Ex-UT commitment Irvin: 'I just felt like ASU wanted me more'

A day after losing to Auburn, Tennessee lost one of its highest-rated football commitments.

Bruce Irvin told the News Sentinel via text message he felt more wanted at Arizona State so he committed to be a Sun Devil after his official visit to Tempe this weekend.

“I just felt like ASU wanted me more and I can come in and make an impact,” Irvin texted.

Irvin is considered one of the top junior college prospects in the nation. He committed to UT in May and said he did so, in part, because the Vols were the first to offer him a scholarship.

More recently, Irvin said he hasn’t been happy with his contact from UT. Irvin said he hasn’t heard from UT’s coaches in three weeks.

“UT never called me or showed me any interest like they wanted me before today,” Irvin texted Sunday.

A source close to Irvin’s recruitment said the two parties talk more frequently.

Irvin said he’s excited about the Sun Devils’ plan to utilize him. Irvin said UT had asked the 6-foot-4, 230-pounder to get up to 260 pounds and focus on being a pass-rushing defensive end.

“I can do so much more than just rush the passer,” Irvin texted.

Irvin took an unofficial visit to UT and said he doubts he’ll take an official visit. The Vols will try to convince him otherwise, as verbal commitments are non-binding. However, Irvin plans to enroll in January.

Irvin will have two years of eligibility and a redshirt season, if necessary. He is from Stone Mountain, Ga. He is enrolled at Mt. San Antonio Community College in Walnut, Calif.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

EB4Heisman writes:

That's not good

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

This dropped us to #7 on Scout's team rankings. They have him ranked as a 5-start DE junior college transfer.

InertGas writes:

See ya'.

andy112382#209793 writes:

He was already a soft verbal, at least over this past week, maybe longer.

I wonder if grades play any part in this.

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

in response to PlaidinOrangeandWhite:

sorry... 5-star that is.

RockinTop writes:

and they will continue so long as Kiff continues with Crompton and implying no one on the bench is any better at QB and all hope is on a freshman QB he MIGHT land.....what a shame.

tensie2004 writes:

How many more are we going to lose? Did he de-committ because our lack of success on the playing field or because ASU will play him in more than one position? Make one wonder

HtownVol writes:

And it begins. Commits are going to see that Kiffin doesnt use his players well.

Ironcity writes:

We will get a number of commits from other teams and lose a few before Feb. Its just how the game is these days. The word commitment doesn't mean much anymore. In recruiting circles a commitment means "please reserve me a spot while I figure out what I really want to do".

tennezz writes:

Hate to hear this, He`s going to be a good one! Oh well everyone loses some of these early commits! There`s plenty of time for him to change his mind again! We will still have a great year recruiting and get us closer to where we need to be on talent. I know there is a big letdown after the Auburn game, but I saw some positives, Crompton looked a lot better in the hurry up offense and we will see a lot more of it! We are short on talent in a lot of areas, but It`s going to get better after this year!

HtownVol writes:

We are still going to be fine on D. I just hope we keep all the Offensive players, and Land some good Linemen.

brunovol writes:

This kid visited West Virginia earlier this week and he was about to commit to them after his visit. "I'm not so sure about this Tennessee thing" was his comment so it's no suprise to see him commit after his visit to ASU. Sounded like he was wavering even before his visit yesterday so the game last night had little impact. As far as I know he has not even visited UT so the way he flip flops he will end up signing with the team his last visit is with.

57TexasVol writes:

in response to PlaidinOrangeandWhite:

we were #7 on Scout's Team Rankings...

diamond_dave35#235769 writes:

in response to EB4Heisman:

That's not good

$&it rolls down hill from here on..at least until we get a real coach

blitzshoot writes:

Good luck in Tempe young man. I hope you find what you are looking for. We'll leave the light on.

gohawks1 writes:

Moving from position to position ain't gonna help your NFL stock. Just a thought....

Voluvr writes:

I can deal with getting beat. I have a harder dealing with stubborn.

Would the UT baseball coach stick with his best pitcher if he couldn't find the plate and was walking in runs? Not hardly. Take out Coach Killer Crompton and give Red a chance. Maybe he'll strike a spark.

We're still fine. We just need a QB. With good QB play, we've got 4 or 5 wins already.

Losing a Juco isn't as bad as losing a freshman.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to RockinTop:

First of all Crompton won't effect any recruit we are seeking, he will be graduating.

Second, this is a defensive guy with a chance to play for Monte Kiffin, we have 8 DL still committed and are being looked at hard by a few other 4 & 5 star DL's, so I don't think Crompton had anything to do with this.

And one decommitt and it is a disaster I suppose, huh?

andy112382#209793 writes:

All the trolls freak out! Ahhhh!!! End of the world for the trolls!!!

nashvols writes:

in response to tensie2004:

I don't think this has anything to do with Kiffin or our lack of success on the field. ASU has wins against Idaho State and Louisiana-Monroe - losses to UGA and Oregon State. It's not like we lost this guy to a exceptional team. There's usually more to the story in these things and this just doesn't concern me much.

Down_The_Field writes:

good! don't let the southwest air flight door hit your heals on the way out. i hear a lot of "i" in your words and the letter "i" just aint in the word team.

now, if we can get witch doctor to clone another nick revazzzzzz that'll suit me fine.

vol_chaz writes:

Some people need to find a different board to troll, and a new team to pull for.

kiffownsfla writes:

WOW! And fulmer didnt want us divided and clk has snuke in like a thief in the night and shattered vol nation.and ive read everything from he is playn us for a buyout to he is the 3rd ANTI CHRIST! Which every it may be i question his head coaching ability and what his plans here at ut?he can change a shirt at halftime but not the Qb ? fashion statement we gota long rough road men and woman!

huntined#565710 writes:

Hate to lose one as high as he is rated but we will lose some and gain some that is just the way it goes..I want to thank the croud that was at the game this week as I live in Fla and a night game is just out for me but I think that is as loud as I have heard the fans in a long time THANKS

kiffownsfla writes:

Ive said this b4 and ill say it again when hammy gets OUSTED FULMER WILL BE THE NEW AD. So think what u will but its coming

utchris writes:

This has nothing to do with our performance. This has to do with being eligible. It was unlikely he was going to meet the SEC JUCO transfer eligibility requirements.

AFVol423 writes:

Lose games, lose recruits. Ask Fulmer. You win in the game, you win in recruiting. The house of cards is starting to shake.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to RockinTop:

Well said.

amstelman writes:

We win some, we lose some. Some kids make the right decision, some kids can't deal with the challenges ahead. Neither can some so-called fans.

musicjl#606296 writes:

Sounds to me like it is all about him and what he wants to do. He didn't like the way our staff planned to use him. Also, who knows but what our coaching staff may have cooled on him too. AT any rate, Just remember, Alabama and Florida have lost a couple of verbals already too, and they are playing great. I don't think it is due to the games. I'm sure our staff, knowing our lack of QB/WR and depth warned the recruits that we were thin this year so I don't think they are going to all run off. If anything it will show them the opportunity for early playing time. Rarely do first-year coaching staffs come in and have success, unless the cupboard happens to be left full. And ours wasn't.

Just remember that Nick Saban was 6-6 in the regular season his first year and still reeled in one of the top recruiting classes the next year.

Razzle writes:

in response to tc1:

And what about Arizona State's poor showing last night?

great2batnvol writes:

You all are unbelievable!!! Talking about some wavering fip floppers on here. Give this thing a chance. I was at game last night and we DON'T have the talent we once had period. If you all can't see that shame on you. Boy's, this is driving me just as crazy as you all but let's try and be patient and pull this thing together. It's obvious that this thing may take a year or two to get back on track. Fulmer didn't go 5-7 two out of the three years for no reason. He lost it guys and we need to give this staff a chance to turn it around. Where are the playmaker's left over from Fulmer other than Hardesty on offense? That's right WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!! Accept it and move on. Let's pull together and move this thing forward. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

What championship has Arizona St ever competed for? Baseball?

sigma2 writes:

I'm starting to wonder if the people that post on this board know anything about football at all. Alabama has lost commits in the last couple of weeks we gained some from Florida last year so with the reasoning on this board Saban and Myer should both be fired.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

For the non-salesmen on this post....when this staff is going after elite prospects and trying to sway them from the UF's, U. of SoCal's, LSU's, Texas's, and Bama's of the country they are telling these kids:

At Tennessee they'll get a quality education.
To play on T.V. every week.
To play in front of 100,000 fans.
Coached by a staff with N.F.L. experience.
Under a head coach and assistant head coach that has been part of 4 national championship (CLK & CEO=2 at USC and CEO=2 at U of Miami) and one of the greatest NFL defensive minds with a Super Bowl Championship a la CMK.
A head coach that coached 2 Heisman Trophy Winners.
Most importantly they are selling the opportunity to play as freshmen in the S.E.C. because of the lack of talent currently on the roster.

When these recruits are looking at Tennessee they see this team is competitive. I know some are snickering at that but think about it:

There has not been a blow out by any means (FLORIDA).
The defense even though has little depth has been the ANCHOR of this team and played solid every week.
We have a regenerated power run game (which had been non-existent under Fulmer of late).
And finally a passing game that is now REALLY showing a lack of trust by WR's from sorry QB play.

If you think these kids do not see opportunity to play in the S.E.C. at Tennessee, compete against the elite teams in the country rather than sit the bench for them for a few years you are crazy.

In away if you are selling to a kid and his family you're rebuilding a broken historic football program....it doesn't hurt your chances with an open minded kid if you're program is falling short of a win by a few points....this allows you to tell the recruit this is why we desperately need your skill set here at Tennessee.

These recruits can see that this team is close to being a decent QB away from being 3-1 and a top 20 team. It is ONE QB AWAY....remember that because that is what this staff is selling to these recruits.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

YEP!

hbvol writes:

in response to musicjl#606296:

I think you are right on target.
We need kids who are team players, not head cases with it's all about me attitudes. There are a BUNCH of other good defensive players we are recruiting so don't sweat it.
Now if Tyler Bray recants, you can start sweating...

CB4VOLZ writes:

in response to sicemsmokey:

what a frigging idiot you are.... I hope smokey bites you in the arse...

VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT writes:

All of you make me sick. Lousy negative basstards

coachck61 writes:

The first of many to come,by the end of the season we"ll be lucky to be ranked in the top 50.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

and when has espn not done this to Tennessee?

MTN_MAN_VOL writes:

We will not know if we have lost or won what recruits until Feb. 2010. Think about it a minute before you jump off the roof....

DingoVol writes:

Watched the Byrnes vs St. Thomas Aquinas game Friday night. We have 2 absolute monsters coming in. Couldn't be blocked. Our kicker from St. Thomas kicked every kickoff out of the endzone.

IslandVol writes:

Even though this is bad news, you don't build a program with JUCO guys, so I'm not too busted up about it. People come and go at this stage in the recruiting process. He will probably change his mind a few more times.

duncanvol writes:

never good to loose 5 star players.this is not a problem tho cory miller and brandon willis are beast!they both play at my daughters h.s. burns. cory miller wears a size 18 shoe and is long and fast like kearse. the freak!

lomas98 writes:

All of these guys are soft verbals until Feb. Certainly not the first guy to change his mind.

Razzle writes:

in response to VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT:

All of you make me sick. Lousy negative basstards

Most of these negative 'experts' on here are fans of other teams such as Bama, Fla., Vandy, etc.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

in response to sicemsmokey:

Eric missed his share of tackles, solid hits , and picks Saturday...and that was on him, not Kiffin or staff.

beartn#223846 writes:

I wouldn't over react to this. We have changed some verbals from other schools to us. We are bound to lose a verbal to another school.

I'm also sure that QB's and WR's have to think they will play immediately, so I think we get another high profile QB and WR before February.

FWBVol writes:

I agree with the other poster that more or less said it sounds like this guy is an ego trip. The kid claims UT coaches haven't called him in three weeks, but someone close to him said the coaches have talked to him on a regular basis during that time. Go figure.

Yes, it's nice to get the guys with all the stars next to their names, but a lot of times the guys have an equal number of stars next to their egos. It might be better for this kid to be another's team headache.