Transfer QB Marve to announce decision - UT or Purdue - Friday

If Tennessee could add one quarterback for 2010, who would it be?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Quarterback Robert Marve plans to announce his next collegiate destination Friday.

“I’m undecided,” the transfer from the University of Miami told the News Sentinel on Monday evening.

Marve is deciding between two schools: Tennessee and Purdue.

Marve hoped to make his decision sooner but will wait to confer with his father when he returns home from a business trip on Wednesday.

Marve has tried to learn as much as possible about UT while dealing with serious restrictions.

As per NCAA transfer rules, Marve isn’t allowed to talk to UT coaches and would have to pay for his schooling for a year since Miami refused to release him to UT.

“The scholarship thing is not bad,” Marve said. “That’s just the rules and how things go. I don’t really understand it but rules are rules. (But) it’s hard not to be able to look a coach in the eye and see what’s going on.

“Paying for school is one thing but not being able to talk to a coach you’re supposed to play for … that’s rough.”

Miami refused to release Marve to three SEC schools: UT, Florida and LSU. The Hurricanes claimed no wrongdoing on the schools’ behalf but claimed a member of the Marve family may have contacted the schools last fall while Marve was still a Hurricane.

The no-contact rule for transfers is one heavily enforced by the NCAA. If contact is made — other than one initial phone call — a player can be deemed ineligible for that particular school.

“That’s a weird rule,” Marve said, “just because Miami said I can’t talk to them.”

Marve said he has studied Southern California to better educate himself on the offense that first-year UT coach Lane Kiffin will implement at UT.

“They all have different versions of the pro-style offense,” Marve said, referring to college coaches. “Some pro-style offenses run the ball more than others. Some are more into pro-style/West Coast. (Do) you call it pro-style because you’re under center?”

Marve has relied on what his father, Eugene Marve, knows of defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin to answer some of those questions.

The elder Marve, who played 11 seasons in the NFL, played under Kiffin in 1984 and 1985 when Kiffin was an assistant for the Buffalo Bills.

That connection and UT’s coaches’ pedigrees carry some weight.

“They’re coaches you’re going to trust,” Marve said. “They’ve already proven themselves by the caliber of games they have won, the big-time programs everyone has been in. You have to trust the coaches like that. Their resumes speak for themselves.”

Marve was thought by many to be destined for Purdue before he visited UT’s campus last week.

“I thought it was really nice,” Marve said. “I had never been to Knoxville before. I was interested in what the campus would look like. I thought everything was really pretty.

“I liked how downtown was close, right next to school. It kind of felt like a popping place, the atmosphere of the college there. And obviously how big the football was there, you could feel it.”

Some media outlets had reported that playing in front of 100,000-plus in Neyland Stadium was a strong factor in Marve’s decision. Marve, however, downplayed the impact of fan support.

“It’s a nice thing to have but it can’t be your main focus,” he said. “Your main focus is to get your degree and to be able to play in the right system that’s built for you. Obviously it’s always nice to see 100,000 people in the stands. It plays a decent role but you can’t look too much into that kind of stuff.”

As for Purdue, they have a long history with Marve and the offense he’s looking for.

“I like being in a spread offense, similar to what I ran in high school,” Marve said. “I’ve known those coaches for awhile now. Even a couple of them were there when I was getting recruited out of high school. It’s just kind of a relationship that’s been building.”

Marve was a Florida high school Mr. Football award winner following his senior season at Plant High School in Tampa. He started 11 games for the Hurricanes last season, completing 116 of 213 passes for 1,293 yards with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Marve was suspended for two games last season.

Marve will have two seasons of eligibility remaining starting in 2010 after he sits out the 2009 season, as per NCAA transfer rules.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bobbytodd writes:

pick purdue..we already have a crompton

MattDillon writes:

gonna be cold tonight

beachvol1 writes:

If he was going to Purdue, you would think he would have already made the move....don't kid yourself, the visit to Knoxville carried more weight than you might think, how much, we'll see......

Seriouslyorange writes:

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

It's impossible to have too many QB's, so why not? Come on to Knoxville Marve, things have to be looking good for you here even if we do sign a highly rated 2010 prospect.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Sounds like he wants a taste of the bigtime and no better place to get a little taste than in Knoxville.
His dad can afford it plus he already likes orange since he played at Miami.
Who in there right mind would go play at Purdue when you have the chance to play for a real school.

Why did Miami not allow him to transfer to an SEC school?
They are ACC.
WTF?

InertGas writes:

We don't need a Juco or a transfer. Bring in a couple of good H.S. kids and build the program around them. Transfers have had issues or they would not be transfers. Same with Jucos.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

SEC or Little 10 (big ten)
I mean come on he is going to UT ok?
If you want exposure you will not get it at Purdue.
The SEC is the place to be.
Why in the heck did he go to the sorry ACC in the 1st place?

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Probably the same idiot who said the same about Jevan Snead turning down Urban Liar, for him to pick an SEC school....we all know how that worked out last year.

Just to refreseh your memory, remember it was Urban Meyer who told Snead he was only recruiting him as a QB and Tebow as a TE, but Snead was a little smarter than that snake thought he was apparently.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Remember the good ol days when we had a great QB every year.
I remember how good Schafer would have been...Man he was fast.He never did really do anything at Ol Miss.
Speaking of Old Miss how the heck did they land Snead.
They are going to be pretty good this year.
Heck Snead may have better "passing numbers" Than Tebozo

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

Yeah I agree.
Stevie Visor boy would have prob won himself another NC at Miami.

SPeaking of the ACC I think Ga Tech is going to have some great teams.
Anybody see what they done to GAWJA last year?

teampenny#658108 writes:

What happened to staying close to his sick father? What about his other issues? Walking away from competition at UM? Will a incoming freshman believe he will be able to compete for a starting position with Marve here? Will Stevens transfer now if Marve comes on campus? We are having more questions than answers when it comes to our QB's this season and in the future. Not bringing in a QB last year PF bad, not bringing in one this year LK bad. Bet that want happen again. Go Vols

VOLorado writes:

in response to gatorz5:

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

My pick is Ga Tech they had a great year last year and I think like 16 starters return.

FSU and Miami both with great coaches would be in the spotlight.Boston College and VA tech are not bad either.In the future North Carolina and Clemson will compete also.

At least they(ACC) have a championship game unlike big 10 and pac 10.

vtvol#210290 writes:

Does anybody think that he pulls the "hat thing" Friday whereby he picks one off of a table? I hope it has a "T" and not a "P" on it.

Colliervol writes:

in response to InertGas:

Somehow I don't think Ole Miss minded Jevan Snead transferring in. He's only going to be one of the first QB's picked in the NFL draft next year. (And yes, that will be before Tim Tebow goes.) Some transfers aren't bad.

I still think Marve picks UT since Purdue is rebuilding even more than we are.

golfballs03 writes:

despite what hooker says, ut would be better off going w marve in 2010 than a true fresman

Orange_Swarm1 writes:

Who needs a QB when you have THUNDER AND LIGHTNING!

Brown+Oku=dominance

ORANGE SWARM!

NUCLEARVOL writes:

Well, Friday we will know if Heaps is coming. Simply, if Marve picks UT say by to Heaps and Scroggins! If Marve picks Purdue we may have a shot at those two. I really do not know how I feel! I wish him the best though!

MNVOL98 writes:

Wow. I say UT passes on Marve. If he wants to come in and simulate how terrible Miami has been as a member of the practice squad, that's fine, but I just don't see a need for his 13 INT's on the 2010 team. Purdue is a much better fit. And lets face it, Heaps isn't coming. So the door is open for you Mr. Scroggins. Welcome to K-Town!

chrisw2967 writes:

I think Tn needs to pass on marve , I agree that Heaps isnt coming , which we dont need a qb who has to take 2 years off to go on a mission. I hope we land Scroggins.

MrKnoxville writes:

With the proper coaching and azz-whipping this staff could give Marve with a whole year of him learning the system just might be an awesome thing....with Chaney being here and Chaney having coached Drew Breezey Boy could be yet even a better thing to land him here.

On the other hand I trully believe Scroggins is the only West Coast QB we have a chance in getting....if Marve comes here then he may just hold out for an offer from the Trojans....KIDS JUST LOVE SITTING THE PINE AT U.S.C. (it is F'n CRAZY). He has the family and what not in Tennessee but the idea of being the favorite to start right out of high school is what is keeping us in the race for this kid.

Heaps will probably be a Huskie when the dust settles BUT.....you can not BLINK with this coaching staff and their ability to close a deal with recruits (GM & Chrysler should hire them to run their dealerships man I tell you what LOL)!

gnm53108 writes:

Not gettin too excited one way or the other.I do think he will be a Vol but imo once Nick gets the starting job this year I just dont see him loosing it.He'll also be our qb in 10.

wjackson#226202 writes:

I hear a lot of talk about transfers. Well, here is one for you. Joe Flacco was a transfer from Pitt to Division II Delaware Hens. Now he is in the NFL and went to the AFC Championship last year. Everyone has their opinion and that's cool. But remember. Some guys transfer for more playing time. Flacco was behind Tyler Palko at Pitt. (Who?) Exactly. He transfered to Delaware for more playing time. I know some do and some don't. We have to give some of these coaches the benefit of the doubt in evaluating talent. It seems they have done a decent job so far.

82cat writes:

NCAA rules are stupid

A kid wants to change schools (coaches do it and get bonuses) but a college student can't speak to a coach?

I understand not allowing the coach to call the student but the student should be able to call who ever he wants.

CoachFulmer writes:

Go Vols!

GreerVol22 writes:

Dumb rule. I don't know if the kid is right for UT or not, but the NCAA should let the kid and his parents decide where and when he wants to play ball.

What exactly are you afraid of Miami?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Did you really tell Dupree that Crompton was his cousin?

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

Memo to Lane Kiffin:

I agree with your first 11 drop outs, if you give this Marve an opportunity i hope you give his jack-off Dad a cubicle outside your office- happended at Miami. Mike Hamilton does not have enough time for this " play my kid, run these plays type of parents." The drama and his inability to grow up, so i guess since he sucked at Miami, now he can come suck at UT- more INT's then TD's in a very weak league shows an upside- had to be the play calling...go to Purdue.

If Marve comes we can all only imagine the promises Monte, i mean Lane made to Marve's jack-off Dad...call Donna Shalaylay at Miami, she is glad to have that family out of the University per Kirk Herbstreit at ESPN. One Hopper Crompton will self implode after game 3.Nick Stephens has all the attributes. Rozier can run a mean scout team.

Vol Fans, do you see a pattern with the last 2 kids coming to UT: UT is now known as SECond chance U

SeanJean writes:

Sounds like this guy is coming here almost for sure. I'm a little disappointed. I guess it can't hurt to have another D1 QB on the roster, but as a Miami fan I watched this guy play last year and read about him the prior year, and I just never liked his attitude. He has some ability, but his style of play is a lot like Crompton. He throws the ball in the dirt a lot, not very accurate, chooses to run and takes sacks too often, etc. I'm not that excited.

hotrodvol writes:

Come on Marve UT needs some competition next year. When he comes he will not scare off a high school QB, but if he does so be it. This high school class of QBs is not very strong. Maybe he comes in, gets to practice with the team this year learns the offense, and he, Stevens, and a freshman can fight it out next year. Then UT can get a top QB from 2011 class.

You people throwing off on his stats from last year, need to remember he was a red shirt freshman. How many QBs come in and have a great year as a freshman? It would be the same thing if we just get Heaps, Scrogins, or Higgins. Neither one of those three will do us much good as a true freshman next year.

How about let's get as many as we can and let practice sort 'em out. This coaching staff is still going after top RBs in this class, if they get two QBs this year they will still go after two QBs next year.

in response to chrisw2967:

Once AGAIN, no Mormon "has to take two years off to go on a mission." It just simply doesn't work that way! Don't you remember Erik Ainge? He was a Mormon. Quick now, when did he take his mission? That's right, he didn't! No Mormon is REQUIRED to take a mission. Heaps has said publicly that he will not take a mission while he is playing football. We may not get Heaps, but this FALSE idea of a compulsory Mormon mission is no reason not to go after him or any other Mormon player.

orngbluded writes:

who cares if he comes here or not,we will get somebody else to come in that is probably just as good.He lost the starting job at miami and was suspended two times,so its no big loss if he doesnt come here,if he does then thats fine but i wouldnt lose any sleep if he goes to purdue.

ETSU_Vol writes:

why would we want someone who has already lost his starting job at another school who isnt any better than us at this point?

DC_Vol writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Actually, the article is discussing Robert Marve and not all JUCO transfers. In Robert's case he has had several run ins with the law. He has been arrested twice and convicted of resisting arrest and criminial mischief. Say what you like but this transfer does have issues.

I don't think we should offer this kid a scholorship for these reasons. One arrest maybe you provide a second chance but twice shows a pattern of misbehavior.

I also think, if we will be patient, we will definitely sign a highly touted four year starter from high school. By signing a JUCO player we jeapoardize our future of signing such a player.

StroVol writes:

Marve? WTF? Can we get Morley back? Seems a like a better risk to reward scenario. Coach up Stephens and Crompton and spend less time on all these wanna be qb's. Focus on 7to8 wins a bowl game and the recruits will come. Newton, Marve, Rozier? Wow, let's waste more reps with these clowns.

monsterman writes:

I don't know much about the kid. Not a big Hurricane fan. Stick more with the SEC where they play real football, but I just don't see picking Purdue over UT. I think he is a Vol!!!!!!! Even if he has to sit out a year!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

It's funny how a few years ago he was the next best thing.

ScoobyDoo writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Excellent points. Also, some kids just mature earlier than others, so they aren't ready at age 18 for big-time SEC football but are at 19 or 20.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

in response to MakerDew:

Maybe so, have not been wrong yet. I was the same guy who called Coleman leaving in March, even after Stephens hurt his hand. Anyone can recuit the first year with promises, UT is not USC and CLK thinks it is, a little more attraction to Cali then KnoxVegas. But enjoy Marve and the bullgarbage that he brings with him and the promises CLK made..Randy Shannon is much happier, know that for a fact, my cousin is Donna right hand person at Miami, their response " thank god he and his dad are gone."

gwbask writes:

in response to MNVOL98:

It is not our choice. He is coming on campus as paying student without a scholarship. I suppose CLK could tell him that he's not wanted but I don't see any good coming out of that. It wouldn't send a positive message. And we can't compare him with Boyd as far as being on campus. Remember Marve is a paying student. A good top recruit will come and compete for the starting job no matter who we have.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Remember the good ol days when we had a great QB every year.
Speaking of Old Miss how the heck did they land Snead.
They are going to be pretty good this year.
Heck Snead may have better "passing numbers" Than Tebozo

Q: How did Ole Miss land Snead?

A: Ed "The Ogre" Orgeron, Recruiting Guru

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

in response to InertGas:

I partially agree with you, but look at Jevan Snead at Ole Miss... Not saying that this kid is in the same ballpark, but you never know...

Orange Swarm

gwbask writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

Good post Hotrod. I'll add one thing. A top high school prospect isn't going to be scared of anyone we have or that is on the horizon. If he is, then we don't want him. We want a fierce competitor who believes in his abilities. Not someone who thinks that the job will be handed to him.

gwbask writes:

in response to ETSU_Vol:

Snead and Flacco lost their jobs and look at them now. One will probably be a top 10 draft choice next year and the other is a starter for a NFL team as a rookie.

gwbask writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Some good points LawCo. Especially about if he comes he's one of us. Go Vols!

hotrodvol writes:

in response to gwbask:

GW what some of these posters don't realize, is next spring all UT will have is Stevens and a baseball player competing at QB. Marve is a must, if for no other reason than to compete.

SeanJean writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Because I'm a UT alum and am a Vol first, but I follow the Hurricanes as well. Mature response though. That was really warranted.

Mommasboy writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

You sound a little uninformed. I have 2 sisters that both played basketball in college, 1 big time D-1. Most girls get noticed playing AAU on a summer team. Many coaches come to watch AAU tournaments, bc it is comprised of better players than your average high school team. So if your daughter isn't playing summer ball of some sort, and resides in a small town, the exposure won't be there. If she were that good, AAU teams would be recruiting her. Realistically, if she doesn't have a ton of D-1 letters being sent her way by her jr year in hs, go ahead and write off the Lady Vols. They recruit the best of the best. My advice to you would be get her on a AAU team. It's already a little late...but you never know.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

I'd take Marve or Newton or anyone else I thought could play. More competition the better but they would walk the line! GO VOLS!!!!