Kiffin says Oliver incident wasn't an arrest

Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin emphasized Wednesday morning that defensive back Nyshier Oliver was not arrested in his first public comments since news broke Tuesday afternoon that the freshman was cited for theft by shoplifting hours before the team played Memphis on Nov. 7.

Kiffin said Oliver, who has not played and will redshirt this season, was disciplined internally. He wasn't allowed to dress for the Memphis game.

Kiffin made his comments during a radio interview on The Sports Animal.

When asked last Thursday about the arrests of three other players in an alleged attempted armed robbery, Kiffin said, "We made it 11 months and 11 days without any incidents."

Oliver was cited at Dillard's department store in West Town Mall when an officer observed him trying to conceal a polo shirt, according to a police report obtained by the News Sentinel.

Banged up I: Kiffin said linebacker Rico McCoy shouldn't have played in the second half of the Ole Miss game last Saturday because of a leg injury. McCoy was limited during Tuesday's practice, along with strongside linebacker LaMarcus Thompson, who suffered a severe stinger against the Rebels.

Freshman linebacker Greg King was also "banged up" during practice on Tuesday, Kiffin said.

Kiffin said former Farragut standout Shane Reveiz practiced with the first team defense on Tuesday.

Banged Up II: Kiffin said former Austin East star Anthony Anderson could see more playing time in UT's defensive backfield after former Fulton star Dennis Rogan was limited in practice Tuesday with a leg injury.

Kiffin said Rogan is questionable for Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.

Kiffin said walk-on Tyler Wolf could also see more time at safety. He played sparingly against Ole Miss.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

zqvol writes:

Cited for shoplifting is an arrest whether Kiffin thinks so or not.

CB4VOLZ writes:

in response to zqvol:

Cited for shoplifting is an arrest whether Kiffin thinks so or not.

SO.. if I get cited for speeding, have I actually been arrested? I think NOT.....

GahLee writes:

A citation is an arrest, just without actually going to jail, been there done that.

Having said that, let me tell how easy it is to cover up a citation.

I was 18 and living at home, months went by and my Mom still had no idea of the citation, until an attorney called.

Kiffin could have not known about this, just possibility.

navarrebeachvol writes:

I'm no lawyer, but I think you have to be arrested for it to be an arrest, arse clown. Thx for the article supermo. Had forgotten about that Gator who got multiple chances. Wow! AK-47 vs a pellet gun. Dang nabbit, Gators beat us again!

VOLinNYC writes:

Damn... I think the bigger story is all the linebacker injuries.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to zqvol:

Cited for shoplifting is an arrest whether Kiffin thinks so or not.

Really?

Arrest - the taking of a person into legal custody, as by officers of the law.

Mr. Webster could be wrong.

laocoon writes:

Zero tolerance should apply. No player should be coddled, especially in Kiff's first year as coach. Shoplifting isn't just a kid transgression, it's a serious breach of boundaries and is a form of anti-social behavior. Kiffin should not allow this. It's about attitude.

USMCVOL4LIF writes:

Wow, I wonder if we will have enough players to suit up & play saturday.. The lack of depth is really starting to take its toll this late in the season. I hope we have enough to take care of Vandy, and come out fresh for Kentucky. Hopin we can finish strong and 7-5! GBO!!!

Ringleader writes:

in response to GahLee:

Having said that, let me tell how easy it is to cover up a citation.

Kiffin could have not known about this, just possibility.

Exactly.......
And Kiffin knows this also, he is a liar....
and knew so when he made his little statement.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Urban Meyer....stern......stern but fair.... ::covering face trying to make laughter look like a coughing fit::

punkin writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Really?

Arrest - the taking of a person into legal custody, as by officers of the law.

Mr. Webster could be wrong.

A citation is issued in leiu of an arrest. The suspect must be booked and appear in court. Technically it's an arrest.

Ringleader writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Kiffin said there had been "no incidents", so do you think the shoplifting was an incident or not?

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to Ringleader:

Gotta say...that's a valid point.

TommyJack writes:

in response to GahLee:

Having said that, let me tell how easy it is to cover up a citation.

Kiffin could have not known about this, just possibility.

You could be cited again for the tats.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to VOLinNYC:

Damn... I think the bigger story is all the linebacker injuries.

Agree, what really hurts is that we are already thin in this area. We need our reserves to handle Vandy so we can get some people healthy for KY. The Kentucky game is the one I'm worried about now.
Everybody thinks that game is automatic W because we have beat them 24 (or how many ever) years in a row.
Not that Auburn is great this year, but KY did beat them, we are playing at Kentucky and you know those guys are tired of hearing about how we've beat them how many ever times in a row....
Lets get all this BS behind us, get focused and win out!!!

GO VOLS!!!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to punkin:

You just contradicted your own statement. Do you know what "in leiu of" means? It means "instead of" or "in place of". So he got a citation instead of an arrest. So it's not an arrest.

Put it this way. Let's say I owe you $20.00. In leiu of cash, I give you a clock radio. So, did I technically give you cash?

gwills228#231210 writes:

so let me get this straight,he was only CITED,not ARRESTED,so that makes it ok! sounds like something fulmer would have said. so,i guess the new buzz word around gibbs hall is,man if you get caught doing something you shouldn't have been doing,try and talk them into only citing you and not arresting you and you can stay on the team. as far as jackson goes,kick him off the team! he has already failed at least one drug test,was in a car that was stopped and everyone inside was arrested for something! jackson cares more about his own needs than the needs of the team,mark my words,jackson will strike again,and when he does the media will be all over kiffin!

JWilly writes:

Forget the semantics. St4ealing a $110 shirt from a dept. store IS an incident. Did CLK think this would not beome public? What is going on?

cumberlandVOL writes:

shane reveiz was practicing with the first team D... i guess chris donald has fallen from grace in a grand fashion. i thought he was supposed to be a really good prospect when he signed

Al_the_Dawg writes:

Business as usual on the Hill. Nothing to see here, move along.

sitinhere writes:

in response to VOLinNYC:

Damn... I think the bigger story is all the linebacker injuries.

I think I got eligibility left. I run a 4-40...that is 4 min 40.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to gwills228#231210:

No, it's not all right.

And to you guys that think a citation and an arrest are all the same. I'll concede that being detained while a citation is being written could amount to temporary custody and therefore an arrest did happen. That's really splitting hairs. Same could be said for a speeding ticket then.

fball writes:

in response to Tellico_Vol:

ur right--another vol moral victory..

VirginiaVolunteer writes:

in response to punkin:

You might want to know what you are talking about before you open that hole in your head that you only should use to eat!!! You do not have to be "booked" for any theft under $200. It is the same thing as driving with an expired license....Do your homework before you post anything else on here!!!

AtlG writes:

Gee, what does a guy have to do around here to have an incident?! Hold somebody up at gunpoint?

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to gwills228#231210:

OMG, you're an I-D-I-O-T!! No one said it was alright, but my goodness, you sound like we should put him in the electric chair!
As far as Jackson, you don't know he won't be kicked off the team, and if he does stay, don't you think he'll be on a pretty strict probation/suspension period?? If he doesn't make it, so be it, he'll be gone!!
All I have to say is thank GOD someone thought I deserved a few chances in life to get my head on straight when I was younger... If it had been up to you, I would have been tarred, feathered, crucified, shot in a firing line, burned at the stake............

BuckFama writes:

An incident is an incident whether or not an arrest is made. Kiffin made the "incident" statement when he could easily have said "arrests", but he didn't.

Coach Kiffin can coach - I have no doubt about that. But, he is most definitely a loose cannon. Many UT fans had been up in arms over Tennessee being a "laughingstock" for losing. Now, UT is merely a laughingstock for it's football coach being either a liar or an idiot. Many would argue that he's both.

kiddtigger#228291 writes:

I think the more serious part of the article is the fact we're so bloomin' beat up on defense.

Al_the_Dawg writes:

Comparing a traffic citation to a citation to appear for booking is apples to oranges. Different rules govern them. Traffic citations do not require booking, mug shots, etc etc. You are not processed into the detention system. A citation to appear for booking, which is what merchants use in lieu of arrest quite frequently, requires you to present yourself at a police station for processing at the proscribed date and time.

In the eyes of the law, a citation to appear for booking is the same as an arrest and transport at the time of the incident.

I've been working for a major retail chain here in Knoxville for 20 years now. I've been party to this song and dance quite a few times.

TommyJack writes:

Still on the LaneTrain. But perhaps he would be better served to coach more, and chin-wag less.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to kiddtigger#228291:

You are absolutely right, Kidd. Seeing how these "incidences" cause fans like myself to lose focus, imagine what it does to the football team.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to BuckFama:

If we wanted to argue semantics, we could probably find that everyone on the face of this earth has told a lie, knowingly or not, at some point.

You petty people keep it up, but this will long be forgotten by most while you are still mouthing about something so minute....
Seems like the FU Gatrolls got some Vols fans infected with WHINE FLU!

And yes, BUCKFAMA!!

GO VOLS!!!!

sitinhere writes:

in response to Tellico_Vol:

Well, depends on the cop for the speeding ticket. You can be cited for speeding and you get a ticket and it goes on your record and insurance goes up OR you can be like my son and get arrested for wreckless driving (85 in a 40), hire a lawyer, go to court, pay a fine and get it expunged from your records and insurance never finds out. It wasn't too bad, met Brent Vinson while waiting for my son to be booked. (PF was still coach at that time)

Either way, makes you want to slap these kids around a bit just to knock some sense in them. This one was being a dumb@ss and the other 3 were just stupid.

OrangePride writes:

Citation.....arrest.....whatever. The battle over the semantics here is going nowhere. The fact is that the young man tried to clip a shirt. Slice that however you wish, it's attempted theft and just plain wrong. CLK found out, handled it internally, and it is done with..for now. As mentioned in other posts, the bigger story here is how many injuries we have and how we are going to patch this team back together for two more games! GO VOLS!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to Ringleader:

If I am a football player for Tennessee, and I knowingly drive a car faster than the speed limit and am ticketed with a citation and allowed to leave the scene of the 'crime' without being booked or have bail applied, and if my coach is told about it and suspends me for a game and adheres to his policy of not making such things public, is that an 'incident'?

And does it warrant calling someone a liar over the matter - as you have just done on this board? You tell us, know-it-all.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to RMFT987:

Angel, please fly back to heaven and give The Good Lord a report on our Football team. I'm sure you're the one who should judge the Volunteer Football Program, as you and your Angelic Tide are so perfect and found without sin.

Have a good day!

GahLee writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You could be cited again for the tats.

Not sure why you think me getting a tattoo in honor of my son's is such a big deal?

Maybe you have never had such joy as I do with my kids, your problem, not mine.

kevin151 writes:

Last year all the talk was about Firing Fulmer. This year it is all about arrests. I just wish Tenn. would win and we can start talking about football again.

gatorbaitheaven writes:

I would like to know what he was doing at the mall on game day. I always thought the Gators stayed in a hotel on game day and just assumed every team did this. Also has anyone seen LSU Freeks cartoon about this it is funny. He also did a good one on Spikes. I would put a link up to it but dont know how lol. I dont feel he should be kicked off the team for this but some good old fashioned punishment is in order and I am sure he will get it.

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to Al_the_Dawg:

Business as usual on the Hill. Nothing to see here, move along.

enjoy that beat down this year, dawg?

GahLee writes:

in response to Al_the_Dawg:

You don't have to appear at a police station for a mug shot if you receive a citation, you just have to appear in court on said date and pay your court fines.

It is essentially an arrest, just without the booking and the jailing process, still looked at as the same on your record I believe, and you have to pay the court fines just the same.

Usually with a citation it is nothing more than unsupervised probation, no biggie.

Not dismissing what Oliver did, he should have known better.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Fry him, FRY HIM NOW!!!!

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to Al_the_Dawg:

been a store clerk for 20 years? wow. impressive. Typical UGA grad. Nice career. and shouldn't you be worried about Georgia....they usually lead the Fulmer Cup and now suck on the field.

Al_the_Dawg writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

enjoy that beat down this year, dawg?

I did not. But as poorly as Georgia played, they deserved every bit of what they got.

I am a Georgia Bulldog to the core, but I also can be honest about them. They played poorly and they paid the price for it.

Go Dawgs.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to GahLee:

Not dismissing what Oliver did, he should have known better.

Adam, if you are issued a Misdemeanor Citation you have to be finger printed and booked before appearing in court. A traffic citation is totally different.

When the article said he had to make a court appearance, I made some bad assumptions. And we know what that does.

Al_the_Dawg, I stand corrected.

lahvolman2 writes:

Good God Guys and Gals.. looks like we all need to lighten up a bit.. it's a long way to Sept. 2010 and I personally think Kiffen is only trying to survive until then. No one should ever think we are going to stay squeeky clean until then and neither will any other school.. guess my only point is that there is going to be an awful lot to talk about until then... this season is basically a bust anyway and Kiff and his coaches and 95% of his players have done the very best they could to please us all!!! NEVER BEEN A WAGON JUMPER !!!!!!!! GBO

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to BuckFama:

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Kiffin has kicked two players completely off of the team in the past few days. Another is suspended indefinitely pending the outcome of a review of facts, and will likely be severely punished if not also be dismissed entirely from the team. A fourth was cited for shoplifting, and he was punished by a one-game suspension, an appropriate punishment. I can see no room for criticism of Kiffin for the way he is handling these situations or the way he is meting out discipline and punishment. His behavior and actions are entirely appropriate.

Criticising Kiffin for a poor choice of words in describing the incidents to the press, saying that he should have used the term 'arrest' rather than 'incidents' is petty nit picking. At the time Kiffin made that comment, he apparently knew of Oliver's citation but viewed it as a private matter between he and Olivar - of relatively low importance - similar to a speeding citation or a failed drug test - in contrast to an incident of public arrests for armed robbery. There's a huge difference in Kiffin's - and my - mind regarding the 'incidents'. There's nothing more to it than that.

navarrebeachvol writes:

dude, you're kidding right? You must have some thick blinders on. Personally, I'm shocked any SEC team could go almost a year without an "incident". May be a record...well, maybe Vandy has done it.

Brillovol writes:

Unrelated to the "incident," but go Tyler Wolf!! As a Cookeville boy, I couldn't be more proud!

knoxvols#470315 writes:

I am a lawyer and being arrested is nowhere near the same as being cited. A citation usually stems from a misdemeanor and likely results in a monetary fine. Most of the people that post here are an embarrassment to UT. Don't think that you know something based on one incident in your life. This does not equal 3 years of law school. Understand that most cops are as clueless as the idiots who are committing the crimes - you usually can't trust the cop's version as being completely accurate. Cops are in the business of catching folks, whether they have done something wrong or not. Same with prosecutors but on a higher level. Until someone is tried and convicted or has plead guilty, you shouldn't judge. You simply can't assume someone's guilt based on the beliefs of cops and prosecutors. For examples, take a look at innocenceproject.org and all of the people that have served extensive prison terms, many on death row, that were completely exonerated by DNA evidence. And no, I am not a criminal defense lawyer and never have been. I have also never been cited or arrested.