Weekend visitors list: Vols host talented trio

With 21 commitments, Tennessee's coaches are focused on the best players in the nation to fill out their 2010 class. The Vols are expected to sign about 28 prospects.

UT is planning on hosting three official visitors for Saturday's game against Auburn. All are considered elite prospects.

Some consider Matt Elam the top prospect in Florida. The 6-foot, 205-pound safety from Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been committed to Florida for nearly a year. Yet UT convinced Elam to take an official visit to Knoxville.

The Vols have been in the hunt with linebacker Jeff Luc for months. The 6-1, 230-pound standout from Treasure Coast High School in Port St. Lucie, Fla., is considered one of the top linebacker prospects in the nation and is considering UT, Florida, Florida State, Miami, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and Southern California among others.

Safety Dietrich Riley has official visits scheduled to Notre Dame and Washington later this fall, meaning the Vols will get a chance to make the first impression on an official visit. The 6-1, 200-pound safety is from St. Francis High School in La Canada, Calif.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GreeneCountyVol writes:

After they meet the Kiffin's and Eric Berry, they will be ours.

VOLnyc writes:

Is anybody else worried the UF commit will try to recruit the other visiting recruits this weekend to go to Florida? Or am I just being paranoid?

doubledown writes:

What's with all the safeties? don't we need Offensive Lineman next year(s) like a big way??

CRFVols writes:

Urbie probably just told him to take the visit and see what's it like so it won't be new when he comes there with UF. If Urbie knows of the visit.

But whatever...let's keep brining in top talent.

Go Vols beat auburn!

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to doubledown:

Two words.

Monte Kiffin.

gnm53108 writes:

K-Town needs to be rockin.

Would love to get Luc,but keep a spot open for Leifheit.

Beat dem war tigers!

Kawryder20 writes:

Luc would be HUGE! If we can land him and a few O-lineman our class will be great! Can't wait for saturdays game. Section N here I come!! GO VOLS!

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to VOLnyc:

It's the chance you take. However, I remember alot of people saying the same thing about Nukeese back in January and look what happened.

qspr91iz writes:

These are great players and I definitely want Jeff Luc to sign with us. Where are the o-lineman like Stone, Leifheit, Robinson and Moses?? I'm sure that this staff will finish strong by signing day.
GO VOLS!!!!

whatcanbrowndoforyou writes:

I've been hearing about this trio coiming all week and am glad to here it's finally official they will be there. If someway we could land these three we would have an unbelievable defense real quick. Crowd needs to be crazy saturday to show these guys what big orange nation is all about. Real em into the Fast Lane, Kiffin

VOLFANINBAMALAND writes:

Watch out...a BAMA recruit is decommitting this weekend and some reports around here are saying that Kiffin may have convinced another one to jump ship and get on the LaneTrain.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I guess this means lil urbie's cell phone will be on auto redial this weekend. I hope the two prospects from florida change phones for their visit, otherwise lil urbie will be butting in incessantly. After all, he has an open date and nothing else to do but what he likes most to do - disturb prospect's visits to other schools.

Vol86 writes:

in response to VOLnyc:

Don't worry. I would think the UF fans should be alot more worried. Kiffin and co. will be great recruiters.

volsfan4ever writes:

in response to qspr91iz:

GO VOLS!!!!

We've still got 7 spots left.monte needs a great LB for the future.I don't think we've got a great shot at elam,but I think we've got a pretty good shot at riley.If we sign luc and riley,that will leave 5 spots.enough for 1 more QB and 4 Lineman.I have a feeling TJ leifeit and juwan james(who had previously committed to alabama) will sign.The other 2?..

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Should either Fla youngster opt to become a Vol, they "automatically" will be designated as "not good enuf", we didn't really want them" or "they would have always been back-ups".

Vol86 writes:

in response to DaMan:

Or he will be told that Fl fans can not stop themselves from comming to our site

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

I heard Troop on Sports Page this AM. What ever happened to the "spotted ape"?

Volsrbest writes:

28 is the number of recruits a school is allowed to enroll in the fall. Anyone who enrolls in mid-term (Jan) does not count against the number of 28. In other words, we can sign more than 28 if we want or need to as long as they enroll early.

Go Vols!!

rshoptaw writes:

in response to GreeneCountyVol:

After they meet the Kiffin's and Eric Berry, they will be ours.

One can only hope. We could use some more linebackers, being that most of ours don't last too long. That's the toughest position to play in the SEC in my opinion.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Defense wins Championships. Maybe that is the thinking. And if our Offense can't stay on the field we need extreme depth on the "D".

No mattter who plays QB next year, they will be inexperienced.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Volsrbest:

Go Vols!!

I am pretty sure we can only sign 25 a year plus 3 that you can use from the previous year. The Juco's will be mid term enrollees. They changed the rules because of what Mississippi did by getting 37 players and then having them either gray shirt or go to a JC. Not sure about the new rules, but I know it does restrict the overall number of kids that a team can sign. Their is some room for non qualifiers but not as much as there was last year.

vol_chaz writes:

Paint the rock, no booing, represent against the Barn....Bring Luc to Rocky Top..lets play our part...

Ironcity writes:

We need Luc. I am not sold on any of our linebackers at this time. They may turn out good but it never hurts to add talented players at a position of need. As for the offensive line I will bet we end up with 4 to 5 before its all said and done. I'll bet Stone and Leifhart will be here as well as a couple JC linemen and lets not forget Jose Jose.

lowman4vols writes:

in response to Volsrbest:

Go Vols!!

you're wrong and we only have 27 total scholarships to give so we can't even sign the maximum number of 28.

lowman4vols writes:

in response to Volsrbest:

Go Vols!!

we only have 27 scholarships available for the 2010 season unless we have some cuts or transfers.

kevin151 writes:

BOOOOO Crapton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRFVols writes:

Who wants to bring up old s**t??

Sorry....just thought it was funny.

Cldvols1 writes:

Sounds good, now all we need is the Vol faithful to become our passionate 12th man and get a WIN:) Go Vols!!!

OrangePride writes:

This is a great group and we Tennessee fans have a special opportunity to be loud, orange, and INFLUENTIAL! I honestly believe that one of the big reasons Bryce Brown is here was the crowd support on his visit. And for goodness sakes, if JC makes some mistakes or throws another INT, don't boo! Let's really show them why Tennessee is the place they want to be!!! GO VOLS!

VOL03_NC writes:

IN RESPONSE: ABOVE
I think these guys are "in it" for themselves. They are simply working to put themselves in a better position for the next level. Negitive is not going to get these guys. Positive is and WILL!!

GO VOLS!!!

UTBEATEMALL writes:

Each school is only allowed to bring in 28 recruits per year now. We need Keenan Allen (DB), Morgan Moses (OL), TJ Leifheit (OL), Jeff Luc (LB), Cameron Newton (QB), Dexter Ransom (WR), and . Don't be suprised if this is how it pans out! Luc would probably choose Florida over UT, but UT and others will make it clear to him that Charlie Strong will get a head coaching job within the next two years and he should go to UT where he'll get a great DC that's not going anywhere! Cam Newton will prove his situation is where it needs to be and I believe he'll bring his teammate Dexter Ransom with him. Leifheit could commit at any moment and Morgan Moses is a sinch to me! Keenan Allen will be our suprise get!

Down_The_Field writes:

elam and riley have LB writen all over them.

elam's worth a shot after NR. give this kid a list of our current depth chart at LB and then show him the list of flar-duh's current depth chart which is the size of the dictionary.

then show him our dorms and then show him the trailer park he'll live at in gaynsvul.

then show him the running water, electricity, and cable he'll have in knoxville.

then show him our cheer leaders in SIs last swim suit issue and then a picture of the toothless Gator cheer leading squad grazing in ben, joe, bob, hill, frank, griffin, parker stadium.

...and if logic sinks in, he should pause.....and think....

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

I've heard talk that Lane is holding three more scholarships specifically for O-Linemen, so there's no need to worry about having offers for them. We could possibly bring in 31 new players, with Tyler Bray, T.J. Leifheit, and one more player enrolling in January. If anyone other than Eric Berry turns pro early (and I don't know who that would be) we could have more.

I hope we get Jeff Luc... and I think we have a great case for him for three big reasons- 1. Working under both Monte Kiffin and Lance Thompson, both who have a huge track record of success with linebackers. 2. Greg King got a start as a true freshman...we WILL start a freshman if he's earned the spot. and 3. We lose Nick Reveiz and Rico McCoy, meaning there will be two new openings at linebacker.

I'd like Elam, but mainly to spite Florida.... I hope we get either Riley or Elam off of this.

murrayvol writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

If the other guys can't score, it makes winning infinitely easier.

We're in on a lot of offensive players. They're just not here this weekend.

crappieking writes:

in response to DaMan:

Da "I sleep with a" Man = Dschbag

arlvol writes:

in response to DaMan:

DaMan = Dbag

arlvol writes:

in response to crappieking:

Da "I sleep with a" Man = Dschbag

great minds think alike!

in response to LawCoVol:

Right now, we need all the elite players we can get on either side of the ball. If I were building a team, I would prefer to be strong on defense first, but maybe that's just me. We are still in on several good OLs and I am sure we will get a couple of them; a couple of guys we are recruiting for the DL will also probably switch to the O-line. For that matter, we may not get any of these guys, so we will still have plenty of room for the offensive guys we need.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

I have Nick Reveiz listed as a Junior, so we don't lose him next year.

tennezz writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Defensive linemen make quick, fast offensive linemen!

bowlinggreenvol writes:

in response to UTBEATEMALL:

Kennan Allen doesn't seem to have any interest in us at this point. He and his other 2 or 3 teammates all love Oregon and all plan on taking officials there so it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them end up there together. Other than them he's pretty much narrowed it down to Clemson and Bama. But with this staff I'll never concede anyone till they sign...i.e. Fulmer.

GahLee writes:

Luc and Elam are elite players...if we could somehow pry them from Florida, it would be HUGE!

They would start immediately for us.

smokyredbone writes:

I want Elam!!! Mostly because it would be a swift kick in the rocks to Crybaby Meyer and Turd nation, but also because he is a player. Turd Nation is about to watch it's second team go from 2 NC's to obscurity in the flash of an eye!!! LMFAO!!! What happened to the 63-3 write it down boy!! I know we didn't beat those chumps this year, but we served notice it won't be long.

smokyredbone writes:

howdy

chaos001 writes:

in response to doubledown:

i bet some of these defensive lineman get moved to the o-line.

chrisw2967 writes:

If Urbie finds out he is here he will start calling this kid while he is on campus

al2476 writes:

in response to DaMan:

DaMan, You are a complete arse and a typical Gaytu*d.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

in response to VOLnyc:

I'll bet that Kiffin makes them turn OFF their cell phones to prevent Meyer from calling!

With UF losing their entire starting defense next year, these kids can probably get early playing time.

jimr07 writes:

in response to VOLnyc:

jimr07 writes:

in response to doubledown:

have you notified the coaching staff? i think they would like your input