Kiffin: Mark Smith still part of UT's staff

DESTIN, Fla. - Mark Smith is still on the Tennessee football staff, UT football coach Lane Kiffin said Tuesday at the SEC spring meetings.

"We have not parted ways," Kiffin said of his strength and conditioning coach. "There has been nothing done.

"I evaluate him like I would anyone else on our staff."

Smith never signed a contract with UT when he was hired by Kiffin in December. UT and Smith do have a memorandum of understanding.

Smith isn't expected to be on the staff much longer, according to a News Sentinel source in the UT athletic department.

Former UT track and field athlete Aaron Ausmus is regarded as the leading candidate to replace Smith.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

mbradshaw1#655539 writes:

This is still no info!

kingsportvolfan writes:

i wish they would come out with what all he has done wrong.
looks like he is all but gone!

TD_4_UT writes:

Sounds like the deal is done. Probably working on the details of money owed.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I agree, better get Ausmus in here and in here QUICK!!!

TD_4_UT writes:

I don't think the common folk will ever know the details of the breakup.

Fossilfiction writes:

Fire, hire, and move on. I don't care what the reason is. This is a distraction that needs to be resolved. Not saying I would like anyone to be out of the job but if they plan to let him go then do it now and get back to preparing for a great year football.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

I don't think the common folk will ever know the details of the breakup.

Actually,I'd rather not know.

Just get who you want and move on.This is a position we cannot afford filled with someone who is not totaly commited.

jcaltipc writes:

I'm going to guess he tried to get some of our players on the juice. The coed guess seems like a good one too

gnm53108 writes:

in response to long_vol:

Mmmm...Define "place where he shouldn't have"

Nuthinbutorange writes:

in response to jcaltipc:

This is also my guess, jc. I'm sure we'll never know, and as others have said, that's probably for the better.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Agree Smith has a lot of experience and has worked for the old ball coach which i would guess that can not be easy. This will have a negative impact on team this year no matter how anyone spins it. Hope we pay him off-just like Davis should do to LK. Go Vols

doctorvol#211700 writes:

doesn't know what he's doing, at least in comparison to strngth and conditioning at USC

JohnsonCity_George writes:

in response to gatorz5:

gatorz , You are a lier. That story is not real. You made it up and attached some Birmingham News writers name to it. Anyone can use google and search for that story and not find it. You are a zero and anything you post from now on should be ignored. Make poop up just to get more hits on the KNS web site......we all need to move to Twitter.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to JohnsonCity_George:

Everyone could use a little twitter every now and then.

coxo921 (Inactive) writes:

in response to JohnsonCity_George:

Obviously your UserName gives us insight to what kind of mind you have. Great investigative work there moron.

Scroll down and you'll see the story.

drwfocus#660070 writes:

OMG the sky is falling - the sky is falling. What a bunch of sniveling idiots.

in response to jcaltipc:

I would WAY rather think Smith tried to get the players on "the juice" and Kiffin called him on it than to find out that Smith REFUSED to push the juice when the rest of the staff wanted him to. Either way, I REALLY hope this whole situation has NOTHING to do with "the juice".

Blonde_Stranger writes:

in response to gatorz5:

I'll go way out on a limb here and say you're a Gator fan, but you aren't a "real" Gator. You're not a UF grad; in fact, you have never even been a student at UF. You're just a little Gator "wannabe," who couldn't get accepted at Florida (or any other SEC school, for that matter) if your life depended on it.

I'll bet dimes to donuts that I'm right on the money with this. You're way too classless to really be a Gator. I'm sure Gator grads are just as embarrassed when they read your drivel as folks like me are when I see what the brainless, toothless, classless Vol "fans" spew around here.