Vols beat out Georgia, Florida for offensive lineman Jose

Tennessee bested two of its SEC East rivals for one of the top offensive line prospects in the region.

Jose Jose committed to the Vols on Tuesday over scholarship offers from Florida and Georgia, who finished second and third, respectively, in the race for his services.

UT extended an official offer three months ago to the 6-foot-3, 330-pound Jose from Booker T. Washington High School in Miami.

“Ever since I got it, I’ve just been thinking,” he said. “I was in class today and I felt like I just needed to go ahead and make it official.”

Jose had 19 scholarship offers including Miami and Florida State.

“It was because of how close the schools were, but what really caught my eye is the opportunity to play early,” said Jose.

Opportunity is plentiful for any incoming offensive lineman headed to UT.

UT is in desperate need of offensive linemen for its 2010 signing class. The Vols have lost four offensive line backups in the coaching transition since last season and will lose four experienced offensive linemen from its roster following the 2009 season.

That — and a new staff to impress — had Jose thinking Vols early and often.

“They brought in a whole new coaching staff; there’s a big opportunity for me to play early,” Jose said. “I think can play as soon as I get there. Coach (Lane) Kiffin told me I just had to show them I could play and I’ll be on the field.”

Another factor in Jose’s decision was a childhood friend who lives in Knoxville.

“He said it’s pretty much like Miami, just a little bit colder in the winter so I think I’ll enjoy it,” Jose said.

Jose is an unusual prospect in that he wants to play offensive guard. Most highly touted prospects want at least a tryout at tackle before moving inside. Jose has played center, guard and tackle in high school but his favorite position is left guard.

“Coach Kiffin told me he wants me to play a little guard,” Jose said.

Jose said he hopes to attend UT’s summer camp in June. He said he isn’t planning on taking any more visits to other schools.

“I seriously doubt it,” Jose said. “I don’t think I will.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@!!!!

LEXKYVOLS writes:

Way to Sweet!

UT_VOLS75 writes:

WHOO! Get that kid to K-Town!!

matt52500 writes:

keep bringing in the big uglies. i love it

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Reel em in! Orange Swarm! Book it! Write it Down! Dupree wins again! GBO!

AustinTX_Vol writes:

Finally an offensive lineman. I was thinking the D-line was gonna have to play offense too.

nwcs writes:

No way! Jose! (sorry, couldn't resist)

UTVolAlum writes:

Check out Volquest for info on Jose Jose. They posted that he had committed at 9:30 this morning and they have a story on their front page.

Welcome to Big Orange Country Jose Jose!

voloffaith writes:

in response to matt52500:

keep bringing in the big uglies. i love it

Matt ewe are in trouble if his momma sees what you called him. She might not let him come since their feelings were hurt. Oh BTW why is anybody this size always called ugly? Just curious.

Let's get him on campus and signed papers in 2010.

Welcome JJ !

TommyJack writes:

What a great name...

ColeTrickle writes:

fear the Kiffin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! starting to build the blocks of a championship team and starting with the HOGMOLLIES!!! yeah boy HOGMOLLIES!!!!!!!

ColeTrickle writes:

yes babae! DAS A BIG O MF'ER!

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to MakerDew:

OLE'

ColeTrickle writes:

PLUCKED ONE OUT FROM URBIE PANTY WERAING CRYER'S BACKYARD

jimr07 writes:

in response to MakerDew:

jose.

jimr07 writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

PLUCKED ONE OUT FROM URBIE PANTY WERAING CRYER'S BACKYARD

the gator girls are going to say they weren't recruiting him any way. not good enough for the greatest football team of all time, coached by the greatest coach of all time and quarterbacked by the greatest quarterback/circumsizer of all time.

AustinTX_Vol writes:

in response to jimr07:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they'll say he's not really that good or he has some character issues. They'll say something was wrong with him and they didn't even want the guy. Even though UF did offer him, you know how those idiots will try and spin it.

rich182x writes:

I heard he loves Cheetos... the new big ones!!!

golfballs03 writes:

Scouts, Inc:
Jose is built for the offensive guard position. He is stout and compact with a ton of natural strength. Powerful at the point of attack when base blocking. Really is strong in both the lower and upper body but really needs to work on his quickness and agility. Doesn't handle movement very well; has trouble changing direction and finds it hard to recover. Flashes of leg drive at the point of attack but needs to be a better finisher. Solid quick set pass protector but cannot be an edge protector; will have to be covered up where he can get help. Jose is a limited offensive lineman that will have to work on flexibility and agility in order to be a complete lineman. Jose could be a solid player from a system based on zone blocking and play action passes. He has an upside and can best use his natural abilities in schemes that do not require him to operate a lot in space.

kabzs writes:

The first of several new O-linemen who will protect Heaps.

Irwin_Linker writes:

This is great news, but I'd like to see an article on Cam Newton today. Is he really considering Tennessee? If he is, Can he play next year? Just the entire who, what, why,when, where ordeal. Cam Newton is leagues ahead of any QB we have on the roster, and in my opinion instantly secure a few more wins for us this year.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

What a great name...

His middle name is Fred.

TommyJack writes:

Will he require 2 skollies?

golfballs03 writes:

In Polynesia, having the same first and last name is a sign of royalty.

panties4tebow writes:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got another one out of fl from cryin meyer!

WE WILL WE WILL ROCK YOU!

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to golfballs03:

Scouts, Inc:

'Jose could be a solid player from a system based on zone blocking and play action passes.'

that's Kiffins USC offense right there. Chaney an Kregg co. will trim him down a bit show him technique and he will be a solid lineman

GreenbackMike writes:

Is his name really Jose Jose? That is the best Name EVER!!! Even better that that Suck Up kid for SC last year!

UTvols12342000 writes:

The Big Lane Theory

A huge explosion announcing the arrival of a new era of UT football, culminating in a cyclical swarming that will ultimately produce large celestial bodies whose gravity can be felt, but not quite ever understood.

GO VOLS!

Colliervol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

What a great name...

What's his middle name?

Colliervol writes:

Never mind. I can see it's already been discussed. Personally, my favorite is canyousee.

hotrodvol writes:

Jose Jose, will you play center, gaurd, defensive tackle?

"Most are recruiting me at center, but some are talking nose guard too."

"Coach Eddie Gran is the recruiter in charge of recruiting the Miami area for the University of Tennessee."

It looks like Eddie Gran has a good recruiting base in S. Florida.

Voluvr writes:

This guy is the man. President of his chess club, huge, fast feet, wider Orlando Pace. Of course, florida and georgia didn't want him. Their offers were just so he wouldn't feel bad.

caliGATOR writes:

Not bad by the vols, so ur making enroads at BTW, well JoseJose was not part of the UF big 3 ol that we are recruiting, Jose was probably at the bottom of our list. Linder, Benedict, and Green and probably our top 3. Lets see if he sticks cause u know when Miami make a commitable offer he's going to jump on it. By the way when is Lane Kiffin going to Pahokee to apologize in person? So Tenn lands a kid named Jose Jose who's next Bob Bob?

VolPatrick writes:

in response to MakerDew:

freaking

Voluvr writes:

in response to long_vol:

I see where you are going but I don't totally agree with your comment or Rivals. This kid has good feet and gets downfield. You go get another block after you lose your block. I've seen over and over a lineman not finish his block and his man sack a QB after the lineman thought he was done.

RTR writes:

This guy is hugggge. He is Terrance Cody Size. I know you guys are very very thin on the offensive line, but he looks like a nose guard to me. What do you guys think?

HtownVol writes:

I am glad he is a VOL, but look at his pics. He has the BIGGEST man boobs I have ever seen in my life. Sorry to say it, but seriously look at the pics and tell me he dont have some man boobs going on.

GO VOLS! Lets get about 7 more just like him.

Voluvr writes:

Passing: tieing up your man is finishing the block.
Running: shield? You drive the lineman into the ground.

If you lose your block then, you go find a jersey with the wrong color.

VolPatrick writes:

in response to Voluvr:

From the Rivals Video:

"I just like to hurt people, really. Not take them out of the game, just make them feel like it... steam roll them into the ground maybe. I might get a couple holding calls, because I'm over aggressive..."

A little nasty streak in the O-line makes me think back to the mid-90s. This is exciting. Keep him locked down coaches! He's the cornerstone, literally.

99gator writes:

i'll just use one example so that people can understand.

florida has offered as many as 12 wr's a scholarship. so, when people say they got an offer, it's true.

but, there are layers. there are people who you would take a commitment from immediately. there are people who you would take if it doesn't work out for a couple of other prospects. there are some instances where, it's the first one to commit gets the scholarship, etc, etc, etc.

so, when player A says he choose one school over two or three others it doesn't necessarily mean that the schools that lost out were hot and heavy over that particular prospect.

congrats on jose jose.

bud0323 writes:

If this is for 2010 then it's our 4th commitment because we have JUCO DT Patrick Harris, but if it's for 2011 then it's our third commitment.

AustinTX_Vol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS! Lets get about 7 more just like him.

I went back and looked at his gallery and you're right. Those make Andre Smith's look small by comparison. But glad the Vols got him none the less.

RTR writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS! Lets get about 7 more just like him.

LOL thats hilarious.

Voluvr writes:

in response to 99gator:

i'll just use one example so that people can understand.

congrats on jose jose.

That's pretty much not true. If a school offers a scholorship and the kid accepts, he has it. If a coach got the reputation of indian giving he would be done. Spurrier got flack for withdrawing a scholly from Ga. kid that was offered to him and the school told Spurrier do not come back. The kid had turned everyone down.

So, your attempt at deflecting credit from Tennessee after taking another great player that florida wanted doesn't hold water, even salt water.

TommyJack writes:

in response to 99gator:

i'll just use one example so that people can understand.

congrats on jose jose.

Thanks for not letting me down, 99. I KNEW you would say you guys really didn't want the kid. If nothing else, you're consistent.

99gator writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

i understand completely.

i never comment on how good a guy is.

how would i know? tennessee could have gotten the next orlando pace for all i know.

based on the high school he went to, i am surprised that miami was not a factor.

Voluvr writes:

I see your point that you over offer because you are not going to get all of them, but you can bet that anyone that gets an offer is a kid that school wants. Especially the top schools.

RTR writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

He is an area of big time need for the vols, so I can see why the fans would be excited. He is a three star so its really up in the air IMO. He may be a work in progress but you have to start somewhere. I think I read an article where you will only have about 10 O lineman after this next year. I could be wrong on that stat.

I agree that your tackles have to have great agility and quick feet but not so much for the guards IMO. Now don't get me wrong, they cant just be anchors. They have to be able to get downfield for a screen play and what not. I personally think this kid will be a DT. Looks like a perfect run stopper.

99gator writes:

in response to TommyJack:

TJ

we really wanted marsalis teague and nu'keese richardson. we really wanted marlon brown too. orson charles is another. greg reid to name another.

i can admit when we miss out on a guy.

florida has two o-lineman commited already and twelve players total.

i don't know what the size of the class in 2010 will be and i don't know how many o-lineman they want to sign.

i don't think they have a senior on the offensive line.

i give it straight (whether you believe that or not) and would not care to admit when we lose out on a guy.