Vols to open 2012 season against N.C. State in Atlanta

Tennessee will open the 2012 college football season against North Carolina State in Atlanta, according to the Raleigh News and Observer.

The Vols will play the Wolpack in the nationally televised Chick-fil-A College Kickoff at the Georgia Dome.

"I like it," Wolfpack coach Tom O'Brien told the newspaper. "You've got to play one major game that gets you on television. It's great exposure for our program."

Alabama beat Clemson in the inaugural game last season in Atlanta, televised on ABC. The teams got a reported payout of $1.9 million each for playing in the game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ut18vols writes:

cool,open the season with a neutral site game!

tums writes:

Ooh, another Gator fan on the site. You guys pay close attention to GOVOLSXTRA than Vols fans do.

Vol_Jokes writes:

You guys have a real winner as head coach. I don't believe i've ever seen the likes of this one.

Also your football team has more criminals currently on it than Memphis has had in it's history. I hope you people will
be proud of the kidnapping rapist on the team. You should rename the team to Tenn. Thugs or at least Vol thugs.

Just have to wonder how many games you will win in the SEC. Coach Kitten has fired up all the other coaches and he's not going to beat them. He's guaranteed himself loses. To him it was the good thing to do. Show his team that you need confidence to make such statements. At the end of this season he'll find out just how ignorant he was.

ZacharyUTK writes:

Vols OPEN the season in Atlanta. And CLOSE the season in Atlanta.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Sorry for the rant Vol fans, but this has got ridiculous. So from here on out I'm just going laugh at them...promise. lol

And yes I know I forgot a "the" at the beginning of my rant.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

I know what your cute moniker means, but you do know that the TRUE bcs1 is the 1998 Tennessee Volunteers, don't you? Have a nice day.

acolvol#632266 writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

"I have bashed 'you will'? "I have ignored 'you will'? Now I just have to laugh at 'you will'?

The education system in Florida seem to be the joke.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

we were just there season before last.

SwagVol writes:

I'll ignore the trolls, and just say that I'm disappointed that the game is moving to ATL. I live right outside of Raleigh, and I was looking forward to a "Home Game."

txvolsfan writes:

Don't forget to go to Sunsentinel.com and search 23 UF football players arrested since Urbie Cryer took over at UF!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

txvolsfan writes:

This is the game Auburn turned down against UCLA in 2010!!!
They claimed they could not get out of the Ark. State game and make this happen. Not like you couldn't throw a couple $100K at Arkie st. and make this happen.
I guess they got Chized!!!

belayvol writes:

in response to acolvol#632266:

The education system in Florida seem to be the joke.

Gradulations!

dvhill100 writes:

Neat. Everyone will be watching, and if LK does what I expect him to do, we should be pretty good. Tom O'Brien is a very good coach and was extremely successful at Boston College. His teams are physical and disciplined. Should be a great game. I'll be there.

give_him_6 writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Quite a professonal analogy there Dr. Holic...LoL!!

I think Dr. Frued would be very interested in thier sock puppets!!!!
Silly deranged GAY-tors.

give_him_6 writes:

And befroe the speeling poleece get meee...THEIR!!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to smokeydog:

Don't we have a series with OU starting in 2014?

in response to acolvol#632266:

The education system in Florida seem to be the joke.

Must have been too early in the morning for you, but the Florida guy was QUOTING from a post by a Vol fan who rendered the contraction of "you all" as "you'll" instead of the more familiar "y'all". As correctly noted, "you'll" is usually taken as a contraction for "you will". I hate Florida and their tiresome interlopers as much as any other Vol fan, but this just fuels their fire.

scvols writes:

in response to acolvol#632266:

The education system in Florida seem to be the joke.

LOL!!!! Tell it like it is acolvol.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Right on target Orange_A_Holic especially with the part about it sadly being their only form of social life. It is much more apparent to them that the real world recognizes them for what are...petty and insignificant. The real tragedy is that they do not see that the cyberworld comes to the same conclusion rather quickly no matter how many times they change their moniker.

I would feel sorry for them if their only thrill wasn't trying to make as many other people as miserable as they are. Low self esteem can manifest itself in the most annoying of ways.

tebowownsya writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Oh yea,Then meet me here Orange A** HOLE TAKE I-40 WEST GET OFF ON GATORSOWNYA BLVD,TAKE A RIGHT ON 59 TO 20 BEATDOWN LN TAKE A LEFT ON 30 TO 6 AZZ WHIPPING CIRCLE AND I WILL BE ON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP(S) DR.IF WERE NOT THERE WE MOVED TO GATORS ARE SUPERIOR THEN VOLS AVE.

ctownvol writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

ctownvol writes:

in response to Vol_Jokes:

Hello Memphis. The NCAA is calling.

Ringleader writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

You Nimwat......This is not a kickoff classic game. This is a regular season game moved by the Home team to Atlanta. In this case North Carolina State was the Home team which moved its game. The kickoff classic game allowed you to add an additional game to the season. This game in Atlanta will not add an additional game. Know what you are posting before you blast posters.

I am quite sure that the Georgia businesses will appreciate the dollars spent during this event. Unless you pick up a recruit or two from Atlanta, there is nothing to be gained by Tennessee or North Carolina State

TommyJack writes:

Hey KNS. Were you just kidding about "off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive...."? Enforce your rules.

txvolsfan writes:

There was another arrest last week, so running tab is 23 and counting!!!
Wonder how high this tab goes?
The Urbie Cryer regime doesn't seem to be too regimented!!!
But does any of us really care?

SFOrange writes:

ah, why? $$$$$ only.
I hope this is considered a away game.

ctownvol writes:

Well for those of us living in the Atlanta area this is good news.

rockytopspottedbirgdog writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

In the Chick-fil-A Bowl?

corrinebrown writes:

Maybe by 2012 Corso will have had another stroke and be speachless

sportsfish writes:

in response to MagicMan:

I agree on one hand that our record in Atlanta has not been great lately (even against the ACC)! I think it is somewhat true that his coaching staff (dad and coach "O") helped him get the job but what if it works out? More times than not it is about the staff around the head coach. The sign of a good leader is his ability to assemble a great support system around him. It may not work out, but I hope you are prepared to comment if it does!

TommyJack writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Well for those of us living in the Atlanta area this is good news.

The militia has your photo at every gate, MM. Tread lightly at the dome. :)

ctownvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

The militia has your photo at every gate, MM. Tread lightly at the dome. :)

You're probably right old friend. Maybe some shades and a fake beard would be required for safe admittance.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

I agree but the troll tips you post are great lol.

TonyGeist writes:

I think it's funny that a fan site such as 3SIB.com had this info up a full day before a news site.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Only if you pull for the vols all other posers are ok Tj.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to Ringleader:

What's your major malfunction Ringleader? Maybe you should actually read what someone is saying and who they are directing it to before foaming and spewing off at the mouth. The word is nimwad by the way.

As for the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff game. It does give us one more nationally televised "feature" game on ABC. Any "nimwad" can tell you that is good for recruiting and not only about Atlanta. The only people hurt by this move are the businesses in Raleigh. With all the college games that go on in that area, I'm sure they will survive it.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to rockytopspottedbirgdog:

In the Chick-fil-A Bowl?

No he is being cute he means to play for the sec title which we did in 07.

kiffownsfla writes:

The spelling B is on espn for the grammer professors HERE. lol enjoy.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to MagicMan:

Fulmer Fulmer Fulmer...
Do we even need to discuss how you got your job?

Lets do since you must be him or love him like no other.

Lets see majors was in the hospital and you stabbed him in the back and stole his job.

By the way...you have my name one of us is going to get banned if you keep posting BS under it you ricjard head!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Now about the game...
I think it is great they are bringing back the kickoff classic or a version of it.
NC State may be a good team by then.
I have often said 2011 or 2012 is our year
GoVOLS!

mrmn74 writes:

Vols future schedules. Just what I have collected about future commitments.

2009

2018

9-1 Ohio State

2019

9-7 @ Ohio State

Redbone writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

They chose that game because they didn't want to have FL playing the Citidel on national TV.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Redbone:

Bwahahaha. Good one, Bone.

2407westTN_VOLSfan writes:

I wonder who will be laying out the Florible schedule after Urbie jumps ship to ND in 2010? Is it true that some of the 2009 UF games will have to be played on the penetentiary grounds?

give_him_6 writes:

in response to DCflorida1:

Another sock puppet

give_him_6 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Fulmer Fulmer Fulmer...
Do we even need to discuss how you got your job?

Lets do since you must be him or love him like no other.

Sock Puppet

txvolsfan writes:

in response to mrmn74:

Vols future schedules. Just what I have collected about future commitments.

2009

2017

9-9 Nebraska

2018

9-1 Ohio State

2019

9-7 @ Ohio State

That's strong, glad to see UT still going to play the best!!!

txvolsfan writes:

Hey TWO days and counting without a Gator Player being arrested bet they can't go a week though!!!
What does Urbie "polish my golden dome" Cryer care anyway!!!
As long as you win plus they are keeping Gainsville police employed.
I know it's all Shane Matthews fault: YEA THAT'S IT
That darn Shane is against him

Vol_Jokes writes:

in response to bricker865:

T hat's just me though. Learn how to spell and then try again.

You know Bricker, I believe I would have spelled "T hat's" as "That's". Todays lesson. If you are going to correct a persons grammer make sure yours is correct or you'll look like a fool. Grammer mistakes or not. I stand by what I said. Hiring Kiffen was a big mistake and I honestly can't believe Tenn. did it. I'm just wondering how the players will have any respect for this guy when he's more immature than most of them.