Juco QB could be part of picture this season

Lamaison waiting to see if UT makes offer

Nick Lamaison is hoping for an opportunity to play quarterback at Tennessee this fall.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Lamaison attends Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif., and is being evaluated by UT’s coaching staff.

Lamaison still needs to finish his spring semester and pass an additional course next month in order to be eligible to transfer to UT.

Lamaison said he’s spoken to UT offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and recruiting coordinator/defensive line coach Ed Orgeron about the possibility of playing for the Vols.

Lamaison has a scholarship offer from North Dakota State but said he’s waiting to see if UT makes an offer.

“I would love to be on the biggest stage in college football,” said Lamaison, who attended South Hills High School in West Covina, Calif.

Lamaison said he’s familiar with UT coach Lane Kiffin from his days as coach of the Oakland Raiders.

Lamaison said he’s intrigued by the possibility of playing for a coach with NFL experience.

“I’d be real fortunate and blessed to be around those types of football people and those football minds and just to be the best sponge I can and try to get all the information I can about the game because I love it,” said Lamaison, who threw for more than 3,500 yards and 35 touchdowns last season, completing almost 67 percent of his passes.

Lamaison also sees an opportunity to help UT immediately.

Senior Jonathan Crompton and junior Nick Stephens are the only quarterbacks on scholarship.

Mike Rozier, a former pitcher in the Boston Red Sox organization, will enroll for the first session of summer school on Monday and will be a walk-on.

“That’s one thing that’s really good is that’s a golden opportunity right there that I really would like to seize on,” Lamaison said. “If I could do well I’d love it. I’m familiar with the situation that they have out there and I’m just looking forward to seeing if I could get an opportunity.”

Lamaison said he hasn’t made plans to visit UT but would do so if he gets the opportunity.

Lamaison would have four years to complete three seasons of eligibility.

Freelance contributor Josh Ward contributed to this story.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ctownvol writes:

But can he throw the bounce pass?

orangevolunteer writes:

stephens is gone if this guy comes here.coaches have probaly offered and asked him to keep it queit till after camp.he is not the answer though.rozier will win out,but crompton will start till he shows clk what he is all about(nothing).rozier will end all worries,he is the real deal

kyvol98 writes:

Definately a position we need.
Well, that is an understatement

kennypowers writes:

Better yet, how well does he throw the defensive lineman deflection pass?

dvhill100 writes:

We just need someone who won't cost us a game at QB. The defense will keep us in games, and the running game looks like it could produce, so we don't need a superstar at QB, just someone who can manage a game and play within the system.

dshawn13#224876 writes:

dvhill100
I agree, . We a strong o-line class and a couple of playmakers. A qb that can let the game come to him and not lose the game. Let the wr's and rb's make the plays

TommyJack writes:

in response to orangevolunteer:

I've never heard anyone with this opinion of Rozier...including people that saw him in H.S.....Hope you're right, but very skeptical about him.

belayvol writes:

Ok Hook, you are going to have to start cutting me on the profits if you are going to do stories a couple of days after i post the info. Or at least give me a quote. I feel so.....used.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Another committed quarterback could affect a high school prospect’s decision. If I was a prospect I would not care who was here, I'd have the mind set to win the job who ever was here!

belayvol writes:

News about TN. June camps and who is coming.

Remember Hook, i am easy, not cheap.

corrinebrown writes:

Who hasn't been offered a scholarship to play qb?

Orangelife writes:

Actually we do need an allstar at qb. Look at all the champions in the past years... only LSU's whatshisface was moderately good at qb. We couldnt even win the SEC with Ainge (even though it was his fault)

voloffaith writes:

in response to slovog:

Oh boy here we go....I'm just saying...remember even if Taj Boyd came he was/is injured and would not have been a factor for 2009 season.

belayvol writes:

in response to corrinebrown:

Who hasn't been offered a scholarship to play qb?

I have not because i am out of eligibility and you have not because you say Corch.

davemanthevolfan writes:

in response to dshawn13#224876:

dvhill100

The. Wr cam't make plays unless someone can get the ball down field on target.

easymoney writes:

I really don't understand the reason behind worrying about a QB. With the running backs we have, all the QB needs to do is take the snap and hand it off. We need to be more concern about the O-Line and how well they block. Last year we didn't have a stable of great running backs and the O-Line was confused with spiderman play calling.

corrinebrown writes:

in response to belayvol:

GRADULATIONS!!!

belayvol writes:

in response to easymoney:

You still have to be able to throw the ball from time to time to keep the defense from stacking the box.

jeremy writes:

I couldn't help but notice the lack of offensive signee's, except for Brown and Richardson. With such a glaring need on the O line this is bothersome. It seems everyone wants to play defense for us, r we going to be the Baltimore Ravens? What do ya'll think?

corrinebrown writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

Ask BJ

jeremy writes:

Probably should have included Oku with those....sorry O.

panties4tebow writes:

belayvol writes:

in response to jeremy:

Hang in there. We will get some good news this month on the O line.

jeremy writes:

Hope u r right belayvol...I have faith in this staff, especially in recruiting. Love that Lane isn't afraid of anyone but man...I have a bad feeling, I still watch the offense from last year and there is no way I would have the cohonas to call out anyone! JMO

tripper writes:

in response to belayvol:

You need to change your user name to delayvol in honor of Hooker! Summer camps are going to be awesome with ESPN filming on the 2nd. The "x" man has gotten me fired up.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

in response to orangevolunteer:

Nick Stephens is going to be the UT starter by game 3 and will be the QB in 2010. Nick has no reason to leave because CLK, Chaney and Reeves all know Nick is the best QB in the mix, every QB You obvisuly are either a One Hopper aka Jonathon Crompton fan or maybe that guy that CLK told " Mr. Coleman, your son would have never been recruited by me at UT, becasue he is just not that good." ...neither is Jonathon

tripper writes:

in response to belayvol:

Hang in there. We will get some good news this month on the O line.

I expect 7 to 8 commits by the end of camps in late June.

tripper writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

As long as they don't eat into our 85 scholys, bring 'em on.

jeremy writes:

I just hope CLK keeps his word and puts the best player on the field no matter what position or star prospect he is. That was 1 of my biggest problems with PHil. He almost always sided with the more tenured, undertalented guy. Among other things. OR let a 5star flounder for 4yrs until they went undrafted because he didn't want to upset anyone.

ctownvol writes:

in response to slovog:

Yes. As a matter of fact I am. Extremely.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to slovog:

Yes because he is not playing this year due to a screwed up knee, and no telling what type of qb he will be after that running around on a bum knee.

jeremy writes:

hope your right Tripper!

jeremy writes:

I am tired of people saying that we don't need 2 scare off a top prospect @ qb for next year, or that the coaches don't want 2! If they can't win the job, we don't need them!!! they shouldn't be scared by anything except another top QB commit, not a juco transfer or B.J. Coleman b4 he left.

khelton657 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

But can he throw the bounce pass?

Bounce pass, shovel pass and two hand alley oop...

jeremy writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

how bout all those with a brain like Peyton? Favre doesn't always make the best decisions.

tripper writes:

in response to jeremy:

I remember Kiffin's first Vol Calls where he said specifically special teams were of the highest priority. He will not waste a redshirt if he feels a freshman can play in whatever capacity. I believe he is committed to finding the best athletes and playing them immediately if they are deserving. That's the major selling point for us right now, so anything less would be detrimental to future recruiting and his and the programs success.

gbo78 writes:

When we get the right QB he won't care who else is here. He will welcome competition for the job because it makes him a better player. He will come here to determine his own destiny. A guy who hesitates because of strong competition won't be the leader UT needs at QB.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

jeremy writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Farve can't even decide if he wants 2 play or not much less make any other decisions....he reminds me of "mermaid man" if u don't know who he is wait till u have an 8 and a 4 yr old. LOL

jeremy writes:

in response to gbo78:

great point. I am just tired of people saying anything to the contrary.

cc623 writes:

in response to slovog:

yeah I am glad since he won't be playing this season anyway due to injury.

HtownVol writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

We dont need him on here starting all the back and forth smack talking. And you dont need to start talking the trash either. Be a bigger man and just stick to comments about the matter at hand.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

in response to robvols:

Thanks got it. GH

give_him_6 writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Your an idiot

tdforvols writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Then you have a bad memory as Farve bad-mouthed the Packers and coaches for weeks on end after they sent him on his way.

HtownVol writes:

I may have missed it in the story but when can he play? And if he comes to UT and that scares off a high school prospect then that kid is not a competitor and does not need to be in the SEC. Look at Oku and B. Brown, they were sure not scared of competition, and they will be better players because of it.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to tdforvols:

I draw the line there. I would bad mouth them too if I was a hall of fame QB that pretty much revived a franchise and that franchise sent me packing. If I was Favre, I would go into the HOF wearing a Jets uniform.

jeremy writes:

like I said Farve= Mermaid man......EVIL! lmao

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

in response to HtownVol:

He can play this year.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

2010?? I was thinking that maybe we could find someone for 2009.