Crompton fourth nationally in TDs

Tennessee QB bettered Manning's record for best half Saturday

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton (8) during action against Memphis Saturday, Nov 7, 2009 in Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. Tennessee running back Montario Hardesty (2) is blocking.

Photo by Michael Patrick

If you can't remember seeing a better half of football by a Tennessee quarterback than you saw Saturday night, well, you're right.

Jonathan Crompton's 305 passing yards in the first half of a 56-28 win over Memphis were unsurpassed.

The previous UT mark for a half was 285 yards by - naturally - Peyton Manning, in a Citrus Bowl win over Northwestern on Jan. 1, 1997.

What bowl game do you think Tennessee will play in?

See the results »

View previous polls »

"He really missed one throw in the game,'' head coach Lane Kiffin said Sunday night. "Other than that, he played almost perfect.''

Ready for another surprising stat?

After five touchdown passes against Memphis, Crompton has 21 on the season. Only three quarterbacks nationally have more.

Case Keenum of Houston has 28, Kellen Moore of Boise State 27 and Russell Wilson of N.C. State 24.

Crompton is among a handful of quarterbacks with 21. He has done so in 264 pass attempts, compared to 458 for Keenum, 268 for Moore and 293 for Wilson.

Over the past four games, Crompton has thrown 14 TD passes and only two interceptions. That compares to seven TDs and eight interceptions in the first four games.

He is climbing up the pass-efficiency ratings. His mark of 139.75 ranks 35th nationally and fourth in the SEC, a fraction behind third-place Jordan Jefferson of LSU (139.78).

"He has great confidence right now,'' Kiffin said. "After practice Thursday night I was watching the film and it's like he was a JUGS (radar) gun. Wherever he pointed, that's exactly where it went.''

Early Birds: Kiffin welcomes the noon (Eastern) kickoff at Ole Miss, which will be 11 a.m. Central. In two 12:21 p.m. starts, the Vols have outscored Western Kentucky and Georgia by a combined 108-26.

"It's an hour earlier for (Ole Miss) than for us, their time,'' Kiffin said.

"I like it, especially to go on the road to a place that could be very loud. It's always harder for places to get going that early.''

Lathered Up: Kiffin said redshirt freshman Herman Lathers graded well in his first start at middle linebacker.

"He missed a couple of tackles, but he aligned us really well,'' Kiffin said. "He's really, really fast.

"He has all the tools to be a great linebacker. He's just got to put it all together.''

Defensive Toll: Memphis tagged Tennessee's defense for season-highs in points (28) and first downs (27). The previous highs were 26 points and 24 first downs by Auburn.

The 403 yards allowed was the second-most behind Auburn's 459.

Most of Memphis' damage came against reserves after UT had posted a 49-7 lead.

UT's defense slipped three spots to rank 16th nationally, allowing 295.11 yards per game.

Poole Sent Off: Sophomore running back Tauren Poole was sent to the locker room Saturday night after a display of unhappiness on the sideline.

Poole's only action was on special teams.

"I don't expect kids to agree with our decisions on playing time,'' Kiffin said. "I expect them to think they're the best guy at their position.

"But they need to respect those decisions and not let their feelings show.''

Kiffin said there had been no previous problems with Poole, who has seven rushing attempts on the season.

Fumble Streak: Dennis Rogan's turnover on a muffed punt return against Memphis was UT's first lost fumble since the Auburn game.

The Vols have lost only five fumbles: two by defensive backs, two by Crompton and only one by a skill-position offensive player. That was Montario Hardesty on a pass reception in the first quarter of the opening game.

Getting Votes: UT moved up from three votes last week to 12 votes in the new Associated Press Top 25. The Vols were sixth among teams also receiving votes.

Ole Miss Notes: According to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger, Vaught-Hemingway Stadium was "barely" half its capacity for the Rebels' 38-14 win over Northern Arizona on Saturday night. The announced attendance was 38,184. Capacity is 60,580. . . . Although the Rebels are 6-3 they are not yet bowl-eligible. You can only count one win over a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward eligibility. Ole Miss has beaten two FCS teams, Southeastern Louisiana and Northern Arizona. . . . Ole Miss rested all-purpose offensive weapon Dexter McCluster against Northern Arizona. McCluster was used as a decoy several times but didn't touch the ball. McCluster might have been banged up after getting more than 50 combined touches against Arkansas and Auburn the previous two games.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

If there is an award for COURAGE in college football J C deserves it !!! Many QB's over the years have turned seasons around but not many at all have gone through the phooey and pressure he has and performed this well!

ArealVolFan writes:

Vols out scored W.K.U and GA 108-26 in the 12 p.m. time slot....nice math KNS

dowhatsright writes:

"Sophomore running back Tauren Poole was sent to the locker room Saturday night after a display of unhappiness on the sideline."

Does anyone know why Tauren Poole didn't get some snaps as a running back in the second half? In pre-season he seemed to do good. I was surprised he didn't get to play some in the 2nd half.

ddbirdvol writes:

in response to dowhatsright:

This is just a guess...but I think he was in the locker room.

I thought I saw him walk off before the 2nd stringers were put in.

TXTN writes:

Couldn't be happier for JC. Think about this...we all know that the media's darling Tebow will end up first team all-SEC, but if you're picking an all-SEC second team at this point, Crompton has gotta be the QB, right? How amazing is that considering where he was last year? Give Kiffin TONS of credit for standing by him when people started calling for his head after the Auburn game again. Hope he can keep it up in Oxford this weekend! GO VOLS!

truvolsfan82 writes:

wow,its funny how people cuss,and boo him and his parents in the stands,now yall want him back for 1 more year,ive had his back from day 1,and people said i was crazy,its a bunch of phooey what ut fans put him,and his family through,if was him i wouldnt listen,or be nice to any of the fake ut fans,its a college kid,not a pro getting paid,so please like him,or not,stay off the bandwagon.

Laydbakvol writes:

"display of unhappiness". Gotta love it!

newtonrail writes:

in response to ddbirdvol:

This is just a guess...but I think he was in the locker room.

I thought I saw him walk off before the 2nd stringers were put in.

He jogged off with about two minutes left in game. According to this story, he was "sent". Hard to keep 4 Tailbacks happy.

Txvol57 writes:

Hey Strange....the JUGS Gun is not a "radar" gun... its the machine the coaches use to shoot balls to the receivers and kick returners. Just thought I needed to educated you

FWBVol writes:

There is a reason almost every major football program in the country wanted Jonathan Crompton when he came out of high school five years ago.

The kid has always had the talent, but he's been through more offensive coordinators and systems in his five years at UT than Peyton Manning has had in his four years at UT and his entire career with the Colts combined.

Kiffin's system is not only a NFL type offense, but one that is quarterback friendly. The NFL scouts won't have to guess how well Crompton's skill sets translate into the pro game next year. I won't be surprised if Crompton is drafted in the third or fourth round next spring. And, with a good combine, he could be the surprise QB in the draft.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Sure looks like coach is not even trying to keep him..."happy."

mytrifecta writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

Sure looks like coach is not even trying to keep him..."happy."

maybe not. But after seeing what Kiffin has done with Crompton, I'm no longer questioning his personnel decisions. Poole is a talented kid and would get playing time in most SEC programs...just not ours.

west_tn_volfan writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

Sure looks like coach is not even trying to keep him..."happy."

Its the players job to keep the coach happy, not the other way around.Playing time has to be earned with this staff. As far as Crompton, I was so wrong about him. I didn't think he would ever be a good Qb but I seriously underestimated his talent and the staff's ability to get him playing up to his potential.

DragonSlayer123 writes:

When Kiffin was first hired, a lot of people were upset that he "talked" so much. And then he went and proved everyone wrong by walking the walk.

When Crompton wasnt putting up the numbers and it looked like he was performing poorly on his own, people wanted Stephens in the game and questioned Kiffin's assertion that it is not the QB's fault. Then he went out and got great games out of Crompton.

People said Kiffin had no experience, and that even though the coaching staff he put together may have experience, Kiffin is still calling the game and he will not be able to do a good job. Kiffin has shown a tremendous capacity to not only call games and adjust on the fly, but coaching up our players to perform at extremely high levels, and consequently putting us in a winning position even against the best teams in the nation.

Its time we stopped questioning Lane Kiffin's abilities and/or expertise, and accept that we have one heck of a head coach who is eventually going to take our program to the absolute top.

I am a believer. One hundred percent.

Go Vols!

wags32 writes:

If i was poole i would transfer!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

I am glad we are on the right track. I am also Mr. positive. But we have had two seasons ruined because our quarterback couldn't "deal" with being benched in favor of Eric Ainge. We had to wait until now to get results, and the only explanation was what.......He didn't have his head on straight? Ridiculous. I blame his parents in part. They contributed to raising a prima donna and and we got caught holding the bag.
I feel a little guilty because we are on the right track, but we lost a lot of games because of our QB's bad attitude....It doesn't sit right with me. I hope I'm wrong...I just feel frustrated about this.....

ResilientVol writes:

Yeah I'm new here but I've been reading on here for a while now. But thats besides the point... I completely agree with Shaverschoice. After the UCLA game i still had plenty of confidence in Crompton but towards the midway point in the season i had almost no faith left, except for the fact that he was our best. But i have never been happier to be proven dead wrong

Go Vols!

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

Well guess what, you are wrong. You want a QB that is okay with being benched? Especially after a year where Ainge was terrible? JC has always had a great attitude. You say we got stuck holding his baggage, but we were the ones who recruited him and we were the ones who screwed up and brought in clawson and ruined that offense. Give him credit he has overcome a lot. You need to sit back and enjoy the ride, and appreciate what JC has done so far. Prima Donna? The Prima Donnas are the UT fans that sent him death threats. I don't care if he has never completed a pass, he never deserved that. So sit down, shut up, quit complaining.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

WTH are you talking about? JC never complained about anything to anyone. He stuck it out and endured everything that he could. When he played bad he practiced and came back out the next week to try again. Poole, Warren, Jones, and Nuke are the only ones who have been vocal about being unhappy. Warren is gone, Nuke seemed frustrated at himself, Jones is playing like he should have, Poole is the only one that seems to be having an issue now.
Where do you get two years? JC was bad last year and has been getting better every game this year. We are 5-4, played 2 number one ranked teams(both are undefeated), Auburn was playing great, and UCLA was a learning curve. This is not a bad year. You sir, may want to watch some games and read statements. When people called for Crompton's head this year he rose to the challenge. Just what the hail are you talking about?!?!

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

Clawsen , is that you ? stfu and go back to bowling green and leave the coaching to kiffin and company.You came here and helped fulmer finish screwing the program up.
oh I also blame your parents for raising an idiot.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

oh I also blame your parents for raising an idiot.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. JC has never complained. He's been a stand up kid and big orange through and through. With what he's been through it's amazing he didn't complain, but, he didn't. I'm really shocked that you would even post this kind of garbage. Do you randomly spew slander often, or is this a new gig for you? TY JC for having the character to stick this tough ride out. Even if you hadn't turned a corner this year, i'd still be damn proud that you're a volunteer based on your character and commitment to the big orange.
GO VOLS

AllVol1 writes:

There is obviously more to the story regarding Poole not playing 2nd half. I think it is very well-handled by Kiffin not to speak about the details and humiliate those team members who struggle. He has kept that up with Jackson and now with Poole. The guy is clearly a good athlete, but there is something we do not know about. I trust this coaching staff based on what I have seen so far. I am glad that Morley was given a clear signal and then let go. I am glad that Brandon Warren was let go. I am a born and raised Chattanoogan and McCallie grad who is glad that Coleman and his attitude are gone. I am glad that Poole is not seeing playing time until he shows this staff that he is fully ready for it. I really hopw he and Toney ARE back next year, but I trust these coaches if they are not. Things are turning around and it takes some longer than others to buy in. Personally, I would buy stock in the Vols right now, empty piggy. Go Vols!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Like I said, I would love to be wrong, and if I am wrong, all the better. But this knee jerk reaction to defend Crompton is absurd. I never said he complained. I said he acted like a prima donna. If he did the best he could and was a trooper throughout, I stand corrected. But if he is the product of a little league dad, I would also like to know that. We don't need that mentality in the program. If he is truly a good kid and just had adjustment problems, then I'm glad he made it. And I will be very happy for him. Being a good person is half the battle, and I wish him the best......

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

You are a complete FOOL. You make no sense and are an idiot. Please shut the He!! up and go to bed. Right now, no one on this sight likes you because you are stupid! S__K it dumbarse!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Hey pumpkin.....Tap on the brakes.....Try to get informed and realize that just because you have a computer doesn't mean you need to be abrasive.....Like I said, and now for the third time....If Crompton just had adjustment problems, then so be it......I hope that is the case......But to be happy with the way the last two years have gone is putting your head in the sand, even though it's pretty obvious yours was already there.....

lakeviewrvpark#1352123 writes:

Jonathan Crompton is an inspiration for never give up.

crimsonviper writes:

I think JC will play on Sundays.
Never thought I would see that.
Best turn around at QB i have seen.
Props to CLK for sure.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

If that's true, then we all win.....

crimsonviper writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

si habla espanol?

rocky_topper writes:

where were all you jon crompton supporters at the first of the season?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Man, just stay on track at Ole Mess. Plenty of time left to slurp koolade.

Screw this one up and the Ga and SC victories will seem somewhat even more surprising.

Let's go down there and bring it, Orange!

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

I like being abrasive to STUPID people.......guess what, your STUPID!!! Blaming Crompton's parents shows me just how "Informed" you really are. Yes, I know the last 2 years, especially last year, was bad. This year we are in the process of turning the corner and it still may take another year or so. Who knows what the QB situation will be like next year. Are you going to blame Stephen's parents or Bray's parents? You probably will because you are STUPID!

82cat writes:

in response to Txvol57:

you are incorrect there is definetly a jugs radar gun

google it and you can find their website and where to buy them.

As for Poole I heard Kiffin several weeks ago say

Theres one football we have one of the best tbs in the nation and the one of the best freshman tb also. Poole hasn't done anything wrong he said but Kiffin prefers a 2 tb rotation.

I believe if Poole stays he will be in the mix next year Brown- Poole--- but he will have to beat out Oku and Mitchell(injured but looked great prior to injury)

Its a new day the best players play period

cltvol writes:

Good for Crompton. I hate that the knuckheads gave him that nickname. No way should someone mess with a college kid's name - that's a family attack. Crompton is a poster child for what Kiffin can do with a QB. I'm starting to think that USC's swoon maybe attributed to CLK's departure, like UT when Cutcliffe left the first time.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

It had nothing to do with his attitude, it has to do with learning a new system every year. If JC had a bad attitude he would have left UT his sophmore year.
This is a bad take hc!!!

DownTheField writes:

Mr. Crompton, for the record: i've been eating crow for a few games now... tastes great!

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to 82cat:

you are incorrect there is definetly a jugs radar gun

google it and you can find their website and where to buy them.

As for Poole I heard Kiffin several weeks ago say

Its a new day the best players play period

I believe you mean (Toney) Williams, not Mitchell.

ethanfrome writes:

I would take out the, "(radar)" in this quote. A Juggs machine is a machine that throws balls; it is not a radar gun.

SIMSVOL writes:

We will definitely miss Jonathan next season. QB will be a major issue. Stephens isn't the answer - and hoping Bray can put on some pounds quickly. Perhaps the fans will believe in the choices of Coach Kiffin moving forward.

vol88 writes:

Crompton (and Kiffin it seems) put egg on the faces of thousands of Vol fans, including me. I don't mind a little yolk dripping on my shoes if that's what it takes! GBO, and go JC!

Txvol57 writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

Are you serious??...Please tell me your not that stupid!! Fact is that Fulmer never could develop anyone...we all know that (except you apparently) When you sit the bench for 3 years you kinda lose the feel of the game....when you have 4 different OC's and 4 different offenses, with all new plays, routs, timing patterens and terminology you will not have much success! Fact is that Crompton has finally gotten some REAL coaching and we are seeing the results. We lost a a lot of games because of Fulmer's lack of player development, poor game management and not competing against everybody else in recruiting. Crompton never had a bad attitude...but I see you do. Dont post anymore you make everyone sick!

tennesseebee writes:

in response to Fossilfiction:

Well said, Fossil. Not only has Crompton patiently waited for his chance, he has been a tireless recruiter when we had visitors. I am so glad he is having success. I was really looking forward to him starting after Ainge left. He won me over in his first significant playing time at LSU when he took off running and squared off with an LSU linebacker. I knew right then that this kid was tough! Good for you, Jonathan!!

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to Txvol57:

You are dead on govols57.....hcjournal really is "THAT STUPID". Anyone who gets on here and blames the kid's parents.......Is "THAT STUPID". I have read some crazy things but hcjournal, you are the biggest FOOL that has ever posted. Just as govols57 writes, dont ever post anymore because you make everyone sick. I am asking that you dont ever post here because no one likes you because you are STUPID!!! What a STUPID horses arse you are.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

CLK is showing the football recruiting world what life will be like when they come to Rocky Top! By JC's results, there is no way we should not sign a PRIME TIME QB. If I was a senior in High School, I would be lickin' my chops to play in this offense! Go Vols and Go CLK!

TommyJack writes:

Props to JC. Let's not forget that the improvement in WR play in also a big factor. Moore, Hancock, Jones, et al don't look like the same guys. (I know, injuries were part of it) All have obviously been upcoached.

VOLume27 writes:

in response to Txvol57:

Hey govols57, the "JUGS Gun" is the original, old timey name for what is known now as the radar gun. Tony Kubek, for example, used to refer to the "JUGS Gun" on NBC Saturday Baseball Game of the Week.

Obviously, Kiffin is using old, old school terminology here. Cool, and Strange kept the old school reference in the quote.

"Just thought I needed to educated you"

CrankE writes:

Crompton has been doubted, maligned, trashed, benched, encouraged, maligned again, and is currently playing some of the best football of his life.

Kiffin demonstrated fidelity and commitment to Crompton by keeping him on the field. Thus, he required Crompton to stand and deliver in kind (rather than take the easy way out and sit on the bench). And what a delivery!!

For his determination and endurance Crompton deserves a cheer of seismic proportions when he takes his final run through the T. If I can remove my foot from my mouth, I'll be on my feet and shouting. I believe.

Docrok writes:

in response to DaMan:

These are still Fulmer's players so if you say they won't get drafted you are knocking Fulmer! In 3 years you can judge Lane Kiffin on gettin kids in the NFL from UT! Not until then based on your own statements! But to rebuke some of those statements, first of all SC is further up the SEC chain than they have been since joining the SEC! GA is about the same team they have always been as they are never really able to play up to their potential! Last season we were 5 and 7 and 3 and 5 in the SEC! You defend Fulmer with your statements and attempt to insult Kiffin with the same statements! Doesnt work, well not for normal reasoning people! Fulmer is gone!! He is not coming back!! Not as a coach or an athletic director! He is gone! Kiffin is the coach and probably will remain so until he decides to leave!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

Crompton’s turnaround will be worth SO MUCH in recruiting that it’s almost unfair. If he gets drafted in the NFL... you won’t even be able to put a price tag on that! Way to go CLK… keep him focused and keep the victories coming... it will pay HUGE dividends!

chargervol writes:

in response to DaMan:

I really hate trying to talk some sense into your numbskull, but, here it goes. Crompton leads the SEC in TD passes. Every QB in the SEC has played inferior teams, soooooooo, their QB's had the same opportunities to pad their stats like Crompton. The basic difference is they couldn't do it. At 5-4, with a chance to go 9-4(with a bowl win) would exceed most sensible peoples expectations. I predicted 8-5 before the season. We'll see how that works out. By the way, they still could end up 5-3 in the SEC, toughest conference in the nation. If, this happens, it would go down as one of the best coaching jobs, period! I think, with the ties to the NFL that Monte has, and Lane for that matter, the NFL scouts will get their intake as to which players are draftable. So, I do agree, that there are going to be a number of players drafted that would have been afterthoughts. As, for your remark on the other post you said that Fulmer will be in the College Hall of Fame. I agree. You, also stated, that the only way Kiffin gets in is to buy a ticket. The only way that is true is if he takes another NFL coaching position. If he stays at Tennessee for a long period of time, he will surely be accepted by the Hall. Go back and review your previous posts, then go back and view my previous posts, and see who has been right the most. Not you! Anywho, GO VOLS!!! P.S. GIVE 'EM HELL, WITCHIE!