Tennessee's Jackson SEC freshman of week

Tennessee safety Janzen Jackson earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors after making a career and season high seven tackles during Saturday’s win over South Carolina.

The true freshman from Lake Charles, La., also forced a fumble and contributed two pass breakups during the 31-13 victory. Jackson’s big hit on the game’s third play from scrimmage resulted in a Gamecocks fumble that Tennessee recovered and turned into seven points just two plays later. The Vols capitalized on four Carolina turnovers to score 24 of their 31 points.

“I don’t know how he did what he did; he was everywhere,” head coach Lane Kiffin. “I’d like to figure out what it is and let everybody else have it because he was unbelievable. That’s a freshman. He’s knocking people out left and right all around the ball, and then on kickoff coverage he’s still the first guy down.

“I’d like to say he’s going to be a great player, but he already is.”

Jackson has started seven of eight games this season and stands as the leading freshman on the team with 33 tackles. He’s also tied for third in special teams tackles with five.

Other honorees this week from the SEC are Mississippi State tailback Anthony Dixon (offense), Auburn cornerback Walt McFadden (defense), Florida placekicker Caleb Sturgis (special teams), Arkansas guard Mitch Petrus (offensive line) and Auburn end Antonio Coleman (defensive line).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

JCVol85 writes:

Our own Janzen Jackson made SEC Freshman of the week too...Why a story about a player from a different team making the week's all conference list?

ahillen writes:

Good point. Has been updated.

MillisaAnn writes:

Congratulations!!!

huntined#565710 writes:

Man he hits like Berry...still remember the hit on James in the FLA game..

jakethevolguy writes:

Did you see that de-cleater near the side line on that running back? Wooooweee!! I bout came out of my own shoes!!! GBO Beat Mempus!!

kevin151 writes:

When this kid fills out, he will be one of the most feared defenders in football. He just flat out puts people on their a## already.

VolunteerLifer writes:

The first of many more honors and recognitions to come. Way to go, Janzen!!

davethevol writes:

He is a beast. It's great to have this guy on the team.

GreerVol22 writes:

no doubt the kid has watched his share of EB game tape. He hits like him and everything. Sometimes I can't tell them apart...scary good. BOO!

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to kevin151:

You're right. I didn't fully realize that until Saturday night. The guy can hit. I don't think Berry delivered those types of hits in his freshman season.

TrouserCough writes:

Dude is a hitter!

volsfan74 writes:

in response to myfollower#555763:

Please bring me up to speed, what happen that Nuke could possibly be in trouble?

Volunatic writes:

Congrats, Janzen!
He is one hard-hitting dude. I sure am glad he decided to play for UT.

DancingOutlaw writes:

hits like a ton of bricks. sometimes gets a little overzealous, i've thought more than once this season he could've gotten flagged for late hits. control the power, listen to berry and i think we've got an excellent replacement for next year.

CHS52VOL writes:

Congratulations, JJ! How did big Dan Williams get overlooked as best defensive lineman? The guy plays as if he is from another planet! GBO!

RaineyVol writes:

Glad we have another Eric Berry look alike

JACK8254 writes:

This guy is as tough as nails and hits as hard as Eric Berry. He will be a first rounder by his JR year.

joshvols writes:

darren myles jr. has played well when he's gotten in the game, i like our safeties next year.

DownTheField writes:

Congrats Janzen! I love the way this team plays. It's gonna be a fun ride!

steelersman42 writes:

in response to JustMe2Day1:

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH. Slow down there, buddy. Ain't NOBODY better than Eric Berry. NOBODY.

crimsonviper writes:

Absolutely deserved this.The dude brought the hammer with him...Hits like Ronnie Lott.
Jackhammer Jackson

Need_2_Know writes:

Congratulations to Janzen Jackson for his being so honored, he has bought in, gotten coached up, and worked to be a valuable asset. Kudos also to his teammates who help make his successes possible.

Nu'keese Richardson seemed to have done likewise, contributing to team goals albeit not as a starter. However, if the young man is having second thoughts about where his future lies, he'd best get those sorted out so that he can move forward in a proficient and expedient manner. If in fact he does wish to transfer, how about all of us showing a little class and saying thanks for your contributions, Nuke, and good luck in the future. We need to concentrate on what's best for us and the Big Orange, and Nuke needs to do the same.

I'm just sayin' . . .

crimsonviper writes:

I can relate Big.In high school i played against Tony Burse who went on to play fullback for Seattle. I met him in open field and lowered my helmet to stick him...when I woke up i knew baseball was my calling...GBO

TnScooby writes:

Way to go JJ!! I think Dan Williams should have been included as well for Defensive Player Of The Week...But please don't anyone say he is better than Eric Berry....I don't buy that argument at all! Give him some time and we'll see..But for now enjoy this award and continue to give your all!!!

Go Vols!!!!!

BubbaJ writes:

I know one thing. Ol Bubba is a fairly big guy, and if I saw number 15 coming at me, I'd duck!
The kid hits like a ton of bricks. He's goin' to
have many a WR hearing footsteps!

SmokeyHound writes:

do you all remember that he lost an easy interception? also, when the heck is berry gonna beat that record and finally get a pick??? he isn't playing to his full potential.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Man brings it every play.

You go, Janzen!

the10sevol writes:

clk on Volcalls tonight: nuke is ok, issues have been worked out.

GBO

TrueVol70 writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Can't get enough of that video! I have a screen shot of Jantzen's hit on James as my screen saver. Awesome hit! Have to agree with CrimsonViper - call him Jackhammer Jackson! He absolutely nails people!

Need_2_Know writes:

in response to SmokeyHound:

Given your comment, I'm not sure how closely you actually watch the games. I think we're all surprised and a perhaps a little disappointed that EB hasn't already snagged the interception return record, but he has been playing up to his potential. He is doing whatever the defensive coaching staff asks him to do (don't believe me? ask them), not only playing safety but acting as an on-field general as well. Several times I've seen him directing linebackers and defensive backs into the correct alignment/assignment, and you can't underestimate the value of that performance. He is also doing some inside (and occasionally outside) blitzing, which I personally dislike but, hey, they're the pros at this.

EB's time will likely come, just have a little patience, please.

Go Vols, and I'll hang up and listen to your comments ..

dowhatsright writes:

in response to myfollower#555763:

I hope for his sake that his parents tell him to get tough about it. I've seen kids lose fantastic opportunities because they got "homesick". On the other hand, if he is too immature to understand what an opportunity this is for him, then....

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to myfollower#555763:

Easy on Nuke. If he stays, his day will come. Nuke is deregulated due to Montario's senior year production emergence along with B. Brown's power running ability when Montario is off the field so we don't lose that. Our OL is light so having a back that can pound helps wear down a defense giving us the better chance to win. Nuke's speed is fine but the reality of our team's vulnerabilities forces the coaches to make decisions to optimize out chances to win.

Hopefully, nuke understands this and stays to await his chance.

tennesseebee writes:

Jansen Jackson is special. We were VERY lucky to get him. For those who think though, that he is better than Berry, understand that EB is a team player. To help our team win, Monte is mixing him around in the Defense and taking him out of the playmaking game somewhat in order to shore up our defensive front and help in our thin linebacking corps. Please recognize EB is not whining about it either. He is a team player who does what he needs to do to give us W's.

orangevolman writes:

in response to tennesseebee:

Absolutely. While it would be terrific for EB to break the record, he realizes he is receiving invaluable training from Monte and staff. What the coaching staff has EB doing will just increase EB's draft rating. Besides, EB continues to help the team in a number of ways. When our MLB when down weeks ago, more and more "leadership" responsibilities fell to EB and he has performed very well.

RespectTradition writes:

At this point, Berry is definitely a superior player than Jackson. This is in no way a discredit to Jackson. He is playing some great football. In fact, I think he has more potential between the two. I think it is an arguable position to say that we have the best safety combo in the country. I am just glad that both of them are called Vols. I just wish we could have that combo intact next year. That would be sweet.

Go Vols!