Jackson, Edwards ask forgiveness at FCA meeting

Two of Tennessee’s troubled freshman football players received moral support Thursday night in an emotional Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting.

Mike Edwards and Janzen Jackson, who were arrested for attempted armed robbery early Thursday morning, apologized, asked forgiveness and rededicated their lives, according to Josh Davis, a walk-on freshman punter who is active in FCA.

“It’s one of the most incredible things I’ve ever experienced,’’ Davis said Friday night. “They made their peace with God.’’

The third player arrested, Nu’Keese Richardson, was still in jail at the time of the meeting.

Davis said UT athletes, led by chaplain Roger Woods, regularly meet on Thursday night in the Neyland-Thompson football complex.

Davis said several players had received text messages from Edwards expressing interest in the meeting and that the freshman defensive back walked in on his own.

Some time later, Davis said himself, Chris Walker, Anthony Anderson and Bryce Brown went to Jackson’s dorm room and encouraged him to come.

Jackson then joined the meeting, which was attended by about 20 football players and a number of other athletes, Davis said.

“What happened (the robbery attempt), that’s over and done with,’’ Davis said, “and they definitely have our support.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GerryOP writes:

Wow! PTL!

higgman55 writes:

Too late for rededication!

Liberal_Vol writes:

Maybe they mean it - I hope they do. Maybe there is a God listening - I hope there is.

Now, they don't play again for UT.

kman29 writes:

oh please! Give me a break! What, after you realize your meal ticket might be gone by threatening the lives of two people so you can attempt to get a few bucks, you find Jesus? Yeah sorry, don't buy it. The only forgiveness these two clowns are looking for is the one that allows them to keep playing football.

old_number1 writes:

in response to Liberal_Vol:

Now, they don't play again for UT.

Oh, I tried to rob the guy. But I didn't mean it.
So can I play football now? What IDIOTS!!!!!!!

Liberal_Vol writes:

By the way, Josh Davis, it ain't done and over with. It ain't gonna' ever be done and over with.

What you do in life ain't ever done and over with. Learning that is what becoming a man is all about son.

croweman writes:

in response to higgman55:

Too late for rededication!

It's never too late...

FEARinSEC writes:

Nuke and Edwards should be gone, IMHO... I think JJ, if he was trying to get the other 2 to leave that bs they were trying to pull, should but put on probation and put on suspension indefinately. If he can prove he's changed, then so be it, he can win his spot back in spring camp. If he hasn't learned anything, it won't matter as he will be gone, no more chances!

GO VOLS!!

jmorri30 writes:

The timing seems interesting but the Lord works in mysterious ways. For their sakes, I hope it is for real and I hope they don't revert once consequences are handed down. I wish them well in their walk.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Good thing the Lord is more forgiving than some of you fools. UT athletes or not, I hope they get their act together and live productive lives.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to croweman:

It's never too late...

Amen!

lowman4vols writes:

their career's at tennessee may be done. only God knows. but their walk with Christ is a lot more important.

oyamlauxes writes:

Please don't be so quick to judge. Whether you like to acknowledge this or not they are still 18 year old kids. It is the first time in their life they've been on their own. Obviously they didn't quite understand the hell storm that would ensue after an incident like this. Give them a chance please and quit judging, nobody here knows who these guys truly are.

ethanfrome writes:

I smell crapp.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to ethanfrome:

I smell crapp.

CHeck your pants....

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

CHeck your pants....

Haha!

Liberal_Vol writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

GO VOLS!!

FEAR I understand what you are saying but ....

Chris Lowe is reporting Jackson failed a drug test and was suspended last week!

This week Jackson says he messed up and has learned from mistake!

Just a day or two later Jackson hangs out with two guys that commit armed robbery and a girl with drugs on her!

If Lowe is correct, Jackson has gotta go! Heck, I believe he has to go anyway just to send a message to the team.

gizmo2009 writes:

It is never too late to rededicate your life to GOD. While it appears that at least Richadson and Edwards are guiltyof a crime, it also appears tha Jackson may not. Before everyone is ready to run these three out of Tennessee, why not at least wait until this plays out. Much more important than their football careers are their lives and future. People who are attacking them are not helping. I hope they are sincere. If they are, God will forgive them and give them another chance, that is the least the rest of us can do.

west_tn_volfan writes:

I hope they do get their lives together and God will forgive them if they are sincere, but faith in God does not relieve any of us from the earthly consequences of our actions. I wish them the very best at the next school they attend.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to old_number1:

Oh, I tried to rob the guy. But I didn't mean it.
So can I play football now? What IDIOTS!!!!!!!

Typical of Christians. Makes me sad. No one ever measures up. I don't know if they mean it, but it at least takes some effort to do this. As any Christian says, it's easy not to follow the Lord, it's much more difficult to stand for him in the presence of others.

I think you and others need to be a little less judgmental.

Liberal_Vol writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

If Edwards is so innocent, as you suggest, why is he standing there while NuKeese holds a gun? How do you know Nukeese is holding the gun?

Maybe NuKeese's parents cannot raise the money for his bail.

orangekoolaid2 writes:

All 3 should go! I also question why 2 were in their dorm rooms after this issue. If I had a kid up there, I would be raising hell over their safety. I would bet the University has not thought thru this one.
Also: To all other UT Football player thugs. Please hold up someone other than 3 local guys who are couisins of each other, 2 times removed.
The national news is having a party over this one and twice in the last 2 hours I have heard "Tn. trailer trash" I burns my butt.

GerryOP writes:

in response to kman29:

It's not for you to judge Jackson's and Edwards' commitment ... He will judge. But feel free to keep posting your mindless drivel on here.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

That's well stated and very true. Their ultimate contrition will be known only to God and none of us.

Voluvr writes:

For a lot of people it takes hitting rock bottom to realize that God gives you every breath and that they need Him.

They still have to answer to the law of the land.

govols1234567 writes:

in response to higgman55:

Too late for rededication!

Not to God...

GerryOP writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

Amen...

swordandshield27#325334 writes:

in response to higgman55:

Too late for rededication!

It's never too late until you are in the ground.

waterfowlin writes:

in response to portlandTENNESSEEfan:

vols444, uou obviously just don't get it.

RJ_Vol writes:

The Lord calls for mercy and grace...and it should be given freely. While we should forgive these young men, it does not mean that we have to allow them to play football at the University of Tennessee. This may be a case where tough love is needed. Personally, I feel they should be kicked off the team. It may be what is best for everyone. Those kinds of mistakes are cancer to a team. And while I have the utmost respect for their spiritual decisions, sometimes tough calls have to be made. In this case, it may (if the facts are true) be time to let these three go.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to Liberal_Vol:

FEAR I understand what you are saying but ....

Chris Lowe is reporting Jackson failed a drug test and was suspended last week!

This week Jackson says he messed up and has learned from mistake!

Liberal, what you don't understand is that we do not know the entire story of what all transpired that night... If you seriously think that these 4 were out all night looking to rob somebody at gun point, then your not very bright (no offense). This was a young minded, impulse, stupid move on, at least 3 of them. One for having drugs in the car (lord knows I've never did that when I was younger ;-), 2 for thinking they could pull this bs off... From what I hear one was in the store and when he came out, saw what was going on, tried to get the two dumbazzez to leave, and here we are now. How do you know they all weren't in the dorm all night and JJ needed to run to the store and the rest decided to tag along?

How does Chris Lowe KNOW it was a failed drug test? Kiff never released that info to my knowledge?

My point is, we need all the facts. And until we get all the facts, it's hard to make a fair and balanced decision.

From what I see from the facts so far, I think JJ should be punished for being out past curfew, and that's it!

GO VOLS!!!

57TexasVol writes:

How many time have I heard this. I committed arm robbery, but now I found God. I cheated on my wife, but now I found faith and walk with the Lord. I stole $$$$ from my company and wrecked other peoples lives but I am at peace casue I found God. How many times have we all HEARD this hypocracy. If they mean it. Why advertise it. Why annouce it. Actions mean more than words. I hope they figure it out before it is too late and they screw up their lives or someones elses.

running_dog writes:

All we can do here is speculate on what happened based on what has been reported, which is not the whole story. I don't think punishment should be given out until all of the facts are in.

The fact these two voluntarily went to an FCA meeting is a step in the right direction and I sure hope they they take this very seriously and rededicate their lives. As for Richardson, the fact that he has not been bailed out by family and still sits in prison tells me that his family thinks this is what is needed for him to make a change.

Sitting in prison while your teammates play football in Saturday, may be a very powerful lesson for this young man. Just a thought.

caverunner writes:

"There is none righteous, no not one." "For ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God." "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." GO VOLS!!!

CarlChilders writes:

A song has been bouncing through my head all day and the line that keeps coming to mind is "That great filling station holdup (w/ pellet gun) cost me two good years." Buffett 1971.

57TexasVol writes:

in response to kdt0725#208656:

It doesn't matter if it was freaking banna in their pocket. It was ARMED robbery, period!
And it's Uzi.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to kdt0725#208656:

I think you meant AK-47, the Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947.

I think SpecialKman should know all about them...

GerryOP writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

"...now come price." Well said.

dvols writes:

no guys...forgive us....this story gets funnier by the minute....

CRFVols writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I agree. It's never too late to rededicate your life. We all make mistakes.....some worse than others. We're all one bad decision away from jail time.

It's a great thing that they made their peace with God. The mental anguish they are going through right now has to be rough, but they deserve what they get.

Time to pay the piper. Albeit away from our football team, I hope they learn and become great citizens and people.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

what a bunch of suckers here who are buying in to the fake prayer meeting repentence as they try to win support from you gullible ones in an effort to be spared the consequences----probably wont be attending any after they are booted------convicts always find Jesus when they go in death row

RockinTop writes:

in response to IBleedOrange444:

You might be surprised what you might learn if you ACTUALLY READ what the Bible says:

Matthew 5:22 ..... and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.

Kind of like "rededicating your lives" you won't find that ANYWHERE in Scripture and it's rampant in American Christianity, It is man-made believism garbage and it's sad because....

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.

You are either saved and live for the LORD or you are not. It's that simple.

57TexasVol writes:

in response to running_dog:

Maybe sitting in prison will be a wake up call. I assure you, it has nothing to do with if his family thinks he needs it. It is strictly financial. In Pahokee, the price of a life can be $20 on any day.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to RockinTop:

You are either saved and live for the LORD or you are not. It's that simple.

So what you are saying is that once you are saved, you will never sin again???

VOL03_NC writes:

in response to higgman55:

Too late for rededication!

WRONG!!! JOHN 3:16

Liberal_Vol writes:

in response to gizmo2009:

It already has played out.

Chris Lowe is reporting that Jackson was suspended for last weeks game because of a failed drug test. I read on one of the articles on govolsxtra that Edwards has been in trouble with coaches and law multiple times this year and Richardson has missed practice on Sunday, had altercations with coaches, and now been involved in a crime. All of this reported on this site.

Remember how Jackson 2 days before the Gas station said how much he had learned from the suspension? What dribble.

2 days later he is riding around with people that appear to commit armed robbery and a girl with drugs on her. What did he learn from his drug suspension and how repentant was he of that?

Please get these losers out of University of Tennessee. I don't care if they stay in Tennessee or not.

volcrazy#211474 writes:

Rededication, What is that? The Bible does not teach "rededication". The Bible teaches that when we are saved we are given a new heart, new desires, and we will turn from the sin we once loved. If we continue to live like we did when we were lost, then we can be assured we still are lost. No change, No Jesus, this is what the Bible teaches. SO maybe there is a genuine repentance in these young men that will lead to salvation, if not it is just a worldly sorrow, only time will tell.
Regardless of their spiritual condition they still have to suffer the consequences of their actions, just like we would. Hopefully they are not just jumping through some religous hoops in order to gain favor with authorities, coaches, and fans. Hopefully we will begin to see some fruit in their lives that is a sign of regeneration.
As far as some of the comments go about the timing of this. Well, sometimes the Lord takes a person to the end of themselves to get their attention, when there appears to be no hope to show a person that they need a savior. It is easy to think you do not need a savior when you have everything you want, nice house, nice car, money, family, job security. Remember, it is easier for a camel to enter the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Maybe we can learn a lesson from this unfortunate incident.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to kdt0725#208656:

you are a complete idiot------------Ok idiot, robbery isnt acceptable even if not armed--------moron, it can be armed robbery with a sharp pointed pencil---some people are just too stupid to address with rational normal thinking

GerryOP writes:

in response to 57TexasVol:

And it's Uzi.

... and it was ATTEMPTED armed robbery.

tennezz writes:

Don`t be so quick to convict Jackson, He may have no part in this unless he knew about it ahead of time! Lets wait and see how this turns out in court. From what I`ve heard he did not participate in the holdup and maybe his only guilt is being in the car with them!