old_number1 writes:

in response to tdforvols:

Thanks for the Link Gatorz4.

I think it's really funny. The principal says- you have to personally come down here and kiss my azz. Oh yeah, fire up he plane, spend 20,000 $ to go down there to say 'sorry'. And anyway, when I was in school, all the players hated the principal anyway. Has high school changed that much?

panties4tebow writes:

The Kiffin's will be Kiffin nators over the gators and we will be singing Rocky Top all night long!

WRITE IT DOWN!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

campbo73 writes:

OK This is what i would do. I would spend the 20,000 and go down there and offer the kids i wanted,and then i would say THANK YOU for your time and leave. GO VOLS

kabzs writes:

Oh Crud. Tennessee misses out on another tall wide receiver, to whom we had extended an offer. The sooner we get a star QB the sooner we start getting these great players. Some more line would help too.

kabzs writes:
robvols#366273 writes:

-As a UT alum who is from and still lives in the NYC area, if he goes to UT, he is in for the biggest culture shock of his life!

drone#208075 writes:

Jose Jose - 2010 commitment #3.

campbo73 writes:

in response to Book1:

I think he will be trying to play center.We will be hearing b-beep as Bryce Brown blast trough that big hole. GO VOLS

Share your thoughts