After getting first offer, Juco LB Irvin commits to UT

Once linebacker Bruce Irvin received that first scholarship offer, he knew what to do with it.

"What I've always told myself is that the first school that pulled the trigger, I would consider them first and pretty much lock onto them," the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Irvin of Mount San Antonio (Calif.) Community College said. "I really appreciate them doing that."

Tennessee was the first to offer - doing so Thursday - and received a commitment shortly thereafter. He is the sixth player for the 2010 signing class.

Irvin was also being recruited by LSU, Alabama, Southern Cal, Washington, Iowa State, Kansas State, Utah and Oregon State.

Although largely unknown, Irvin made a name for himself at a recent junior college prospect camp at Southern Cal. He posted a 4.35-second time in the 40-yard dash and did 20 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press.

"That's what separates me from being a normal big dude," Irvin said. "I'm big and I can run like I'm 180 (pounds). I'm just blessed to have that ability."

Potentially, there's much more. Irvin said he only recently got serious about working out.

"I've been really trying to hit it hard these last couple of months," he said.

Irvin figures to play linebacker at UT but he could grow into a defensive end.

"Wherever coach wants to put me, that's where I'll play," Irvin said. "I just want to get a chance to compete and prove to people I can play."

His family wasn't able to attend a single game in California after leaving Stephenson High School in Atlanta.

"Being so far away, they really can't see me play out here," Irvin said.

Irvin will enroll at UT in May 2010 and expects to have his family there every time he lines up in Neyland Stadium.

"They can come to all my games," said Irvin, who will be eligible to play two seasons in three years.

As for UT, distance and that early offer weren't the only factors in his college choice.

"I've always liked Tennessee," Irvin said. "The coaching staff - (defensive coordinator) Monte (Kiffin), (coach) Lane (Kiffin), (defensive line) coach (Ed) Orgeron - that's one of the elite coaching staffs in the country.

"I would love to get the opportunity to play for them. Hopefully they can get me to the next level."

UT also commitments from offensive lineman Jose Jose, defensive ends J.C. Copeland and Jacques Smith, and defensive tackles Patrick Harris and Risean Broussard.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Capt_Winters writes:

First!!! Nice size and speed on this dude.

McIntireIMP writes:

guy reminds me Dustin Picciotti from CB West outside of Philly. he played fullback and linebacker but sustained a concussion in the state all-star game and was never the same guy. darn, shame.

utvolsfan001 writes:

6'3" 235 and a 4.35 40yd speed...FREAK!! Man this kid could be a monster...Nice addition, that 2010 class is shaping up nicely....

gnm53108 writes:

Sounds like a beast.

Welcome Bruce.

Go VOLS!

golfballs03 writes:

This is great for us

smashmouth98 writes:

wow, dude can fly!!!

ballewville6 writes:

what a linebacker if he has a football mind and is smart to go along with 6,3 235 and a sub 4 .4 he will be as fast as most recievers and backs ,id like to see eric berry stay for senior season with the guys we are recruiting on defense we should be able to dominate i have never saw a linebacker that is 6,3 235 and runs 4.35 40 and benches 225 over 20 times he is a stud, man keep these guys coming this is the type of players you make number 1 defensives with

richvol writes:

That is just unbelieveable speed for a man that size. That's a very fast wide receiver time. He could run anyone down sideline to sideline.

Does anyone remember Brian Oldfield,a 6'5" 250lb+ track guy from the 60's, if memory serves. He would compete in his field events at pro meets and then line up against the sprinters,for fun,and beat them. A massive athlete...this sounds like him reincarnated.

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

That is frickin insane speed. This guy is gonna be special.

UTvols12342000 writes:

wow, a freak of nature in a different way.

belayvol writes:

His JUCO team roster. He is # 26. Please notice QB #7 who we are evaluating also.

belayvol writes:

See if you think this kid wants to be a Vol. Quotes by him:

I'm not trying to be near Georgia. I want to focus on a new start and the future. I'm a Vol.

He [Orgeron] stuck his head out for me and I'm going to prove that he made the right decision. No school could change my mind. Tennessee is it for me. I'm done.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

in response to belayvol:

Maybe they will offer him today. He has some good stats. GO VOLS!!!!

old_number1 writes:

in response to ballewville6:

This guy sounds awesome. But I wouldn't take the 4.35 40 speed as gospel. It sonnds like a hand timed and wind-aided time. Unless this guy is another Bo Jackson athlete. Those don't come along very often.

ethanfrome writes:

Welcome to Tennessee. Damn your fast...

Jillelumpkins writes:

in response to Capt_Winters:

First!!! Nice size and speed on this dude.

AWESOME!!! YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

SignalMtnVol writes:

"6-foot-3, 235-pound"
"posted a 4.35-second time in the 40-yard dash"

Holy Sheite! That's a big ol' boy to be moving that fast.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to old_number1:

Maybe, maybe not. The fact of the matter is that this guy is 235 lbs running a 4.4 at WORST. You make that sound bad?

old_number1 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

I said 'he sounds awesome'. But I'm just trying to not overhype the guy. I hope he does great. But I go back to the Bo jackson example. How many 235 pound footballers can you recall running a 4.35?

hotrodvol writes:

This defensive class is going to be great!

From what I've seen we are in really good shape on very good WRs and suprise RBs. It's time to turn Orgeron loose on some O-lineman, it would'nt suprise me if we didn't get a couple of juco O-lineman. A good QB will come, maybe two!

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to old_number1:

I can't hardly recall any, aside from Bo and Vernon Davis. I understand not trying to overhype the guy. Sometimes when you see the #'s it's hard to take into consideration that there have been a TON of physical specimens that have failed to do squat in football.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

Jamal ran a 4.41 at the combine, pretty damn fast for a 240lber. And speaking of Walker, here's a comparison I found between Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson. says that Bo was timed between 4.12 (that's what it said) and 4.23. Walker clocked in @ 4.3

That was two FAST and POWERFUL backs.

old_number1 writes:

in response to KatManDewVol:

Hershel Walker. He is definitely a player. Jamaal Lewis was close but maybe not quite that heavy. But you guys need to see my point. So far, the list is Bo, Jamaal, Hershel and (Vernen davis?). That is some serious heisman talent. I just say that like usual, the 40 time is probably padded a little. But I may be wrong.Irving for Heisman!!

Gate21 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Abso-freakin-lutely...my thoughts exactly SignalMtn...I doubt the opposing running back who gets off the turf looking out his ear hole will be able to discern the difference either!

SignalMtnVol writes:

ON1, Vernon Davis was a TE for Maryland. He is currently playing for the 49'ers.

old_number1 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Yes, I think he would qualify. Thanks for the info.

SignalMtnVol writes:

Yeah, I would say so. 6'4 250+ lbs with a 4.38 40. He hasn't done much in the NFL, though. He's a serious prima donna. Of course, Walker never lived up to his potential in the NFL, and Bo stayed injured. Lewis is the only one that's really had an impact in the NFL. I would say that I don't really care what they do in the NFL, but it helps recruiting to say "Hey, this guy went here, and now he's killing the D in the League".

SignalMtnVol writes:

Of course, on the other hand, you have plyers like Jerry Rice and Steve Largent who were considered too "slow" for the NFL, and we all see how that worked out.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

The interlopers will soon be on this thread. Remember, they are not the dumbazzes, it's the posters that reply to them and cause their posts to be repeated that are the dumbazzes. Let's see who will be the first to reply on this thread and get the DA award.

InertGas writes:

I've never heard of a guy that big running a sub 4.4 forty.
WOW

kabzs writes:

All the time our staff coaches have had on the west coast has given them time to sow and plant relationships with JuCo coaches. The harvest will continue.

Bringin in the sheaves,
Bringin in the sheaves,
We will come rejoicing,
Bringin in the sheaves.

jimr07 writes:

Now, lets win some games in 09 and worry about 2010 in 2010

ethanfrome writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Exactly. The DA award can be a way to enforce the policy. We need to post reminders now-and-then for all of our newcomer, or weak-minded comrades in order to ensure that GVX does not become the immature- hatefully-pathetic-interloper-fun-house.

VolinstankinFL writes:

I can here the 100k at Neyland now IIIIIIIIIrrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvviiiinnnnng. I'm getting so fired up I need to listen to Rocky Top and head butt a wall.

Hunter writes:

I know two things that are that big that move that fast: a Ford F-150 and Charles Hathaway headed to a buffet.

cjraney writes:

He ran a 4.6 before Sr season in HS. Good chance he's not a true 4.35 guy, but say he's a legit 4.5 or so. At 6'3" & 235 he's as fast and as tall as Julio Jones and AJ Green, the two premier WRs in the SEC. At 235lbs he is more muscular. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look at WR, but would be a very fast LB.

Irwin_Linker writes:

in response to MagicMan:

Except for LSU, Bama, USC, Oregon State, and Utah. Reading is an invaluable resource.

tripper writes:

in response to cjraney:

Are you serious, a WR? I want some of what your smokin'. If anything, they may beef him up and put him on the edge; although Monte likes to bring pressure with his SAM LB. He ran a 4.35 at a Southern Cal camp, so I would assume his numbers are legit.

belayvol writes:

Our newest Vol. Monster man.