Crompton received death threats during 2008 season; QB never told UT

Jonathan Crompton hesitates when asked the question.

Never one to look for pity, he's extremely uncomfortable during an interview over lunch discussing the persistent verbal attacks he received from Tennessee football fans who were disappointed by his performance last season.

Yet Crompton confirmed what the News Sentinel had been told months ago, that the cell phone calls and e-mails escalated to death threats as the Vols stumbled to a 5-7 season.

"I did have death threats," the senior quarterback reluctantly said.

Crompton said he received "a couple" of the threats, all via e-mail, as the Vols were struggling last fall.

For the most part, Crompton carried the weight of such extreme criticism alone. He chose not to go to his parents for fear they would worry.

Crompton's parents became aware of the severity of the situation when a package they had ordered had slanderous messages about their son written on the shipping box.

"That's when my parents started talking about it," Crompton said.

Crompton also received prank calls on his cell phone after the number was circulated on the Internet. Even when the correspondences weren't threatening, they were persistent.

He never told anyone in Tennessee's athletic department about the calls and e-mails. He wanted to focus on football.

"I really didn't talk about it that much," he said. "You don't say 'Poor me.' "

The criticism was tough to avoid in a football town in turmoil, even at school.

"It would get tough going to class," said Crompton, who graduated in May and is working on his master's degree. "You wouldn't hear what people were saying but you would hear people whispering."

Then there were those who were a bit bolder.

"I got confronted numerous amounts of times," Crompton said.

He's not complaining about what he heard from dismayed fans last season. Doing so would be hypocritical. Crompton chose UT, in part, because of its passionate fan base.

"It was tough, I'm not going to lie," he said. "When you're faced with adversity, your true character comes out - as a person, as a student, as a Christian.

"It tested me."

Whatever happens on the field in 2009, Crompton has passed the toughest test of his football career - a test of perseverance.

The highly rated high school prospect from Waynesville, N.C., still loves football despite facing some of the worst situations an athlete can imagine. Since arriving at UT in 2005, Crompton has undergone two surgeries to his throwing arm, earned limited playing time during his first three seasons and has endured two losing seasons - one on his watch.

Crompton, however, wouldn't change a thing.

"When it goes bad, that's when you really see how much you love the game of football," he said.

Crompton has never liked admitting that criticism affects him. He prefers a private, nose-to-the-grindstone approach. But in this case, there's some motivation derived from what happened in 2008.

"It's got to add fuel to the fire," he said. "The harder people bash you, the harder I want to work."

Crompton maintains that he never soured on UT's fan base despite the barrage of criticism.

"That's their opinion,'' he said. "It's a free country. They can say what they want."

As did former teammate B.J. Coleman, who implied that he outplayed Crompton in spring practice and deserved the starting quarterback position before leaving Knoxville for Chattanooga in May.

"If that's his opinion, that's his opinion," Crompton said. "That's not my opinion."

Coleman claimed that Crompton was given the inside track because the coaching staff wanted UT's quarterback position to appear more vacant and, subsequently, more desirable to the high school prospects they are recruiting.

UT coach Lane Kiffin dismissed Coleman's conspiracy theory.

"It never has and never will have anything to do with our quarterback decision," Kiffin said in an e-mail to the News Sentinel. "The quarterback will be the guy that we believe gives us the best chance to win."

Much of Coleman's fan adoration came from his beginnings. Coleman was a high school hero at McCallie School in Chattanooga before signing with UT in 2007.

Crompton hasn't received the same sort of adulation despite years of loyalty.

Crompton committed to UT as a junior in 2004, never wavered despite a loaded depth chart awaiting him in 2005, and never complained about limited practice repetitions that all but eliminated him from contending for the starting job until his junior season.

"How many guys starting are in-state?" Crompton asked. "I'm actually closer than a lot of guys that are in-state. My house (in Waynesville) is only a 100 miles from my apartment."

Many people have told Crompton that he should have transferred elsewhere so he could have played sooner.

"If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't have signed here," Crompton said. "I'm not a quitter."

Crompton is the frontrunner for UT's starting job, although Kiffin has said there will be an open competition in preseason camp.

Kiffin regularly backed Crompton's performance even when the senior sometimes struggled adapting to a new system.

"I don't think I had that since I've been here," Crompton said.

Said Kiffin: "It's extremely important, in my opinion, for the head coach and quarterbacks to have a strong relationship and for them to know we have great confidence in them."

Kiffin's offensive system is the fifth Crompton has been forced to learn in his UT career: one under Randy Sanders, two under David Cutcliffe (who retooled his offense to go no-huddle in 2007) and another under Dave Clawson last season.

The repeated transitions could have played a role in Crompton's struggles last season. Critics questioned if he could survey the field adequately.

When asked about Crompton's field vision, Kiffin offered no hint that he was concerned.

"Jonathan has done a great job with the transition," Kiffin said. "He's taken a very professional approach to learning and studying the offense.

"I'm not concerned about previous play at any of our positions, including quarterback. Jonathan did a great job in the spring and we look forward to continued improvement."

Crompton's miscues - along with a fondness for coaching cliches in interviews so he doesn't reveal private team matters - have led some to question his intelligence. It's an issue that admittedly bothers him.

"If you don't know me personally and know what I know about the game, then how can you judge me?" Crompton said. "If anybody wants to come sit down and watch film with me, then their opinion will probably be changed."

Crompton now feels like he's back to his "old self," a likely by-product of playing in a quarterback-friendly system that can capitalize on his ability to throw on the run and improvise.

"That's something we haven't had here in awhile," Crompton said. "I'm back to going out there and just saying 'You know what, I'm going to play ball like I play. I'm going to play like myself in their system.' "

The 2009 season won't be a personal proving ground for Crompton. He's much more concerned about getting UT back on top than simply validating himself.

"I've got nothing to prove except that Tennessee football is Tennessee football," Crompton said. "It's not about individuals. It's about the team as a whole.

"It's not about one person."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utclassof1992 writes:

That is a freaking shame. Just shows how bad perspective has been skewed around here lately. Time to grow up, folks.

TNVolsFan writes:

This is sad. I love football, but it is a game. A life is worth more and a young man should not have to face death threats from idiots. Go Vols!

vol_chaz writes:

Nobody deserves this type of treatment, not even Crompton. Hope they catch the idiots that were doing this.

teampenny#658108 writes:

It is sad people would do this-but what good can come out of this interview? Do we think this will change behaviors? Will he gain support for his honesty? I hope we have a great season with JC as QB, but I feel less confident about our QB's this year than last. Go Vols

knoxVOLrockytop writes:

crazy stuff. shows how messed up fans get sometimes. awful that he had to go through it, but if he's not wanting sympathy, then why come forward with it? best of luck to him this year though (and the rest of the Vols!!)

CoverOrange writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

Yes, truly sad. Maybe it will change the behaviors of the ignoramuses that sent the emails and cell calls. Doubt it. But, I'm sure they will be here posting soon. See how many you can identify.

newtonrail writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Volfan1 writes:

Crompton,
Thank you for your loyalty (a missing comodity today), dedication to the task, and character that makes you a winner in life.
And thanks for showing more class and character than those few mindless losers who show they have no life by threatening yours.....and of course you have more class in your little finger than ANY gator troller.
You're right, supersmo, any crude poster from UF or any team should be banned for life!

bigbluevol writes:

I'm the first to say I wasn't thrilled with Crompton's play last year (that's an understatement). However, no one should be treated like this under any circumstances, let alone because they didn't play well in a football game. This is disgusting and just shows that a few poorly behaved fans can make the rest of us look bad. I hope that Crompton makes us all eat our words this year; especially those cowards who threatened him. Even if he doesn't, he's endured a lot because he wants to be a Vol and that alone is something worth cheering. Good luck Jon, serve us all a big glass of shut the h*** up!

TSNSD4UT writes:

Sad to say i'm a Tennessee fan and be grouped in with people that stupid....it's agame people just a game.

BIGEJ writes:

These "small minded" idiots that sent this mess "hide" in cyberspace but they can be found; hope JC turns over the information to the authorities and the idiots are caught and punished. GO VOLS

belayvol writes:

in response to knoxVOLrockytop:

It does not look like he came forward with it. The article says that the KNS had heard rumors months ago. They interviewed him and asked point blank. Should he have lied about it? As Paul Harvey would have said, this is some more into "The rest of the story". I have a new found respect for JC. The kid has grit. I can respect that and he is a team player. Go Vols!

cobbwebb writes:

how ignorant! somebody should send these clowns death threats at mcdonalds, every time they leave the pickles off someones cheeseburger! what a bunch of soory azz losers! i have always thought tennessee has some of the worst fans ever, and that is hard to say cause i am all orange! but give me a break, we have a 100,000 plus seat stadium and you can hear a fart in section xx! or the goons that hate peyton manning, he couldnt beat the gators, so he is hated by many! as soon as something goes wrong some moron is calling for "their job", or wanting a player "benched"! get real knuckleheads, support your team and your players! be a fan through thick and thin, through wins and losses! hell i get p.o'd when my vols lose but i have never thought about sending an 18 yr old kid a death threat! that is just pathetic!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to supersmo18:

No, not the usual suspects. Those guys would have been sending JC thank you cards. Especially, Bob because JC made his favorite receiver look bad.

TSNSD4UT writes:

in response to belayvol:

couldn't agree more Belay.

the10sevol writes:

kinda gives you a new perspective on the young man. 5th o system in 5 years? he has a bright future in the no fun league as a clipboard qb, at least, he cetainly knows multiple systems...
i seem to recall pat ryan quietly made a 10 or 15 year career for himself...
GBO

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

It's amazing how stupid people can be. Crompton had a terrible year but had to be more disappointed than anyone, having waited so long and then no doubt feeling at least partly responsible for CPF's dismissal. I really hope he finishes this year strong after so many have written him off.

mike_d writes:

Is anyone suprised by this?? Just read the bottom feeders ideas that they write on sites like this and you shouldnt be suprised. I realize that 95% of people just enjoy college football or any other sport and just live their lives. But, I also know that there are a few that have no life of their own and live vicariously through others. Sad people.

old_number1 writes:

Tough to take JC. I hope you know there are many true Vol fans that will be pulling FOR you this season!

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to Volfan1:

Crompton,

Ditto and Amen. Sure changes your perspective on what these kids go through, with all the sick people out there.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

I do not believe a word of these claims.

Two years ago the message boards were full of claims that the parents were doing all they could to put down their son's competition.

The same message boards were also reporting that despite Nick Stephens' 100 consecutive passes without an interception, he was being set up by some offensive linemen who wanted Crompton to be QB. (The reports are that those low character types just coincidentally happen to be the ones that have left over the Spring.)

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating of it. Crompton was awful in-game. He was awful in practice. He was awful or Cutcliffe, who knows as much about quarterback development as anybody on this staff, would have been developing Crompton, instead of back-pedaling from doing that.

Pardon me but this looks, smells and acts like a sympathy ploy. I certainly do not know that. But I believe it, based on the four year track record of the player and his parents, as reported on various internet chatboards, sites and here. Many, many reports were written about his parents storming out of the stadium after he was benched in favor of other players. Many other reports were passed along on those message boards suggesting that they were manipulating very strongly behind the scenes to discredit his competition, and promote him.

I do not know if that is true, or not, about his and his family's alleged antics. But this nice, hat in hand guy, of this article, who last year was reported to have pointedly indicated that he and his team played to please themselves and not for the fans, has had a lobotomy, to be so different.

It just won't wash, this newly laundered personna. It smells...well...smells wishy, washy, wish, washy.

Just my opinion, but this is a p.r. ploy---and a clumsy one. It looks and smells and seems like a version of "journalist plays ball with UT Football coaches, and they give information; if not, they give competitor in talk radio and elsewhere the scoops."

But again, that is all just my opinion---based in part on what was written here last year about this same subject---but that was when the journalists were p.o.'d at the then coaching staff, and could not find anything good to say about them---and Crompton's screwups were a weekly embarassment, which fed the journalists' blood lust at the News-Sentinel.

The only thing that has changed, in my opinion, has been the politics---these coaches will play ball with journalists who are cozy---and last year's would not. Certainly the journalists and Crompton are common to both scenarios. The coaches are not the same, and neither are the tactics of manipulating news output from reporters who need the coaches a lot more than the coaches need them.

So Crompton is now Mister Clean who really WAS playing for the fans, the school etc, etc. That way, the sportswriters get their daily blurb tomorrow...

tums writes:

I never hated Crompton. Last year he just seemed lost a lot. I enjoyed watching him against LSU a few years ago. That is the Crompton we need this year. I hope he can get it together under Kiffin. I know a lot of Vols fans aren't pleased with Clawson, I just dont think they realize how badly he screwed EVERYONE on offense up.

Vol_from_birth writes:

wow some people are idiots. if you want the football team to win games, you wouldn't verbally abuse the quarterback! how would that help the team? i could sit here on this computer all day and criticize JC, but i would never do that to his face...

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

And then there is this---IF this is true; the FBI needs to be called. Just that simple. For the athletic administration NOT to call in the FBI to probe these alleged threats amounts to malfeasance at worst, or misfeasance at least, on the part of Athletic Administrators.

Just that simple. The authorities need to be called, because if those threats would be mailed, who knows what else could be in the minds of such alleged culprits.

The trail is still fresh, and the athletic department owes the team members and all students maximum commitment to public safety and safety of individual students and athletes.

Officials need to probe the allegations. Just that simple.

DennisVols writes:

Crompton
In '80 after surviving a military accident that nearly cost me my life, unconscious for 2 weeks, flat lined 18 times, I was told I would never recover enough to amount to anything. The best I could ever expect to accomplish would be to learn how to sweep and mop a floor. Some of the best doctors claimed the damage from the injuries would limit me to minimal tasks at best.
29 years later I now have 2 degrees, a successful career as a Quality Engineer, and a wonderful family. Nothing about it was a smooth transition. I went from being a noncommissioned officer in the Army, being able to run 26 miles to not even being strong enough to raise my hand up to feed myself in what seemed like a blink of an eye.
I choose to fight what the doctors believed. I fought the challenges, prayed and continued to look forward even during a number of setbacks. It would have been easy to quit but my training in the Army never taught that class.
So hold your head high and prove all those who doubt you wrong.

the10sevol writes:

"---but that was when the journalists were p.o.'d at the then coaching staff, and could not find anything good to say about them---"

ummm, kinda like now?

the10sevol writes:

dennis (and all the other patriots) -
thank you for your service. is this a great country, or what?
GBO

rdgshackelford writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

I do not believe a word of these claims.

You don't believe a word of these claims, but you believe all of the rumors and conspiracy theories on the message boards? That doesn't make any sense. Furthermore, how could Stephens complete 100 passes in a row if his linemen were "setting him up" for failure? He was terrible in the games as well, hence Coleman started vs. Vandy. The problem last year wasn’t that the players played for themselves and not the fans (I am not sure what that even means or how it could be a problem), but it was that UT’s quarterbacks struggled in a bad offense. Hopefully the much needed upgrade in the speed department…Nu’keese, Brown, Oku, and the transition back to a pro style attack, helps the production of the QB’s.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

This is a d@mn shame. I'll admit that I wanted to puke everytime Crompton threw a pass last year, but it's just a game. These loons need to get their priorities straightened out.

TXTN writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

I do not believe a word of these claims.

1) You probably shouldn't believe everything that you read on a message board...seriously.

2) Remember that part of the reason that Nick Stephens didn't win the starting job over Crompton earlier last year might have been the same issue that lead to him receiving the nickname "Pick Nick" from our secondary in practice.

You conspiracy theorists really amaze me sometimes.

You can doubt Crompton's ability all you want, but his work ethic and attitude have never waivered despite the considerable adversity he's seen in his days on The Hill. I wish him nothing but the best in the upcoming season, and hope to see him finally realize his tremendous potential. Its sad that some people look at these athletes and don't realize that there is a normal college student inside those helmets on Saturdays.

chrisw2967 writes:

I didnt or dont hate crompton and I love Tn football as much as the next fan but (if) and I mean if this happened I cant see this going on and him or nobody else knowing anything about it,especially if your life is on the line ? If someone was calling you with death threats would you sit on your butt and not say a word or would you tell someone and get something done ?
He got phone calls about it but never no emails ?emails they can go back and get but phone calls without a number I dont know.
I wish JC can come out this year and help this team win but I have my doubts that he can get the job done.Im not bashing him or anything.I know what I seen last year out of him and if the coaches can turn his play around then good for him but I wouldnt waste my time in ruining the season depending on him.
This story may be true a 100% and if so the ones that did it needs to be dealt with.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

in response to newtonrail:

I think you might be on to something. No reply from 'ol Bobby, yet.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to rdgshackelford:

Okay...here is the remedial part:

a. Stephens was supposed to have been set up by the receivers who suddenly developed the problem of getting to the spot where the ball was to be delivered. (The OC wanted somebody who Cutcliffe approved of, to fail; and the WR coach was the OC's protege. If you think this kind of thing does not happen in coaching, you are mistaken, sir. I am NOT saying it did here, but suddenly receivers who were not top 3 were in games, and those who had caught everything Stephens threw, were not. Supposedly Stephens called their hand for dogging it, on the sidelines, and that was what started the two INT's that got Coleman in.)

b. Whatever the problem may have been, Crompton was quoted as having SAID to reporters that the coaches were playing for themselves, not the fans.

c. I choose whom I believe, I assure you. I do not believe goofballs; and I do enough homework to be able to learn who is apt to be shooting straight, I assure you. Unlike you, I do not shoot before aiming.

I was not able to verify some of what I had heardn because I do not attend games much, now; I traveled a lot last fall and the fall before that.

But I assure you that I heard comments from people whose comments over the years have proved to be rational to be rational, etc;
So I suspect the sudden, abrupt about face; I cannot prove it is not genuine, but it certainly is 180-degrees different than what he was quoted as saying in this very newspaper---and others.

One more thing for you to chew on---just exactly which school would have given him a scholarship, had he tried to transfer last year or the year before, with THAT track record?

I think this "loyalty" angle is more apparent than real. And I think you have the hook in your mouth.

WestTennVol writes:

This guy might be the most loyal player ever to suit up for UT. We may be nervous wrecks when he's under center this season (please prove me wrong!) but as a man I doubt real UT fans and your family could be any more proud. This guy is a REAL winner, best of luck Jonathan.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to TXTN:

You conspiracy theorists really amaze me sometimes.

Oh, my. You mean that everything on those message boards is not truth personified?

Thank you for the enlightening comment.

Say what you want about Stephens, but he has two years less experience than Crompton, and outperformed him in games. And the % of passes that wound up as picks by Stephens---
was a lot less than the comparable percentage by Crompton or Coleman---a LOT less, in practice. And in games, the best of the three was Stephens.

No conspiracy at all; I believe that Clawson wanted Stephens to fail---for several reasons.

And some of last year's receivers were not as aggressive after Stephens passes as after Crompton's. Watch the tape; do the homework from the columns in various papers. Draw your own conclusions, after doing homework. Betcha, if you do homework, you will say that there may be more than a little truth to that one, sir.

I got the idea from what a couple of players said, by the way.

Orange_Swarm1 writes:

I can see why...

MrKnoxville writes:

Go to this link and watch the high lights....this player was recruited by U.S.C. heavily by none other than Lane Kiffin himself....ironically Mark Sanchez went there out of the same signing class but watch the high school highlights and notice the style of offense he is playing in:

After watching those I see why he says the following:

Maybe he can now go out there and manage the game better and feel more comfortable. I hope and prey since we are back to this style of offense that he can get his stride from high school back...which earned him 4 stars and a #60 in Rivals.com top 100 of 2005 rankings.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to gatorz5:

just like a turd that won't flush

just go away

desperation? nah

after Teblow goes and your coach goes to ND, then we will see desperation

BamaVol writes:

Maybe with this system JC will have a breakout year. gatorz5 go play with teblow.

baldfan writes:

Who is Robert Ellison?

BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER writes:

Our UT football players deserve our respect and support for layin it on the line every day and Coaches play the guy they think will best help our team win.
So Crompton, Thanks for working to be the all you can! Compete and give it all you got. Trust your coaches and your team mates and know that real TN Fans always got your back and always want the very best for you!

NOW GET OUT THEIR AND KILL ME SOME GATORS! GO VOLS

utmdm writes:

Sad report. Hope he comes out this season with a great turnaround.

AppStVol writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

I do not believe a word of these claims.

Your an idiot. Keep dreaming these little theories up in your head. This kid has layed his heart on the line for the big orange. Keep waiting on Nick Stevens to come through and save the day, he sucks!

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

Guys, not only do i feel bad, but d**n i respect the he** outta Crompton after what i just read.

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Hey man, save the stupid talk for another time. This is no laughing matter. You should have stopped right after the word territory.

Vol_alumni08 writes:

volhawg writes:

I know from personal experience that Nick Stephens has a terrible attitude, both on and off the field. His attitude is the main reason he was benched last year. Had Coleman stayed, Stephens would have been no higher than 3rd on the depth chart next year. He is a strong-armed kid that has A LOT of growing up to do. I wish him and any other Vol the best of luck, both on the football field and life in general.

MidTennVol writes:

Man, I have to say I really want this kid to succeed. Good luck, Jonathan.

jinbenton writes:

I was not aware of the surgeries on his throwing arm, but that could go a long way in explaining why he struggled last year. Not knowing what type of surgery he had I can only speculate, but as someone who had surgery on my shoulder in September of 2008, I can tell you one thing with certainty; it takes a long time, even after therapy, to regain the full use of your arm. Try something as simple as throwing a ball. You probably won't have anything on the throw and be in considerable pain. Now imagine trying to throw a football downfield into a tight window. I feel bad for him. Who knows what he may have been under different circumstances.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Have to agree but thats sad that someone would get tebow or jc,numbers and make threats to them dc uery classless and immature. its just a game and thanks jc for hanging in thier and not tuckin tail and runnin here's to a great year anda new start! GO VOLS!