Janzen Jackson's talent may be wasted

Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin is contemplating Janzen Jackson's future at Tennessee. Last week, Kiffin was asked to contemplate Jackson's talent.

More precisely, the question was, "Have you ever been around a better safety as a true freshman?"

"No," Tennessee's first-year coach said a week before Jackson and two other freshmen - Nu'Keese Richardson and Mike Edwards - were charged with attempted armed robbery.

Kiffin said Thursday that Jackson had been released from jail and there would be no further comment until UT and the police have completed their investigation.

A week ago Kiffin discussed the two best safeties he's been around. Both played at Southern California where he coached from 2001-06.

Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers redshirted as a freshman, languishing as a reserve linebacker before Pete Carroll was hired and moved him to safety.

Then Taylor Mays came to USC. Kiffin said Mays, now an All-American, was "really good" as a freshman.

"But he wasn't this good that early," Kiffin said, referring to Jackson. "He's phenomenal."

Now Jackson's career is in serious jeopardy and Kiffin isn't the only one concerned.

Lance Guidry, a long-time defensive backs coach now at Miami, Ohio, said he started teaching Jackson, his son, at age three.

"He was drilling since he was little," Guidry said last week.

When he heard the news Thursday, Guidry told The News Sentinel in a text message that he was too shook up and declined to comment.

It was likely a culmination. Jackson had just returned to the team after his suspension for last week's game against Memphis for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Before that, Jackson was riding high, having drawn comparisons to All-America safety Eric Berry by UT's coaches. In some ways, UT's coaches said, Jackson had more ability than Berry.

"For them to put him in the same category," Guidry said, "that's pretty steep."

Coaches liked Jackson's overall athleticism and ability to quickly change directions.

Much of that athleticism is still untapped. UT's staff has protected Jackson in pass coverage - for the time being.

"It's kind of hard for people to match up with him," Kiffin said. "Even if they did, I don't think they could expose him."

Jackson proved as much in practice. Kiffin said he would regularly cover UT's best receivers.

Defensive backs coach Willie Mack Garza is the man challenged with refining Jackson's game.

"His instincts are very good," Garza said last week. "Sometimes as a coach you say 'Dang, you can't do that.' Most of the time he's at the right place at the right time."

Those instincts came from playing for his father at Carencro High School in Louisiana. Guidry watched his son grow from a freshman with average speed to one of the fastest players on the team by the time he was a sophomore.

For two seasons, coach and son ran Carencro's secondary. Then, just before Jackson's senior year, Guidry left for McNeese State and Jackson transferred to Barbe High in Lake Charles, La.

There was an opportunity for the two to reunite in Knoxville. But instead of pushing for a package deal, Guidry pulled his name from consideration as UT's defensive backs coach before interviewing with Kiffin.

"He needed to grow," Guidry said. "He doesn't need to be coached by me. He needs to be coached by someone else."

That someone else was UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

"The thing that put everything together was playing with Monte Kiffin," said UT assistant coach Ed Orgeron, who recruited Jackson. "There is no doubt. That was the deciding factor for Jackson. He wants to be a coach after he finished playing football."

Orgeron, then the coach at Ole Miss, was the first to offer a scholarship to Jackson, when he was just a sophomore. He remained a priority when Orgeron was hired by UT.

"When I was hired and I was able to call recruits, Janzen Jackson was the first guy at called," Orgeron said. "(He's) smart. He's a coach's son."

Jackson was regarded as one of UT's prized recruits when he signed in February, a fact that made Thursday's robbery reports that much harder to handle for UT fans.

Also, Jackson lived up to the billing, especially when it comes to hitting. He had a handful of solid licks against South Carolina on Oct. 31 in his most recent game as a Vol.

"I like to hear the crowd go 'Oooh.' That's one of my favorite things to hear." Jackson said last week. "I like to have interceptions too but hard hits are one of my favorites."

The hard hits take their toll on the tackler as well as the tackled.

"A lot of times I take brutal punishment but you've just got to keep going," Jackson said.

Whether Jackson will "keep going" for the Vols is a decision Kiffin will soon make.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SWAVol writes:

If you somehow escape these charges and end up still on the team you need to look to Eric Berry to see how to handle yourself. Young man you have a million dollar body but seem to have a 5 cent head. If you are suspended the week before then what makes you think being out at 2 am three days later is the right thing to do. I hope the coaches and your dad get into your a**.

ddbirdvol writes:

Sad really

eb502us#225637 writes:

The light bulb may have come on on the field, but off it, he's looking to add his name next to the likes of Banks, Coker etc.... Another wasted talent. Sad Sad Sad

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

Eric Berry said this kid was better than he was when he was a freshman. That statement alone should be enough to keep his dumbarse out of trouble and realize that he was going to have Millions coming his way soon. He may go down as one of the best and dumbest players to ever wear a UT uniform, but only for a short time.

FWBVol writes:

If Jackson's biggest crime, as it now appears might be the case, was hanging out with the wrong teammates and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, he still needs to be held accountable for those decisions.

If it does in fact turn out that he is innocent of the crime he should still be suspended the rest of the year including the bowl game and be made to do some sort of community service.

Lane Kiffin needs to send an emphatic message that nobody is bigger than the team.

deakinbi writes:

GUNS ON CAMPUS!? WHERE"S THE AD?, CLK? and THE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT?! I don't care if he is the next Ronnie Lott or Deon Sanders, and I feel horrible for his father...however he was involved in ARMED ROBBERY>>>with a GUN...that could have KILLED one of our children>>>maybe he was too nervous to pull the trigger, but what if he had accidently.

No excuse will be acceptable for any of these guys! and no excuse will be acceptable for head coach, the AD and the University President to act slowly! It has already been too long. Get them off campus, they have little regard for fellow students safety and well-being...Do you recall VT and NIU?!

utvol2485 writes:

I'm hoping and praying Janzen gets cleared of all charges and has the opportunity to get back on the field for the Vols. He can be great, but I'm not so sure the odds of him coming back are very good at the moment. If nothing else, I hope he realizes how much talent he has, how quickly it can all be pissed away, and how much he as to lose by hanging out with a bunch of knuckleheads.

Walk the line, son. Stay on the straight and narrow.

mytrifecta writes:

The good news is no one can say Kiffin isn't running a clean program. These kids are so destitute they're holding up homeless people for spare change.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to SWAVol:

Well put. If his name is "cleared" - as in the charges are dropped - I think they should let him stay, but he should be suspended for the rest of the season. I don't see how the other two can stay if the allegations are true which seems to be all but certain given what we know at this time.

txsvol#372416 writes:

I won't completely discount that one of the three may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. After all, there WERE only two (ski masks). And, if I have to pick one, based on both performance and potential, it would be Jackson! But, with the drug usage and this incident, CLK may need to suspend him for the rest of the season, and let him work his way back onto the team in Spring Practice. SAVol

mytrifecta writes:

in response to deakinbi:

If what is alleged is true...I completely agree with you. However, they're still innocent until proven guilty. It doesn't make sense for Kiffin or the University to make a move until they have the facts.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

I am tentatively holding out hope that the facts will show that the extent of JJ's involvement in this mindboggling STUPID fiasco was limited to his idiot decision to hang out with Richardson, Edwards, and Montmarquet. If so, he should be suspended for the remainder of the year (including postseason play) and be reminded on a daily basis by the coaching staff that his future with the team will be determined by a daily review of his academics, attitude, and adherence to a STRICT 9pm curfew.

As for Richardson, Edwards, and Montmarquet: all three need to be removed from the University of TN campus as soon as possible. Regardless of their motives, they are no more than thugs and, by their actions, have revoked their privilege of attending the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I don't hold any naive assumptions that every UT student is a lily-white angel, but the types of crimes these three engaged in are utterly reprehensible and should be dealt with swiftly and completely.

And if the facts bear out that Jackson knew what was going on and either quietly went along or was a co-conspirator...then his @ss should be tossed out with the rest of the trash.

That said, I still have faith in Coach Kiffin. This is no more than a "few bad apples" type situation and should not be read by every sports pundit as a breakdown of discipline...but it will.

voluntitan23 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

In no way and I condoning this behavoir or actions but, you do realize it was a pellet gun.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

I agree with the first three comments, and I grieve with all three of them. Janzen has Super Star Potential,,and he had a Super Star Opportunity! He put his own stupid needs to defy authority over a lifetime of sucsess. He put a fantastic UT and NFL Career ahead of a silly decision. (I can't even spell, I am so angry at these great young men).

I blame part of this on UT Policies, UT needs to become a zero tolerence school. You do anything wrong, you are gone!

I hope that UT keeps Janzen, and I hope they never let him on the field again. I hope that the Kiffin's will make Janzen a spokesman for not screwing up.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to deakinbi:

I'm not trying to make an excuse, but police are reporting that the "gun" used in the robbery was a pellet gun. That doesn't diminish the nature of the crime or the threat of injury, but I wouldn't compare this incident with NIU or VT. No doubt, every one of the criminals involved is a despicable person, but this wasn't ever going to be the type of horrific mass killings that occurred at VT or NIU. I'm all for riding these idiots out on a rail, but lets not get overboard and start comparing this incident with an actual massacre.

deakinbi writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

OK, send them home while the gathering the facts...It was an ARMED Robbery, with a GUN, that could have KILLED one of our children. I would expect the University President to send ANY student home in this circumstance. Ball players should NOT be treated with any special treatment...and certainly not when involved in a LIFE THREATENING behavior! GET THEM OFF CAMPUS

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

here's my scale on punishment...

If Jackson's role was in breaking up the attempt and leading the teammates back to the dorm, he was doing a right thing in a wrong situation, he should miss the Ole Miss game, and maybe a half against Vanderbilt. That would be the minimum "best case scenario" response.

If he was not involved in the robbery, but didn't do much to stop it, I think he should be suspended for the season, and be placed on eggshells for a nice long time.

If he was uninvolved with the robbery, but had ANYTHING to do with the drugs being in the car, I think he should be kicked off put on final alert that the next stupid thing he gets involved in will be his last.

If he so much as had knowledge that the robbery would happen, or anything more than that, I think he should be gone.

Personally, I have a hard time believing he had much to do with what happened. The Pilot on the corner of campus is not a hotspot for people carrying loads of cash. It is a good spot to stop and go to the bathroom, or get something to drink... and if those other three bums got into mischief... I could see that, especially if it was taking Janzen a while to get out. I think it is just a little too early to make the call on Janzen...

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

here's my scale on punishment...

fixing scenario 3.... he shouldn't be kicked off, but put on final alert.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

Yes it does!!! It very much makes sense to deal with this very harshly! Janzen should have never been out at 0200, in a car with a dope carrying gal, and teamates that were DUMB enougfh to try an armned robberey of a couple of broke rednecks!

UNDERSTAND, they are lucky to be alive! I am married to a retired Military Redneck that lawfully carries a firearm at all times. I have no doubt he would have pulled out the Colt Gold Cup 45 ACP he carries all the time and blown the gun holder away! And probably then beat the livin chit out of the other one!

RockinTop writes:

in response to voluntitan23:

Doesn't matter, the law looks at intent.

Pull a pellet gun on a police officer and see what happens to you.

utvol2485 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

"maybe he was too nervous to pull the trigger, but what if he had accidently."

I'm not so sure he ever had possession of the gun.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

The kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The truth will come out he was the one who said they needed to get out of there, he needs to sit a few more games and get his priorities straight, though. Nu'Keese get ur butt back to Florida you bum.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

Have you read any of the stories or watched any of the coverage? An air powered pellet gun can only deliver a minor flesh wound. Even at point blank the kid would have been popping a bb out of his forehead like a pimple. NO ONE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED with that BB GUN! Also, this particular article is about Janzen Jackson who did not have said bb gun, did not approach or ask the victims for anything, and may not have even known what was going on at all. I am in no way making excuses or condoning what has happened. Even if Jackson's name is cleared, I still think he should be suspended for the rest of the season. However, I can't believe you would even try to tie this to the instances at VT and NIU. The people who committed those crimes were psychopathic social rejects who snapped and left the house with the intent to kill as many people as possible. These were some stupid brazen kids with no money, no common sense, and a bb gun.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

in response to deakinbi:

Take a chill pill, it was a pellet gun, my six year old has a pellet gun, and I can tell u if you accidentally pull the trigger no one dies, it stings but no one dies.

deakinbi writes:

Sorry guys, I just can't justify the behavior of the players.

A group of guys with even a toy gun would have had the same potential for a terrible ending. What if the one of the guys they attempted to rob was licensed to carry a weapon and decided to defend himself? or the clerk saw what was going on and decided to pull the gun from below the counter to protect himself and the guys being held at gun point, or that a UT cop was driving by and took them out on the spot?

And while the comparison to VT and NIU may be shocking...it is none the less students pulling guns on other students. ABSOLUTELY Unacceptable and Inexcusable.

I'd be happy to find that JJ had just found himself in a bad situation that was no fault of his own, except that it was 2 am. If that is the case then CLK and the AD should say so immediately, otherwise get him, and the others, off campus until they can.

utvol2485 writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

He shouldn't have been out at 2 a.m. with a girl carrying drugs (that he may or may not have known about) and 2 other idiots with a bb gun (that he may or may not have known about). Now, with all that being said he absolutely deserves a chance for the coaches, administration, D.A., and cops to at least look at the evidence.

If UT kicks JJ out of school and the court finds him innocent, then UT could be hit with an ungodly lawsuit...I would think.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

can you not read? it was a pellet gun, relax. in the mindset of the 2 that actually perpetrated this, they were trying to scare the victims with intent of taking their money. It's pretty obvious they didn't intend to kill anyone. these four are kids who made a stupid decision. yes it was thuggish and reprehensible, but they clearly weren't out to kill someone. do you by chance star on "days of our lives", or "young and the restless?"..if not you should.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to RockinTop:

Doesn't matter, the law looks at intent.

Pull a pellet gun on a police officer and see what happens to you.

exactly!! The individual who pulled the pellet gun would be dead! Instantly dead! The PO wouild not sit down, evaluate the firearm and then decide it was a pellet gun. (and pellet guns do kill sometimes, but can really put one helleva hurt on a person,, to include death.

One thing that needs to be brought out is,,Did the CO2 pistol have a CO2 cartridge in it, and did it have a pellet in the chamber.

mahabrando writes:

in response to SWAVol:

Agreed!

TommyJack writes:

Who owns the pellet gun?

RockyTopVols writes:

Obviously a pellet gun isn't as serious as a real gun, but didn't we stop recruiting a player for shooting someone with one a year or two ago?

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to utvol2485:

It did happen at Penn State.

However, Janzen was out after Curfew, He had been suspended the week before for a positive drug test. At a very small, minimum this is his third strike.

I want Janzen on the field for the next three years, but he made a very p[oor decision!!!

whatcanbrowndoforyou writes:

Young man if your name is cleared of charges and Kiffin is merciful enough to allow you to remain a Tennessee Vol I would suggest you 1. Set down and get your priorities straight rededicating yourself to your goals and the life you need/want to lead. 2. Reconsider the company you keep, you now know from experience that bad company can get you in a world of trouble. If your looking for a new best friend it has already been said but Eric Berry would make a darn good one. 3. Live your life one day at a time focus on the task at hand becoming a better person every day and rebuilding your reputation. Whether you ever play for the Vols again or not I wish this young man the best in everything he does, and pray that he can get his life back on track.

thaclaw writes:

THIS IS A GREAT ARTCILE, ALL THE WAY TO THE END----AWESOME INSIDE LOOK!!!

utvol2485 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

Sorry guys, I just can't justify the behavior of the players.

"And while the comparison to VT and NIU may be shocking...it is none the less students pulling guns on other students."

It was never established that Cory Zickefoose, Corey Smith, or Benjamin Everett are students at UT.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

are you serious..a pellet gun, unless it has a co2 cartridge the size of the space shuttle boosters behind it..isn't gonna penetrate a skull. it may put out an eye..but i think that's about as serious as it's gonna get. i really can't believe it would matter if there was a pellet in the "chamber". yes there are scenarios that could have got the toy gun holder in a world of hurt i.e pulling it on a cop, or if one of the kids they were trying to rob had an actual gun, but don't take the given scenario out of context. they were trying to work someone over for money with a fake gun according to the "preliminary" details. don't forget we do not have all the facts as of yet. i'm glad coach has the reserve to sort everything out before dropping the hammer like some of you are already doing.

Txvol57 writes:

in response to deakinbi:

Chill stop being so dramatic..it was a pellet gun

dowhatsright writes:

in response to IBleedOrange444:

If he isn't guilty, why should he be suspended? How is that fair? Guilty is guilty, but innocent is innocent. What if he only rode with teammates to the convenience market and had no idea what they were going to do? It would be like you or me riding to work with co-workers and on the way the stop and try to hold someone up. If we didn't know they were going to do it, should we be punished? As for them having drugs, the same logic is true. If they had drugs in their pocket or glove box, how would he know? Let's urge fairness, not because he's a good football player, but because it's the right thing to do.

BasketVoller writes:

in response to RockinTop:

Doesn't matter, the law looks at intent.

Pull a pellet gun on a police officer and see what happens to you.

It does matter because he wasn't talking about any legal matters. He was commenting on how incredibly stupid all these people look saying the guy with the pellet gun could have/intended to kill someone.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to BasketVoller:

exactly and thank you. good grief some of you people are being rediculous. you can what if and spew scenario after scenario all you want to make this look like more than what it is . it doesn't change the facts as we know them SO FAR. two of these kids took a pellet gun and tried to scare people out of money. they didn't pull the pellet gun on a cop. yes this could have ended very badly if one of the victims had a gun and decided to use it. yes the two that actually perpetrated the crime should be kicked off the team if found guilty. don't make this more than what it is with all of your "what if's"

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to ozoney#235138:

Yep,,I am serious.

I have not jumped to anything. Using a firearm really is the thing that will get some of these players Prison Time.

However if there was not a projectil available, and if the weapon had no CO2 Cartridge, and the "robbers" knew that, it takes away the aggravated charge. Damn sure takes away from intent to do bodily harm

BasketVoller writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

Yep,,I am serious.

well i'm pretty damn sure if there was intent to do bodily harm..they would have brought more than a pellet gun...this is priceless. i don't think espn could rival this sensationalism, i guess we'll see.

BasketVoller writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

Yep,,I am serious.

Seriously, stop talking about things you don't know anything about like it is a fact. They displayed the pellet gun in a way that the victims were lead to believe it was a deadly weapon so it is aggravated robbery.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to BasketVoller:

I simply trying to express a thought. Please change the Huibby reference to an, "off duty COp"

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to dowhatsright:

Because he had just been disciplined and was already on thin ice. In his case, I don't really think "innocent is innocent". Just being there was stupid. If they all left Gibbs together and he knew one of those idiots was taking the bb gun with them he should have made him leave it behind or refused to go with them. If he was suspended last week for failing a drug test as has been speculated, he shouldn't have been hanging around with a bunch of people that smoke weed who would be tempting him to keep smoking. If he did see what was going on and decided to get back in the car with them instead of staying behind or running off into the night by himself, he made a mistake. I'm all for being fair, but I'm not naive. What he and all these guys need to learn is that life is all about the choices you make, and he probably had plenty of opportunities throughout the night to make a choice that could have kept himself out of trouble. For that he should be disciplined even if he is found to be innocent of the crime as it appears he will since he was released without bail.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to ozoney#235138:

EXACTLY!

BasketVoller writes:

in response to LadyVolsEighTimes:

Your thought wasn't well thought out or worth expressing. Please change a reference in your earlier post where you imply without doubt that your Redneck Military hubby would "blow" Nukeese away. Besides, "I simply trying to express a thought" too.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to IBleedOrange444:

a lot of people are speculating that if JJ is cleared he'll still be suspended for the rest of the reg season and bowl game because of the factors that you mentioned, and i agree with them. i completely agree with your take on the situation as well. given CLK's record on discipline thus far JJ really has no excuse to be in this situation, mitigating circumstances or not, given he already has a strike. i sincerely hope he is cleared, and hope the best for edwards and nuke even if found guilty, pray they learn from this and move on in the right direction.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to BasketVoller:

No, I never said the Redneck Hubby would have done anything. I simply stated that they were fortunate to not have tried robbing someone that had a weapon.

But, However,, whatever.