Meyer fined $30,000 by SEC for criticizing officials

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Urban Meyer of Florida became the first coach to be disciplined under the Southeastern Conference’s new policy regarding criticizing officials.

The league fined Meyer $30,000 on Friday, two days after he said referees missed a late hit against quarterback Tim Tebow in No. 1 Florida’s 41-17 win against Georgia. Meyer sent video of the play to the SEC office, but his mistake was telling reporters refs missed the call.

Last week, the SEC changed its policy about coaches publicly criticizing officials, making the punishment either a fine or a suspension and doing away with reprimands. The change came after Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin, Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen and Arkansas’ Bobby Petrino were reprimanded after they publicly questioned officiating.

“Coach Meyer has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics,” SEC commissioner Mike Slive said in a statement. “SEC bylaw 10.5.4 clearly states that the coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from public criticism of officials. The league’s athletics directors and presidents and chancellors have made it clear that negative public comments on officiating are not acceptable.”

Meyer apologized following the fine.

“As I stated last week, I have great respect for commissioner Mike Slive and the Southeastern Conference, and I respect this decision,” Meyer said in a statement. “There was no intent to criticize an official after being asked about a situation that occurred last Saturday, and I apologize for my remarks.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

CRFVols writes:

Slive must have been taking heat.....and now he knows he can unleash on Kiffin given the opportunity.

wolfie1129 writes:

Who would of ever thought Coach Kiffin would have lost this honor. Ten to one LK get s 50k fine just to try and one up Meyer.

CB4VOLZ writes:

I have to give credit where credit is due. Nice going, Mike....... But I still think you're wearing your Tebow panties today.

seventysevenvol writes:

Kiffin, take notice...please. Slive will by-pass the fine and suspend you next.

orangeblood8456 writes:

i imagine $30,000 fine for urbie was ok to him, just to take the pressure off commish slime to suspend spikes!

bigcanesfan73 writes:

could not of happened to a better guy.....Go Vols & Go Canes!!!!

thaclaw writes:

big deal!!! 30 thousand is a drop in the hat!!!

kkempf#226833 writes:

He's got all the money he could ask for. What's $30,000 to him when a suspension would mean a lot more? It's like there wasn't even a point to Slive adding the suspension to the by-laws.

Brillovol writes:

Not much money to him, but at least the new rule has some teeth!

sambosam411 writes:

Not to bypass the poor officiating, but did Slimey Slive not say suspensions are the new rule. Or does that just apply to Kiffin?

10volunteers98 writes:

Ouch!Tazz em,Slive,Tazz em!Wonder if Slive was wearing his Gay-tor cap when he made THAT decision?GO,VOLS!!!

FWBVol writes:

in response to kkempf#226833:

I was thinking the same thing. Meyer makes what, 4 million? Thirty grand is less than one percent of 4 million. I don't think Urbie will be missing any meals because of the fine.

kevin151 writes:

Does that 30k go back into the athletic program??? What scumbags....

allvol32 writes:

The $30,000 fine probably goes straight into the SEC Commissioner's Retirement Fund.

VolunteerLifer writes:

30K might not seem like alot to a guy who makes 4 mil, but consider in his tax bracket he probably has to make 50 to 60 k in order to bring home 30k. And it is thirty thousand dollars. I think its significant.

More significant is the fact that Slive took this action just as it was looking like he would take no action at all against meyer. I think he should also be suspended, but I'll be satisfied with this.

kman29 writes:

in response to sambosam411:

The rule state Fines OR Suspensions. Of course I expect this to not be good enough for most.

GR82BAVOL writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Amen to that Navalorange.

I'm sorry but I just can't get into this whole thing about fines and suspensions. Slive IMHO isn't going after the real problem which is a lack of quality officiating within the nation's greatest football conference. Yeah it's kind of funny that it happened to Urbie, but I think whomever posted that it might set up Kiffin for a suspension is right.

One other take here...has Meyer taken a page from Kiffin's book? Does he now have a little street cred for popping off at the mouth and getting the fine? That's alot of advertising for 30k...of course the Kiffmeister can get it done for free!!!!!!!!

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

I just droped two dollars on the street. Same thing for him (Meyer). Token action. No different that a cheap shot in the NFL being fined.

monsterman writes:

I just don't agree with anyone telling you what you can and can't say. Just one of those free speech issues the country was supposed to be built on.
If a coach, any coach, does not agree with the call, he should have the right to say so. And I am a TN fan, not a Florida fan and yes CLK will probably be suspended the next chance the SEC has to do so. This set precedence to allow this.

skip22 writes:

HA HA

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Oh boy. If Slive put a Meyercam on that guy, he gonna get hisself some more money!

CB4VOLZ writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

Their jealousy for our program is remarkable

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little on that remark.........

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You'll have to excuse me if I don't shed a tear that poor 4M/year Urbie is going to lose $30k. I doubt he'll have any problems making the rent this month.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to allvol32:

Oh boy. I hope that Mike Slive don't have hisself some kind of Abramoff retirement plan.

FireJohnAdams writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Slive's not going to do that, and this is his way of avoiding it. I hope he decides to retire soon.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to sambosam411:

Just to Kiffin. The officiating in the SEC is so bad that folks up here think that Slive would do (or not do) anything to have his undefeated Fl./Al. matchup. The SEC is loosing a lot of respect from fans in other parts of the country because of this.
GO VOLS!!! (and any team playing Bama or Fla)

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

I think Meyer it's all ink, just for show. That Meyer won't actually pay the fine.

BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER writes:

Comish Slive at least backed up his word I give him credit for that but I still think he is licking his chops waiting for CLK's third strike so that he can make an example of him. Lets hope that does not happen. Its all good!! We like livin on the edge!

Brillovol writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

Your jealousy for our board is remarkable.

volgrog#210164 writes:

You can't say the guy is being biased, no matter how you slice this one. It doesn't fix the real problem, though. Officiating this year has been atrocious. Not a new problem, but seemingly worse. A gag order won't fix the real issue.

Hounddog writes:

Good. Now that is behind us...let focus on what the grownups do. Let's play football. Hounddog

auggievol writes:

in response to seventysevenvol:

Kiffin, take notice...please. Slive will by-pass the fine and suspend you next.

agreed, this is nothing more than a setup for a potential Kiffin suspension. Its pretty rediculous that coaches aren't allowed to voice there concerns. If I fail to do my job properly, someone is going to gripe. If officials fail to do their jobs properly, someone needs to gripe. The SEC should be on top of that.

ctownvol writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

OUR jealousy of YOUR program? Yet here YOU are posting on OUR website. That says it all.

atlvolsfan writes:

Who would've thought.... Urban Crier would get fined before CLK? Slive is lurking..... who will be next?

learnron#236127 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Vol. Life,
Why suspend him? I think all coaches should be able to question calls as long as they don"t attack their character. The bottom line is the officiating has been poor this year. The SEC is the best football conference and we should have the best officials.

fnorky writes:

It doesn't really matter how significant $30k feels to Meyer. UF's inevitable appeal will knock it down to the $5k-$10k range and a booster will pick up the tab.

Beamer writes:

It is good to see that UM is not above the rest of the coaches in this matter. He broke the rule, he should be fined. What will be interesting to see is if the next coach says something, will they be fined $30,000 as well?

atlvolsfan writes:

in response to fnorky:

You got that right. Urban Crier ain't picking up the tab on this one. Maybe the athletic dept will receive a "ghost" shipment of equipment with an invoice for $30k.

jumby92 writes:

The really funny part in all of this is that UF will be back to mediocrity after they lose Tebow. I give Oscar Meyer 2-3 years after Tebow is gone before they run him off.

jadarm writes:

Slive is just setting precedent and using Meyer as an example.

In other words, ...these are not "letters that don't mean anything" any longer!

nmbr1vol writes:

any follow-up comments from the urban cryer?

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

I don't like the nitpicking with fines and suspensions and such. BUT, they may be necessary. Given the rabid insanity of fans these days, it may be necessary t prevent coaches from intentionally or unintentionally inciting violence against officials. Take a look at some of the things that happen at soccer games in some countries where fans literally attack officials and worse. People are nuts today more than they ever have been. Imagine what was nitwits like Moral_Victory_U might do if afforded enough anonymous shielding such as an out of control crowd. I mean someone who lives on another team's forum site just to be a rectal cavity can't be expected to be civil in an uncivil situation. So maybe these fines and suspensions do have a positive purpose.

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

Don`t count your chickens before they hatch,dude.Hope Bama crushes your Gay-tors in the SEC Championship game.But,remember this.The 'Big Yellow'nation`s time is coming.You know that.You see it coming.That`s why you and other Gay-tor fans can`t stay off this Vol web sight.You keep up with the happenings in K-Town just as well as a lot of Vol fans do.Keep checking back.You`re gonna see that the 'Big Yellow'nation is plundering Fla.for some of your biggest recruits.They`re gonna help the 'Big Yellow' nation climb to the top.GO,VOLS!!! And,go Bama.Crush the Gay-tors!

kkempf#226833 writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

Troll.

teedub writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

funny. if that's so, then why are you the one posting on our website?

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

Yes, you are right, it won't make him more than wince a bit, but still - 30 grand is 30 grand.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

Kiffin will not get the opportunity to pay a fine. Slime will suspend him. Slime knows he cant let his golden shower boy Suburban Cryer be suspended. Who would coach up the eye gouging drill in practice without Cryer?

Vol86 writes:

Hope this doesn't go on looking like a circus. But of course Slive the ring leader and meyer the clown.

thevoice writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

UF will be paying for this blunder in a heartbeat.

LVVOLJJ writes:

Kiffin's remarks have been well placed and well timed for maximum impact, mostly for his players benefit. He has their back and they have stated many times that they have his. My bet is that he won't be critizing refs. If he gets suspended it would hurt his team. He can't predict a fine or a suspension, so, no way that will be happening.