UT players arrested in attempted robbery not making trip to Ole Miss

Kiffin on football players' arrests: To paraphrase, "No comment."

Victims of attempted armed robbery speak about the experience

Screenshot of WVLT VolunteerTV exclusive video of the arrests early Thursday morning. Three University of Tennessee football players and a woman were jailed on charges of attempted armed robbery.

WVLT Video Screenshot

KNOXVILLE - Whether charges are dropped or not, neither Janzen Jackson nor the other two Tennessee players arrested Thursday will play in Saturday’s game against Mississippi.

According to UT spokesperson Tiffany Carpenter, Jackson, Nu’Keese Richardson and Mike Edwards are not listed on the travel roster for the trip to Oxford, Miss., this afternoon.

UT coach Lane Kiffin refused to announce any sort of punishment or suspension for the three after their arrests for armed robbery, but even without all the information, Kiffin apparently won’t let them face the Rebels.

Richardson remained today in jail on an attempted robbery charge stemming from an incident early Thursday at the Pilot station on Cumberland Avneue.

Richardson, 18, of Florida, remained at the Knox County Detention Facility in lieu of $19,500 bond, Knox County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Martha Dooley said.

Co-defendants Jackson and Edwards, 18, and fellow UT student 22-year-old Marie Montmarquet, have been released on bond or released on their own recognizance.

Vols head coach Lane Kiffin has said the players’ status is on hold while he reviews the alleged incident.

The students are to appear Nov. 20 in Knox County General Sessions Court.

According to KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk, the incident began at 1:43 a.m. at the Pilot station, 2218 Cumberland Ave., when officers were alerted to an armed robbery in progress.

When officers arrived, they found Cory B. Zickefoose, 20, Benjamin J. Everett, 19, and Corey M. Smith, 18, claiming to have been accosted by two men wearing black hooded sweatshirts.

The trio told officers they were sitting in a 1998 Hyundai Elantra at the convenience store while a friend was inside the business. As they waited for their friend, a man opened the driver’s door, brandished a handgun and stated, “Give me everything you have,” DeBusk said.

A second man then opened the passenger door of the Hyundai and reiterated to the trio, “Give us everything you’ve got,” DeBusk said.

The suspects then got into a 2010 Toyota Prius, which drove away from the scene, DeBusk said. The Prius was stopped a short time later by officers on Neyland Drive after it had been seen near Gibbs Halls.

Police found Edwards, Richardson and Jackson in the car, which was driven by Montmarquet, DeBusk said. UT spokeswoman Karen Collins confirmed that Montmarquet is a student at the university. She is from Mount Juliet, Tenn., according to police.

A search of the Prius revealed an air-powered pellet pistol under the rear seat. Two black hooded sweatshirts were seen in plain view in the backseat, DeBusk said.

The suspects were taken to the Pilot station, where the three victims identified Edwards and Richardson as the two men who demanded their wallets.

All three men were charged with attempted aggravated robbery.

In the glove box of the Prius police found a marijuana grinder, a device to break chunks of compressed marijuana into loose particles so that it can be more easily smoked. Police also found a clear plastic bag of suspected marijuana in Montmarquet’s jacket pocket, DeBusk said.

Montmarquet told police the grinder and marijuana found in her jacket belonged to her, DeBusk said. Along with three counts of attempted aggravated robbery, she also was charged with simple drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Both Richardson and Jackson were coming off a week in which they faced discipline from Kiffin, the former for missing a practice and the latter for a violation of team rules.

Jackson’s bond had initially been set at $15,000, but he was released on his own recognizance Thursday afternoon, according to attorney Don Bosch.

“Mr. Jackson vehemently asserts his innocence and hopes to be able to demonstrate that in the next 24 to 48 hours,” Bosch said.

Montmarquet’s attorney, Gregory P. Isaacs, said his client is a student in good standing and a former legislative page.

“Our preliminary investigation reveals that Miss Montmarquet had no knowledge of any of the allegations she has been charged with, and we look forward to speaking with authorities regarding this matter as expeditiously as possible,” he said Thursday.

It wasn’t clear if Edwards and Richardson had attorneys. Edwards and Montmarquet were freed on bond Thursday,

Kiffin has touted the discipline in his program and a clean arrest record as recently as Wednesday’s SEC teleconference.

Richardson is a 5-foot-10, 165-pound wide receiver from Pahokee, Fla. Jackson is a 6-foot, 174-pound defensive back from Lake Charles, La. Edwards is a 5-foot-10 defensive back from Cleveland, Ohio.

More details as they develop online and in Saturday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

Guess his Aunt's can't raise the dough. Sad.

vol88 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Guess his Aunt's can't raise the dough. Sad.

JJ surely isn't going to Oxford. But I haven't seen that. What time does the team leave? Is there not a travel roster floating out there somewhere?

gavol74 writes:

I'll throw in $20.00...would it be funny if all the vol fans pitched in and bailed him out...Pahokee kids would worship the power ot the " T "....

VolGraduate writes:

This is sad in so many different ways

GreensboroVol writes:

I can't believe these three are still on the team right now.

TommyJack writes:

in response to gavol74:

I'll throw down

tomatosoup writes:

Not only is this sad, I think this will have an effect for years to come. If Kiffin doesn't let these three thugs go right now....the commitments are gonna start running! Way to go folks!!! P.S. Still raining up here in DC. This is crazy....and wet!

Hardrocknox writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I'll throw down

bond will be about $2,000.00 plus a signature.

OrangeRockyTop writes:

thevoice writes:

Montmarquet's attorney, Gregory P. Isaacs, said his client is a student in good standing and a former legislative page.

"Our preliminary investigation reveals that Miss Montmarquet had no knowledge of any of the allegations she has been charged with, and we look forward to speaking with authorities regarding this matter as expeditiously as possible," he said Thursday.

Really? Then did the car just drive itself back to Gibbs Hall? I'm confused.

dvols writes:

would somebody go get this kid out of jail!!! geeez

EHScyclone writes:

I personally am not ready to throw these kids under the bus...You see, I know of good kids who have gone off to college and gotten themselves into trouble by doing stupid things...I know these kids did a stupid thing and I`m sure they realize that now....So, lets cut them a little slack and pray that this is a life long lesson for them...

CoverOrange writes:

in response to dvols:

would somebody go get this kid out of jail!!! geeez

Why? He can't cause any more trouble in there.

Vol86 writes:

They should just let nuke go with out bail. I do not believe he is a real bad kid. Just need some guidience. Something tells me if you give up on a person to early he may go worse. Football equals build charactor.

vol98champ writes:

in response to RMFT987:

If I were a college recruiter I wouldn't go near Pahokee or Cleveland. At best it is 50/50 that you aren't getting a trouble maker. Add Detroit also if you wish.

roloyo writes:

It's a shame they won't take that cheeseburger for bond. He may as well get use to that orange jumpsuit.

Hardrocknox writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Why would you go there ? grow up . Punk

SIMSVOL writes:

There's always 2 sides to every story. Let the facts come in and let the investigators do their job. Something not quite right about the guys in the Hyundai. We'll see what happens. Kiffin is and will continue to handle the situation properly.

vol88 writes:

JJ and Edwards aren't traveling with the team. Just posted at wbir.com.

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to dvols:

would somebody go get this kid out of jail!!! geeez

Why? He needs to get used to the surroundings. It's the best education he will get now.

Hope he stays there for quite some time.

99gator writes:

i still can't figure out the worst part of this.

it's stupid on a level of biblical proportions.

InertGas writes:

This is a huge black eye for the university. Kick all three off the team immediately. Let justice take it's course. If any or all are innocent they can pick up the pieces and continue elsewhere.

BERRY_4_HEISMAN writes:

I bet Marie's mom and dad are so proud of their litte girl out at 1:43am with 3 football players and a stash of pot. Surely, none of them were dating her....I'm just saying.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

I'm not defending Nukeese on what he did and I believe that he should be punished for it. But I hope he gets out soon. It's not like he's gonna skip town while the investigation is going on.

EHScyclone writes:

I think some of you people need to sit back and do a little self examination and think, what if this were my kid, how would I feel ??

brianarauch#206642 writes:

Hopefully this will be a turning point in this kid's life. Maybe sitting in jail for awhile will be enough to scare him straight.

Assuming this is true (I have no reason to doubt any of it), I will not be satisfied with anything less than dismissal from the team for the two involved. If Jackson was not involved (I'm still unclear how "uninvolved" he was) then probably only a suspension is in order.

Talk about a quick change in the attitude toward the program from the general public. I have received no less than 30 emails from colleagues and clients regarding this matter and it is nothing short of embarrassing. I had talked to many of these people over the past week and a half (prior to this incident) who were raving about the change that CLK has made and the fact that UT is really on the upswing. What makes this all the more important is these are mostly UGA, UF, FSU and Bama fans. I make it very clear on a regular basis that I am proud to have received my degrees from UT, and to be blunt, these morons painting my school in a negative light pisses me off.

TommyJack writes:

in response to volfromfla56_did_I_hurt_your_feelings:

LawCo shops at the KKK-Mart.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to GreensboroVol:

I can't believe these three are still on the team right now.

Because in America, we have this cool justice system that assumes innocence rather than guilt. Give due process a chance to work. CLK will make the correct and swift decision when he has the facts. You know just because the police arrests someone doesn't make them guilty of the crime.

FEARinSEC writes:

Some of these comments are rediculous!! Some want Kiffin to make a hasty decision without all the information? Some don't think these kids should be kicked off the team? And then there's the silly 'lopers who just want to spew garbage...
Kiffin is going to address this issue after tomorrow's game, you all should know that!! He has already said that he doesn't want issues taking away from the weeks game!! Where have all of you been??? I guarantee he will make the appropriate decision regarding punishment once he has weighed all the options and had time to go over ALL the information about this BS! I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm glad he didn't jump too hastily yesterday, because if he felt half as bad as I did about all this, he would have beat the pulp out of these 3 kids!!! Edward and 'Keese will be gone and I will be seriously shocked if not. JJ will probably be retained, though under a strict probation, and will be suspended the rest of the season. If JJ is as bad as this makes him look, he will not be able to make it through his probationary/suspension period and will be gone also!
I don't like this phooey one bit, but please use some common sense and realize that acting too hastily helps no one and acting like Kiffin is not going to deal with this is just plain ignorant!!

99gator writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

ashamed.

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to RMFT987:

eFF off cheater!

Hoss44 writes:

We don't know to what extent JJ was involved, why is everybody ready to throw him off the team!! Let the fact come out at CLK will do the right thing. Everybody needs to settle down.

ScoobyDooVol writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

I would beat his or her arse!

Something is up with this....though...sounds too stupid. Did KPD search the Hyundia? If so what did they find...if not why?

one4black writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

WTFE dumbazz

DennisVols writes:

The fact is we do not know all the facts involved. Let’s let the police do their job before we convict them on a message board.
If what has been said is true then there is no other option than dismissal for all involved.
There is however more to this story than the media has been willing to disclose at this point.
The claims are almost too stupid to be as currently published.
Jackson's bail was eliminated because of something more than we know. They don't just drop bail on a 3 count armed robbery charge and let you walk out of jail unless something has come to light that contradicts the original statement by the accusers.
I am curious as to what the surveillance videos will show. Every connivance/gas station has video cameras inside and out.
I have no tolerance for this type of behavior from any one so when the truth comes out and if it points to the UT players then they deserve everything thing the law would allow as punishment. But I also know how quickly the media is to break a story without all the facts and how quickly opinions can be made based on little knowledge of what actually happened. Remember just a few short weeks ago the breaking news on almost every channel about a little boy being in a so called weather balloon? The country horrified. What did we find out? The boy was never in it, it was all a lie by the parents just to gain attention.
So let’s give them the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are uncovered. If they are truly guilty then punish them to the full extent of it. Until that time we are all innocent until proven guilty. Kiffin has announced he is not taking them to the Ol Miss game.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to RMFT987:

That might actually be funny if they were trying to rob the gas station, but they weren't. Read the article for crying out load, it's been reposted 86 times since yesterday. The held up guys AT the station, not IN the station. So...your comment sucks.

Vols05 writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

yeah...let's just baby a bunch of grown men for making their own decision to rob three broke white guys at thier booster's business wearing their UT gear to boot. Real smart. Sounds to me like an episode of the world's dumbest criminals. Heck guys, why not wear your jerseys instead?! They'd be sure not to identify you then! Idiots! All three should go. Yeah, Jackson was "just there" but no one twisted his arm to be there with them. And why are they out so late anyway, with practice and classes the next day? These guys have the world at their doorstep and just screw it away by acting like street thugs. It's time these guys be held accountable for their actions. Period. You are at a major college playing D1 football and you go and smear the name of your school and drag it through the mud by your selfish actions. Real nice! Eric Berry came from a rough place, but you don't see him out doing stupid bs like that. He made his choice to do the right thing, and look at where he is! Let all of them go Kiffin. Stick to your word!

Kiffin_fan writes:

WATE just posted that all are out of jail. But, they also had different ages listed than all the other stories. I'm not sure what to believe... This is sad!!

Madkels writes:

in response to thevoice:

Really? Then did the car just drive itself back to Gibbs Hall? I'm confused.

Yes it did. And at the same time, slipped a bag of pot into her pocket and a grinder into the glove box. It probably manufactured the pellet gun found under the seat. I knew they were innocent! LOL

kentuckyorange writes:

It continues to amaze me how quickly some people turn on these 18 year old kids. A few weeks ago they were angels we loved and now they are thugs we need to get rid of. This is about the futures of these young men which is more important than a game. I feel bad for Nu'Keese and his family. Being kept in jail while your friends are bailed out sucks. Worse is that his family may not have the funds to get him out of jail anytime soon or to be able to hire good lawyer. When all the facts about the incident are known that the university will make the appropriate decisions. The future of Tennessee football will be just fine.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to dvols:

would somebody go get this kid out of jail!!! geeez

...would somebody please get this kid out of jail

vol88 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

The claims are almost too stupid to be as currently published.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

"The claims are almost too stupid to be as currently published."

I agree with your statement. I know I'm probably just drinking the KoolAid, but maybe there is more to it than we're hearing.

Madkels writes:

in response to Vols05:

Eric Berry has two parents that raised him. I'm sure they instilled in him better judgement or they would kick his butt for being stupid.

TLepage writes:

does anyone know if the basketball game will be televised online tonight????? and if so, where can i watch it???? i saw that its not going to be on espn360.com...... I live in richmond, va and its not going to be televised here.... Let me know if you have any suggestions...... Thanks..... GO VOLS!!!!!

Madkels writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

I would wonder what I did wrong as a parent to allow them to be so foolish. Then I would double the punishment.

arlvol writes:

in response to Vol86:

Grammar and spelling party foul alert.

ctownvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

ashamed.

Yes sir, and extremely disappointed. This one was hard to understand. There are a million reasons why this was a horrible decision. I just don't get it at all. And for nothing! I keep asking "what were they thinking?", but obviously they were not thinking at all. So many things could have gone wrong that night/morning. I mean did these kids think it was funny? Was this some sort of rite of passage in a New Jack City kind of way? Somebody please help me understand! Or is that asking too much?

Madkels writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

He's in jail...it should be easy and he can call it a class project!!

jetlink writes:

in response to Hardrocknox:

bond will be about $2,000.00 plus a signature.

Which bail bondsman are we using, let me know where to send the money!

roloyo writes:

in response to EHScyclone:

Yeah, What's not to love about a kid like that. If it was my kid, I'd probably be in cell next to him, charged with attempted murder.