Crompton kicks field goal for offense; 'surprise' for Berry against Kentucky

Tennessee held a light-hearted session at the end of practice Wednesday in which the offense and defense competed to convert a field goal attempt.

The offense was successful when quarterback Jonathan Crompton booted the ball through the uprights from about 20 yards. The defense was undone by a poor kick by cornerback Dennis Rogan, which Kiffin said barely made it to the line of scrimmage.

"The offense gets to eat tomorrow after practice," Kiffin joked afterwards.

Berry was the holder on Rogan’s field goal try.

"He was not a very good holder," Kiffin said.

Holding aside, there may be another role for Berry on Saturday.

"We have a surprise for you Saturday," Kiffin said, referring to Berry.

Kiffin declined to clarify. Berry carried the ball three times for 26 yards last year against Kentucky after lining up at quarterback.

Kiffin said cornerback Art Evans’ availability will be a game-time decision. Evans has a sore shoulder.

Defensive ends Ben Martin (hip) and Chris Walker (elbow) did not practice Wednesday. Walker suffered his injury during Tuesday’s practice.

Kiffin said linebacker LaMarcus Thompson practiced well Wednesday. The junior missed practice last week and the Vanderbilt game with a shoulder injury.

Kiffin said cornerback Marsalous Johnson (thumb) is fine and will play Saturday.

Kiffin was pleased with Wednesday’s practice.

"I thought practice was good today, a very spirited practice again," Kiffin said.

UT’s players will be released for Thanksgiving after a morning practice on Thursday. They will reconvene around noon Friday.

Austin Ward contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ringside writes:

Play loose and have fun Saturday! Go Vols!

bes4#389390 writes:

Perhaps EB is coming back next year after all? He didn't run through the "T" last Saturday!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to bes4#389390:

Well, we would love that but I still don't think that's gonna happen. Kiffin said HE has a surprise for Berry, not Berry has a surprise for Kiffin, in which case would be a surprise for us all. Besides, no one outside the team will know anything until Berry holds a press conference.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to bes4#389390:

Sorry, let me clarify: Kiffin said that he has a surprise for you for Saturday, referring to Berry, probably meaning that we'll see Berry in multiple roles on the field.

Deep strong safety perhaps? Gotta keep Randall Cobb in check, cause he can throw it deep too.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

(used to be supersmo18) :)

rudy123 writes:

I would love to see Berry get those last 8 yards on an interception return. I still think he is head and shoulders better than the FSU player.
It took him 4 yrs. to get the amount of yards that Berry has in 3 yrs.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

He actually said we not he, more than likely it's some kind of Wildcat or something but why not hope it's an announcement for "ONE MORE YEAR"

tloutn writes:

Not a surprise that Dennis missed the extra point. I don't think Fulton attempted even one the four years he was there. They should have faked it and ran it in. He's used to that!

pammyvol1000 writes:

EB to play QB!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Hopefully the surprise will be putting Berry in position to break the interception record.

Brillovol writes:

I'll take an Eric Berry Surprise anyday! I guess the Nu-Gun went "up in smoke," so it's time to roll back the clock a year! Go EB!

Brillovol writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

"Whyyyyyyyyyyyy...Whyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

jclowers writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

Best comment all year

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

Whatever the surprise is this Saturday, I doubt it will wallop me like seeing where Tennessee high school football ranked on this list...

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Well I'm back, but they apparently didn't like me calling people names, even if it is edited. (See above removed comment) :) Oh well, I guess kman29 is the only one that can get away with it.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to rudy123:

It took him 4 yrs. to get the amount of yards that Berry has in 3 yrs.

I still think we got screwed on the call against UGA that was called a "fumble & recovery" by EB. That would've been the record right there.

cloudodust writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

VolinCalif writes:

in response to PoochPuntOn3rdDown:

Thanks Poo. That is a great link.

Need_2_Know writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Don't know what game you watched, but it was clearly a fumble recovery rather than a pick. Not really a close call. Thinking we got screwed don't make it so.

That said, I'm as anxious as everyone else here to see EB get the record...he has earned it, especially with his selfless play this year that radically changed his opportunities to achieve that mark.

Go EB, Go Vols ! ! !

chrisw2967 writes:

EB throws TD on a trick plays and then he gets his pick and return yds to break the NCAA record and then announces he will be back for his Sr. year.
Sounds good to me.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Need_2_Know:

Go EB, Go Vols ! ! !

Well I was at the game, on the side of the field it happened on, so I didn't get to see all the replays everyone else did. Either way, I hope he gets that record soon. If he goes, I'd love for him to depart with another notch carved in the stock.

cobbwebb writes:

berry will play corner, and will be on cobb like a fly on shat, then he will play qb,wr,and rb on offense,in which he will score a td at all 3 positions, at halftime he will play second tuba in the pride of the southland, sometime around the 5 minute mark in the 3rd quarter, berry will break the int record with a 99 yrd return for a td, then he will return a punt for a td in the 4th qtr! after the game he will announce his return for his sr year, and then reveal he has a cure for swine flu! EB is the man !!!!!!!

old_number1 writes:

I'm thinking they will play him at different positions, including linebacker, to better use his tallents. With JJ back, it gives Monte the opportunity to move Berry around.

bigorange61 writes:

My guess is Berry and Jones have been running the wildcat in practice to simulate Kentucky. Our defense has to learn someway. I wouldn't be surprised to see the wildcat a time or two from us.

keepitreal4vols writes:

My neighbors son best friend has an uncle that said his ex-wife's boss at work had his secretary tell him about a conversation she and her husband had a few days ago with Mr. Cobb while they were both giving blood during the Orange and Blue Blood Drive at Medic. Mr. Cobb said that Coach Kiffin bought the Cobb family a Thanksgiving turkey and a Simon gift card in exchange for their son to let a deep ball fly on a "broken/busted" route in the 2nd Q. EB promises to just return it a few yards(15-20) and then go to the ground at 1st contact.
And then EB will be in the next series of offense to run our version of the wildcat and "mistakenly" throws into triple coverage and gives the ball back to KY.
No harm no foul And then its a Merry Christmas to us all.

No lie, my nieghbor wouldn't make that up.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Hope the "surprise" is a big azz-whooping of Ky.

After all, this could propel us to the Outback with a chance for 8 wins.

If so, I'll go clap-clap-clap.

Can't get a 2" aerial, however.

GBO.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

No harm no foul And then its a Merry Christmas to us all.

No lie, my nieghbor wouldn't make that up.

Wow! Now we all know the secret as that source has to be in the know! hahahaha
Happy Thanksgiving to all and Go Vols!

bmcreynolds#558786 writes:

in response to rudy123:

It took him 4 yrs. to get the amount of yards that Berry has in 3 yrs.

Considering Berry ONLY has 2 interceptions this year and less than 10 return yards, it really only took him 2 years to get the amount of yards he has, not 3 years.

lahvolman2 writes:

you know you really are just an instiGATOR..... I personally love how you are able to troll so effectivly and push all the sensitive Vol buttons all the time.... God... people on this site just LOVE to hate you... you must really be bored to death to have to spend so much time on here...

lahvolman2 writes:

last message for dthenc

punkin writes:

in response to dthenc:

Even when you try to be nice, you still come off as a jerk.

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to punkin:

Even when you try to be nice, you still come off as a jerk.

dthenc.... see what I mean???????

TommyJack writes:

in response to lahvolman2:

dthenc.... see what I mean???????

He's just doing his job.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to dthenc:

Damn dthenc, you sick or somrthing? Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

volfan7 writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

I think we are forgetting that Eric Berry is training to be a dentist. This takes many years of preparation and specialized training. I think Berry will forego an NFL career to become a practicing dentist. This means he will be back for his senior year.

Pdiddy10 writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

berry is dropping in the draft picks. mel kiper now has him sixth. he was first at the beginning of the year. im sorry, but wouldn't you want to take ndamukong suh over berry? i would take a lot of defensive players over berry. i think he should defenetly stay another year. to improve his draft choice. im sorry, its not that i am greedy, but he probably would get a higher pick if he is more experience.
think about it, 2 years on montes defense... omg
DOMINATION!!! he would murder. stay eric berry!
beat kentucky! win a bowl!! go vols!

HartfordCTvol writes:

My only hope in this game is that they don't have that same group of clowns officiating it that they did for Vandy!! Oh no! Mike Slive's outside my window and heard me! The're gagging me! Attica! Attica!

DaveVol writes:

Go Vols

snuffysmiff writes:

WTVF in Nashville is reporting "Kiffin Says Eric Berry Has Surprise Planned" for the fans Saturday, not Kiffin has a surprise for Berry. I am waiting with bated breath hoping he will announce he's playing another year for the Vols.

Ringside writes:

in response to snuffysmiff:

I hope you are right! Berry/Jackson one more year would be a nightmare on opposing defenses.
I heard a rumor that Nick Saban was being mentioned in South Bend. Not Meyers.

Ringside writes:

in response to Ringside:

I heard a rumor that Nick Saban was being mentioned in South Bend. Not Meyers.

Sorry, meant opposing offenses.

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Thats funny Doc! It might be the Wild Berry! GBO!

BigOrangeGhostHunter writes:

in response to Fryinpansvols:

Thats funny Doc! It might be the Wild Berry! GBO!

I LIKE THAT ONE! LMAO!!!

BigOrangeGhostHunter writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

BECAUSE YOU OF COURSE ARE SUCH AN AMAZING WIDEOUT THAT YOU WOULDN'T DROP A BALL. YOU TALK A GOOD GAME, BUT MY GUESS IS YOUR JUST SITTING ON YOUR COUCH WATCHING FOOTBALL WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT BEING CRITICAL OF YOUNG MEN WHO ARE BUSTING THEIR BUTTS TO WIN FOR FANS LIKE US. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME POSTING IF YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE TO SAY.

2407westTN_VOLSfan writes:

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Vols Friends!
Now GBO and beat KY for the 25th time in a row!
I don't get ESPNU, anyone know if the game is on the web somewhere?

2407westTN_VOLSfan writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

I don't take anything you say serious. You will be critical of Peyton Manning one minute and then down another Vol member the next. You sir are not a VOL FAN. Please change your name. If you want to donate a million to the team like Peyton did, then we will take you serious! Otherwise you are RobEl pathetic fan!

Jwoody423 writes:

in response to bes4#389390:

Actually, he did run through the "T". He led the team, he was just surrounded by police officers.