Jackson learns from mistake

Tennessee safety Janzen Jackson said he wasn't allowed to discuss the specifics of his suspension last week, but hinted there could be an advantage from some time off.

"It's going to be nice getting back. I had a week off to rest my legs," the freshman said in his first public comments since being suspended for the Memphis game last Saturday. "I kind of missed the guys watching them out there on TV and stuff. I'll be happy to be back this week."

Jackson was suspended for "administrative reasons", according to head coach Lane Kiffin.

"It kind of felt like being injured and watching your team play," Jackson said.

Jackson last missed playing time as a senior in high school when he was injured. Upon further inspection, this absence was a bit different.

"To know that it was my fault, it felt a little bit worse," he said. "It's in the past now so it's back to work.

Jackson said missing playing time had an impact.

"It was a problem that had lingered in the past so we had already got past it," he said. "We just had to hit this bump in the road."

Jackson said he appreciated that UT's coaching staff was willing to forgive him of his recent transgression.

"I appreciate that a lot," he said. "You don't want to have your coach mad at you for any reason. You don't want that to linger. It's always about looking forward with these guys. That's a good thing."

For guidance, Jackson said he spoke to his father, Lance Guidry, who coaches defensive backs at Miami (Ohio).

"He just told me to keep my head up," Jackson said. "Look forward and it will be past sooner than I think. And it already is."

Practice Report: Kiffin was pleased with Wednesday's practice.

"There was great energy today," he said. "Better than yesterday. Yesterday just seemed to be O.K."

Kiffin also was pleased that UT is mostly healthy. He said defensive lineman Marlon Walls (ankle) is 100 percent.

Darren Myles Jr. was an exception. The freshman reserve safety didn't practice much with an undisclosed ailment.

Offensive guard Jacques McClendon was slowed by a sore foot that was injured against Memphis.

"But he'll be able to go," Kiffin said, referring to the Ole Miss game this Saturday.

If not, Kiffin said Jarrod Shaw or Cody Pope would step in.

Kiffin said placekicker Daniel Lincoln (quadriceps) kicked well Tuesday but his status for Saturday is uncertain.

"I have no idea," Kiffin said. "I just play it week to week and wait till Saturday to see. We would have thought by now (Lincoln would be healthy). Every time he starts to come back, it starts to bother him a little bit."

Battle On: Kiffin said right guards Vladimir Richard and Cory Sullins graded out about the same against Memphis.

"That position is still open throughout this week," Kiffin said.

Richard said he is healthy after overcoming knee and Achilles tendon issues this season.

"At this point I want to get on the field so whatever has to be done with me, that's what we have to do," Richard said. "As soon as I get out there and get my chance I'm going out there and giving it my all."

Lott of Awards: Safety Eric Berry was named the Ronnie Lott Trophy national player of the week for the second time this season. The junior had an interception, a fumble recovery and five tackles in UT's 56-28 win over Memphis. Berry honored earlier this season for his performance in UT's loss against Florida.

Berry also was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the Lott Award, which is presented to the nation's top defensive player.

Snead Synopsis: Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead came into the season as one of the most highly touted players in the SEC. At times, he's looked that good, yet inconsistency has plagued his game.

Snead ranks 73rd in the nation in passing efficiency. Kiffin said Snead's strong arm and ability to throw downfield has his attention.

"He's so dangerous," Kiffin said.

Snead, however, is completing only 51.9 percent of his passes.

"I'm shocked his completion percentage is as low as it is," Kiffin said. "When you watch the film, it doesn't feel like that."

Defensive tackle Dan Williams said the key to disrupting Snead is to rattle him.

"We're going to try to do our best to rattle him and try to take him out of his game because once he's in his zone, it will be hard for us to beat him," Williams said.

Williams has been plenty impressed with Snead's athleticism, even though he's widely considered more of a pocket passer. Snead must be athletic, Williams asserted, because Texas recruited him and the Longhorns run the option.

"He had to have a little speed for them to recruit him," Williams said.

Snead transferred from Texas in 2007 after losing the quarterback battle to Colt McCoy.

Scouting Report: Kiffin said Ole Miss' defensive front is very similar to Alabama's.

"They're so big and physical up front," Kiffin said of the Rebels. "And they're so deep. It's just one after another. Imagine, (defensive end Greg) Hardy doesn't start. That guy's a first-round (NFL) pick. I can't even imagine having that much depth like that."

Hardy has battled ankle and foot injuries this year but is widely thought of as one of the most talented ends in the SEC.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FWBVol writes:

Chris Lowe is reporting on ESPN.com that Hardy will have surgery on his wrist and as of now is out for the year. Hardy's absence should hurt the Ole Miss defense.

SWAVol writes:

Keep your head up JJ but keep it on straight, these are a new breed of coaches they will cut you if needed. Love to see these guys finish strong and get to a New Years Day bowl. Go Vols!

bigorange101582 writes:

I know there are rumors going around but I am glad Kiffin did not release the specifics of Jackson's suspension. I don't think it has been as big of a distraction as it would have been if all the details were discussed. I do hope he has learned his lesson and will grow from this experience. GBO

pope10 writes:

Im glad the team is beginning to have disciplin with this new staff. You can see it on and off the field.

pope10 writes:

*discipline

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Coach, you will have that kind of depth and more in 2 more years. good things are on the way.

Volin68 writes:

Well, everybody makes a bonehead decision at least once. The question is what will JJ do with his second chance. Hate to see that much talent slip away for nothing.

CrankE writes:

JJ, you've got tremendous talent and skill. I want to see you for 3 more years knocking opponents heads off (figuratively). Please keep your own head screwed on (literally)!

Snead and Crompton; Two ships passing in opposite directions.

Go Vols!
Crush Johnnie Reb.

bamahater writes:

in response to supersmo18:

that's too funny

gohawks1 writes:

Good attitude, JJ. Learn from it, grow, and move on. Knock the bejeevers out of somebody Saturday.

Joevolsxtra writes:

I heard that he got into some hot water along with Nuke...

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

From today's news, he must not have learned much. Bye bye JJ.

BallBreaker writes:

Well it looks like Kiffens boys messed up. Word has it 2 got arrested for burglary.

vol88 writes:

in response to BallBreaker:

Radio says Jackson and Richardson got arrested. Say it ain't so!

rocky_topper writes:

it is so. already reported on WVLT. Kiffin better step up and dismiss these two! We don't need thugs representing our university and bringing down our team!

armyvol22 writes:

Just heard this S___ H___ was involved in an armed robbery. He and the others should be gone as gone back where they came from. Stupid S_it's

vol88 writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

If it is true, I don't think we'll have to worry whether Kiff will do the right thing or not.

BallBreaker writes:

in response to vol88:

Radio says Jackson and Richardson got arrested. Say it ain't so!

Yep it's so. I got it from my son who is with the KCSD.
Kiffin needs to immediately suspend both. If they are proven guilty then dismiss them from the team.

volfreak#210492 writes:

WVLT and others are confirming it. Guess the lesson wasn't learned... Unreal!!!!!

vol88 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

unreal

rocky_topper writes:

in response to vol88:

I agree. Kiffin has not disappointed me so far! He'll do the right thing!

Kiffin_fan writes:

I guess we have 2 more schollys open now. What a shame!!!

orangenwhitefan writes:

Aggravated robbery using a small semi-automatic handgun. Jackson and Richardson not only threw away their football career, but their freedom as well. They traded in their orange for stripes.

vol88 writes:

I can't wait for the trolls to finish their 8 a.m. feeding and log on here. I'm out boys... Hold down the fort :-)

gvegasvol writes:

My, my - lets here from you Fulmer bashers now. What about all this??? New attitude? New day? Nonsense will not be tolerated?

appalachianvol writes:

You folks should remember that these are young men. First time away from home and having to make their own decisions. Guidence is what is needed!
Anyone with kids knows this. Life is a learning experence. They will learn from this and not make the same mistake what ever it was. Ease up!
GBO

rocky_topper writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

okay, i'll go! let's see if the "6 strikes and you're out" rule will pertain to them!

bhorton#213253 writes:

anyone confirm the rumor about Janzen and Nuke?

username writes:

Three schollys. Apparently Mike Edwards was involved as well.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to bhorton#213253:

anyone confirm the rumor about Janzen and Nuke?

It is confirmed on WVLT!

appalachianvol writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

I serously doubt that accusation is correct. Neither would be playing football at UT at this time if so. I don't believe what I read and only half what I hear so to speak. Time will tell.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

These freakin' boneheads don't know what it's like out here in the real world. I was laid off from my job in July, looking right now for pretty much ANYTHING, not even a McDonalds is hiring right now! They have a full-ride scholarship to train to for the NFL with a group of coaches who can teach them everything they need to know to make millions.... and they blow it robbing someone of a few bucks!?!?!? Kick them OFF the team! This isn't the Florida Gators!

Atuss writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

GBO

If what is reported is true these guys are in for a lot of trouble. Stealing is one thing, but you throw a gun into the mix and the severity of this goes way up.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

Dude???

KSargent writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

GBO

They do make mistakes ..... but they had a gun

Why does a 19 yr old college football player need a gun? Is it the first time being caught ....or first time?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

... or not.

Orangebrewbasher writes:

Unfreakingbelievable!!

kevin151 writes:

Good thing we stole these criminals before signing day.... I'm done with this program

kevin151 writes:

in response to vol88:

Suspend? It's called jail time my friend

appalachianvol writes:

I live in Fl so I don't hear the local news. If these kids did this they will be ex football players for ever. It would be a shame and a waste. Life is nothing but choices. I hope they didn't do this.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

Quoting a Marvin Gaye song to defend armed robbery is just wrong.

orangenwhitefan writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

GBO

I remember when i moved away from home i was constantly fighting the urge to get a firearm and take something that wasnt mine. I think it was the pressure of having to learn how to work the washer and dryer that weighed on me most. I thank God everyday that i didnt give in like these two young men did. Its a tough world out there for sure.

Homermoosevols writes:

In Dayton, OH and it is already news here. WHAT ARE THESE KIDS THINKING? Janzen you just got out of trouble and now this. WHAT THE BLOODY HELL! Nu'keese if you were homesick before you are sure as heck going to be homesick now.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

I know Nukeese came from a poor situation, don't know about Janzen though. I sincerely hope neither of them are bailed out, if they believe they are man enough to tote a gun around and rob people, I say leave them in jail and come get them after the season is over.

gatorbaitheaven writes:

Upsetting news no matter what team they play for, was the third person a member of the team also? I am so happy right now Newkeys choose Tenn. I could just imagine this if he was at Fla. I wont be throwing any stones, glass houses folks. Sad how some kids have the world by the tail and throw it away sad.

appalachianvol writes:

in response to KSargent:

They do make mistakes ..... but they had a gun

You're right Sarge. No need for this type of non-sense. This is a hard one to accept. If a kid is smart enought to pass the SAT examin, how can they be this dumb?
I still haven't heard the news down here. I expect to read all about it though. We are not very popular down here in fl.
I guess scholarship wasn't enough.

HartfordCTvol writes:

Urban Meyer would probably suspend them for half a game

xvolx writes:

Time off for good behavior, maybe.

arkyvol writes:

so jackson thinks he got an advantage from last weeks time off. good. cause he's about to have a lot more time off. like the rest of his life.

VolFanNC writes:

I hope this turns out to be wrong...unbelievable that they would be that stupid.....