Pearl says Smith doing well at NBA workouts

Tennessee’s Tyler Smith has been on top of his game in his workouts, according to UT coach Bruce Pearl.

“I’ve seen a maturity in Tyler over the past three or four weeks as it relates to him getting himself ready,’’ Pearl said. “He’s playing his best basketball right now.’’

Smith, a 6-foot-6 junior projected to play small forward at the NBA level, worked out for the San Antonio Spurs last weekend and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday.

Smith is scheduled to work out with the Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls later this week.

The evaluation concludes with a combine-like event in Chicago on May 27-30, and Smith is expected to announce whether he’ll return for his senior season at UT soon thereafter.

“This is the opportunity of his lifetime,’’ Pearl said. “It’s a win-win situation for him, and he has clearly stepped it up.

“Based on what we’ve heard, he has to work his way up from (projections) the middle of the second round.’’

Smith has until June 15 to withdraw from the NBA draft, which takes place on June 25.

Statistics indicate that approximately half of the players selected in the second round of past NBA drafts sign contracts.

Only first-round picks sign guaranteed contracts, hence Smith’s approach that he needs to be projected to be selected “comfortably’’ in the first round.

Smith has said he’s not sure if playing in Europe would be the best thing for his family at this point of his career, as he has a toddler son to support and spend time with.

Projections: DraftExpress.com, on Monday, projected Smith would be selected with the 43rd overall pick in the NBA Draft by the Miami Heat.

The website projects 13 small forwards selected in the two rounds, five of them in the first round. Smith would be the 12th small forward taken if the projections are correct.

The NBAdraft.net website, in its most recent projections on May 11 does not have Smith among the 60 players and 16 small forwards expected to be chosen.

NBADraft.net projects Smith to be the 27th overall player and eighth small forward taken in the 2010 draft. J.P. Prince, who is overcoming shoulder surgery, is projected to go No. 52 overall in 2010, 12th among shooting guards.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

panties4tebow writes:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allvolinatlanta writes:

Good luck Tyler!

rockytopron writes:

I hope he brings that NBA mentality he suddenly has back to Knoxville next season.

give_him_6 writes:

Good luck Tyler.

golfballs03 writes:

I would love for him to come back, but I think Europe might be his best option... get him more experience playing at 3.

in response to BolivarBob:

Thanks for the link. Man, what a schedule! It wore me out just reading it. Best wishes to Tyler, no matter where he is next year.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Book1:

BASKETBALL article sir.....

post your gotta have it post on the appropriate sport please.

Tyler sounds like return for senior year. Then we have a scholarship number potential problem

Volunatic writes:

in response to rockytopron:

Me too, except without all the blatant traveling that is so rife in NBA b-ball, of course.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

He'll make a better pro than that undersized bull in the china shop that you have.

Rick4UT writes:

Good luck Tyler......If we had someone who could have shot the lights out this past season....It would have made Tyler's stock go up. It would have given him more room to roam. I think it would be best for Tyler and me if he plays out his final season. The education wouldn't hurt too.
GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigger_Al writes:

Tyler, I'm with you whatever your decision.

You can come back and spank Florida two more times, going 6-0 for your career. Make Eddie Munster's hairline recede a bit more in the process, and get yourself comfortably in the 1st round.

Or, you can go pro and make some money next year. Work your way into becoming a long-term NBA player. We'll love you when you come back and see us.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

Well, what are a/some example(s) of his non-ability to coach?

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to UTandETSUfan:

Well, what are a/some example(s) of his non-ability to coach?

My advice is to not sling mud with a 15-year old with a 1.7 GPA.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

My advice is to not sling mud with a 15-year old with a 1.7 GPA.

I know, I know, but I really do want to see why he is so bitter about CBP.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

I saw him make the NCAA tourney for the 6th time in 8 years of Div. 1 basketball (4 at UT) (5 straight times is his current streak). It wasn't until Coach K and Jim Calhoun's 9th year that they even made their first one. It took Calipari 4 years to get his first at UMass and 3 more at Memphis.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

He has had as much success in his first 8 years as Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams, and Billy D

Irwin_Linker writes:

Tarheels rule is either a Memphis State or Gator fan, thats my guess. No real Tarheel fan would spend this much time on a UT site. There is no reason for it, we just don't play frequently enough for there to be any animosity between the two schools.

VOLorado writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Colliervol writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

Somebody took the child locks off the computer at the KNS again.

Colliervol writes:

Seriously, this is not saying much if Tyler is projected in the 40 to 50 range in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. People are having a difficult time just coming up with 11 players good enough to be picked in the lottery. Draft experts are saying there are only two players in the entire draft who are "difference makers". Blake Griffin and some point guard from overseas whose name escapes me at the moment.

I think his best bet is Europe. He can make decent money over there. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he can score the ball well enough to play small forward in the NBA and he's going to have a hard time defending out on the floor against those guys.

HtownVol writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

How the fu*% did a tar heel fan get on a UT site, and cant go away? We must be getting pretty well known if we got UNC fans that have to check on UT. I dont see why he is scared, UT does not compare to UNC in basketball. But we are getting much better and I guarentee that we can play them very well. We may not win this year but CBP is building a great program at UT. And how can you talk phooey about CBP? Where was UT before him? And just b/c he hasnt made a final 4 doesnt mean his teams go nowhere in the tourney. 2 sweet sixteens isnt too bad. Remember the expectations are not that high for our basketball team. But CBP WILL make a final four before he retires. Look at most sports sites that rank basketball coaches, BP is almost always a top 10 coach, but I guess that he is nothing just because YOU said so??
GO VOLS!

b_neas writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

How are you the 3rd fastest coach to 300 career wins if you can not coach? I guess it is just dumb luck huh.....you sir are no mathematician.

old_number1 writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

Yeah, I was surprised about Prince being listed at all. But I've said before, Prince really still has a lot of potential. I think you will see a much better player next year. Maybe the 'nba scouts' see the same thing.

SmokyMTNVol writes:

in response to TaterVol:

But we still have football. LOL

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to UTandETSUfan:

Well, what are a/some example(s) of his non-ability to coach?

I guess you could say Noth Carolina's coach can't coach since he's had the best talent the last four years...Calipari definately can't coach having possibly the best talent in the NC game?
C'mon why be so hard on these guys ...including Pearl?
I feel sorry for them having to put up with all of us and being underpaid on top of that? Now c'mon!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

God bless you Tyler we hope you do well.

old_number1 writes:

in response to TaterVol:

Taterhead, in case you didn't notice, U.T. lost 2 of the best guards in the country from the previous year. That type of talent is hard to replace. Pearl saw this, and is trying to bring in point/shooting guards. As for KY, they will be on Memphis level. Pearl did pretty good against them, right?

SmokyMTNVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

C'mon why be so hard on these guys ...including Pearl?

Well I am not talikg up for the Heel but those coaches did go deep into the tourney.
What bothers me about Pearls teams as some on here have suggested is that they do not improve from the start of the season until the end.
It puzzles me that Pearls teams make the same mistakes over and over.
And I am not just speaking of the freshmen. It is the whole team.

old_number1 writes:

in response to TaterVol:

Look, you misunderstood me. I was saying that KY will be comparable to Calipari's teams the past few years at Memphis. They were all talent, no doubt. But U.T. competed well. I agree that pearl Should have had 1 more great guard waiting to play last year. But We did Win the East anyway. The tourney was shi**y, but pear has done the job.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

Just shut up already

sameolvolalum writes:

Lets face it Vol fans Pearl had his chance and let it slip away. I wish he would have done his job last year but he did not. He did a pi** poor job last year and we all know it. UT and Pearl found itself in the national spotlight and could not take advantage of it. They are no longer the so called sexy team for recruits. And for that I blame Pearl!

DandyVol writes:

I realize I'm getting off subject here, but does anyone know if Lofton can submit his name for the draft? Since he's playing in Europe for Turkey, will he have to follow a different path? I think most of you know that he had a game this year where he scored 61 points and was 17 for 21 beyond the 3 point line. From watching the NBA playoffs, it is very clear that good 3 point shooting wins games as well as good foul shooting.
As with Tyler, I hope to see him back for the upcoming season. Best of luck in what ever path he picks. GO VOLS.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SmokyMTNVol:

It puzzles me that Pearls teams make the same mistakes over and over.
And I am not just speaking of the freshmen. It is the whole team.

You're probably right but I think any coach would have had difficulties with last years team and their low bball IQ. I'm hoping they'll grow into something this year...+ maybe Pearl learned some things about "blue chippers".

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to TarHeelsRule:

Who knows? If Pearl had had North Car.'s talent the past 4 years he may have had 4 NC's! Just saying your coach should have had at least one more NC. These "type" coaches let their talent play. Fans mostly love it. Pearl's team this past year just didn't learn to play together. Hopefully that will change this year..I hope.

Vol_Jokes writes:

Just dropped in to see what was being said over on the lowly vol programs site. After getting past the front page with all the Vol arrests and thug activity I see this article and read the familiar posts. Still full of posts from fans trying to boost their ego by saying they played well against Memphis etc. I notice less of the "Pearl's the man" posts. Maybe you folks are coming to your senses that the man is sickening and hasn't delivered anything yet but has sure been emptying UT's bank account.
There's the usual feelings of inadequacy over here that make you feel the need to post about how Memphis is below the Vols program even though Memphis has been the overall most successful program in the country in the last 4 years. The Vols..ahh... Well there were those SEC tourneys...oh.. nevermind. The NCAA tourney... forget that too and of course last season....let's scratch that off as well.
One Einstein stated that kentucky would get better players than memphis did even after the fact that Memphis had the top all time recruiting class coming in next season. We had them all. Yes, Kentucky will be beating you regularly now. I'd say humiliating would be the better word. Pearls days with a weak SEC are over. I guess he doesn't care. He came in at the right time. SEC wasn't any good and the Vols were desperate to be something besides an embarrasment. He got rich off of it and really hasn't done anything. Timing is everything.
Well anyway, you still have the football program...oh wait.. you brought in Kiffen and Orgeron.... scratch that too.

Just in< Kiffen says that all other SEC teams are beneath his Vols and he knows they all cheat.
Boy, just when you thought he might have learned to keep that mouth closed.

in response to DandyVol:

I'm not entirely sure how foreign players qualify for the NBA draft, but I am pretty sure that if Chris ever comes to the NBA it will be as a free agent. Clearly, NBA staffs are quite aware of the foreign leagues, and surely someone has noticed how Chris is filling it up these days. However, I think the original concerns about his athleticism and defense are still valid. I like Chris and would love to see him in the League someday, but neither he nor I should hold our breath.

Vol_Jokes writes:

Wonder if the Vols will ever have anybody in the nba that matters. Doesn't seem like it.