Jackson back to practice, will start Saturday

The case is closed.

Janzen Jackson was cleared of all charges on Monday in an attempted armed robbery case, and one day later the Tennessee freshman was cleared to return to all team activities.

And his starting spot at free safety is waiting for him.

"As I've said before, we wanted to take our time and get all the information in regard to his situation," UT coach Lane Kiffin said in a prepared statement. "These were very serious allegations and we had to make sure we handled this properly.

"After an extensive and thorough investigation by the Knoxville Police Department and the District Attorney's office, they've cleared Janzen of any wrongdoing in this situation and he had no prior knowledge of this incident. Janzen will join team activities today. As I've said before, we hold our student-athletes to an extremely high standard on and off the field, and Janzen has seen the effect personal decisions had on his former teammates and he is excited to rejoin our team activities."

The Vols are likely just as excited to have him back in the fold because the defense has struggled in his absence and injuries are piling up.

UT hasn't looked nearly as dominant defensively with its regular starter at the back of the unit missing for three games, and Kiffin didn't hesitate when asked if Jackson would rejoin the first-team on Saturday at Kentucky (7 p.m., ESPNU).

"He's very rested," joked Kiffin, at his weekly press conference. "He'll be ready to play. He's a great player for us, and we expect him to have a really good week of practice and he'll contribute for us on special teams like he has."

Jackson hasn't had the chance lately. But the verdict is finally in for a return.

Jackson, 18, and UT student Marie Lynn Montmarquet, 22, had faced the charges after a botched holdup Nov. 12 at the Pilot convenience store on Cumberland Avenue. Both had those charges dropped Monday.

Former teammates Nu'Keese Richardson and Mike Edwards are still charged and have been dismissed from the team.

Jackson, 6-foot, 174 pounds from Lake Charles, La., had 33 tackles before missing the Ole Miss and Vanderbilt game during the suspension.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AFVol423 writes:

Suprise! We need him this weekend badly.

lahvolman2 writes:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

jovols writes:

This is AWSOME. Finally someone who can cover and tackle too. I am happy that we are allowing him back on the field. Hopefully now he will get to play too.

VolJunkie writes:

Good decision ...

Go Vols!

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to jovols:

oh he'll play....bank it

volfan2002 writes:

I think some people think this is very bad thing for Kiffin to do, but since he was not charged with any crime then he is not guilty of anything. You could say he missed two games already for nothing since it has been determined there is no curfew. I'm glad he is back though he needs to understand he needs to grow up and not put himself in bad situations.

memvolunteer writes:

Very mixed feeling here....I mean, we REALLY need him in there, but at what cost? I think Kiffin has managed the Vols great so far and I'm wondering if Jackson shouldnt at least sit out the next game (or the bowl game too) I hate to say but I bet we hear his name again in the next couple years and not in a good way, but hopefully this is a wake up call for him

beef4davols writes:

Get ready for a lot of verbal and illustrative abuse from UK fans...then knock the cr@p out of their players!!

gnm53108 writes:

Hot Damn!

montanavolfan writes:

Woah there Big Orange Fans, the only thing said was he reinstated not that he would travel or play. Lets wait and see before we get too excited. I do agree that since he was reinstated he should be allowed to play. Just not sure about the final decision yet.

tennesseebee writes:

Sure came at a good time. If Ky wins I will have to pack up and leave the Bluegrass. Been rubbing there smurfy noses in it for 25 yrs!

gvegasvol writes:

Sweet!

TrueVolFan writes:

Kiffin was asked specifically if he would start and he said, "Yes, he will START". Again, he was cleared of ANY wrongdoing and had NO knowledge what the other guys were going to do.

1974Vol writes:

Count down to troll response 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 ...

TrueVolFan writes:

Just finished watching the press conference live on wrcbtv.com and he will definately play! Kiffin was asked if he thought he would be ready by saturday and Kiff replied "Well, he's well rested". Gotta love the Kiff!

VOL78 writes:

good call coach

LEXKYVOLS writes:

Folks here in Lexington, they are counting this game as a win! Tickets are getting harder to come by. I am looking for 2-4 tickets in the Tennessee section!

VolinSuwanee writes:

Let's hope this youing man (and others in or joining the program) take this as a wake up call that you are many times guilty by association. Not sure I was real good with this at 18 but..... I know he had some issues earlier. Love the comment from the fan in KY. I have really enjoyed being a Vol fan in Georgia.

old_number1 writes:

Jackson has gotten a 2nd and now a 3rd chance to play. I hope he understands how lucky he is. Time will tell.

kevin151 writes:

great to have him back. The leash needs to be very tight though

montanavolfan writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

There you go Big Orange Fans, he is to start.

Biggie writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

Are you reading the same story I am? It says Kiffin said he will start Saturday.....too cold out there for ya?

CrankE writes:

Stay clean from here on Jackson. Please!

UT to Kentucky;
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a$h
...
...
and I'm all out of bubble gum."

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

Don't know about you but the title on my page said he will start Saturday. What are you reading?

VolJunkie writes:

in response to Biggie:

In this guy's defense, sometimes the stories on this board are updated as information becomes available ... and after someone has posted. CLK's "he will start" comment was not part of the original story. It happens ...

Go Vols!

VOLfanstuckinFL writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

Dude it actually says in the article Lane said he would play agianst the Kittens.

WytheVol writes:

in response to tonyvick#213307:

The original story showed he was only practicing. The part about him starting was an update...

VolfromtheBin writes:

in response to LEXKYVOLS:

I too am from Kentucky. UK fans are playing this out to be their National Championship. I don't think it will be that close of a game personally because I attended the UK vs. Miss. State game and watched Anthony Dixon run all over the CATS. Montario and Bryce will do the same, and our QB, WR, and Defense are all better than Miss. State. Plus they are Kentucky!

shipperman#280095 writes:

This kid has already had major issues. I realize we need his skills, but not sure this sends a good message since this is not his first offense of any kind. I would guess one more problem and he is history

VolinCalif writes:

in response to VolJunkie:

Good decision ...

Go Vols!

That's the only decision one could reach. The man had the charges dropped. That = not guilty, no matter what the trolls say.

BigBlueForLife writes:

in response to VolJunkie:

Good decision ...

Go Vols!

Can you all bring some extra hand cuffs on Saturday in case anymore of your players need some crack money? Please leave the pellet gun and Prius in Knoxville. What a terrible decision to bring this guy back. I guess the guy that said "we need to go" was a ghost of Fulmer past.

VolunTenMile writes:

OK, JJ, you've been given one more chance to make something of yourself. I suggest you have someone read that recent LaMarcus Coker article to you. Over and over.

Note to CLK - have someone babysit this numbnuts 24/7 for, say, the next three years.

Having said that, I fervently hope the young man has learned his lesson and will be a credit to Vol Nation until he goes on to stardom in the NFL. Good luck, JJ, and GBO!

WLafIndianavol writes:

This is great news!

Coach K handled this entire situation the correct way!

Go Vols; beat UK!

VolunteerLifer writes:

As far as I can tell from what we know now, Kiffin played this whole thing exactly right. Way to go, Coach.

ManWithIronLung writes:

I just dont know. I am sure glad to have him back. I just hope he doesnt mess up again, because we really need this guy not just for this season but the next few seasons.

innashville writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

CLK said he is back on the practice field today and will start on Sat against KY. Did you not hear that?

arlvol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Its all about the W's Shipperdude and he was 100% cleared by Knoxvegas' finest! I agree with u about one more problem and he's toast.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Plasticman. I think most will agree. But how would one know that their team mates were crooks? The problem I see is he was out in a bad environment. Looking for nukky just like we did at that age. One learns and I sure hope he has learned from this issue.

kiffownsfla writes:

glad your back!BOOK SAY FLY RITE JJ WE NEED YOU BRO!YOUR A DIFFERENCE MAKER!GO VOLZZZZZ! BOOK SAY MIX 1 !

TommyJack writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Nafffy, stop your lyin.

innashville writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Sometimes when you know you screwed up this bad it brings out the best in a young man. I would like to see him go out on Sat and have the best game he has had. I liked what coach said, 'he's well rested".

AceVentura writes:

in response to old_number1:

3rd chance? Are you referring to the failed drug test? Well you're allowed to fail 3 drug tests. That's the policy. So I still count this as his 2nd chance, hopefully he wont need anymore. Its not his 2nd bc of this but bc he

give_him_6 writes:

Welcome back son. I hope you've learned a valuble life lesson. Now go kick some Cat Butt!!!!

Vols05 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Trust him....he's a Doctor!!! Tell em Doc!

WestTennVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Agreed, he can't fail any more 'whiz quizzes'

gnm53108 writes:

Now if we could just learn that Al Wilson has one more game of eligability left.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Shipper. One must remember that this was not an offence. I know where there is smoke there is fire. But we must leave the slate clean unless something is proven. Not sure anyone likes that but the is the truly best way. So let the troll yell to high heaven if it were their player or son the tune wold be different.

BeRealistic writes:

in response to montanavolfan:

Whoa there yourself, if you read the news bulletin Kiffin said he would start Saturday.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

can't help but feel this is a classic cover up. The store clerk said he was acting weird. The victims stated he came over to give the "look out warning". I just wonder how or how much loot it took to pull it off. I like his playing style and I am glad to have him back, but like another poster stated, this feels destined to be a repeat performance. hope i'm wrong. on another note, how about that pop Stephaun Raines put on the vandy receiver in the 4th quarter. Brock Berlin on ESPNU said he heard it up in the booth.

volpreacher writes:

I know this has nothing to do with this, but did you guys hear about Jimmy Clausen getting into fight and getting a black eye after ND game?