Elam impressed with official visit

Tennessee didn’t pick up a football commitment from its talented trio of visitors this past weekend but clearly made an impression with Matt Elam.

“The fans were crazy. I talked with Monte Kiffin and watching Eric Berry,” the 6-foot, 205-pound safety from Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., said Sunday when asked what stood out about his UT visit.

Elam, who committed to Florida almost a year ago, said he is considering UT, Florida State and West Virginia. Elam will take his official visit to Florida State this weekend. He took an official visit to West Virginia last month.

Elam said he still considers himself a Florida commitment, but a great talk with UT’s coaches, particularly defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, this weekend and the lure of playing defense at West Virginia has him thinking.

“I said that before I had a talk with Monte Kiffin,” Elam said of his commitment. “I committed there because I wanted to be there but I looked around and other things caught my attention.”

Elam said Kiffin will be an important factor in his decision.

“That’s very important to me because he has the connections with all the NFL teams,” Elam said. “He can basically get any player into the NFL. And he’ll do what he has to do. He put Eric Berry in position to make plays to show NFL scouts how good he is.”

Recruiters will have to work fast on Elam. He plans to enroll in college in January and expects to make a final decision in late November or early December.

UT also hosted two other official visitors: Jeff Luc, the 6-1, 230-pounder from Treasure Coast High School in Port St. Lucie, Fla., and Dietrich Riley, the 6-1, 200-pound safety from St. Francis High School in La Canada, Calif.

The Vols also hosted several unofficial visitors.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Don't you just love verbal commitments. Until these kids sign a letter of intent anything is possible. Sounds like the lure of playing for Monte Kiffin at least has Elam interested. It would be nice to pull in Luc though.
After watching the Byrnes versus St. Thomas Aquinas game I think that Corey Miller will be a beast. This young man has plenty of upside.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Sounds like Monte Kiffin left an impression on Elam. He would be a nice pickup. Until a kid signs a letter anything is possible.

bnakk#240693 writes:

If he can basically get anybody into the NFL I'm calling Monte tomorrow. My stats 47 Yrs Old...runs 40 in 10.2 seconds, vertical leap 2 inches, weight - 180 lbs with only about 5 lbs too much around the middle.

BerryFan_14 writes:

in response to bnakk#240693:

HA HA Thats pretty funny. Im callin him too lol

GO VOLS!!!

Bigger_Al writes:

Now when the kid says "anybody", he means a standard top college prospect, and not all of those, even the 5*'s, make the NFL. His point that playing in Monte's pro defense, learning from him, and benefitting from Monte's contacts will get him more ready for the NFL than anywhere else is absolutely true.

I'm hoping we have a good chance at Luc. He's from Tampa, so you figure he's a Buc fan first and foremost. The guy that coached his favorite Buc's is in Knoxville.

TennesseeJed writes:

Just remember that if Elam becomes a VOL, it will be because UF fans opened the door for him to leave when they bad-mouthed him on their forums for visiting UT.

MurfreesboroVol writes:

in response to TennesseeJed:

Jed,
You hit it on the head. Vol fans need to realize a lot of people read these boards including prospects and their parents. When we bad mouth our team or our coaches it comes back to bite us. I was not happy with what I saw in Knoxville on Saturday but I did see a lot of young talent on the field for the Vols. Lets be patient and support our boys.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to MurfreesboroVol:

Jed,

I really think KNS and this website could help alleviate some of the negativity by screening the posters better and removing some of the negative comments coming from the interlopers and "trolls". It would also be nice to see more positive stories come out rather than the things that "sell newspapers". JMO

bluetick writes:

Players make it to the NFL because they are good enough to make it to the NFL, not because someone recommended them. They still have to earn their way to the big league. By the coaching staff saying they know how to get players in the NFL doesn't mean making a phone call.. Please give me a break! That is absurd!

mcever writes:

in response to Urban_Troll:

Its douche bags like you that make me want to hate UF now, I respect every SEC team, but for all the trolls on this site, they are all UF fans... Get some class and go elsewhere, fairweather fan... probably didn't care anything about the Gators until they started winning, and won't care about them when they start losing.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to mcever:

Sir,you are so right.Most all fans,whether it be Florida or our own , are nothing more than fans that are only fans when things go right.Try going through Bill Battle and for the most part Johnny Majors.If you could stomach those two,you were real fans.

kentuckyorange writes:

Any of the kids that visited last weekend would be a good get. These are 17 year old kids getting advice from everywhere on what college to pick. Verbal commitments are nice to talk and think about but mean absolutely nothing. It wouldn't shock me if we lose 2-3 more of our current "solid commitments" but we should end up with a great class in 2010 regardless, thanks in part to a decommit or two from other schools

huntined#565710 writes:

All schools will have some leave one program for another;;We all win some and lose some as these kids try to see where they really want to go. We just need to relax till Feb and see what we end up with..

in response to triumphtheinsultcomicdog:

IMHO, you are a clear cut above the general run of Florida trolls we get on here. For what my opinion is worth, you are welcome on here any time.

As for your comment on the taunting rule, if you are talking about the LSU-UGA game, I am with you 100%. I thought neither one of those calls were legit and they definitely affected the outcome of the game. After the refs made the call on the LSU guy, it was almost as if they made the call on the UGA guy as a "make-up", which of course just compounded the original error. Seems the refs need to brush up on the difference between understandable celebration in a tough, emotional game and taunting. There IS a difference, but I guess it's too much to ask that refs exercise a little, you know, JUDGMENT! I was glad to see that the SEC head official admitted the calls were wrong, but that is scant consolation to UGA.

learnron#236127 writes:

in response to smokeybones:

Smokey,
There is an article on GB this AM which has Elam reconfirming his Fl committ. He plans to enroll in Jan.