Police: Vinson not suspect in shooting; ex-Vol Ramar Smith sought in home invasion

Brent Vinson

Brent Vinson

Brent Vinson

Brent Vinson

Ramar Smith

Ramar Smith

KNOXVILLE — Police don’t believe a University of Tennessee football player was involved in an overnight shooting in South Knoxville.

Brent Vinson, 22, a defensive back with the football team, was questioned after the shooting but Knoxville Police Department Investigator A.J. Loeffler said this afternoon that Vinson is not considered a suspect.

“He’s just a witness,” Loeffler said.

Police also announced today they are seeking a former Vols basketball player in connection with a home invasion robbery but haven’t said if the two incidents are related.

“It is undetermined at this point if the incidents are connected,” KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk said of the home invasion incident and the shooting at Woodlands Townhouses.

Charles Corn, age unavailable, was taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center after the 11:41 p.m. Tuesday shooting, DeBusk said. He was listed in critical condition this afternoon.

KPD Lt. Dusty Lane said officers were alerted of a shooting at Woodlands Townhouses of Knoxville, 3700 Spruce Ridge Way. When they arrived, they found the victim and witnesses who related that two men were seen leaving the area after the shooting.

DeBusk said Corn was found in the living room of his apartment at Woodlands Townhouses. Corn had been shot multiple times. DeBusk declined to say the type of weapon or where on his body Corn was shot.

DeBusk said “there were several other individuals in the apartment at the time” of the shooting, including Vinson.

“We are also seeking to question Ramar Smith in regards to a home invasion incident that occurred May 18,” DeBusk said.

DeBusk said police want to question Smith, 21, about the 6:43 p.m. robbery Monday at Steeplechase Apartments, 5800 Central Avenue Pike. DeBusk said something was stolen during that home invasion, but he declined to identify what was taken.

Smith is from Mount Clemens, Mich., and was dismissed last year from the team by UT coach Bruce Pearl. Sources at that time told The News Sentinel the dismissal resulted from Smith’s violation of UT’s substance abuse policy and academic shortcomings.

Prior to his dismissal, Smith had been an All-SEC freshman selection. After his departure, Smith had been playing basketball in Europe.

More details as they develop online and in Thursday’s News Sentinel.

Staff writer J.J. Stambaugh contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RoadTrip writes:

And another one (or two) bites the dust. What is Ramar doing around here anyway?

tripper writes:

vols4ever93 writes:

in response to tripper:

Waldorf writes:

Ah....two of the most worthless professions in the world....reporters and cops.

1. I'd be willing to bet there is less than a 1% chance there is anymore link between the two other than an athlete and former athlete from the same school. That's pathetic journalism right there.

2. I love how the headline reads as if Vinson was possibly responsible for the shooting because he was there when a reading fo the article shows he was there....nothing more. He might be a witness. even more shoddy journalism.

3. It's KPD. They are probably trying to link Vinson to it more than find the true shooters so they can brag to some girl at a bar about busting a UT athlete to make up for their general waste of oxygen they breathe. Sometimes it's legit, but many times it's just a guy living on a power trip because he's too lazy to do anything else with his life.

CoachFulmer writes:

Ramar probably thought he was in Detriot or Flint.

GO VOLS!

Ironcity writes:

I don't think Knoxville is a good place for Brent. I hate to see him go but he seems incapable of staying out o trouble. As for Ramar, its a prime example of what drugs can turn a person into.

volingreensboro writes:

I don't believe Vinson was Questioned in the shooting as the headline would lead you to believe. I think he gave a statement as to what happened!!!! I know you need readers, but that is a busted way to lure readers in. There is absolutely no tie between the two incidents, and Ramar is no longer a student-athlete at the University of Tennessee, so why are they linked together like UT athletics is some kind of organized Crime Ring? Bad journalism!!!

gvegasvol writes:

Another banner day for the vols - I'm guessing you guys are going to somehow blame this on Fulmore. What's the odds he is sitting back and laughing about all this while he is not answering all the calls from haslam...not to mention collecting his paycheck from him as well. Let's see...that's as much as kiffin makes, isn't it?

You guys wanted this and now you got it!

Here's to hoping opening day hurries up and gets here - and we are eligible to play!

kabzs writes:

Let's see...

I was once questioned by the police about an armed robbery in a store....

It might look bad because I was questioned...

Did I mention that I was the one who was robbed at gunpoint?

You get the point.

tripper writes:

My comment gets removed for referencing a SNL character? Whatever. Y'all try finding a better picture of Ramar. Otay.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

You guys wanted this and now you got it!

How many classes did Phil attend? How strict was he on their manner of dress? I'd say CLK has shown that he's more than willing to carry a roster of 20 players if it comes down to that. If Venson is innocent, great. If not, he just made the decision to play some stud freshmen a whole lot easier.

CampVol writes:

Oh boy.

Biggie writes:

It blows me away that guys with talent and the ability to play a game for a living can't stay out of trouble long enough to get there.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Ah....two of the most worthless professions in the world....reporters and cops.

Exactly. This is terrible journalism. These stories are in no way related. Moreover, it is playing off our past experiences and risking giving all of UT's fan base a poor impression about Brent Vinson. Ramar is already off the team, so I have no interest in his activities.

agentorange writes:

vinson is just a witness. who cares about smith.

MattDillon writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Figured you for a cartoon fan, but , of course most children are

NeylandWest writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

DC - it's two unrelated stories. I know it's tough for you, but please try and keep up.

InertGas writes:

I hope these guys weren't involved. It sure doesn't look good though. Why do so many athletes end up on police blotters?. If you have the answer to that you can get a job at any college athletic department in America.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to vols4ever93:

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Ah....two of the most worthless professions in the world....reporters and cops.

Calling policemen worthless is pretty bold. So when someone breaks in your home or attacks a family member or steals all your stuff, who are you going to call? The wastes of oxygen?

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to lawyervol:

To answer your question: I don't know, but it would be nice to find out. For once.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

You guys wanted this and now you got it!

"You guys wanted this and now you got it!"

What a stupid, stupid statement.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Ah....two of the most worthless professions in the world....reporters and cops.

You're an idiot

gvegasvol writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

Why don't you answer the question for me? How many did he attend? The answer is neither you nor me know. He, or another coach, could have attended many. You simply DON'T KNOW. You are basing your beliefs on the former regeime (spelling ???) on your feeling about Fulmer and have NO FACTS to back it up.

The only fact you and I have is Kiffin has not coached a single college game and Fulmer coached over 200 - winning 100 more than he lost. Until CLK actually does something it's pretty hard to think he is handling the team better than Fulmer. Look I am wanting him to do good - but my goodness...enough is enough.

kabzs writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Vinson was a witness related to a shooting Tuesday night at Woodlands Townhomes.

Smith was sought for questioning about a home invasion Monday at Steeplechase Apts.

One would not necessarily connect the two unless it were a matter of conjecture.

Being questioned about an incident only means the interviewed person may have information relevant to the investigation. The questioning alone points to no culpability on the part of the witness. To conclude otherwise is intellectually flawed.

MattDillon writes:

in response to checkeredpast:

I imagine Daniel Hood would like to meet you in person

kabzs writes:

in response to MattDillon:

I imagine Daniel Hood would like to meet you in person

And when they met, Hood would probably pray for him.

Volumni writes:

Hi! I'm RamaHH. Bamemba Me! Ohtay!

NeylandWest writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

I believe the point I was trying to make is that it's fairly significant any time it's considered a big deal to have your team's coach showing up in classes and checking up on the guys.

Had Fulmer done it, then we'd surely have heard about it. The fact is, we never heard anything about that, now did we?

Here's what we do know...if a player gets a few DUI's and is good, he gets a suspension. - Fulmer

If a player doesn't pull his weight and lacks team character he gets asked to leave - Kiffin

Fulmer's programs lacked discipline.

We can go on and on, if you'd like.

StroVol writes:

Bruce apparently saw this coming. By the way, if you don't want your blood pressure to go to emergency levels, I would bypass posting on this topic too much. The Florida freak show is going to spin this like a key chain. Enter at your own peril

dvhill100 writes:

Waldorf writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

So given what you do to your son nightly, would your wife be guilty too under your definition?

montanavolfan writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

You guys wanted this and now you got it!

The sky is falling the sky is falling, try prozac.....

Waldorf writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

If you have ever dealt with Knox Co./KPD with a situation like you described then you would understand why I feel this way. 95% of KPD is absolutely worthless and in most cases, yes, I would rather deal with it myself as much as I possibly could that deal with KPD "helping" me.

I know it's not the popular or PC opinion, but it is mine.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to lawyervol:

Some people may think the last player we signed fits this description pretty well. Go Vols

give_him_6 writes:

No....it was the one armmed man!!!!!

gvegasvol writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

Fulmer's programs lacked discipline.

We can go on and on, if you'd like.

Like I said in my post - WE DON"T KNOW. Just because it was never said to have happened doesn't mean it didn't. Remember, the internet was just getting started when he took over.

Let me add more stuff to your "What we do know" list:

Fulmer 152 wins - Kiffin 0
Fulmer 1 NC - Kiffin 0
And the list goes on and on.

One more thing - teams/coaches hated Fulmer and UT because he beat them (except fl & neb), teams/coaches hate kiffin because he beats his gums.

BTW, we can go on and on if YOU would like!

PLEASE realize that just because you have not read something in a publication doesn't mean it never occured!

Waldorf writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

Thank you brother.

And if anyone doesn't think a lot of them take a LOT of pride in the opportunity to bust a UT athlete for as little as jaywalking, then think again.

On top of that, I'd say 25% of the disorderly conducts and such that happen are a direct result of the way the officer initially handles a situation. They are simply baiting a person on a minor offense with an attitude so they can bigger charges.

Like I said, this is all KPD/UTPD/Knox Co. I'm sure other places are better.

teampenny#658108 writes:

ESPN college page first two stories about the VOLS. This is all part of the big plan to get our name out there so we can sign big time players. So far so good. Go Vols

StroVol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Zip it Bob

cmoore7 writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

I suggest you look up the term "term". When you're done, look up "phrase". Double Doh!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Thank you brother.

Like I said, this is all KPD/UTPD/Knox Co. I'm sure other places are better.

Disagree. The arrests most often occur because the suspects run their mouths. I have been on both sides of this issue. Most police officers do not want to harass young people. Go Vols

Will_Bleed_Orange_Till_White writes:

Well IDK about kpb but utpd is a bunch of jumped up security guards on a power trip. I know a ton of good kids that have been arrested for just walking out of a bar up there. Public intox is one of the most rediculous charges to be determined by a pig.

Also, I have overherd rumors about some of the basketball team being "mixed up" with the wrong people. A few home invasions come to mind from the last couple of years involving drugs money and electronics. Ramar was a punk and I am glad to see fry.

GBFO
Kiss my arse if ya don't like it

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

This is a divided issue in the VOL nation. If you asked other victims of this sort of crime that attend UT they might not be so understanding. Everyone should have the right to attend college and receive second chances, but not everyone deserves a football scholarship. I would want only solid students with good character much like Pat's girls. Go Vols

Waldorf writes:

in response to tenn_smoothie:

So......

That kid for Vandy who was shot and killed a few years ago was obviously a thug and a "wrong person" since he did something that got him shot? Especially since it happened after midnight? Are you ready to commit to saying yes to that?

I look forward to your answer.

Waldorf writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

You have obviously not ever dealt with KPD. I won't begin with some of the phooey friends of mine went through in college because of an egotistical KPD officer looking to bust a college student.

(For the record the most trouble I have ever been in with the law is a speeding ticket, or two, ok, three.)

Waldorf writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Probably longer than since you last "played" with your son.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to cmoore7:

Hey, new guy. You're lettin' the flies in. DON'T RESPOND TO THE TROLLS!!!!!!

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Probably longer than since you last "played" with your son.

GDFBP, you've been around this site long enough to realize that you're pleasuring the trolls by acknowledging their existence. You're lettin' the flies in by responding to the trolls. CUT IT OUT!

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to sjt18:

Yeah. Her posts are stupid. But how smart is it to RESPOND to this stupidity? You're validating their presence on GVX. DON'T RESPOND TO THE TROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!