CBS confirms UT-Florida will be its first telecast

Chizik defends use of limos in recruiting

DESTIN, Fla - CBS certainly knows how to cash in on a storyline.

With the off-season war brewing between mouthy new Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin and Florida coach Urban Meyer, the network announced at the SEC spring business meetings that its first telecast of the upcoming season is the Sept. 19 meeting between the Gators and the Vols in Gainesville.

Meyer, whose teams won the BCS national championship last year and in 2006, is 4-0 against the Vols.

CBS also announced it will show Alabama at Auburn on Nov. 27, a Friday, as well as the SEC championship game on Dec. 5.

While CBS plans to show one game every week, it said it will have a primetime doubleheader on Oct. 10 with games at 3:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. and a doubleheader on Nov. 14 at noon and 3:30 p.m.

Oct. 10 is one of the better SEC weekends, but the two leading candidates for the primetime doubleheader seem to be Florida at LSU and Alabama at Ole Miss. On Nov. 14 could be a key weekend in deciding division champions.

Crazy Recruiting: Football recruiting got a bit creative this past winter around the SEC, such as Auburn's entire coaching staff pulling up at high schools in a huge stretch limo.

"The bottom line is that we were trying to make a statement," new Auburn coach Gene Chizik said. "We weren't trying to do everything for the flash. We were trying to say we were hunkering down and recruiting in state.

"We wanted to show those players were important to us. It got bigger and bigger."

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said he remembered when he was at Arkansas, he found a booster in Fayetteville who had a replica of the old Batmobile used on the Batman TV series from the 1960s.

"We were recruiting Ahmad "Batman" Carroll, so I had that booster park the Batmobile for a couple of hours in Coach Broyles' (former athletic Frank Broyles) parking spot at Broyles Center," Nutt said. "I don't know if that's the reason he signed, but it helped. Their whole family couldn't believe it when they saw the car."

This and That: All nine of the SEC's bowl contracts end after the upcoming season and are up for renewal. Contract talks begin Tuesday at the conference office in Birmingham. AutoZone Liberty Bowl director Steve Ehrhart, who is attending these league business meetings, feels like his bowl's contract will be renewed, considering the solid TV ratings and rave reviews from the three SEC teams (South Carolina, Mississippi State and Kentucky) about their Liberty Bowl experiences ... The Independence Bowl has found a new sponsor, a multi-vitamin. The bowl this year will be called the AdvoCare V100 Bowl ... Cost containment will be discussed by all parties this week, and one of the issues might be no longer printing media guides. The cost of producing the guides has risen so quickly that it may be all are put online or on CDs for distribution.

gnm53108 writes:

Just hit somebody.

One for you general.

RIP

dvols writes:

great..cant wait to listen to the verne/tebow love affair

im just sayin

panties4tebow writes:

Chalk up another win for Lane Kiffin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE COACH LANE KIFFIN AND COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Great! Can't wait to listen to my favorite announcers try to suck the teblows right off of ol urbie and the boy wonder.

GerryOP writes:

102 -- Fear The Kiffin...

vol_chaz writes:

expect a ratings bonanza leading up to this too. ESPN will pimp this game for weeks...

teampenny#658108 writes:

No worries about the defense, we will hit them. Question is can we score any points. Go Vols

smokyredbone writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Lil Pri-k! Lane makes $2,000,000 a year is married to a supermodel and at 33 is head football coach for an SEC powerhouse. "LIL" would be better used describing you worth to society or a certain part of your retile anatomy.It will take you 150 years to make $2,000,000 at Krystal chumpzilla and would cost you more than that to get a "Layla" type woman to even look you way you pimply lil toad!! See ya in sept. Fa--ot!

cjraney writes:

You know CLK has gotten under Spurrier's skin for him to confront Lane directly. Say what you want, but that's just not Spurrier's style. He has always made comments & jokes at pressers, booster functions, etc. but always was cordial and professional in face to face dealings with coaching colleagues. JMO.

99gator writes:

for those critical of the cbs crew.....

tennessee hasn't given them much of anything positive to work with recently.

cut them a little slack

dvhill100 writes:

in response to 99gator:

for those critical of the cbs crew.....

tennessee hasn't given them much of anything positive to work with recently.

cut them a little slack

True. I personally don't consider them to be very good, but TN certainly didn't put much of a product on the field last year to get good press on.

OldSmokey writes:

in response to JustWaitTilOct24Kif:

Around the bowl and down the hole, roll Tide roll!!

CoachNeyland writes:

in response to JustWaitTilOct24Kif:

HAHA!!! I'm laughing as I watch my 200th DVR replay of those big tough Utah Utes smackin you all over the field HAHA!!!!
Oh, and don't forget: Bear Bryant 0-5-2 against the General!!!!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to 99gator:

for those critical of the cbs crew.....

tennessee hasn't given them much of anything positive to work with recently.

cut them a little slack

Well,if recent is two years ago...we did make it to the sec CG.I'm not braggin but that would atleast have ta go into the positive catagory.

HtownVol writes:

Wow, this site is getting worse about UF losers on here talking trash. The stuff they say is not needed. And the Vol fans that say the same things are not any better. Although most just tell them to leave. Why is the BCS champion fans on this site EVERY day? More than UT fans. Just to say that UF is SO good. Most of us know that UF is good. But we are not on here saying that UT is better than UF, we just share info about the Vols.
As fans for the defending champs you should be better fans than what the few low lifes on here show.

Youtee1 writes:

Ladies and Gentlemen......and when I say ladies I mean 'lopers......and when I say gentlemen I mean VOLS fans.I've had a revelation. The 'lopers are here 'cause their own kind won't have them. They've probably been asked to leave the Gator and Bammer sites 'cause they never have a valuable opinion about anything. Please, please, please ignore these poor souls and perhaps, yes perhaps, one day they will return to the cess pool from which they came.

!!!!!!GO VOLS!!!!!!

99gator writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

is verne getting a little too old?

yeah.

does danielson gush over tebow or the team that happens to be winning the game?

yeah.

the point i was trying to make is that i don't think they are anti-tennessee.

my experience is everyone thinks that a network and its crew is against their school.

florida fans are still ticked at herbstreit and espn for pumping up a michigan-ohio state rematch in 2006.

tennessee fans still have espn because of the charles woodson heisman award.

it seems like 90% of all fans think the media has a personal agenda against their team.

old_number1 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Htown and Youtee1, what you are saying is exactly why we have started Elite Vol posters. For you guys and any other legit Vol posters, this group is determined to pull together to 'IGNORE THE TROLLS!'.

If you would like to join us in this, Just post it and I'll put you down. We currently have 65 members on our list.

Click my user name and look through earlier posts for more info. We must 'IGNORE THE TROLLS'!

Youtee1 writes:

in response to old_number1:

I'm in.

BigOrangeJeff writes:

in response to 99gator:

for those critical of the cbs crew.....

tennessee hasn't given them much of anything positive to work with recently.

cut them a little slack

"Cut them a little sack"

Isn't that what Timmy was doing when he handed out circumcisions on his mission trip?

old_number1 writes:

in response to Youtee1:

I'm in.

Youtee, got you down. Thanks. I'm hoping for 100 Vol posters within the next few days.

BigOrangeJeff writes:

in response to old_number1:

I'm beginning to wonder of these Florida trolls are actually multiple accounts set up by John Adams in order to beef up posting activity on this site. Think about it, with the occasional exception (the UNC guy and BobbeaRacist), we have very few trolls from other teams. Adams knows, however, that Florida fans running smack would stir the emotions of Vol fans. OTOH, GVX could eliminate the trolls by posting IP addresses.

There's no way that fans of a team with Florida's recent record would be trolling on the board of a team that they deem inferior.

Why, that would just be pathetic.

lildhoss76ut#638162 writes:

CLK has put a 5-7 team on national tv by keeping the nations eyes on TN.He keeps them hanging on his every word. You cant by this kind of exposure yet all CLK has to do is talk and we sign a top ten class and play on national tv. GO VOLS!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to JustWaitTilOct24Kif:

Do we need to get you guys a room? Again, thank you for coming to our site and talking about us...shows your concern of what will soon happen.

Down_The_Field writes:

flar-duh fans are counting this as an easy win like they counted ole miss as an easy win last year.

thebjd#424943 writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

I can handle Lundquist much better than Danielson.

old_number1 writes:

in response to BigOrangeJeff:

Why, that would just be pathetic.

That is one of the things I plan to discuss with KNS. There have been several on here to propose that theory. I tend to think that KNS would not allow a 'plant' to post some of the awful, nasty, vile, and idiotic things that I've seen from the trolls. If Kns is reading the threads, they have to know the trolls are killing the site. Look at how many have left or are going to leave. But I hope with the Elite Vol Posters with me, I can get some answers.

BTW, are you going to join us?

PaulTheVol writes:

Hey Bama fan...I would be more worried about losing your third game in a row than I would about the Vols. Virginia Tech is really good, experienced and fast...and we saw at the end of last season how Bama matches up against teams with speed.

RoadTrip writes:

Don't care for his analysis very much because he gets on one thing and rides it into the ground, but at least Danielson knows to eat at Ye Olde Steakhouse when in town. If we start putting a good product out on the field you will be amazed at how fast they mount up and ride Smokey into the sunset.

Lundquist is, by a landslide, the worst play by play caller in college football history. Half the game goes by while he is talking up Danielson and the other half is gone with wrong calls.

Just say no to trolls today. One day at a time. You can do it. Go Vols!

give_him_6 writes:

The real big deal here is that the game is on national T.V. and the Vols have nothing to lose. I mean every idiot out there is picking the GAY-tors to win. And for good reason. They are just loaded. Look at them. And listen to them. They are doing national interviews and ESPN is all over them saying they are the best team and Tea-bag is the best QB ever. Wow...that's a lot to live up to. Why what if..and I'm only saying "what if", the Vols were to beat the GAY-tors in the Swamp on CBS National TV. Hmmmmm???? The GAY-tors have everything to lose and nothing really to win at all. I mean...how do they get up for their games this year? They are suppose to win them all going away. Wow...that's not a lot of pressure. I mean...a single loss and your whole season is a FAILURE!!! Tea-bag would have come back for nothing then. I'm not saying that we are going to beat the GAY-tors. But man...what if. I mean you would have the GAY-tors fans booing them in their own stadium. Well, UT has nothing to lose. I mean we are suppose to lose the game. But Florida..you guys are suppose to be end all be all. Good luck...LoL!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to BigOrangeJeff:

Why, that would just be pathetic.

Good chance you are dead on.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

Amen. Plus, they are playing with Tebows mechanics and moving him under center trying to make him more NFL-ready. We are their first test, and if they are as dumb enough as these florida trolls and underestimate our defense and Monte, they are going to have a rude awakening. We had one of the top 10 defenses in the nation last year despite how long they were on the field and they are even more experieneced this season and have a legendary coach leading them now.

By the way....Charleston Southern?? Who starts off with Charleston Souther?!? I didn't even know they had a team! Though we all know they will be bragging about the 'big win' after that game.

jackdup4vols writes:

in response to old_number1:

Hey - new poster here, but have been reading and enjoying the verbage for awhile! Am very interested in joining the Elite Vol posters. Thanks! I myself am sooo excited for the new staff and cannot wait for friggin Sept.!! Wishful thinking maybe, but I have a REALLY good feeling about this season, and cannot wait to see how Kiffin & Co. measure up on the field against Bama and the Gators!! After last years game against Bama at home, I truly think I hate Bama more than the Gators. As a fan in the stands, listening to them sent a chill down my spine and I truly despise friggin Bama!!! I truly believe that we shall once again shine on national T.V.!!

volpreacher writes:

in response to MagicMan:

I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I would like the Charlie Daniels song, the bet you're gonna regret. Now Florida couldn't score but 16 on us last year. (14 more came from special teams and defense)so how in the world are the Gators going to score 100 in one game against MK defense? UF won't even score 100 in the next 5 games against UT with MK in charge. We may not win this game, but it will be very very close. Now for the Alabama loper who says wait til Oct 24. I can't wait, UT WILL beat Alabama this year. Mark it! Vol fans, they are scared in Florida and Alabama and have a right to be.

byobbio writes:

in response to JustWaitTilOct24Kif:

I gotta give credit where credit is due. That was funny. However, it was also very funny to watch a perfect season go down the tubes the way it did last year. I wasn't really laughing because i do pull for the SEC no matter what. But when you Johnny-come-lately's start talking trash, you fail to remember what transpired the last 15 or so seasons in crimson and white. And to come, oh-so-not-so-close is funny as well. All you rammer-jammer's need to sit back, put your little hands back in your pockets and pull your greased 1984 hair styles back, lace up your wallaby shoes, pull up your hot as haities blue jean pants on a 90 degree South Alabama day and get ready for Kif and company to come in and show Nic Saban how to play smashmouth football.
BYOBBIO

byobbio writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

See bobbeaVol. Go get your own handle.

back2backchamps writes:

in response to byobbio:

BYOBBIO

byob,
Are you really talking smack about Bama's history? More titles, a SEC title since UT has one, etc...
Is everybody a johnny-come-lately to you guys?

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

and your loses to a sub par Michigan team on the decline and a Ole Miss team with far less talent were any worse?

IndyVolFan writes:

in response to old_number1:

Count me in too.

back2backchamps writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Michigan and Ole Miss were bowl teams....you do remember what a bowl game is, right?

And as for the Ole Miss loss, do you need to hear the Tebow speech AGAIN to know how it helped the Gators season? Just askin...

murrayvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

is verne getting a little too old?

yeah.

does danielson gush over tebow or the team that happens to be winning the game?

yeah.

the point i was trying to make is that i don't think they are anti-tennessee.

tennessee fans still have espn because of the charles woodson heisman award.

One thing Urbie deserves credit for is blowing the OSU/Michigan rematch out of the water. Without his considerable effort UF would have played 3rd fiddle.

murrayvol writes:

in response to old_number1:

You need to keep in mind that no good deed will go unpunished.

jackdup4vols writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Not just early -- ALWAYS!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Naffy, you're fast becoming irrevelant. Scary isn't it? You really need to get new writers.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Cute!

byobbio writes:

in response to back2backchamps:

byob,
Is everybody a johnny-come-lately to you guys?

Against UT? Why, yes, they are a Johnny-come-lately:

2002 Knoxville..........................L ....14-34
2003 Tuscaloosa (5OT) ............W ...51-43
2004 Knoxville..........................W ...17-13
2005 Tuscaloosa ......................L ......3-6
2006 Knoxville..........................W ...16-13
* Game later forfeited to Tennessee as a
result of NCAA sanctions.

19SEP09 writes:

in response to andy112382#209793:

We actually tried to get an even easier team for our opening game.

Unfortunately, UT refused to move us up on their schedule.

CoachFulmer writes:

in response to gatorz5:

Sounds like a pretty reliable source coming from our ol' friend gatorz5. Im glad we can always trust your honest and unbiased opinion. Now saying that, whats your excuse for your Men's Basketball team missing the Big Dance two years running?

GO VOLS!

CoachNeyland writes:

in response to back2backchamps:

byob,
Is everybody a johnny-come-lately to you guys?

Okay let's go way back in history then... Alabama's finest vs. our finest:
Bear Bryant vs. General Neyland, 0-5-2. Ha!!! FACE!!!

behuman13 writes:

Well CLK must be doing a good job if he's getting gator and tide fans to swarm UT sites... Never saw that while Phil was here. Go Vols!