Court dates set for UT players charged in armed robbery attempt

KNOXVILLE - Court dates have been set for a University of Tennessee football player and two former teammates charged in an attempted armed robbery last week.

Mike Edwards, 18, is set to appear Friday for arraignment in Knox County General Sessions Court. So is fellow UT student Marie Montmarquet, 22, accused of acting as the players' getaway car driver.

Nu'Keese Richardson and Janzen Jackson, also 18, are set to appear Monday for a preliminary hearing, said John Gill, spokesman for the Knox County district attorney general.

Edwards and Richardson were kicked off the team Monday. Jackson is still on the team but is barred from all team activities.

Richardson, Edwards, and Jackson face charges of attempted aggravated armed robbery after Knoxville police said they tried to hold up three men Nov. 12 outside the Pilot convenience store on Cumberland Avenue.

Court records list Richardson as represented by Public Defender Mark Stephens. The other three have obtained lawyers, with Edwards represented by David Eldridge, Jackson represented by Don Bosch and Montmarquet represented by Gregory P. Isaacs. None of the attorneys discussed the case today.

The robbery attempt happened just before 1:45 a.m. when Cory B. Zickefoose, Benjamin J. Everett and Corey M. Smith told police they'd been confronted by two men in black hoodies with what looked like a pistol. The men demanded "everything you have," according to court records.

The three, who had empty wallets, later identified Edwards and Richardson as the holdup men, police said.

Police stopped a 2010 Toyota Prius driven by Montmarquet soon after the holdup and found a pellet gun, two black hoodies and marijuana inside, according to records.

All four remain free on bond.

More details as they develop online and in Thursday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

Hopefully, next Monday will allow Coach Kiffin to quickly make a decision on Jackson one way or the other.

For the young man's sake, I hope that the police are able to tell the judge that their investigation indicates no involvement at all by Jackson and he will be allowed to remain a vol. But if he did have any involvement, he needs to be gone.

Either way, let's put this behind us as soon as possible and move on. I trust Kiffin with making the right decision.

mlsoft

one4black writes:

Let's hope this does not drag out ... but it will.

5pcChickenDinner writes:

Just heard this story will also appear on America's Dumbest Criminals on December 15th.

chad_t31 writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Nope. But I'm pretty sure you were an "accident". Off you go.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Tragic state of affairs. I really hate that these kids lost their way, or didn't receive the guidance they needed to steer clear of this type of situation.

Sadder still that Richardson is left with a public defender while UT is basically sponsoring Jackson's defense. I personally don't want these kids to go to prison for this incident. I don't think that's the way.

You may call me a bleeding heart liberal (and I expect most of you will), but this all stinks to high heaven.

Greyback_Vol writes:

I don't think this looks good for Jackson, but I guess charges could still be dropped.

Wasn't Eldridge one of the public defenders in last month's Christian/Newsome trial?

nocleats writes:

Only date to focus on is this Sat vs Vanderbilt. As banged up as our D is (see Ole Miss Game) we have to score alot of points.. Vandy has a good defense, tricky well timed blitzes off the edge, and a very quick rb. Be ready for a ball game !

Volsrbest writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Major, I agree this is a sad situation for Nuke (although he brought it on himself) but I think it clearly shows who has some money and who don't. He was the last one out on bond and has a public defender.

I do not think UT is sponsoring Jackson's defense because it would be a NCAA violation to do so. UT may have advised Jackson on who to use, but they can't pay for it.

Go Vols! Beat Vandy!!

the10sevol writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

uT is "basically sponsering" jj's defense? wow, you just scooped griff, strange, ward, and even adams! you sould be a kns writer. i mean a paid one. maybe what stinks is your factless accusation.

GBO

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to DaMan:

You are an Idoit.

BigOrangeInCarolina writes:

Not trying to defend Jackson in ANY way, but shouldn't there be some footage somewhere around? At the pumps and certainly at the doors and inside the store! Maybe that's why Jackson got released quickly. Maybe the video showed he actually was doing something legal.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

In an earlier article, it was noted that Bosch is basically the go to attorney for UT athletes in trouble. Sorry if I misspoke, but the disparity between each defendant's legal counsel was the point I was trying to make.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

JJ just got done poking his girl(that happens to be a pot smoker,like most college kids) on his way home from her place he stopped and saw the other two. He asked them if they would like a ride, they said yes and he went into the store, then he comes out and tells them "come on we gotta go". They get pulled over just before they make it home. JJ and the girl had nothing to do with the robbery. Book it.

Volsrbest writes:

in response to Vols_Man:

You've got that right! Sounds like we have a lot of injuries going into this game. Vandy has nothing to lose and we have everything to lose!

Stay focused Vols!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

In a perfect world, all kids would have good parents, a good education, good judgment in important things, and these kinds of things wouldn't happen. Doesn't happen and never will. Poor judgment starts when kids are small in their formative years and it's extremely difficult to fix that when they are grown. It almost becomes part of their personalities. Doesn't mean they are bad people, it just means they have had neither proper training nor reasonable examples in this area and have made a path for themselves that will be very hard. If you believe this is unfortunate for these young men and hate to see their lives ruined by a prison term but understand actions have consequences, I agree. You are only a "bleeding heart liberal" if you blame society for their individual actions or think they should be given special treatment because of their circumstances - that I can't go along with. But hey, differing opinions are what make this country great and if we all agreed on everything this nation could no longer remain great. Civilized disagreements are where I am - I wish more people on this site were too! Go Vols!!!

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to Vols_Man:

Why is telling you what happened dreaming?

heyitsme writes:

in response to DaMan:

"Rumor" has it that a "black helicopter" will be hovering over your trailer tonight and will shine a bright white light that will penetrate the aluminum roof and will confiscate the remainder of your 2nd grade mind...

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to reyem060809:

yes that you are as stupid as they come

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to DaMan:

The "weed girl" is a grad student and likely has means - grad school is expensive and so are Prius's. She's got no priors and a fancy lawyer - she's walking. Jackson is a future NFL guy so his family will pay whatever, however, to get him off this charge and back on the field. Consider it an investment if you will. He's also got a high end lawyer - suspended then back next year. The other two are immaterial at this point. Nuke is a bad apple as evidenced by challenging his coaches about playing time at an SEC school as a true freshman, missing classes, practices, meetings, etc... - gone. Edwards was never gonna be a star - expendable, gone. Your assessment of any of these young men's "role" in the robbery is pure speculation as is the "rumor" about a client list. Total waste of cyberspace. Your assessment about the outcome is IMO spot on. In the good old litigious US of A, people who spend lots of dollars on high end lawyers almost always get a tangible benefit from it. This case will be no different.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Not really rey it's assumed that you will be the first or very close to the first F'nnnn A-Hole to start a line of BS.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to reyem060809:

With a post like this, why shouldn't we assume that you're an idiot?

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the fault in this situation rests with society at large, or that their circumstances warranted special treatment. I believe in the rule of law, completely.

At the same time, I am no stranger to the hood mentality and I can understand the mistakes kids like these make. I don't condone it, but I regret that whatever it would have taken to get these kids in line wasn't available to them.

I support the decision to remove them from the team...I just wish it had never come to that...much like the rest of you I suspect, but for various reasons.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Vols_Man:

Really! Our hotshot Freshman All-America was poking that? Aren't there some cheerleaders or sorority girls willing to help a fella out in his time of need? Kidding of course. Bottom line is that none of us, and I do mean none, knows either what really happened or anyone's specific role or motivation during the event. Unless you happen to work for the Knoxville DA's office, in which case your release of details also constitutes a crime, we should quit speculating about the robbery and all be worrying about the Vandy game and let Kiffin and the DA work out all the details of the crime and punishment for our three young entrepreneurs. Go Vols!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

So if you're so concerned why don't you start a defense fund for the other two and pony up for it yourself? Put your money where your mouth is, pal.

the10sevol writes:

asleep, you are anything but. thanks.

GBO

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to DaMan:

You only deal in rumors.

the10sevol writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

ncaa would frown on that. severely.

GBO

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Cool. Go Vols!!!

BDaws writes:

I was having this conversation with a cop the other day and brought up that this whole thing is fishy to me. He found my thoughts interesting... I still think it was a drug deal that went bad, why else were the guys held up not wanting to press charges and wanted the guys to be able to stay on the team and play? I just think they made up some of it to cover their own arses. Just my .02.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to DaMan:

DM you're a dork. No one has ever said Jackson was a look out. He was inside and may not have had any idea what the other two were up
That is an issue for the police and DA. There are no Lilly white people in this world of ours, unless they are carrying a Bible for a living. I have been around enough Preacher and their children that I'm not sure many of them are clean. In today's social groups, with all their partying 90% of the kids have been in an environment that could have sent them to jail. They may or may not have done anything them selves. So you too are a crook just got away with it. Say what you like , we all know better,

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

You do not hate it that these kids lost their way. You are glad they got arrested because that embarrasses UT and the coach. And you like that.

BDaws writes:

Or maybe even that the players bought the drugs and got ripped off so they went back and found the guys to try and even the scales (no pun intended).

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to reyem060809:

No, but your illegitimate birth was definitely an incident.

orangeblood8456 writes:

hopefully burt reynolds has a football team at riverbend prison in nashville so this guys can play some more football. bubba in cell block "c" don't have a team, but i'd say he wiil play!!!!

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

What? I'm pretty sure you're just trying to razz someone, but I don't know how you could possibly draw that conclusion from what I wrote.

Some people on here are ridiculous.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

Not all of the pretty girls have free weed for poor college students.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to DaMan:

KNS should go ahead and ban your freakshow azzclown self unless you can post some sort of link.
Idiot.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to one4black:

Let's hope this does not drag out ... but it will.

What happens if the three men who were supposedly
being held up refuses to testify.. All of a sudden they cannot remember the faces for sure of who did what. To convict someone you need people who can testify unless there is evidence left at the scene that connects the crime to those individuals and hoodies some miles way may not be sufficent.

usnavyvol writes:

in response to DaMan:

dude I saw u talking trash earlier about our Lady Vols in another tread. Is this all you have to make you feel good about yourself? Get a grip..get a life..and move on about ur business.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to heyitsme:

That is Hysterical! Funniest post in months and yet so true!!!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to RMFT987:

Because of throwing helmets and getting up in Wilson's face on national tv during and after auburn game. Not what u were hoping for huh?

13Natties writes:

BREAKING NEWS!!!
BREAKING NEWS!!!
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Monte is heading back to the NFL. He said the kids in college(UT) like to rob people and the coaches like to run a spread offense.

the10sevol writes:

i see 987 and farragut are starting to echo each other, like k,zz, and dc. guess we can expect the new dawg loper to have another friend soon.

GBO

TommyJack writes:

in response to the10sevol:

GBO

Well 10, probably the same guy doing all of'em.

roloyo writes:

in response to BigOrangeInCarolina:

My thoughts exactly. Big brother had to be there somewhere. You can't go to a public bathroom without seeing a camera.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

As I said on another post, the 3 amigos in this story and also Oliver, are all involved or implicated in theft. Theft is theft, some used a gun and another used a shopping bag, but it is still theft.

UT students, grads, fans and employees all deserve to have better representatives than this. And don't start the junk about the Penn State lawsuit. Playing football and receiving scholarships are priviliges, not rights. Send them all home........GO VOLS

crimsonviper writes:

in response to the10sevol:

GBO

Evenin' 10..I guess I have missed the dawg loper.
What could they be woofin' about?
Ctown will deal with that. IMHO....GBO Hammer Vandy!

jet writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

I am not a liberal, but I do agree with you. I've seen the system at work and it is not pretty, unless you have money, of course. I am pretty conservative about most things and I think what these kids did was stupid, but I have also raised two boys, who are fine young men, but they all do some stupid things. That is part of being a kid. I hate to see kids ruin their lives and I don't think our penal system exactly turns them around. It is sad.

the10sevol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Well 10, probably the same guy doing all of'em.

you're probably right. don't see kns springing for 2 trolls, what with all the "groundbreaking investigative journalism" they have goin' on. can't pull all your stories from the other websites if you're on here all the time.

(lail test. jack - you awake?)

GBO

the10sevol writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Evenin' 10..I guess I have missed the dawg loper.
What could they be woofin' about?
Ctown will deal with that. IMHO....GBO Hammer Vandy!

hey, cv. the dawg has been on the 300 post thread on the other story, been there all afternoon. must like abuse, i guess, not a bad sort, but still taking his shots and bragging about being 2nd in the sec-e.

tell your boys not to hurt bj on saturday, i don't wish bad fortune on the kid, especially the kind 35 and 25 bring.

GBO