Brown takes high road on low blow

Vol was the victim of Auburn chop block

Wes Brown diplomatically called it part of the game. Coach Lane Kiffin was at least glad Auburn was punished for it.

Brown, Tennessee's senior defensive tackle, was the victim of a chop block on Auburn's first offensive possession Saturday night.

Brown was just glad he was able to recover and get back on the field, even though he didn't like the outcome, a 26-22 Auburn victory.

A chop block is an illegal block. It occurs when a defensive player is engaged above the waist with one offensive blocker and a second blocker hits the defender in the legs.

Auburn junior Ryan Pugh was penalized 15 yards on the play.

"When I was running off the field . . . '' Brown said Monday, then caught himself and laughed.

"When I was limping off the field, I was pretty (angry). I'm a competitor just like every one of these guys, just like Auburn was. I was pretty upset. I didn't know if I'd be able to play the rest of the day.''

Or ever, he might have added.

Brown is almost playing on borrowed time now, with surgically repaired knees.

"It's unfortunate, especially who it happened to,'' Kiffin said. "I think it's very common knowledge that he's had a lot of knee issues, a lot of injuries.

"I thought the referees did a good job of picking it up. Sometimes that stuff gets missed.''

Saturday was apparently not Pugh's first chop block. He was penalized in Auburn's Chick-Fil-A Bowl win over Clemson to end the 2007 season. There's a replay on youtube.com.

Brown said getting chopped wasn't as great a threat when he played defensive end the first three years of his career. He moved inside to tackle this season.

"I know all about 'em now,'' he said. "I was rushing on the guard and the next thing I know my leg's in the air and my knee buckled on me.

"It was tough, but that's part of football. When you decide to play the game that's going to happen.''

Brown, who is from Athens, Ala., said he looked at Pugh but didn't say anything.

"I know most of their offensive linemen from recruiting,'' he said. "They came up to me and said, 'We wasn't trying to do nothing.' ''

Brown sat out one series and rode an exercise bike until his knee loosened up.

"I was just lucky to get back out there,'' he said.

Lincoln Hurting: A quadriceps muscle issue was a factor in Daniel Lincoln missing a 39-yard field-goal attempt against Auburn.

Lincoln hadn't kicked all week in practice. Kiffin said the staff considered going with a back-up against Auburn but the back-up didn't perform well in practice.

"Guys not being able to practice during the week and then not playing well, we've seen that with a number of guys,'' Kiffin said. "Now we've seen it with our kicker.''

No Flag Day: Tennessee has one decisive statistical edge over Georgia - penalties.

The Vols rank No. 3 in the nation in fewest penalty yards per game. UT has been penalized 18 times for 144 yards, an average of 28.8 per game.

Georgia ranks 115th of 120 teams in total penalties - 48 for 373 yards. That's an average of 9.6 penalties for 74.6 yards per game.

A celebration penalty after a touchdown was critical in Georgia's loss to LSU on Saturday.

"We talk about it all the time,'' Kiffin said. "I don't know how you could talk about penalties more than we do. Playing smart and making good decisions.

"That's great to see our guys playing with discipline. This week is going to be a big challenge for us because of Georgia. We can't get in that kind of game with a bunch of penalties. We've got to continue to do what we've done.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vol4good#206163 writes:

Good for you Wes! Keep fighting the good fight! You dont have to talk big to be BIG! One proud fan in Athens, Alabama! GO VOLS!

troken writes:

Auburn by far has injured more players by chop blocking than any other team in the SEC. I hope that phooey would have left with Tubberville, but Pugh is a dirty player....

crimsonviper writes:

in response to troken:

The barners do love their chop blocks,that is for sure.
I commend Wes Brown,he is more of a man than I am.Someday Ryan Pugh will get his.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

this play made me so mad - auburn has done this type of (stuff) for years, regardless of coach. They deliberately try to injure. I can't believe that LSU didn't take out the guy who dove at and injured Dorsey's knee a couple of years ago. Auburn is slime. Recall the time they were killing us as time was expiring: they feigned taking a knee at our 3, then charged fwd for the score as time expired.

VOL03_NC writes:

Injury is no laughing matter. These players are people first and players second. They have a life with hopes and ambitions just like everyone of us. What goes around will come around and that will take care of the good and the bad.
Keeping it real,
Go vols!!!

FWBVol writes:

I think being one of the least penalized teams is often overrated. Don't get me wrong, I understand a football team needs discipline and things like offsides and false starts drive me crazy. But some of the personal foul penalties are so ticky tack.

I don't believe in dirty football like the Pugh kid chopping Wes.

I think a player that plays clean, but aggressively, will sometimes get a personal foul called against him for playing through the whistle. Those 15 yarders hurt in the stats, but don't hurt a good team on the field.

VOLKING writes:

in response to smokeybones:

The real laugh is a kid who has no life, interloping on another team's website, and voicing an opinion that receives no respect. Thanks for playing kid. Maybe you can be a waterboy on your junior high football team someday. Now, leave the computer to the adults and go get some cookies.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

You love cutting out some knees? Dude you are one disturbed individual! Personally I don't wanna see a young mans career hang in the balance because of a dirty play. Also I think your a POSER TBM, just seeing what some of the UT fans will say when they reply to one of your messages. Do us a favor and stop with the antics. Go Vols!!!

VOLKING writes:

in response to smokeybones:

Thanks for proving my point, kiddo. Next.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

You are a disgrace. People like you are nothing but an embarassment to a program.

fhulpia16 writes:

in response to smokeybones:

UTsloV writes:

in response to troken:

He is a real dirty player, as many times as he's been flagged for this it looks like the SEC would look into it. Evidently Chizik don't care.

arkyvol writes:

this kind of cheap cr-a-p is the hallmark of auburn football. it has been since the days of shug jordan. there's all kinds of reasons to dislike florida, alabama, and georgia, but being the football equivalent of a habitual felony offender isn't one of them.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I'm not glad to see Lincoln has an injury, but I am glad to see that there is a reasonable explanation for his struggles. I hope he recovers his health and his stroke soon.

JACK8254 writes:

Why have him try the FG if he is that injured? Another poor coaching decision and they have been numerous.

Volunatic writes:

Glad Wes wasn't seriously injured.
His attitude has really helped our defense get through serious adversity.
I'm glad you're a Vol, Wes!

joeaubie writes:

I'm glad Wes Brown has more class than you guys. Also Pugh. If you heard Brown's quote yesterday, which was not surprisingly edited by this homer site, he also said that Pugh apologized.

The cut block is just as dangerous as a chop and both should be illegal. Hightower at Bama is out for the season due to a cut. Not defending the chop, but to accuse of intentionally trying to hurt is juvenile

Volunatic writes:

in response to JACK8254:

Apparently you didn't read the article.
"Kiffin said the staff considered going with a back-up against Auburn but the back-up didn't perform well in practice."

miketnvolsfan writes:

GO VOLS .....BEAT GEORGIA

vol88 writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

You don't have kids do you? Please tell me you don't.

vol88 writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

I just feel sorry for them if you're their role model. And anyone who would advocate intentionally injuring a player in a game has no class. Tennessee doesn't need fans like you. Neither does Auburn, or UF or Bama, for that matter.

RaineyVol writes:

in response to smokeybones:

you and your war eagle need to fly away!

utvolfan98 writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

This is just some intellectual wannabe trying to make Vol fans look like a bunch of ignorant rednecks. Nice try, but we're not falling for the bananna in the tailpipe trick.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

Maybe one day one of mine will chop block one of yours and break his leg, end his career, and say I played to win.
What's wrong with us..nah what's wrong with you?!
You don't want to talk about your kids getting their knees crushed but if it is not your kids it is okay?

VOLKING writes:

in response to RaineyVol:

you and your war eagle need to fly away!

I agree with you one hunderd percent. But, if I know this young kid known as smokeybones, his reply will be "I got your war eagle right here." I believe he is quoting Socrates or Plato. He's a real smart guy, ya know.

Vol_In_The_Ville writes:

Can't afford to lose Wes. Plus, there is life after football and I'd like to think he'd be able to walk. If the chop block was intentional it's about as dirty of a play as there is in football. Way to stay classy Wes.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

As a father,you need to grow up and act like one.If you are teaching your kids to be like you,you need to change your thinking and your actions.

midtnfan writes:

in response to TennesseeBigMan:

And you are a sick S.O.B.

LUCKe27 writes:

It's hard not to split a seam laughing at you folks. My dad went to Tennessee; my sister and I went to Auburn. The two fan bases have always had a lot of respect for each other over the years. Now that you've lost five straight, you're grasping at straws. Ryan Pugh wasn't even the infamous chop blocker that was way overblown last year ... that was Chaz Ramsey. These blocks occur when an O-linemen misses his assignment; there was no intent to injure here. Auburn hasn't been coaching this or doing it for years. You're just making stuff up in order to feel better. Don't worry. Some day you'll get a grown up coach and be a good team again. Until then, moral victories and fabricated stories prevail.

rubbervol writes:

in response to LUCKe27:

Bamas gonna kill you War Chitlins.....