Dixon likes his visit to UT

Safety Ahmad Dixon still considers himself committed to Baylor but was clearly impressed by his visit to Tennessee this past weekend.

“It was amazing,” said the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder from Midway High School in Waco, Texas. “I can’t really explain how great it was. It was a great visit. I got to meet a lot of good guys, good coaches. Just a great visit.”

Dixon is an interesting prospect for a number of reasons. First, he’s committed to Baylor but has recently shown interest in other schools, including UT. Second, his final three schools could be Baylor, UT and Alabama, which sets up a showdown between two SEC rivals.

And lastly, he’s good — real good. Dixon is widely considered one of the top prospects in the nation.

Dixon probably couldn’t help but envisioning himself in UT’s defensive backfield on Saturday in its game against Memphis. After starting seven consecutive games for UT, freshman Janzen Jackson was suspended. That opened the door for redshirt freshman Prentiss Waggner and true freshman Darren Myles Jr.

As if prospects needed more proof, coach Lane Kiffin reminded them with his Saturday lineup that he’s not afraid to play young players.

“It’s a real big factor,” Dixon said of Kiffin’s willingness to play freshmen.

Dixon said he’ll finalize his college decision after he takes an official visit to Alabama later this month. Auburn and Oklahoma State also have made a push.

Dixon’s next commitment could be his third. He committed to Texas in February after a visit to Austin and committed to Baylor in May.

“I still do,” Dixon said when asked if he considers himself a commitment to Baylor.

Quarterback’s Call: The Vols apparently haven’t yet offered a scholarship to Matt Simms from El Camino Community College in Torrance, Calif. That, however, could be a matter of time.

If UT does offer Simms as expected, he would likely commit, according to a source close to his commitment.

UT’s interest in Simms could hinge on the future of Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis. The Fighting Irish have two quarterback commitments, Andrew Hendrix from Cincinnati and Tommy Rees from Lake Forest, Ill., whom UT showed strong interest in. If Weis is fired, the Vols could be in play with one or both commitments.

Weis is under intense scrutiny after losing to Navy in South Bend this past weekend. Notre Dame is 6-3 and plays at Pittsburgh on Saturday, followed by a home game against Connecticut and a road game at Stanford.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

chrisw2967 writes:

The 2 QBs thats at ND will not fit in Urbies Off. next year.
But this coaching staff is amazing and these recruits will start taking more notice as the year goes on and some will change their commitment to get on the Lane train.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Lots of possibilities out there for us. I'm excited for NSD again!

GO VOLS!

MemphisVol1485 writes:

Reel em in CLK. I totally forgot about the two qb's that committed to ND. Sorry Charlie, you're going to be unemployed next year.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

We'll take 'em...all of 'em.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

Weis is all but gone. They will get beat by Pitt and could get beat by both Conn. and Stanford. He loses two of those and he's gone and one might do the trick. I think they will hold off on Simms for a while longer. Still a long way to signing day and I don't think he is the answer for the next couple of years. I think at least one of the top high school QB's will become available before all is said and done. Scholarships are too valuable to use on someone who will probably never see the playing field.

OrangePride writes:

Notre Dame could easily go 2-2 or 1-3 in those last 4 games. They should beat Pitt, but the other 3 will be tough W's. CW is on VERY shakey ground out there! That said, I am not very high on Simms, myself. We already have Lamiason from a JUCO and having two of those isn't appealing. I would rather have a blue chip true freshman that we can develop our way. We are not out of the running on a good number of these "committed" QB's. Trust me, they are watching Tennessee and they have to be liking both the program direction and the coaching philosophy. Kiff and staff are going to get a good QB class yet! GO VOLS!

TommyJack writes:

in response to OrangePride:

"...should beat Pitt...? Why would you say that, O.P.? Pitt in Top 10 in AP.

bigorange61 writes:

My gut feeling is this guy will stay in Texas. Hope I'm wrong.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

ND's loss to Navy was every Gator troll's worst nightmare. Too bad CLK won't get another shot at Meyer in Knoxville next year.
BTW, was anyone else as impressed as I was with the tackling of frosh UT DB Darren Myles, Jr?? He was bringing it in the open field and not allowing any yards after contact.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

in response to OrangePride:

How many points are you willing to lay in Pitt game? N D will only be favored vs UConn - and not by much.

amstelman writes:

I have a problem with any degree of our success being tied to the failure of ND, or any school for that matter. UT can now stand on its merits.

After this magical emergence of JC, how can any quality QB not consider this staff, this atmosphere, as their next step?

straightshooter writes:

I suspect the kid will not venture too far from home for college. He initially committed to Texas, then changed to Baylor so if the trend continues........ Still plenty of big fish in the pond to catch.

cumberlandVOL writes:

What's wrong with tyler bray? he's a guy that's flown under the radar until this summer when he started beating out all the top prospects at the camps. he's a tall kid with great accuracy- the same attributes of a young peyton manning. he might not have the leadership and brains peyton did, but who does? plus he is very excited to be coming to UT! we won't have to beg him to pleeeeaaaase come play for us. I'd rather have a four star that loves UT than a five star that is just using knoxville as a springboard to the NFL.

BigErn writes:

in response to amstelman:

Well spoken my friend.

eldr5#344719 writes:

Nothing at all wrong with Bray. Just about anyone who watches recruiting is very high on him. It would just be nice to bring in another blue chip QB prospect to compete with Tyler. That would help each guy get better and would be nice if our starter got injured.

chad_t31 writes:

Speaking of ND and waaaaaay of subject but if anyone remembers (W_D maybe), how in the hell did we not get golden Tate? Did we jump on him late or was he dead set on going to ND?

golfballs03 writes:

Go Navy!

GO VOLS!!!!

chad_t31 writes:

Off* subject

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to notoriousBIGorange:

Why does everyone say Meyer will go to ND, just to frazzle DC and gatorzz (AKA many other names)? He was offered the ND job once and turned it down to take the FLA job because it was easier to win a NC.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I am not so keen on another JC qb, since we have Lamaison. I think we should go after another hs elite player like Scroggins.

tngivem6 writes:

in response to chad_t31:

I remember following Golden Tate's recruitment..he wasn't toobig on UT. We did offer, but ND won out.

MTSUVOL writes:

in response to notoriousBIGorange:

He wasn't number 3 was he? I thought number 3 looked awful slow and lost. Anyone know who number 3 was?

EHScyclone writes:

I agree with cumberland vol...What`s wrong with Tyler Bray ?? Seems as though all the posters wants someone who passed on us to begin with...I would much rather have a kid who chose us and wants to be vol than someone who chose another team and now wants to be a vol just because his coach may be gone....Tyler Bray will come in and the coaches will coach him up and he will be an All-American..

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to bigorange61:

My gut feeling is this guy will stay in Texas. Hope I'm wrong.

Coach Garza is from Texas. And we have Coach Monte Kiffin.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to cumberlandVOL:

Nothing is wrong with Bray...he's undefeated this year...threw 5 TD passes last Friday...kid is a winner. But we need some depth at QB...you have to remember Kiffin and his staff wants a stable of talent at skill positions...QB, WR, RB, etc. Just like U.S.C. has under Pete Carroll. Someone goes down you replace that player with one almost as good if not as good as the injured one.

And with the N.F.L. experience on this staff kids are going to use Tennessee as a place to be prepared for the N.F.L. But that really is actually a great thing for us dude!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

Tyler Bray will be good....raw material for this staff to mold into another Peyton Manning. But if there is a kid out there with more skill and talent then Tyler Bray that this staff can beg and convince to come here (which is really how elite talent is pursued)...becomes our starter and beats Florida and Bama....you'll forget we had to beg him to come here and be greatful we did.

vol_chaz writes:

If we go undefeated in November, like we should, we can expect a great run into signing day. Keep em coming boys..

Slystone writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

ND is closely looking at Brian Kelly out of Cincy.

allvol32 writes:

Tyler Bray is in my opinion among the very best of HS QB prospects and he has been commited to UT for several months after many prima donna QB prospects (Scroggins being the worst...) played footsie with TN then turned tail and ran.

If we need a backup QB then let's sign one but Bray wants to be here and he's tearing up the stats this year while splitting time with a QB who is a spread type guy.

I know that you can't put all your eggs in one basket but I'd do nothing that might tend to drive Bray away.

mtvols writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

We need another QB on the roster. Stephens is our only other QB for next year. I'm not counting Lamison because all that I have heard is that he is nothing more than a practice player.

Voluvr writes:

If he wants to play on a repeat national champion team and for the best defensive mind in the game, then, go pro, he will commit to Tennessee.

Alabama peaked last year and blew it. They got lucky against Tennessee this year. Looking at both teams. One, the #1 team in the country, the other rebuilding and not ranked. The unranked team, Tennessee, holds them to 0 TD's on their home field and we score on their defense. What would that tell you about what ship to get on? This is a no brainer.

Got to had dat.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

When will we get an update on Jeff Luc or some of the other top recruits we are after?

chargervol writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

I just hope the Vols can hold his commitment until he has signed. Go look at his videos. He is not raw, he is just a little lean. He has been very well coached. His mechanics are great. He has a pretty strong arm that will get stronger. Tebow has the worst QB mechanics in football. I am not trying to poke at gator fans, its just the truth. Tebow starts with the ball below his waist on just about every pass. Tyler never drops the ball below his chest and has a quick release. The offensive line has kept Crompton upright as well as any QB in the country. If that trend continues, Bray could play as a freshman. GO VOLS!!!

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

Tyler Bray Season Totals:

Comp:122 ATT:210 Yds:2309 Y/G:256.6 Comp%:.581 TD:29 INT:5 Long:67 QB Rating:126

Not too bad I say!

CarthageVol writes:

I would love to see Urban gone, but after we wipe that smug look off his face. But surely when he looks at the whole picture, there is no way he can win it all at ND. If i was Foley, I wouldn't compete against ND for him. After Tebow leaves, the glory days are gone with us on the rise and the unlikeliness of a second coming of Superman. Let him go. FL will always have as much or more talent as we'll have. They just need to find another coach. Let ND spend their way into money pit.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

2 reasons...first because Meyer himself said that ND has always been his "dream job" and second because he loses his entire starting defense along with boy toy Tebow.
Meyer has nowhere to go but down after this season if he stays at UF. He can leave while he's near the top and ride into South Bend as a savior, not to mention the big contract he would receive.
And another reason is of course because...He FEARS THE KIFFIN!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Is this Dixon a lock to change his mind and commit to UT??? Kiffin has a way working his magic and get these recruits!!!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to MTSUVOL:

Myles Jr (why the Jr on his jersey?) is no. 3. I can't agree or disagree with you on him being slow and/or lost but he sure can tackle.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Get after this kid Coach Orgeron!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I'm sure the coach will fix whatever issues that Myles, Jr. has.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to Slystone:

ND is closely looking at Brian Kelly out of Cincy.

This has been my thought all along. Brian Kelly will be the #1 target for Notre Dame. He is hot at the right time. Everyone was predicting a 1 loss season or better for Notre Dame and I am not sure anything other than 4 straight convincing wins will save Weiss.

If you are Brian Kelly, now is that time to cash in on your success at Cincinnati. Plus Urban is a bit arrogant. I think he needs to prove he can win post Tebow. And, I still think Bama will clip them in Atlanta. He will have something to play for.

But, Holy Cow, can you imagine how aggressively Kiffin would go after Gator commits IF Meyer left?

Still ain't gonna happen. Meyer is staying.

GahLee writes:

Dixon will be a Vol, you can book that.

Unfortunately it appears that Simms will be too, I'm reserving hope on this one, this kid is a punk, no way I would want him being a cancer on my team.

NobodyCares (Inactive) writes:

in response to amstelman:

Excellent post.

NobodyCares (Inactive) writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

lil' Urbie turned down ND because his family preferred Florida.

Koppie writes:

He's going to Auburn along with his buddies Reed and Seashrunk.

Southland writes:

Most Texas kids stay in Texas but good grief Baylor???? that doesnt make any sense. Meyers isnt going to Notre Dame Why would he? all the talent he needs is for the picking right were he is. Notre Dame is down and staying down-I love it and hope it stays that way for a long long time. Maybe big boy should take his super bowl rings off. He must not have had much to do with those wins either cause he sure cant coach. Tuberville to Loiusville. Coach Fulmer to Western Kentucky and I hope Weiss stays at Notre Dame. They deserve each other. We do need the QBs from Notre Dame. Why would they go there? Isnt Jimmy going to be working on his fourth heisman and his fourth national championship. At least that's what the little arrogant jerk said he would do.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

If ND makes a change....UC's Brian Kelly will be there.

tennezz writes:

in response to mtvols:

He is much better than a practice GB, He threw for 3500 yards and 39 touchdowns last year in JC which is a step above high school. Kiffin says he is improving every day. Have faith, If he was nothing more than a practice QB these coaches would not have signed him!

jclvol writes:

in response to MVuniv:

Trust me, I want nothing more than for UM to stay. Over the last 5 years, Meyer has been the best. I want to beat the best. It wouldn't be near as fun to play another Ron Zook.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

What does Bama getting a "5-star DB" have to do with what UT needs? Don't get me wrong I'll take all the recruits that Kiffin and Co. can get, but Bama signing a recruit means nothing to this staff.

Besides after last years class I think DBs rank right with RBs on UT's need list. Give us some stud OLs, DLs, LBs, WRs, 2 QBs and we are loaded!

BTW, UT appears to have the DL and WR spots covered. Can't wait until Feb. 5th! The future is looking outstanding!

GO VOLS!