UT freshman DB Oliver charged with shoplifting before Memphis game

Nyshier Oliver

Nyshier Oliver

Tennessee freshman defensive back Nyshier Oliver was charged with theft by shoplifting just hours before the Vols hosted Memphis on Nov. 7.

Oliver, 18, is the fourth player from UT’s 22-member 2009 signing class to be involved in a police incident. He joins receiver Nu’Keese Richardson and defensive backs Janzen Jackson and Mike Edwards, who were arrested and charged with attempted armed robbery on Nov. 12, five days after Oliver was cited.

The citation was issued at Dillard’s department store in West Town Mall at 1:45 p.m. The UT-Memphis game kicked off at 7 p.m.

He was cited to court after a police officer spotted him trying to conceal a brown polo shirt worth $110 in a Dillard’s bag.

Oliver, who is from Jersey City, N.J., will make a court appearance on Nov. 23.

Oliver has played in one game this season, against Alabama on Oct. 24.

Oliver had an odd recruitment. He originally committed to UT in June under former coach Phillip Fulmer. He changed his mind and committed to Notre Dame in October after Fulmer was fired. Then, he committed to UT again just days before signing with the Vols on National Signing Day in February.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mattgb7c writes:

and here we go....

bigorange61 writes:

What a month. First we find out the Witch Doctor watches Oprah. Then Cheeseburgergate. Now this.

What the heck is next?

OrangeCrush writes:

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit drinking...

Volman writes:

I just dont understand kids these days. Always want something for nothing. It just makes me wonder about there parents sometimes.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

Oh great. Another freshman who has a serious case of the "STUPIDS". Just what we need.

EastTNvolfan writes:

Seems minute when you look at the past week's events, but seriously guys let's stop all this foolishness. You are adults now so act like it.

seofeed writes:

Ok, shoplifting is more like it. That's a normal mistake an 18 year old kid would make.

VOLFROMNC writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit drinking...

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue...

kabzs writes:

Stupid is as stupid does

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

When it rains it pours...

All the trouble has been caused by freshmen..seems like a disturbing pattern here.

Ok trolls..open season on VOLS again, go for it.

linkster writes:

Did this young man dress for the game? Possibly play in the game? If so, he had a multi-tasking day! Where's the focus?

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

goodbye to him too... let's take these scholarships and give them to someone who understands that you walk the line when you come to Tennessee.

RuRoh writes:

Dillard's??? Son...if you are going to steal at least make it worth your time.

dvols writes:

what's the big deal, name a national championship team in the last 20 years that has not had these issues...we gots to get ours! it just goes with the territory..

dowhatsright writes:

in response to bigorange61:

What the heck is next?

"Cheeseburgergate" is a good one.

EastTNvolfan writes:

Should we start administering an exam before we take you as a football player? Sample question:

I am a broke college student with a great shot at playing football at a great school and with any luck the NFL one day. should I:
A. Hold up equally broke college students at 2am with a pellet gun.
B. Steal a shirt that will cost me more in fines than the shirt is actually worse.
C. Stay in my dorm room, study, get a free education, practice hard, play hard

Halls3 writes:

Wow looks like UT is the new USC. The NCAA will start investigating soon but unlike USC, UT won't get off.

VOLincarolina writes:

Im a college athlete myself and sometimes wonder what these kids are thinking trying to rob or steal something!! Wait 3 to 4 more years and they would be able to afford anything they want!! just dont get it!! GOO VOLS!!!

mbresp writes:

Hey, and while you're in Memphis for the Auto-Zone, please pay for your merchandise. They frown on the five finger discount there.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

if we do that we would have to change our name to Vanderbilt-East.

memphisfan81 writes:

WOW... So is this Memphis fault also LOL There was a guy on another thread that talked about the thugs we at Memphis recruit and the great integrity guys UT recruits. You might want to rethink that buddy. LOL

Seriously I don't think its a schools fault for what a idiot kid does. Its unfortunately however that the kid represents you .

volswithclass writes:

4 Arrests - Kiffin recruits
1 player suspended for failed drug test - kiffin recruit

How is that new style of recruiting and new improved team discipline working out?

jclvol writes:

in response to dthenc:

Breaking News: We have a new coach. I'll help you out with that list...

Nukeese Richardson (armed robbery)

Janzen Jackosn (armed robbery)

Mike Edwards (armed robbery)

Nyshier Oliver (theft)

I have forgotten about some of those guys. To be fair, at least pick one of Morley's charges acquired while enrolled at UT.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to EastTNvolfan:

A. Hold up equally broke college students at 2am with a pellet gun.
C. Stay in my dorm room, study, get a free education, practice hard, play hard

In all honesty, making all incoming freshman take and pass Criminal Justice 1000 might need to be made a requirement. Then watch a few episodes of the First 48 to see how stupid people loose their freedom for life for just being around people who do mindless stupid acts.

all_vols writes:

in response to dthenc:

wow...how pathetic can a person be to spend all his time researching these charges just to post on another teams website...must be scared...get a life!

dowhatsright writes:

in response to Richard_Saunders:

Do other Tennessee fans get the feeling like I do that vultures are hanging around? I've never understood anyone hanging around another team's site. I guess their own must be VERY boring.

Greyback_Vol writes:

in response to dthenc:

Of all those incidents, Josh McNeil's situation is the only one I'm envious of.

A free education and chance to play SEC football. Don't piss it away guys.

volswithclass writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Good point - Lane lied to the media - he knew about this arrest before the armed robbery.

mbresp writes:

in response to dvols:

Why are you comparing yourself to a national championship team. You gotta do a little better than .500 ball and "we only lost by 10 points" to win a national championship.

dowhatsright writes:

in response to Richard_Saunders:

Didn't you have a sort of gay exercise show on TV where you wore short shorts?

bigorange61 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

You have proof Lane knew?

vols615 writes:

THIS IS NOT TRUE IN ANY WAY, AS SOON AS IT WOULD OF HAPPEN U IDIOTS WOULD OF FOUND OUT AND TOLD US. THERE IS NO WAY THAT HE SHOPLIFTED AND IT WAS KEPT QUIET THIS LONG

al2476 writes:

Another dumb arse!!!!

all_vols writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

here goes the idiot again...anyone who agrees with Al Davis has to be STUPID!!!

orgbleglory writes:

in response to dthenc:

Now that is a more historically correct list of recent VOLS GONE WILD activity....where is good ole DeerInHeadlights now....needs to take a lesson on recent student/athlete action giving a direct inference as to the direction of a program....end of discussion!!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to LazhilUT:

Please cut dthenc some slack. He's the first generation of his family to walk upright.

BreweryVol writes:

in response to Volman:

One thing alot of people do not take into consideration is that some of these players come from absolute nothing. They are not allowed to work and earn money and their family has no money to send them. So here they are in college with thousands of their peirs whose parents give them money, and credit cards to buy cool cloths, got out on the town, go to the movies, etc. So the only way for them to have some of these luxeries is to take them. I do not condone the actions, just wanted to help people where this type of behavior comes from.

abnermc writes:

in response to dthenc:

Dang, Fla beat us again. They matched our number in one year. We'll try harder but I'm sure we'll never catch up to Oscar.

SKO_Vol82 writes:

Oh well, there goes my theory. No neck tattoo. But, I bet he'd have gotten one if it could have been shoplifted! LOL.

macgaz writes:

in response to dthenc:

wow, that's a lot of names. I wonder what the list for Florida or Texas looks like? I bet the Florida St. list alone would crash my computer.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to Volman:

Get a grip, Volman. It's not just "kids these days". It's every generation. There are some good ones and there are some bad ones. And there are some good ones who sometimes do stupid things.

As for their parents, I'm 61 years old and my parents raised me the way I should've been raised. And if I did something stupid, I would hope that someone wouldn't say, "Look at those good-for-nothing parents whose kid did something stupid." And if my kids do something stupid I hope that doesn't make me good-for-nothing in someone else's eyes.

I'm not dismissing what this young man did. He didn't make a "mistake". He made a stupid decision just like the other three did. I hope they all learn and grow from it. But let's don't saddle "kids these days" with the reputation of being the only generation of stupid decision-makers. They certainly don't have a corner on the market. I know I can look back and cringe over some decisions I've made, and I'll just bet you can too.

Sorry for getting on a soap box. Didn't mean to. But I hope you'll take my post in the spirit in which it was intended.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

in response to Volman:

what parents?

orgbleglory writes:

in response to volswithclass:

Absolutely Correct...AD stated emphatically that this guy spent more time lying about his "circumstances" than coaching his players...unfortunately being step by step unraveled by his own transgressions!!!

CRFVols writes:

Is that a typo? $110 for a shirt? That's retarded in itself.

How pathetic is this. I was always worried that the more talent you get in, the more issues you get along with it.

We're going to have these issues, big deal....what will define our program is how we deal with them. No weak half game suspensions.

ellunitiko writes:

I mean come on, this is normal run-of-the-mill stupidity. Yes, I agree that its a bad thing that he did (shoplifting), but it is nowhere near the level of armed robbery. He should be suspended for a couple games (maybe play in a bowl game) and let the justice system apply its punishment on him. For a crime like this, some community service is probably the best way to go about it.

tfoxi writes:

dthenc, SHUT UP PLEASE!! It's annoying, really. It's childish too.

BustaRhymes writes:

Yeah, but the question on everyone's mine should be... does this build Lane's "street cred?" I think the answer here is "yes." So we have that going for us...

What a joke - I would rather have a bad football team that I can root for than a team of thugs. If this keeps up, I think we should start an alumni petition to send the Kiffin's packing (except for Layla, she can stay).

tennezz writes:

in response to dthenc:

We will suspend them all for the first half of the Vanderbilt game! dthenc you need to get a life, you have way to much free time on your hands!

ellunitiko writes:

in response to orgbleglory:

Sorry to get technical (not sorry to defend CLK) but he was NOT arrested- he was issued a paper citation (similar to a traffic ticket) and told to appear in court. This is very different than an arrest & booking. Therefore CLK did not lie

cc623 writes:

Another kid un-deserving of being a part of this program.Seems to me like parents these days obviously need to do a better job raising their children.If these kids had their A** busted when they needed it instead of "grounding them" or trying to talk it out things would be a lot different!If the kid is on scholarship it should be taken away and he should be forced to repay the program every dime they have spent on him.This should apply to the other idiots from last week's bumbling attempt at a robbery...