Poll: Did you like the black jerseys

Tennessee running back Montario Hardesty (2) runs past South Carolina safety DeVonte Holloman (21) during second half action at Neyland Stadium October, 31, 2009. The team, in its only year under Lane Kiffin, broke out black jerseys as a not-so-well-kept-surprise that night after warming up in orange.

Photo by Joe Howell

Did you like the black jerseys?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The players wanted them and they got them, but Athletic Director Mike Hamilton says don't expect to see them again.

Traditionalists are aghast, but many fans were stoked by the Halloween evening attire. Did you like them? Vote in our poll.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

Yes. We should do it every Halloween home game.

linebam writes:

Great gimmick... loved it for THIS game on THIS day, but let's don't use it very much. Stay with good ole' UT orange. Loved it with the orange pants, though.

cloudodust writes:

Once was enough.

BerryFan_14 writes:

Id like to see them once a year. The players loved them. Maybe after a tough loss or a must win game, i say pull them out to help pump up the players.

GO VOLS!!!!!

UTME06 writes:

I agree with linbam, cool on a Halloween night game... wouldn't be cool at 3:30 against Bama.

The story goes that this was a last minute thing, but I would've liked to see black stripes on the pants too for a more refined look.

easymoney writes:

in response to UTME06:

And Black or Orange helmets.....the white ones just didn't look right!

kabulvol writes:

loved the jerseys!

HardCoreVol writes:

Love the Black. It would have been even better if they had black pants!

GerryOP writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Yes. We should do it every Halloween home game.

What TJ said.

GerryOP writes:

The white helmets looked like space hats on aliens.

lewhs93#205993 writes:

THE MEN IN BLACK looked good.Icaught myself pulling for the white jerseys a few times for a split second.ha Good game.

SavTnVol writes:

When they first ran out of the tunnel, I said WOW ..and loved them the whole game..Was a very nice Halloween...But it was Halloween...Now back to Orange Jerseys and white pants....GO VOLS

WhiteHotBleedOrange writes:

Skeptical at first...loved the energy it helped create. We JUMPED on them from the beginning. It looked good with our shade of orange, but as said earlier, good for THIS game and should not be a yearly thing.
With that beatdown however, we just created a surplus of gas pumpers!!

DownTheField writes:

i think the poll results would be different had we lost... the black jerseys didn't look good imo... if they do it again, the helmets should be either black or orange- not white

jet writes:

Hey, it was Halloween. The kids wanted to do it. They came our like beasts and caused fumbles right out of the gate leading to the win. Just added an air of "the Vols are back, bold, brave and unpredictable!!!!" Wouldn't want the black to be a habit, but hey this will become a part of our hsitory and folklore....just like people are talking about it in 1921 or whenever it was. I am a traditionalist, but it was exciting. Most important it was a win and will be a great memory to add to so many in our great history and traditions. GBO!!!

UTmama writes:

Forgot to add one last thing, I have never seen a group of male fans so obcessed about uniforms! It cracks me up! The UT fashionistas need to think about game-play more and less about what colors the team is going to wear! LOL!

tntam writes:

Loved them! Next time let's try all black with orange numbers and white trim

Pdiddy10 writes:

gosh! come on eric berry! get a freakin interception. come one! we are waiting! i didnt even c u make a tackle. much less get xlose to an interception. come one! get an interception for a TD!

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

I really loved the Black jerseys!!!!! They set a great tone for Halloween! Would like to see other combinations in a similar way that Oregon does. Orange helmets would have really looked good for last nights game as well. But for the more traditional games wear the Orange and White. For the record we did black jerseys prior to doning the orange pror to the 1920's. Also wore black in 1963 for at least one game.

double_diamond writes:

in response to cloudodust:

Once was enough.

I agree. We are Orange and white. Vandy wears black.

MemphoVol writes:

I like the black jerseys, but probably would have looked better with white pants. However, black and orange for Halloween was pretty cool. According to my daughter, who is a junior at UT, the students were pumped before the game regarding the rumors of the black jerseys. The more you get the students involved and talking about the program, the better.

tentwenty writes:

The black jerseys looked SHARP. It gives the brand a stronger look- the orange and white is feminine and soft. The back makes the team look more ferocious.

Symbolically - being in the black means the company or team is profitable. I bet UT would win every game played in the black jerseys because of the psychological edge the players feel when they get to make a decision on choosing their own look. It's empowering.

Change is good- the orange and white didn't put up that good of a fight- time to shift and give'em the night. Back in black.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

They can wear black kilts as long as they play like they did last nite. It was Halloween, and appropiate for the theme. Let's win out, go to a decent bowl game, and finish with 9 wins!

GO VOLS!!!

givehim6 writes:

Made the VOLS look big and bad to the bone! A good look for halloween, but just halloween. I agree with the orange and black helmets.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Tellico_Vol:

You got it.

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

Every Halloween at home would be fine, but no more than that. Could touch up our helmets and pants with a little black too. And much better than the all orange - I don't like the all orange.

leedsvol2007 writes:

If I remember correctly those were the original colored jerseys. The color was changed to orange in around 1924

I love the orange jerseys the thing I like about the black jerseys are players numbers are clearly visible.

Perhaps we can now look at black lining of the numbers on the orange jerseys.

GoVols!

mountainbrook writes:

Wear the black occasionally but next time get some properly color coordinated pants to go with them.

rockyspringstn1volfan writes:

Loved them!!! I think with a little help from adidas&UT Art dept. a little more flair could be added to the jersey and then match the helmet and pants.....What"s M Hamilton problem? I guess he's doing his CommuSlive imitation!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Yes. We should do it every Halloween home game.

that would mean once in about every 15 years or so.

realtom2 writes:

they played well. you can't call it luck.
you could call it bad luck for s.c.
they lost 31-13. 31 mirrored is********?
difference between scores was 18. 18 contains how many sixes********who knew?

Chris4Vols22 writes:

YES YES YES YES. Have an open mind people!!

plhicks#417387 writes:

Another example of how Hamilton just works at UT and knows nothing about tradition or loyalty. We were dressed like a high school team. I am speaking for the silent majority that has been a fan of the vols for over 45 years, and who normally does not do online polls, facebook, twitter, etc, etc,etc. The poll will be one sided and will not reflect the true vol fan base.

UTsloV writes:

Those black jerseys look about as cheesey as those orange pants. But it matches our new fight song by Lil Wayne.

maverickbluer1 writes:

Gotta try black pants with orange jerseys!!!!!

AlWilsonFan writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You got it.

Yep, every Halloween night home game sounds good to me. :)

redneckbleedsorange writes:

Just one question, where can I get one

jumby92 writes:

It was a cool surprise to see. They should do black jerseys, pants, and helmets on special occasions just to shake it up a bit.

NurseConnie writes:

This is still a game. Played by kids. I am thrilled that the powers that be honored their request. I think it was fabulous for morale. The stadium was rockin'. "We're baaaaaaack" and it is great fun.

DCVOL1 writes:

NOOOOO! HATE THEM! WHAT, ARE VOLS NOW TRYING TO EMULATE THE OAKLAND RAIDERS OR SOMETHING? LOSE THE BLACK PLEASE! WE ARE THE ORANGE AND WHITE NATION!

volsfan4ever writes:

About time!!!I loved it!!Although they shoulda wore black helmets and black pants also...What people have to understand is that the game is played by 18,19,20 year old kids.Younger kids get bored easily.Even though alot of "traditionalists" didn't like it,sorry this is almost 2010,kids like to switch it up sometimes aka oregon,georgia,louisville,west virginia,arizona,etc..laugh if you want but it probably helped in recruiting,kiffin is sending a message,this is a new era in tennessee football!!!!

vol52 writes:

It was great! Let the kids have some fun and it helped take our minds off a close defeat. Use them for very special games and add orange helmets next time! Go VOLS

KptVol writes:

I like it for a Halloween game every year. They shoulda included the black helmet with the orange T.

That being said, I like orange and white and don't want to see a departure from our traditional uniforms very often.

ucancallmeray writes:

Another great PR stunt for the Kiffin regime!! More national press on ESPN that's great for recruiting. p.s. - to all you sports writers out there who feel you got scooped by Mike Hamilton and company - too bad! If they'd told you what they had planned, you would have ruined the effect.

UTmama writes:

in response to plhicks#417387:

Obviously your Metamucil didn't kick in today! Give the guys a break! They wanted black jerseys which hasn't been done since 1921. It was Halloween and they had just come off of a heartbreaker against Alabama! Think of someone other than yourself! The TEAM had fun with it.

423tiger18 writes:

I thought the black jerseys were AWESOME!!! It got the soaking wet crowd out of their seats and,I think, had a direct impact on the game.Kiffin is the man!!
Get on the Lane Train or go home...this is what Tennessee Football is about.

NTNSTY writes:

I just want to stop talking about jersey color. Please.

UTmama writes:

in response to NTNSTY:

I just want to stop talking about jersey color. Please.

I'm with you! When did the SEC become fashionistas?? On the way to the game yesterday, that's all they talked about on the call in show on the radio! Where's the talk about our team and how they're playing?

LittleDucky writes:

I wasn't crazy about them as they aren't the traditional orange and white uniform, but it WAS Halloween, and it may have just thrown off the opposition a little..... good strategy! Keep them for every now and then.

olsmokey32 writes:

I think it was great seeing them run out of the tunnel in black.I also think the team was very excited about it.They came out fired up and caused 3 turnovers right off the bat.Great win. GO BIG ORANGE.