More than just big three looking at Vols

The talented trio of official visitors was just a small segment of the more than 20 prospects in Knoxville to check out the Vols last weekend.

Despite losing to Auburn on Saturday, Tennessee seemed to make progress with one: Tiger commitment LaDarius Owens, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound linebacker from Jess Lanier High School in Bessemer, Ala.

Owens said he still considers himself an Auburn commitment but gave the Vols a strong look at the behest of UT linebackers coach Lance Thompson.

“It was cool to see the coaches again,” said Owens, who also visited UT before the season. “Got to meet with them in the summer, so it was good to see them again.”

Owens said he was also impressed with the Peyton Manning Locker Room in Neyland Stadium, which was recently refurbished thanks to contributions from the former UT quarterback.

“It’s huge,” Owens said. “It was good to be in there and I got to meet some of the players.”

Owens also seems fond of Knoxville.

“It’s a cool city, a nice college town,” he said.

The ultimate draw for Owens is the collective experience of UT’s defensive coaching staff.

“If you look at the history (defensive coordinator) Monte Kiffin has and coach Thompson has (coached) players like Dont’a Hightower, Rolando McClain down at Alabama. That’s a pretty good resume. You have to think about all those different types of stuff.”

Owens said he’s considering an official visit to Knoxville after his high school season so he can spend more time with UT’s coaches, especially Thompson. He said he’s also considering a trip to LSU to meet with defensive coordinator John Chavis.

Visitors: In addition to Owens, the Vols hosted the following undecided prospects for unofficial visits: tight end Davis Dudchock from Oak Mountain High School in Birmingham, offensive lineman James Stone from Maplewood High School, cornerback Dale Trimble from Gadsden (Ala.) City High School, kicker Corey Acosta from Christian Brothers in Memphis and defensive ends Corey Crawford and Brandon Smith from Carver High School in Columbus, Ga.

As for the 2011 class, the Vols hosted receivers Daryl Collins and Anthony Swain from Gadsden City High School, quarterback Kiehl Frazier from Shiloh Christian High School in Springdale, Ark., receiver Edward Muldrow from South Gwinnett High School in Snellville, Ga. and quarterback Stephen Rivers from Athens (Ala.) High School.

The Vols hosted 2012 quarterback prospect Jameis Winston from Hueytown (Ala.) High School.

Four UT commitments were in town as well: receiver Markeith Ambles from Henry County High School in McDonough, Ga., fullback Channing Fugate from Breathitt County High School in Jackson, Ky., 2011 tight end prospect Eric MacLain from Jack Britt High School in Fayetteville, N.C. and defensive end Jacques Smith from Ooltewah High School.

The Vols hosted three highly touted official visitors this weekend: safety Matt Elam from Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., linebacker Jeff Luc from Treasure Coast High School in Port St. Lucie, Fla. and safety Dietrich Riley from St. Francis High School in La Canada, Calif.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UTfansRnuts writes:

Hmmm. Wonder what the recruits thought? Team/QB getting boo'd during the game. Team loses home game. Players fighting on side-lines resulting in one getting kicked off the team. Someone help me find the positives here.

volinlouisiana writes:

Alot of you folks need to talk yourselves down from the message board cliffs and relax. We are 5 games into a REBUILDING year. Get a clue. You don't build a solid house without a foundation and you don't build a great program in 5 games. Just relax and give these coaches a chance. It appears they know how to recruit as well as run a disciplined program and coach, so in time we should be contenders again, but we won't be this year and probably not next so man up or go root for USC or Florida.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Good to hear some positive news. Hoping to get a commitment or two this week. Luc would really put some salve on some of the sores of this week.

whatcanbrowndoforyou writes:

Elam and Riley I believe will be Vols. Riley will be probably sooner than later. As for luc as much as I would love to see him in orange and white i can't see it. He most likely stays in state.

dvols writes:

i was there as well,,,

SWAVol writes:

I hope to land some studs, god knows we need the help.

SWAVol writes:

Mr. Luc please come and wear the orange. You look like the playmaker we need on the D.

TommyJack writes:

Just one more large reason CLK needs to pull a rabbit out of his, uh, hat this Sat.

UrbanCryer writes:

bring it on haters. players still want to come to UT. coaching staff sells what recruits are buying.

volfanforlife writes:

It might be just me but Luc just looks like a smaller Al Wilson type, does everybody remember what AL did for ut ? I hope Monte can lure him!!

salute_to_the_hill writes:

This is where championship teams start....I love it...GBO!!!

smokies_old_soul writes:

i think the booing is less directed at the players and is more about coach kiffin's decision to keep trotting jon crompton out there - despite one 3-&-out-or-turnover after another.

it's plain stupid to be angry at crompton. the kid is not doing any of this on purpose - he just doesn't have it. coack kiffin's stubborness is what is frustrating, but i guess he has his reasons.

having said that - the booing is no good. it doesn't help anyone. it's reflects the passion of tennessee fans - we just need to be smarter and cheer for what is good and leave the rest alone.

we have to give these coaches some time. the team discipline and recruiting are both very positive. yes, brandon warren showed his azzz saturday - but it was dealt with very firmly today. that's a big plus.

sportsdonotmatter writes:

Pete Carroll 1st year at USC 6-6
2-5 first 7 games

Nick Saban 1st year at BAMA 7-6

Chill out everyone. It's amazing how quickly the honeymoon ends. There was way too much hatred in Neyland stadium Saturday night. It made me realize how much sports do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Give these guys time and dont worry about it, we'll get back to the top. I'm going to go listen to some Michael Jackson "We are the World" to make myself feel better.

tngivem6 writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

I agree with you..we are just a little impatient now after fallen in the SEC in 2001 to LSU..UT hasn't been the same since.

But I do feel like Kiffin and co. will get this turned away in 2-3 years..

VOLincarolina writes:

kiffin is making magic in the recruiting world...i know the two DE from byrnes and they are both in love with CLK and the staff!! get on board recruits... UT is on the way back up!!

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to whatcanbrowndoforyou:

I respect your belief...but there is no way Elam is going to come here. I hope I am wrong...but he ain't leaving the Gators. Before you bring up NuKeese...I am aware, but Elam isn't going to leave.

TDTN writes:

Losing to Auburn was not a setback. We did not have the talent on Sept 05 to have a stellar season and nothing has changed. Losing Brandon Warren is not a setback. It sends the message loud and clear, get with the program or get out. The team is fighting harder this year than I have seen in a long time. Recruiting is picking up steam and getting better every week. Recruits see the fight and passion in the coaching staff and current players. A few losers in the stands who boo will not run off a good recruit. Some of the idiots who post here will not run off a recruit. This is a work in progress with long term goals. Any success we get this year is just icing on the cake. Kiffin inherited very limited talent. I supported Fulmer but had he had the same team this year the majority of the freshman would still be on the sidelines growing up. I like letting them grow up on the field. They will learn from their mistakes and get better every game. Kiffin has a reason for sticking with Crompton. He is the man who pulled in a ton of talent in a short time recruiting. I think I trust his abilities to coach the team. Go Vols!!

GahLee writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

Apparently he has de-committed already, and you obviously didn't read the article where he said he is looking hard at us, WVU, and FSU.

Not saying we will get him, but it would not surprise me.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

amen, amen, amen, aaaaamen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluetick writes:

I agree. Getting Elam would shock me even more than getting Luc would.

BamaVol writes:

in response to stonercomedy:

He will be there as long as he wants. He will build a winner. You must be a Fulmer fan.

joeaubie writes:

LaDarius Owens, one of Auburns' top commitments in its 2010 class, took an unofficial visit to Tennessee Saturday.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder out of Bessemer, Ala. traveled north with his mother and aunt to take in the Tigers' 26-22 win over the Volunteers.

"It was a great game," said Owens. "To go up there and get a win was big. I was glad WE got the victory.

"I knew WE had a chance. The way WE started out, I wish WE could have finished them off better than WE did. But I'm glad WE came out with a victory."

Owens, his mother and aunt sat in the Tennessee recruiting section during the game. He didn't cheer for either team. Owens can't say the same about the other two.

"My mom and aunt tried to contain themselves, but my aunt didn't do a good job of it," said Owens. "She was cheering. One guy told her he was going to put a gag in her mouth. He was joking. It was funny. We all laughed. She was getting loud at times.

"And the Auburn recruiting students, the ones that help out when we go down there, were in the stands and when we were on the sidelines they were hollering my name. That was kind of funny."

He also noticed the large gathering of Auburn fans in the stands.

"I talked to Coach (Tommy) Thigpen the night before the game and he said so many Auburn fans had come up," said Owens. "I got there and he was right. During the game, the Auburn fans were almost louder than the Tennessee fans. There were a lot of them and they were loud."

Owens was actually one of two Tiger commitments to visit Knoxville. Banneker safety Demetruce McNeal also made an unofficial visit.

"I talked to him and he was glad we came out with the team win, too," said Owens. "We talked about the defense, how it looks like they are coming together a little bit more. I noticed WE are very, very thin at linebacker. Hopefully WE can avoid any more injuries and keep everyone going."

As for his Auburn commitment, Owens said if Auburn fans couldn't tell already, they don't have anything to worry about.

"No worries whatsoever," he said. "I'm solid."
(Caps added by me)

Owens is the nephew of the first black scholarship football player at Auburn.

Hooker, do you even attempt to show ANY objectivity in your writing? Blowing smoke up the faithful's skirts is not very responsible.

tdvol1989 writes:

You know, I think some booing is not a killer. I live too far away and am too poor to be in the stands. But, while you want our fans to cheer, they really did early and when we had an apparent rally. And, while I am also a Lane supporter, I do not think he is doing everything right. And, dare I say it, the expectations here are MUCH higher than at the Raiders. Lane needs to put more emotion into this. He SEEMS content to suck for awhile until we raise the talent level. I do not believe he wants to, but it comes across like its okay to lose for awhile since he is so calm and he sticks with Crompton.

I will say that Lane had to put a foot down on Warren. But, I personally think ALL of our players should be sick of losing. I am not sure what Brandon said behind the scenes and there are some things that you cannot accept, but I do think if Kiffin had come out and said, while Warren's actions were not acceptable, he appreciates his reaction to losing, that would be acceptable. Unless he said something that you cannot take back, I would have understood if he just made him do bleacher sprints until he threw up. And, then use that to make a statement to the team. "Brandon's passion needs to be the rule rather than the exception."

As long as recruits know that the fans, the coaches, and the program are dedicated to winning, they will get over the booing. I think it is worse to create an atmosphere of flower-power, unconditional love, and acceptance. THIS IS TENNESSEE AND WE WIN!!!

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Hey loper. Would you consider be as being romantic if I were to say to you "Ki$$ my AZZ". Just wondering. You have a very screwed up little mind. Just thought I would ask. If you do, then I am absolutely being romantic. Go Vols!

VOLincarolina writes:

in response to joeaubie!! get off this website and i believe ur new name should be Joe Blow!! GO VOLS

Volpride1967 writes:

in response to stonercomedy:

Glad you don't make that decision goofball.your screenname says it all

BreatheUT writes:

One correction Dave - David Dudchock is committed to Vanderbilt. I don't think there has been a decommitment. Another thing - apparently Eric MacClain's dad has posted here. Welcome to the Vols family. Additionally Corey Acosta would be an important addition as a walkon, gray shirt, etc. He is the top kicker in state. Whatever Palardy decides to do (kick or punt and he can do both with great range) then Acosta can perform the other duty. And its always good to see the commited players coming back on unofficials. Now were looking for just a Few more Good Men to Volunteer!

Go Vols!

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to smokeybones:

All I can say is "Get your hearing checked". Go VOLS!

vol94 writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Good Post and someone with intelligence.
What did everyone expect? I thought a 6-6 record beginning of year and still think that is possible but so it 4-8.

Next year 6-6, and 7-5 in 2011 due to ridiculous schedule. 2012 I expect to be in the mix of the east even though schedule difficult as we then play Cincin. - top 10 school I think.

usnavyvol writes:

in response to DaMan:

U again...Just another one of you BS shots at or coach. Word of advice turd-boy. Those that live in a glass should never throw stones. Use ur Alabubba free text book education to figure it out..UT Class of 93'..GO VOLS

Ironcity writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Very accurate post.

Voluvr writes:

HERE'S THE DEAL GUYS: Everyone's got to stop booing Crompton. This ain't good for the recruits to see because they don't know it's toward Crompton. The coaches are telling them we're rebuilding, and it is going to take a couple more top classes to be at Championship level.

Crompton's a coach killer and Cam Newton will be the QB and showing Tyler Bray the ropes for Tyler to step in next year and we're fine, so chill out.

THE FLORIDA LOSS/Win spoiled everyone. We just out hit and out schemed them. Let's not forget where we are.

DID ANYONE SEE CHAVIS GO to his old prevent defense and almost blow the game? Have you forgoten where we were?

Rejoice Vols fans, we're on the way!

tennezz writes:

in response to VOLincarolina:

Your right, If we can get Luc to go with these linemen and ends our defense will be GRRREAT!

hgvol writes:

Its frustrating for any true Vol fan to watch our team lose, & struggle. However sooner or later things are going to get better. As for everyone who is calling for JC, & CLK heads, and wondering why there has not been a change at qb, watch some game film. Im not saying JC has played great by any means, but the receivers have played much worse than the qb IMO. Busted routes, not coming back to the ball, and just flat out dropping balls that hit their hands is a big part of what is wrong with JC & the team for that matter. Not trying to sugar coat anything, JC is not the next coming of Peyton or anything of the sort. But all of the blame seems to be heaped on this one kid, and like a trooper he just goes out there and works hard every day trying to get better, and help make his team better. Like I said dont think by any means he has played great but where is the blame from everyone for GJ, or QH, & BW, the upperclassmen of this team? Can anyone help me? I just want to know. God Bless Go Big Orange!

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to VFear:

Well said,VFear.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

Luc is a priority along with 3 or 4 offensive lineman. One more QB would be great. We need to get Jawaun James, Leifheit, and James Stone along with a solid QB such as Scroggins. Go Big Orange, sic em coach O!!!!

crimsonviper writes:

in response to joeaubie:

He also noticed the large gathering of Auburn fans in the stands.

"No worries whatsoever," he said. "I'm solid."
(Caps added by me)

Owens is the nephew of the first black scholarship football player at Auburn.

If Hooker is blowing smoke as you say, what are you blowing???..Barner

londonvol writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

Thank you, it is not good to female dog 24/7 about anything if you are serious. I truly believe most of this is bs and baiting!!!

FranklinCo_VOL writes:

Just watch the play calling. CLK is calling the right plays at the right times, but we just don't have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to execute. A better QB and some experienced receivers that don't try to catch the ball with their helmets or belly buttons and we will be very dangerous.

Shep818 writes:

in response to UTfansRnuts:

hmmmm so you wonder what the recruits thought eh? why dont you read these two articles on what Florida commit Matt Elam thought and what California native Dietrich Riley thought- It is pretty awesome...

Elam- http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports...

Riley- http://tennessee.scout.com/2/906131.html

Dont be so negative... think positive about the future of our program

dlravol2 writes:

in response to TDTN:

Well said!! Agree 100%

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

in response to hgvol:

hgvol, your assesment is right on and we're gonna be competing for titles in a couple of years. I think the silent majority is firmly in Kiffin's corner. My guess is that the majority of the negative posters are either trolls or one of those loud, frustrated emotional types that know very little about what they're talking about that every office, factory or organization seems to have one. Five games into a rebuilding year and to read their comments is like listening to the reasoning of a 4th grader. Go Kiffin and GO VOLS!

AFVol423 writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Good thought. Well said, and true. But Dang it, I hate to lose. Hate hearing that Florida and Auburn now lead the series. This is one place I can complain and it really doesn't matter. Now was upset Sunday and Monday about the Auburn game and now looking forward to the Georgia game with positive hopes and dreams of 100 yard passing games. Chances are I'll be upset again on Monday.

UTsloV writes:

in response to joeaubie:

He also noticed the large gathering of Auburn fans in the stands.

"No worries whatsoever," he said. "I'm solid."
(Caps added by me)

Owens is the nephew of the first black scholarship football player at Auburn.

Joe you can't tell these idiots anything. They all think everybody fears their giant pumpkin, and all the recruits love it. They have all given up on this year and maybe next year too. The season is not even half over and all they can talk about is recruiting. I think half of them know they stepped in a big pile of @#$% with this hire, and the other half are in denial. As far the writer blowing smoke, they have to in Knocksville or they will be like Finebaum. You can't write or say anything bad about the Tennessee coach, even if it's the truth. The truth is Lil Lane and his super recruiting staff was brought in to do just that recruit, they will be gone after 2010 season one way or another, then Tennessee will try to hire a real coach.

timetofireclk writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

G jones runs his mount on and off the field and gets the ball more even though he dropped multiple passes-great coaching? Warren runs his mouth and gets kicked off the team-great coaching? Crompton is said to have a good game just because he didnt throw an int but he did complete less than 50% of his passes-great coaching? Every 3rd and 10 UT plays a 15 yard zone so the other team can convert-great coaching? A kicker that kicked around 70% last year was started again this year and in a crucial game misses a FG and XP-great coaching? After 5 weeks UT is losing recruits right and left, one goes to ASU LOL-great coaching? UT has a coach that is unwilling to adjust by giving a new QB a chance even though the current QB has given every game away-great coaching? Why would anyone want to come to UT? If next year the freshman QB starts and sucks, UT and the team is stuck with him starting every single game for the rest of his 4 years or until next year when Kiffin gets fired after he is blown out by a Tebowless Florida team. Please somebody, tell me what exactly CLK is doing that is so great?

westknoxvol24 writes:

in response to stonercomedy:

Good Greif...are you really serious?

in response to timetofireclk:

Clearly, it would take too long to explain it to you, and you wouldn't understand it anyway. Have you located a source for your "CLK Buyout" change buckets yet? Better get started; it's gonna take a LOT of pennies to reach $14 mil!

mattj497 writes:

in response to TDTN:

Well said!!! Go Vols!!!

huntined#565710 writes:

Gatorsports thinks Elam will be a VOL.. Some Gators said SO-LONG..

posivol writes:

in response to sportsdonotmatter:

Pete Carroll 1st year at USC 6-6
2-5 first 7 games

Nick Saban 1st year at BAMA 7-6

funny,like clk is either carroll or saban.seems more like randy sanders to me.....clueless!

funny,malzahn the high school coach schooled the usc guru kiffin.

guz turned water into wine,kiffen turned mud into a puddle.

so far,exposed...not ready to lead!