Kiffin sought out Archie Manning before taking UT job

Lane Kiffin sought advice about Tennessee’s football program from former Ole Miss quarterback Archie Manning before becoming the Vols' head coach.

“I knew he knew a lot about the job and the school,” Kiffin said. “I just wanted to get his thoughts and feelings on what needed to happen here to make Tennessee able to make a run at a bunch of championships.”

Manning’s son, quarterback Peyton Manning, starred at UT from 1994 to 1997. The elder Manning said he was more than willing to help Kiffin.

“There wasn’t any doubt when I saw the staff that Lane was putting together (they’d be successful),” Archie Manning said this week on the News Sentinel’s radio show, The Sports Page. “I know a little something about what it takes at Tennessee.

“It’s a little different as far as recruiting. I can remember when Peyton went there. That freshman class he went with, there wasn’t many kids from Tennessee in that class.”

Manning also offered his thoughts on UT assistant head coach Ed Orgeron’s tenure at Ole Miss, which lasted from 2005 to 2007.

“It’s pretty obvious when you look at what (Ole Miss) did last year, he recruited most of those kids so he did a good job recruiting,” Manning said. “Unfortunately we just couldn’t win any games (when Orgeron was coach). Maybe we were close. I don’t know. But we just weren’t beating anybody.”

Not Second Citizens: Despite a lackluster showing against Memphis, Kiffin said he has no choice but to play UT’s defensive reserves.

“We have to play them because we’d all feel sick if (safety) Eric Berry or (defensive end) Chris Walker gets hurt in a game like that when we’re up by that many points,” Kiffin said.

Incidentally, playing those players sends a message to prospects considering UT.

“They saw guys go in and said ‘Boy, they do need a lot of help.’ ” Kiffin said.

Kiffin reminded prospects - not so subtly - that the Vols will be replacing several contributors after the season.

“We’re not losing a bunch of high draft picks necessarily but we’re losing a bunch of guys that are very productive,” Kiffin said. “There’s a great opportunity to come here and play right away.”

Vlad’s View: Offensive guard Vladimir Richard seemed as if he had heard enough about Ole Miss’ highly touted defensive line.

“I feel like they haven’t seen an offensive line like us,” the senior said. “So we just have to come out and play our physical style of play.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Can't wait till Saturday. I hope it's on AFN. GBO!!!

hglover40#234154 writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Hey Bama -

Our Offense had 341 totals yards against Fat A zz and your D.
I believe your offense only had about 250 yards.
We were 1 healthy FG kicker away from the W - be real you were lucky to win. Probably you were not smart enough to be scared when we lined up to ruin your shot at the national title. Ole Nick seemed worried!
He was smart enough to be worried. He's a great coach with lots of experience - more experience than Lane, but Kiffin was smart enough to hire the best staff in the country. And great recruiters too. Did you see us take your O-line recruit this week!!

Run your mouth while you can - we're coming for you!!!!!!!!!!!

PdxVol writes:

in response to hglover40#234154:

Hey Bama -

Our Offense had 341 totals yards against Fat A zz and your D.
I believe your offense only had about 250 yards.

Run your mouth while you can - we're coming for you!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Sand_Eater_6 writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Can't wait till Saturday. I hope it's on AFN. GBO!!!

It is; check out AFN's schedule.

I end up with zero sleep on Saturday nights because I stay up to watch these games.

BuckFama writes:

Germany_Vol, Sand_Eater_6 ...

... Thank you guys, and all of our veterans now serving here or on other shores. And thanks to all of those who have served in the past.We owe you a great debt.

Buck

SmokeyHound writes:

in response to hglover40#234154:

Hey Bama -

Our Offense had 341 totals yards against Fat A zz and your D.
I believe your offense only had about 250 yards.

Run your mouth while you can - we're coming for you!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah an ingram had less then 100 yds

swump36 writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Can't wait till Saturday. I hope it's on AFN. GBO!!!

CBS has been streaming all their games on the web. not sure about sat. but the fla game and bama was on there

The1 writes:

Wish my name was Vladimir.

nbt44 writes:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - Two UT football players are now facing charges of armed robbery.

A member of the UT Sports Information Department confirmed to us that Nu'Keese Richardson and Janzen Jackson were arrested about 2:00 o'clock Thursday morning.

The incident happened at the Pilot convenience store on Cumberland Avenue.

Police say the men were armed with a small semi automatic handgun and robbed a person in the parking lot.

Police arrested them a few minutes later.

Again, UT football players Nu'Keese Richardson and Janzen Jackson are under arrest in connection with an early morning armed robbery.

sitinhere writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Stats from http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foot...

I almost puked when I saw that color on my computer screen.

UT.........UA

NET YARDS PASSING............. 265 ... 120
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 21-37-1 ... 18-29-0
Average Per Attempt......... 7.2 ... 4.1
Average Per Completion...... 12.6 ... 6.7
Passing Touchdowns.......... 1 ... 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 339 ... 256

I don't see the numbers where the alleged #1 team in the nation overpowered us. I wished I could live in a world where the Refs made sure my team won, where my total lack of achievement would be rewarded and my stupidity was garnered as true intelect but I refuse to move to Alabama.

Remember, your only offensive weapon was a healthy kicker.

What I hate most about Nick Satan going to Tuskalooser is the re-emergence of bama fans. Since they s*cked for the better part of 15 years, they pretty much went away and we didn't hear from them anymore. I can't wait for CLK to get in more players and start beating bama so bama fans will go away again.

Remember if you ain't cheating, you ain't Bama.

pbnichols writes:

in response to sitinhere:

Stats from http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foot...

I almost puked when I saw that color on my computer screen.

UT.........UA

NET YARDS PASSING............. 265 ... 120
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 21-37-1 ... 18-29-0
Average Per Attempt......... 7.2 ... 4.1
Average Per Completion...... 12.6 ... 6.7
Passing Touchdowns.......... 1 ... 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 339 ... 256

Remember, your only offensive weapon was a healthy kicker.

Remember if you ain't cheating, you ain't Bama.

LOL.....so true!

don4654 writes:

in response to KatManDewVol:

Fishing trip...armed robbery.I'll take fishing trip.You can have armed robbery.

jship writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Can't wait till Saturday. I hope it's on AFN. GBO!!!

When I was stationed in Korea, I purchased the ESPN Gameplan package for the internet. You will get virtually every Big Orange game with that. It will probably cost you around 15.00 per week since the season package is no longer available.

orangeinbama writes:

in response to KatManDewVol:

Books to sell? I was shocked to find out how much crayons and coloring books sold for.....

dowhatsright writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Isn't there a Bama site for you to hang out on, or does it bore you? Did they kick you off or do you just like to trash talk?