Pass first, run second for Tennessee prospect Scroggins

QB would rather stay in pocket and throw

If Tennessee could add one quarterback for 2010, who would it be?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Jesse Scroggins' highlight tape says it all.

For an athletic quarterback, there's little evidence of the 6-foot-3, 195-pounder's running ability on YouTube. As a matter of fact, it takes almost three minutes of highlights before Scroggins finally darts past the line of scrimmage.

Sure, there is mobility but this Tennessee prospect is more Peyton Manning than Heath Shuler.

Scroggins' mobility is all about sliding in the pocket while still surveying the field. He's not looking to sprint into the teeth of a defense just because an opportunity presents itself.

"Pass first, run second," the star quarterback from Lakewood (Calif.) High School said during a phone interview with the News Sentinel.

There are times when it looks as if Scroggins surely will take off and run. A common fake handoff seems to be the first step in a typical zone-read running play. Nope, Scroggins is sitting tight, ready to zing a pass downfield.

"That's been my main thing: Stay in the pocket. And if (I need to), I can get away," Scroggins said.

Such dedication to being a pro-style quarterback has a dozen schools, including UT, interested enough to offer Scroggins a scholarship. The Vols did so last week.

Arizona, Arizona State, California, LSU, Nebraska, Washington and Washington State also have extended official offers. Southern California, Florida and Utah have shown strong interest but haven't offered yet.

"The process is going great," said Scroggins. "All schools are even at this point. I'm keeping my options open and looking at every school."

UT has an advantage on its side despite being two time zones away. Scroggins' mother hails from Tennessee and her family still resides in Memphis.

"I love Tennessee, actually," said Scroggins, who is widely considered one of the top 100 prospects in the nation. "Family is in Tennessee. They're very high in the process."

Scroggins has lived in California his whole life but says he has no issue with leaving the area to pursue his college football career.

"I don't have a preference at all," said Scroggins, who names will to win, great academics and strong tradition as characteristics he's looking for in a college football program.

Still, it's hard to ignore the fact that UT is close to 2,200 miles away and USC is little more than a 20-minute drive from Lakewood.

The Trojans recently offered Scroggins a chance to earn his scholarship. USC will host six quarterbacks for a skills challenge during its upcoming football camp in June. Whoever performs the best will earn a scholarship.

It wouldn't be a shock if Scroggins won the summer showdown. His athleticism is a good match for skills competitions. Also, he was named the camp MVP at a recent USC event.

Also, Scroggins has visited USC on several occasions.

"USC is basically my home town, I'm only 20 miles down the road, so I'd be very pleased to go to USC," Scroggins told USCFootball.com.

As for UT, Scroggins plans to visit Knoxville in June for the Vols' summer camp.

The SEC could help UT. Scroggins said the SEC's reputation will be a "big factor" in his recruitment.

"SEC football is, I think personally, the best conference," Scroggins said. "All the great athletes go to the SEC. All the great schools are in the SEC."

Scroggins is the most intriguing quarterback prospect on UT's board to earn a scholarship offer. While all are considered pro-style passers, Scroggins has more ability to run than his counterparts.

UT has offered three other high school quarterbacks: Jake Heaps from Skyline High School in Sammamish, Wash., Andrew Hendrix from Moeller High School in Cincinnati and Blake Bell from Bishop Carroll High School in Wichita, Kan. Bell is committed to Oklahoma.

Scroggins has posted a 4.8-second time in the 40-yard dash, but he believes he's faster than when he was tested two months ago.

Still, the mobile passer known for his strong arm would rather focus on the nearly 2,500 yards and 23 touchdowns he threw in 2008.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

BamaSuxFlaSwallows writes:

We need this guy.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

no we need heap and heap only. watch his highlights.

smokyredbone writes:

"The one I want!"

DennisVols writes:

Odds are better on getting this young man than they are with Heaps from what I have been hearing.
Scroggins really fits into the type of offense Kiffin runs and the opportunity to start as a freshman should also be a big factor in his decision process.

suPEARLman writes:

I'm sold on Scroggins more than all the other prospects. And how many times is Hooker going to refer Blake Bell as "Black" Bell?

hotrodvol writes:

in response to Navalorange:

It looks like it will be after his camp at UT at the earliest before he commits. I agree we need him bad, and yes he would help recruiting.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to suPEARLman:

It's Black Betty's son, wam-ba-lam.

CoverOrange writes:

Not a runner, huh? Naffy already has him pegged in the "wasted jersey" category.

Personally, I would take any of those guys. We need somebody with a pulse.

panties4tebow writes:

The quarterbacks name is Blake Bell, not Black Bell!!!!!

dshawn13#224876 writes:

We don't need a rock star qb if we get some talent around him, I want want a smart qb that will not lose any games and rep. the school well. Some of the JC guys scare me.We won the nat'l title will Tee and LSU won it with D.

teampenny#658108 writes:

Need all the QB's and lineman we can get. Go Vols

Rick4UT writes:

We need him however I think the geography will hurt us in getting him....GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

esplain yourself Gator

vol_in_foreign_territory writes:

i personally think scroggins is better than heaps, but g_d da_n i'd be extatic to get either

bigorangefan79 writes:

This is the second time KNS has "accidentaly" called Blake Bell Black Bell.

bigorangefan79 writes:

They just fixed it.

panties4tebow writes:

trolling trolling trolling on the river!

Rick4UT writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Tebow only has 1 more year
and your coach (what his
name) will be moving on.
The taters (oops) gators
will be done. GO VOLS!

InertGas writes:

I want him, no him, no the other guy, I mean the juco kid. Aw heck just bring in a couple of gooduns.

vol1994 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Please, take your t-bow wearing panties self back to bed young man. It is way past your bed time and the grown ups want to talk on this site.

Rick4UT writes:

in response to gatorz5:

That's what they all say
so keep the faith because
he is gone. Dang, I can't
believe I am really talking
to you. GO VOLS!!!!

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to gatorz5:

One other thing remains the same. The Dawgs own the Gators, always have, always will.

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to gatorz5:

you know, UGA. the team that UF would have to win 6 more in a row to tie the series. the UGA Bulldogs that OWN UF hahahahahha!!!

Rick4UT writes:

in response to gatorz5:

The series is tied 19-19
You may win the next one
then you can expect a drought.
Heck, Vandy will start beating
you. GO VOLS !!!

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to Rick4UT:

The series is tied 19-19
You may win the next one
then you can expect a drought.
Heck, Vandy will start beating
you. GO VOLS !!!

Back in the day, when college football still recognized ties as a final score, UT and UF could have ended in a 19-19 tie and Gator fans would still say they won and dominated the game. That's basically the same thing they say on this thread. Like you said, though, their days are numbered! GO VOLS!!

Rockytop38 writes:

I say if you can get this kid to sign on the dotted line, get him.

golfballs03 writes:

I think Scroggins might actually have more upside than Heaps. Scouts, Inc pretty much said so in their write up. Heaps has his limitations. Of the 4 rankings I've seen, they are split on these two. Scout and Sporting News have Heaps ranked higher, and Scouts Inc and Rivals have Scroggins. Although, while none have Scroggins ranked #1 both Sporting News and Scout has Heaps in that spot. I think we would all be happy with either, but from what I've read, Scroggins is our best bet.

Coach_Joe writes:

Just remember gatorz, Nick Saban said, "I will not be the next coach at Alabama."

That's not to say he'll leave, but don't ever just take a coaches word for it. Even you should know that. Heck, I hope he does stay at UF. I would rather see you guys contend for the SEC East than see ND start going back to BCS games just because they finish in the top 10.

I actually like the Irish, but I don't like the preferential treatment that they get. Their fans are some of the best in the nation as far as class goes. Just don't want to see any handouts be given to them.

beartn#223846 writes:

If we don't end up with someone better than Tajh Boyd, that would suck. I think Heaps and Scroggins appear to be the best on our wish list that haven't already committed, and I think they are also the longest shots. At least our staff can recruit.

Rockytop38 writes:

I probably should see some highlight film on Heaps. I have not seen any film on Heaps but I just watched film on Scroggins and he does look good. Just hope we can secure one or two good QB's that can move the ball.

Rockytop38 writes:

What would our chances be of getting both. Heaps and Scroggins?

Slimjim_Vols writes:

Since everything turns into a TN vs Gator argument.... lets see who can get this trivia question right. The Vols win in the "Swamp" in 2001 marked how many years since the Vols had won in that stadium?

Slimjim_Vols writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

We have a WINNER! I was hoping a Gator would post before you did though lol

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Jake Heaps really is a good looking prospect.... I think he'll have to learn to be a little wiser with some of his throws... NCAA level talent will be able to jump a few of the throws he barely squeezed in there... but the big area that he impresses me is his poise... he does what Jonathon Crompton won't do... Heaps keeps calm under pressure, keeps looking downfield, and delivers a strong, solid throw

Coach_Joe writes:

in response to gatorz5:

True, but I think in Meyer's mind he knows he could turn ND around quickly as well just as he did at UF.

Think about it. He goes there and he has another QB like Chris Leak into his senior season in Jimmy C. He would need to bring in another big running QB as close to the mold as Tebow. And considering ND doesn't have any of those on roster he could pretty much pick and choose the one he wanted. I know it and you know it.

As for Saban losing at Miami. Yes, he was losing but he was getting them turned around. I don't think he has much patience. And in the NFL you have to have a yearly type patience due to only bringing in about 10 new faces per year as opposed to 20-30.

I guess we can agree on one thing though. Meyer will not go to the NFL. His style of offense does do well in the college ranks, but would falter quickly if it were ran every week in "The League".

coach75 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

why does it matter if it were in the 30's or 40's or since 75, football is football. just like a pansy gator to make excuses because until the late 80's you sucked. the only time that you like to talk is when your on top. which judging by your posts personally is not very often. how is your boy, bubba doing?

abnermc writes:

Gators are VERY worried!. Love it.

1manningfan writes:

in response to gatorz5:

You wanna know how i can tell your a tennage punk? Because all you do is bring up is what your Johnny come lately gators have done the past two decades. I'll admit they have been great since the 90's, however football wasn't invinted or started playing in the the 90's. It was played alot longer before your little wet behind the ears A** was even thought of.

Whats the difference between you bringing up stuff since 1975 and Vols going all the way back to the 30's for success to look good. It goes both ways a**hole!

I mean hell if you want to go back just to the 70's explain why your gators went WINLESS in 1979. Pathetic!

Also, you mentioned a stat record in your post, i would like to add to that of my own.

UT 13-UF 8 SEC Championships.

UT 6- UF 3 National Championships

UT 46 bowl appearances

UT Bowl Wins 25

Almost 150 all time wins over your sorry A** gators

More pro players past/present that play in NFL

UT has more tradition, bigger staduim, undefeated seasons, More everything!

Those are stats and records for ya d-bag! Chew on that for awhile and come back with some more dribble and i'll give you your homework for tommorow kid.

GO VOLS!!!

kman29 writes:

in response to 101st_AIRBORNE_VOL:

wow! if that wasn't one of the most retarded comments I've ever read. Yeah..UGA owns UF. LOL!!!!!

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

this is the video on Scroggins.. I'll be honest... I'm not impressed... this looks like a Randy Sanders quarterback prospect. He never threw it downfield. He didn't seem particularly poised either. Jake Heaps is night and day a better quarterback... Heaps has the stronger arm, better poise, more zip on his passes, and he actually looks better running the ball. We need to make the push to get Heaps...whatever it takes

Coach_Joe writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

I think the better question is: What the chances of either of them being better than what we have now? If either one of them are then why not do what the coaches are trying to do and that's go after both of them?

I'm just sayin'!

kman29 writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

UT 13-UF 8 SEC Championships.

UT 6- UF 3 National Championships

UT 46 bowl appearances

UT Bowl Wins 25

Almost 150 all time wins over your sorry A** gators

More pro players past/present that play in NFL

UT has more tradition, bigger staduim, undefeated seasons, More everything!

GO VOLS!!!

Oh lord! here we go again with the Bama math of 6 national championships. Tennessee has TWO consensus national titles. Thats it. I understand you all want to add it titles with irrelevant polls like.

1938: Voted by Litkenhous, Boand and Poling. WHO?

Real 1938 National Champs: TCU and Notre Dame shared

1940: Dunkel and Williamson? who is Williamson?

Real 1940 national champs: Minnesota (A consensus champ.)

1950: Dunkel. uh huh!

Real 1950 National champs: Oklahoma Sooners led by Bud Wilkinson. (A consensus champ)

1967: Litkenhous. First off this team was led by Doug Dickey...that says it all.

Real 1967 National Champs: USC (Again a CONSENSUS champ)

Tennessee was the consensus champ in '51 and '98.

I guess Florida can claim the 1928, 1984 and 1985 National titles as well since they had polls vote them champs. Hey UF has 6 too..whoohoo!

As for the SEC titles:

I find the 13 titles kind of funny because ACTUALLY 2 of those titles Florida actually finished ahead of Tennessee (1985 and 1990) but since UF was on probation (on probation and still finished first) they were not able to claim the title. Otherwise its Tennessee 11 and Florida 11 times that they finished first.

As for wins: Sure UT has more all time wins. They also started football in 1891 where as UF started in 1906. Thats 15 years of football before UF even started.

Bowl wins: UT-25 UF-18. Not a big difference there. But ok!

As for UT having "more tadition" as in what? a dog? a guy running around with a dead racoon on his head? a Purina dog chow endzone? Sorry but having more overall wins doesn't mean you have more "tradition" need to look up the term and what it means. Maybe you should do your homework!

kman29 writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Its not even worth it. They think because Florida has won 8 SEC titles in the last 17 years that Tennessee's program has "more tradition" because you have to go back 53 years to count their last 8 SEC titles. Or the fact that since 1950 Florida is 19-11 vs. Tennessee. But because UT started out 9-0 against UF in the 'aught 8' years of leather helmets...UT has more tradition. The best one of all though is when they bring up QBs in the NFL. Tennessee has had only 1 QB ever make an impact in the NFL, but because of that one Manning, they are QB university and UF QBs are trash. Yeah we will disregard the other 40 or so starting QBs in UTs history though right? lol! THATS TRADITION!!!!! Hilarious!

kman29 writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

come on now! Zook did share a 2003 SEC east title. Don't drop him to a 0 wins in the SEC coach level yet.

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to Rick4UT:

How can distance hurt us whne a MAJORITY of his FAMILY are from Tennessee. Memphis and some in Nashville. Do ya homework before speaking misinformation.

gmoneyvol writes:

You Florida trolls are pathetic. You get your jollies by going to another school's website and talking trash? Classless jerks. Please get a life. You might be on top now, we'll see how long you stay there.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I'm with you Naval. What I saw on that video was a 16yr old making every type of pass. Granted this was a highlight film but that was freaking impressive.

I've seen the Heaps films too. Just as impressive. Both QBs are very smart on and off the field and either would be a great addition.

TNisPeerless writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Think Calipari man. ND is his "dream job."

MrKnoxville writes:

MrKnoxville is now back in Long Beach, California and don't worry boys...I as well as some other SoCal Vols out here in L.A. county are going to go to his home games...wearing the Orange & White....make signs saying "Come to Tennessee and BE THE PROGRAM!"....show this young man and these Lakewood High School students/fans that VOLS are everywhere, we travel, and good or bad we are loyal to TENNESSEE!!!!

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to kman29:

You call my comment retarded? Looks like you can't read. Look up UGA's all-time record against UF. Yeah, UGA DOES own UF!

You're stupid and you suck.