Ausmus is target in Vols' search for strength coach

Former University of Tennessee track and field standout Aaron Ausmus is UT’s main target to become the next head football strength and conditioning coach, according to a source within UT’s athletic department.

Before Ausmus can be hired, the Vols have to resolve an ongoing stalemate with their current head strength and conditioning coach, Mark Smith.

Smith was still in his UT office Friday amidst mostly loaded packing boxes.

“I’m still here,” Smith said, then offered no further comment.

That won’t likely be the case much longer. Smith is under strict review by first-year UT coach Lane Kiffin.

The nature of Smith’s exit is still at question. If Smith resigns, he wouldn’t be owed anything financially by the university. If Smith is fired without cause, he would be due a buyout, which is thought to be the remainder of his one-year contract. Smith was hired by UT in December.

When Smith was hired, UT said he would earn $190,000.

Smith was one of Kiffin’s first hires in December. Now with a full complement of coaches, there are more opinions about UT’s strength and conditioning program to consider.

Ausmus was hired as head strength and conditioning coach by Ole Miss when Ed Orgeron was named coach in January 2005. Orgeron is UT's defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator.

Ausmus served as assistant strength and conditioning coach at Southern California from February 2001 until 2004, then spent one season at Idaho as head strength and conditioning coach.

Considered one of the up-and-coming young strength coaches, Ausmus was instrumental in helping the national championship team at USC as the top assistant strength and conditioning coach in 2003 when Kiffin was an assistant coach. The Trojans also won the Pac-10 in 2002 and 2003.

Prior to going to USC, Ausmus served as a part-time assistant strength and conditioning coach at the Tennessee (2000-01) and was a strength and conditioning graduate assistant with the Vols from August 1998 to January 2000.

Ausmus was the 1997 NCAA indoor shot put champion and a two-time All-American, earning both indoor and outdoor honors. He served as a team captain in 1997, earned Academic All-SEC honor roll status in 1998, and was a 13-time SEC track and field point scorer.

Ausmus earned his Bachelor of Science in Education degree in Sport Management from UT in 1998 and then earned his Master of Science in Education degree, also in Sport Management, from UT in 1999.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolWalker writes:

so......what's next

Orangelife writes:

VolWalker writes:

no you're not...but you do look like an idiot

TommyJack writes:

in response to MagicMan:

What mess?

nwcs writes:

Well, at least this guy has TN connections.

dvhill100 writes:

LK has been on the job 6 months with all new people. It will be a while before the staff is who he wants. Sometimes new hires just don't work out.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

WTH

Won't be long...any ideas for another HC? I give it two seasons, max.

Shouldn't have named that baby Knox.

87UTVOL writes:

So, is Ausmus still at Ole Miss? I read the story quickly, but it's not clear where he works now, given there may have been a change when Coach O was replaced. That appears to be the last employment mentioned.

And, it's never been clear what put Smith on the outs with CLK. What's the real story on the apparent conflict?

MrKnoxville writes:

U.S.C. Kiffin & Orgeron ties where he helped turn Trojans into beasts, hired by Orgeron at Ole Miss and turned Rebels into Gator beating beasts (LOL), and most importantly a VOLUNTEER Alumni----excellent choice.

TommyJack writes:

Big Kiffin fan, but not sure of the reasoning behind leaking story on other guy. (IF Kiffin was the leak)

tractoronthepole writes:

Here's your man. He left Tennessee as an Assistant Head Strength coach when Phil decided he was going in another direction. All he has done is be a part of 3 National Championships since he left 1 in Miami and 2 at LSU.

InertGas writes:

Welcome my friends to the show that never ends.
If you like a circus you should enjoy the three ring act now showing on the hill.
I'm a lifetime Vol fan, but it sure would be nice for things to settle down for a while.

Volunatic writes:

in response to gatorz5:

It's KNS's job to follow fictional leads given to it by a troll on the message boards who hates UT?
Better call Ahillen and inform him-- I bet he was totally unaware of that particular duty.

Orangeblood13 writes:

we were all high on this guy, what happened?

I am sure that it was a group decision, so would still like to know what happened.

tractoronthepole writes:

This site is losing its appeal because you guys have more fun responding to the trolls rather than talking about UT Football.

Greyback_Vol writes:

Sounds like Smith is refusing to quit so he'll get his buyout and Kiffin is refusing to fire him so UT won't have to pay the buyout.

I think Lane learned something in his time with the Raiders.

lildhoss76ut#638162 writes:

Kiffen will regroup bring in a quality guy and all this will be forgotten soon enough. All the doom and gloom posters need to take a xanax and relax. All will end up well.Keep the faith.GO VOLS!

tnvolintheboro writes:

in response to gatorz5:

My guess is you are an idiot.

shoalcreekvol writes:

Volunatic - Tolls are like dogs...if you show them any attention they'll never leave.

It's never a good sign when your current employer is targeting someone to replace you (right Jeff Garcia?). I'd call that handwriting on the wall. Reminds me of the ole Motley Crue song "Don't go away mad, just go away".

Greyback_Vol writes:

Chris Lowe is saying Orgeron had a hand in this.

Wonder if Coach O is forcing Smith out to land Ausmus?

TommyJack writes:

in response to tractoronthepole:

What tractorpull said.

Volunatic writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

I know, I know, and I apologize. Sometimes (frequently) my fingers type the response and click "Post" before my brain overrides them with the "ignore troll" protocol.

mattucket#231689 writes:

I think we should get Tony Horton and make sure he brings enough P90X DVD's...

golfballs03 writes:

Hire Kevin Simon. Just look at the guy...

DCFloridaGatorz69 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

You gotta be right, Gatorz5. There really can be no other explanation other than what you said. You really are doing all these Vol fans a big favor by pointing out at every opportunity what a loser lil Lane is, and if they were smart, they'd stop being UT fans and immediately change allegiance to the Gators. That's probably why you spend all that time coming onto a Vol message board, right? You're like a missionary or something (kind of like Tebow).

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

in response to Volunatic:

OK, here's one from someone who's not someone who hates UT, although you may respond to it the same way...

The "fictional lead" about which everyone is referring - that is, the 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room no one wants to mention - is this: Did Orgeron want Mark Smith to administer certain "supplements" to the players, and Smith refuse? The reason for Smith's departure emanates from Orgeron, that much we know.

I hope the Sentinel and other reporters work to learn the full story. I would start by calling the old S&C and equipment people at Ole Miss and see what sorts of things Orgeron did down there. (Hooker, Hyams, Low, somebody...are you listening?)

BTW, I'm not a troll from another school who hates UT. I played for UT, have 2 rings and served on the staff there more than 10 years ago. I am saddened almost every week by something that happens in that program. Not the things I read about in the paper...it's the things that aren't in the paper that are most disappointing.

Mike Hamilton probably needs some Ambien each night. He probably also wishes he had a university President to take a little of this heat.

TonyGeist writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Whether you're a gator fan or not, you do have a point. Seeing as it's the town's newspaper, they should do that.
However, they won't. And if they do, it won't be work of their own. They'll snatch it from The Tennessean or Chris Low will beat them to the punch.

TommyJack writes:

in response to gatorz5:

"detail under the covers" would be better addressed by Urbee and Teeblow.

auttat writes:

in response to Alt_news:

"...it's the things that aren't in the paper that are most disappointing."

If you are going to throw this out there, follow it up with some facts.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Alt_news:

John: Is this informed speculation? Pure speculation? Have you heard things about "supplements"?

boonhower writes:

Tony Basilio posted this story at 4:11 a.m. C'mon Sentinel, you're getting scooped.

panties4tebow writes:

Great - Has anyone else noticed that since the Vol Fans have quit responding to the trolls they now are responding to each other or could it be they are actually responding to themself!!!!!

Please do not respond to the trolls, they are getting hungry and angry that the Vol Fans are not responding to them so sit back and watch them respond to each other and laugh at their silly dumb remarks.

To the trolls - you can't spell stupid with U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

What tractorpull said.

What tractorpull said.

Volunatic writes:

in response to TommyJack:

"detail under the covers" would be better addressed by Urbee and Teeblow.

What tractorpull said.

volstuckinbama writes:

I'm posting because I still love my VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO KIFFIN!!!!!!!

flytnn writes:

Why are there sooooooooooooo many freakin idiot Gator fans that post on this site all of the freakin time. I'll be honest. It is more annoying than Loyd in dumb and dumber telling us what the most annoying sound in the world is.

Seriously though. You guys have got to get a life. I don't think I have ever as a true Tennessee fan once been to a Gator website. I have no desire, much less need to go and read anything or post about the Gators. This should be reserved for real fans that actually want to talk about football, not some one time wonder quarterback that will never make it in the pros.

Which brings me to another point. I can't believe how wrapped up the fans of UF have put so much stock into Timmy Tebow. I like the guy as a person, but he will NEVER be a pro quarterback. Once he is gone you can kiss your "dynasty" goodbye.

So with all of that said, go back to your websites and leave the ridiculous comments where they belong...in Gainsville!

GO VOLS!!!!! Let the dynasty begin...

kabzs writes:

in response to 87UTVOL:

Ausmus is not on the Ole Miss website as strength coach.

vol88 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

I can't believe I'm responding to you. (Sorry guys, I just can't help it.)

Z, it is obvious that you have never been in the business world, had a job, etc. Sometimes you hire someone and it doesn't work out. That's the bottom line. And BTW, anybody who hides behind a screen name and says they would go toe-to-tow with anybody is a joke.

And you got your panties in a wad over Kiffin's false claim that Meyer cheated, but at the same time, you are accusing Kiffin of something shady here. Hey, Kiffin stood in front of a room of people and made that statement. You just hide behind your screen name and make stuff up. Think about it.

Ironcity writes:

in response to PacosBill:

It means your fired

eefor10c writes:

Where are you john adams? expose this, or are you too much in love with iffin?

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

kabzs writes:

in response to Alt_news:

So tell us, what do you know of that is not widely reported?

volnsc51 writes:

Anyone that's ever been a manager knows that not all hires work out. Folks that look great on paper, interview well, and have a ton of experience just don't make it for one reason or another.The folks from Florida can speculate all they want, that's all it is, speculation. At the end of the day, Lane is the boss. He gets paid to be in charge, and to make personnel decisions as all managers do. His boss will evaluate him, not a bunch of interlopers from Lizardville.Move on.

flytnn writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Are you kidding me??

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. So everyone that reads this is suppose to take your word for it that all of these statements are true?

Listen I loved Fulmer just as much as you and yes I'm sure he had a whole lot more charachter than our new staff combined, but the fact is these guys are professionals. Don't you think someone would have reported some of this phooey as wide spread as our media outlets are these days?

Let it go man! Support them and let's go win some football games.

gobigorange8464 writes:

in response to Orangelife:

Fail

TrueVolsFan writes:

This stinks to high heaven! If what John1998 says is true, its a sad time to be a VOL. I don't care about wins and losses when it comes to leading these young men down the wrong path.

This makes me nauseas, I pray to God it's not true.

kabzs writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Thank you. You answered my question before it was posted.

Now we'll see if KNS or other journalists follow up on this before the football season begins.

82cat writes:

in response to InertGas:

Welcome my friends to the show that never ends.

Do you mean settle down like getting beat by wyoming at home?

I am a vol fan to and the problem was everything got to settled down and stale.

It was long over due for a shake up.

No one knows me icluded how kiffin will do but I just have a feeling you will see a team next year ready to get after it from day one.

flytnn writes:

in response to volnsc51:

GOOD FORM!!!

flytnn writes:

in response to checkeredpast:

Not all Tennessee fans are that way! As a matter of fact most of them aren't. It's just the ones you see in the public eye posting on here most of the time that gives everyone that perception.