Adams: UT should try Texas in hunt for quarterback

Tennessee's new football staff won't set any boundaries when it comes to recruiting quarterbacks. That's already evident from its efforts toward 2010.

UT has offered scholarships to five quarterbacks - from California, Washington, Kansas, Ohio and Florida.

"We'll look at quarterbacks from sea to shining sea," is how UT offensive coordinator Jim Chaney puts it. "We'll go everywhere."

It's a new UT coaching staff. It's not a new theme. In the last 25 years, the Vols have started quarterbacks from Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, North Carolina, Louisiana, Georgia, California and Oregon.

But there has never been a greater sense of urgency to UT's far-flung quarterback expeditions. It has only two quarterbacks on scholarship; based on last season, neither one evokes fear in SEC defenses. Even if Miami transfer Robert Marve picks UT over Purdue later this week, UT still would be in the market for a high school quarterback.

That's why I would recommend spending some time in Texas.

My suggestion isn't based on any recruiting service's who's who list of high school quarterbacks. It's based on last season. Eight of the top 10 passers from the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision are from Texas.

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney has noticed.

"I think it is a cultural change in Texas football from the tailback-dominated offenses of the 1980s," Chaney said. "You've got all those spread offenses in high school, and those guys are throwing in seven-on-seven (summer) leagues."

There's more to it than a change in offensive philosophy, according to Chaney.

"Most places don't allow high school coaches to hire junior high coaches," Chaney said. "In Texas, you can hire your junior high coaches. So your system is being implemented on the junior high level."

Chaney already has benefited from Texas' increased commitment to throwing. One of his quarterbacks at Purdue was Drew Brees, who first starred at Westlake High School in Austin.

You can trace much of the Big 12's offensive explosion to Texas quarterbacks. Last year, you had Texas quarterbacks piling up huge numbers on behalf of Texas, Missouri, Kansas and Texas Tech. This fall, the Longhorns' Colt McCoy will return to make another run at the Heisman Trophy, and Todd Reesing is back at Kansas. Baylor's Robert Griffin, another Texan, is one of the most athletic quarterbacks in the country.

In 2010, you might be reading about Texan Giovanni Vizzo, who will sit out this season after transferring to Texas A&M from North Texas State, where he threw for 5,146 yards and 32 touchdowns in 22 games with the Mean Green.

Texas' Garrett Gilbert also might be a factor by 2010. Gilbert, Parade Magazine's high school player of the year, signed with the Longhorns in February after playing high school ball in Lake Travis, an Austin suburb.

The SEC can vouch for Texas quarterbacks. Georgia's Matthew Stafford, who played high school football in Dallas, was the first player taken in the NFL draft. And Texas quarterback Jevan Snead has figured prominently in the turnaround at Ole Miss.

Snead will be second only to Tim Tebow among SEC quarterbacks this season. Another Texan, Ryan Mallett, will start at quarterback for Arkansas. Quarterback Russell Shepard of Houston is expected to contribute as a freshman at LSU, which at least will capitalize on his heralded running ability.

Given the way UT recruits nationally, isn't it about time it had another Texas quarterback?

The Vols have junior Nick Stephens, who started at midseason last year when Jonathan Crompton was struggling, and they almost had a Texas starter in 1994. When Texan Branndon Stewart couldn't beat out Peyton Manning as a freshman, he transferred to Texas A&M, where he became the starting quarterback.

The University of Texas has a head start on the 2010 quarterback class. Graham's Case McCoy, Colt's brother, has committed to the Longhorns. So has Connor Wood of Houston.

Maybe the Vols can get in on J.D. McCoy, no relation to Case or Colt, but they will have to wait awhile. The precocious, strong-armed passer from Dillon, Texas, will only be a sophomore this fall.

J.D. began starring on Friday nights last year as a freshman while leading his team to the state championship game. He likely will be the most talked-about sophomore quarterback in the country this season.

And he has no college favorite.

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volguy1971 writes:

Although he'd be welcome here in K'Town, we need a QB now.

leedsvol2007 writes:

And where is Nick Stephens from?

Let's hope he develops and helps us to recruit that state.

dvols writes:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Not a bad idea, but it's not all roses.
Nick Stephens is also from Texas. And I don't see that working out very well.

FYI, JD McCoy is the QB for the Dillon Panthers on the Friday Night Lights TV show.
Nice try JA.

MrKnoxville writes:

I think I'd rather have a dog fart in my face than read another pointless article like this....duhhhhhh we need to recruit a qb from the state of Montana cuz the state has the same name as Joe Montana and he was a really good QB in the pros.....the end (LOL).

Voluvr writes:

I'm sure during the dead zone of football reporting you have to come up with something, but I don't think coach Kiffin is looking to reporters for recruiting advice.

lowman4vols writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

Not a bad idea, but it's not all roses.
Nick Stephens is also from Texas. And I don't see that working out very well.

Nice try JA.

Stephens is still better than Crompton.

teampenny#658108 writes:

There are no QB problems. Lane likes what he sees. He is able to coach them up. He did tried to get JC to go to USC. All is well at QB position. The only question right now for other defenses is do you put 9 or 10 in the box. So should he write about how good our QB's are or write about signing another one. Go Vols

GreeneCountyVol writes:

If we hadn't sent Davy Crockett and Sam Houston down there, these guys would be playing for North Mexico A & M. They could return the favor by sending a couple of 6'5", 225 guys with cannon arms. Some semblance of grey matter would be nice too.

WYLOVER writes:

Why did Adams throw Tee Martin under the bus by not listing his home state of Alabama?

You may remember Tee.....he won us a national title.

FLVol writes:

I like JD let's focus on signing him for the 2012 class!

Volomatic writes:

The video is long but well worth the talent. We really could use this kids arm

panties4tebow writes:

This is national DO NOT RESPOND TO A TROLL DAY!!!!!!

Attention is what they crave so please do not help their cause today - let them go hungry for today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refrain, Refrain, Refrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigger_Al writes:

Adams should try Texas in search of his next job.

Vay_Owe_Ale_Ace writes:

I believe this article was written solely for John Adams to exploit the excitability of Vol fans. This was intended to show how dropping a name (JD McCoy) and mentioning that the kid is highly touted, from the state of Texas, and has no college favorite can get the UT fans all abuzz talking about a new recruit. And to also question the intelligence of a fan base.

Don't fall for it folks, JD McCoy only exists on TV.

andy112382#209793 writes:

If John had a scout.com account for some insider information, he would know we are evaluating at least a couple of Texas QBs, I believe they are suppose to camp in Knoxville and depending on their performance, they may receive offers. I forget the names right off, I am at work but can look them up later and post the correct info.

andy112382#209793 writes:

Zach Lee, that is one I know - http://tennessee.scout.com/a.z?s=7&am...

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

Stephens is still better than Crompton.

Gotta say that I agree. I hope Nick turns in a fantastic fall camp, and takes the starting position. I think he has a ton more potential than Crompton. Plus, He would be able to really play in the new system for 2 years, which I think would be better than Crompton for 1, Stephens for 1, then a RS Freshman. That, and because I don't think my blood pressure could take another season like the Tennessee Train Wreck last year.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Adams should try Texas in search of his next job.

Exactly . . . .

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to lawyervol:

If if's and but's were candy and nuts. . . . is that the old saying? You say Weinke wins the game, I say Tee still leads us to a win, regardless.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to lawyervol:

I promise, I'm not too awful excited about Stephens. I saw what happened last year. I just think he's a better option than Crompton. I also think that BOTH QB's qill play better now that the "Clawfense" is dead and gone.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

in response to AllVol2008#1353998:

Exactly . . . .

Mabye we could work out some sort of (any kind) of trade.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

Mabye we could work out some sort of (any kind) of trade.

Like Adams for one of those 72 oz steaks from that place in Texas? That might be aiming too high, and have to throw in some boot to go with him.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to lawyervol:

Who knows. I know this spring was because of the broken hand. Once again, I hope he comes out and has a fantastic fall camp. As far as Rozier, I really see him as a non issue. Maybe he can come out in the fall and prove me wrong as well. He seemed pretty confident that he could be a starter when he decided to walk on at UT. But, then again, I've not seen many QB's that weren't confident. Hell, even JC was still full of himself after last years debacle.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Yeah, Bob, Fowlers "Tennessee Trailer Trash" comment was the exact moment that I decided ESPN could go straight to hell.

"I'm just sayin'" lol

OrangePride writes:

Good thought. I'm sure Kiffin and Co. will be looking at that state closely. Between Florida and Texas, there are a LOT of great players that UT could recruit and have excellent chances of success. And yes, we need someone now, BUT we need to also look down the line and get to the recruiting tables on these blue-chippers early. The good news is that we have the coaching talent to do both. GO VOLS.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

I was thinking we would send Texas, Adams and a case of Jack Daniels. Mabye then we could get a couple of steaks.

GO VOLS!!

leedsvol2007 writes:

in response to lawyervol:

I disagree with your assessment. FSU could not protect the quarterback that night and Weinke as good as he was had no mobility.

Outzen did not have Weinke's arm but could move.

Don't forget they soundly defeated Florida that year with Outzen at the QB position.

We had the better defense and running game and by that game Tee had evolved into a dangerous playmaker.

The 98 team had the breaks go their way but they were also an underrated football team.

If you notice the SEC is rarely favored when one of our teams plays for the national championship yet from Alabama in 92 through Florida last year with one exception the SEC has brought the trophy home.

The difference has been defense and speed from tackle to tackle on offense and on the line of scrimmage on defense.

Our 98 team was no exception.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to lawyervol:

They get Weinke back only if we get Jamal Lewis back. Not taking anything away from Travis Henry but fair wishing is fair wishing.

feathersax writes:

in response to vol1:

Agreed, but it's par for the course with a hack like JA. If memory serves, most Vol recruits from Texas have been busts.

CoachFulmer writes:

This is a great article. Way to go!

GO VOLS!

InertGas writes:

Good article John. Any idea on who is being overlooked in Texas?

GreerVol22 writes:

now he's a recruiting expert to? wow! I can't think of a more rounded guy to be Mayor next term.

prideofthesouthland writes:

Is Jason Street still paralyzed?

cc623 writes:

I would be willing to wager that GVX needs to recruit reporters from ESPN(it's a shame but,they have better talent)instead of the KNS or where ever they found this genius.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

Not a bad idea, but it's not all roses.
Nick Stephens is also from Texas. And I don't see that working out very well.

Nice try JA.

Lets see 17 QB's from Texas last year and the best QB at UT is still Nick Stephens- period end of story

DannyVol writes:

Man, what a pathetic article. So, you think UT simply ignores Texas altogether? Either Adams' I.Q. hovers around 90 or his mental health is rapidly declining. This article is fish wrap.

txsvol#372416 writes:

in response to MrKnoxville:

Hope you have a gassy dog, maybe like my best hunting German Short-haired Pointer of 20+ years ago! They were S-B-D-ers, but he was such a good dog that I let him sleep by my bed when I was hunting, anyway! Texas produces some of the finest QBs around, and the article mentions some that are overlooked, like Giovanni Vizzi, who, overlooked, went to NTSU, but, when Todd Dodge's son, Riley, decided to play for his Dad, "had" to transfer to A & M to play for Roger Sherman. Nick Stephens may not be the best choice, but I'll guarantee you that he played against tougher competition than Jonathan Crompton! Getting a transfer like Jevan Snead, comparable to Matthew Stafford in high school, but who was stymied/beaten out by Colt McCoy, would also be an upgrade from what we expect to have in 2010 (or 2009, for that matter). Go Vols! SAVol

hueypilot writes:

Let's see. There was a guy from Tennessee who played a little quarterback during that time. Andy Kelly. You might have heard of him. He was in all the papers. BTW, would this Marcus Outzen/Chris Wienke argument fall under the heading of mental m$%#@&^$tion? What difference does it make. I know lawyers like to deal in hypotheticals, but this argument, lawyervol, is a waste of oxygen.

chrihow#636670 writes:

You all obviously weren't at the 1998 championship game. You also must have misplaced your old VHS version of it or you would know a little more about the game. Weinke wouldn't have won that game! We were ahead 23-9 with about three minutes to go. We had the ball at the one yard line to go up 30-9 with about two minutes to go. Instead, we fumbled and they drove it down the field with our prevent defense in place. Then, they almost recovered the onside kick, which they debated throughly at the time. Then, we took a couple of knees and it was over. Our defense along with some key plays by Tee Martin won us that game! Buy a new copy if you have to!

DannyVol writes:

Texas? Only two things come from Texas...and I don't see no horns on Adams!

fhjm1234#209203 writes:

Stevens is better than given credit. He threw 2 picks in his final appearance last season and was benched. What I saw on television was Stevens getting in josh briscoe's face after the last pick and wearing him out because he ran an out instead of an in thus leading to the pick.Stevens was benched for that as much as for the picks. IN our previous coaches era you NEVER got on your team mates for screwing up but I thought Stevens showed some brass getting all over Briscoe. Our wides ran bad routes half the game and Fulmer acted like it was the QBs fault. When Cut was here we ran the same wides every play, just like in the pros, They ran better routes because they played almost every play. Stevens was given a raw deal for pointing out a glaring problem, our wides sucked.

Ralph_Crampton writes:

For many years the football Volunteers looked at Pa., and West Virginia for the best talent. Neyland always said that PA., and the Mountaineer state had tough players year after year.,,,Yet today and many years before, the Vols stopped recruiting in that area. Also men, wonder how VA.Tech has a good team year after year...Coach Beaman, the Tech coach recruits heavily in the Newport News area. Are we overloking some thing? Kiffin is no dummy, look for him to start looking for winning talent in that area.

Colliervol writes:

in response to lawyervol:

If if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a big ole party wouldn't we?

That's a ludicrous comment. Weinke didn't play and you don't know any better than anybody else if FSU would have won or not. The last I checked, depth is a part of football. Tough luck for them.

Colliervol writes:

in response to myfollower#555763:

Actually follower, many of the players on the title team came to UT to play with Peyton. He led a bunch of talent to come to UT from 95 to 97. UT had a veteran team in 98 with a ton of talent and Tee was the beneficiary of that talent. Right place, right time. And we got some breaks like any other title team. (Syracuse, Arkansas)

Whether naffy believes that or not is immaterial to me. That's the way it is.

Colliervol writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Ditto huey. Last I checked, the record book will always say:

1998 National Champions-The University of Tennessee

Doesn't rightly matter how it happened, only that it did. And no amount of revisionist history or conjecture will change that fact. End of discussion.