Kiffin: Incident during Auburn game not sole reason for Warren's dismissal

Tennessee wide receiver Brandon Warren (1) makes a catch in the end zone for a touchdown in front of Western Kentucky cornerback Trent Calhoun on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2009 at Neyland Stadium.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

"Brandon Warren is no longer with our team. He has been dismissed for conduct detrimental to our team. We wish him the best of luck. We'll give him full academic support to keep him going in school, and that's the last I'm going to comment on it. Very unfortunate."

Lane Kiffin, Tennessee football coach

Tennessee worked overtime to get Brandon Warren into the program.

The Vols are apparently no longer interested in keeping him there.

After throwing his helmet and then getting into a visible confrontation with an assistant coach on the sidelines on Saturday during a loss to Auburn, the former Alcoa star Warren was dismissed by UT on Monday by coach Lane Kiffin. The outburst might not have been the only reason for the decision, but both the nature of the argument and the publicity it received were enough to push Kiffin past the breaking point and to end the junior's star-crossed career.

"Brandon Warren is no longer with our team," Kiffin said. "He has been dismissed for conduct detrimental to our team. We wish him the best of luck. We'll give him full academic support to keep him going in school, and that's the last I'm going to comment on it. Very unfortunate.

"Like I said, I'm not going to get into it any further out of respect to him and his family, but he's not been removed from this team because of that solely."

UT didn't address what else Warren might have done, and messages requesting comment from his family weren't returned to the News Sentinel.

Warren was a freshman All-America after spurning the Vols and signing with Florida State, but he elected to return home to be closer to his mom Deidre after she was diagnosed with cancer. UT had to endure a long appeal process to get Warren on the field as a sophomore a season ago, but it never got the results it expected and the new coaching staff has been critical of the converted tight end almost since it arrived.

The Vols also have been dealing with drama from at least one other receiver during the last couple games, which might have left them short on patience.

The line between helping and hurting the team with competitive fire and by showing frustration is blurry at best, but it would seem clear which side UT believes Warren is on. Gerald Jones wasn't suspended for even a down after a similar disagreement the week before against Ohio, though he also apologized both publicly and privately to the team.

"I have no problem with (being competitive)," Kiffin said. "There are a lot of great players that are so competitive that at times they get frustrated. That's understandable, but there are ways to control your emotions and there's a difference at times between a five-second show of emotion and one that's much longer.

"With Gerald, he had a good week of practice last week. He did have a small issue on the sidelines, something that he's learned from and something he has expressed that he's apologetic for. He had a good week last week, a good day (Monday) and he needs to continue to improve."

Warren won't be getting the same chance, and it's not a matter of production since he had at least shown signs of on-field improvement early in the season.

He caught seven passes for 54 yards in five games, but Warren was perhaps UT's best red-zone target in the passing game, using his size to haul in a pair of touchdowns in his limited opportunities. The Vols tried to get the football specifically to him against Auburn on two occasions as well, though a low throw and a fumbled snap killed both of those plays.

Warren's frustration appeared to boil over even before ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews reported his run-in with receivers coach Frank Wilson and said they had to be separated. At one point, a third-down incompletion prompted him to sprint directly off the sideline and throw his helmet by the bench, and now both of those images will be among the last of his career at UT.

"We're not perfect, none of us are," Kiffin said. "But you've got to catch yourself after a couple of seconds when you start to make a mistake and stop there.

" . . . Adversity, if handled right, makes you stronger. A lot of times things get worse before they get better, unfortunately, when you take over a program. I said it last week, we've got 95 percent of the guys doing things right and buying in and we'll be closer to being a championship team as more and more guys buy in. Unfortunately, along the way if they don't, other things have to happen."

The Vols certainly have a clearer picture of those consequences now.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Voluvr writes:

Discipline is a key component of winning championships! Great job coach!

volsbandit writes:

Atta boy Kif! Don't take that foolishness. I know big Phil would've. He would still be clapping his hands.

VOLincarolina writes:

way to go CLK, get these cancers out so they dont take over!! Had to be a hard decision to let him go but at least you had the b@lls to do it!!
GO VOLS

VOLKING writes:

Good move. He was a bad apple. Screwed himself and his team with his selfish actions and lazy practice attitude. May you be employed at the gas station of your dreams....idiot.

Voluvr writes:

Coach Kiffin, keep up the hard work. We know were being a rebuilding year and with no depth have done great things! We're behind you.

Fans, stop booing JC. The recruits don't know it's to JC. Two more big classes and we're on top.

skip22 writes:

Unfortunate that a player with so much potential can't grow up and utilize the gifts he has been given.

NoSirRee writes:

Brandon Warren is on the bike, Kiffin & staff play the role of the sign...

Voluvr writes:

in response to VOLKING:

...and if that gas station is in South Carolina...so be it!

ivyvol writes:

Kiffin is winning the balls game.

Voluvr writes:

Best thing that ever happened to that kid.

orangepumpkin writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Discipline is a key component of winning championships! Great job coach!

I have heard two rumors that may be true: 1. Crompton is being looked at for the Heisman trophy, and 2. Kiffen will not bench Crompton so he can recruit a great freshman Q.B.(Coach can tell recruits that they can start as freshman as Stephens does not have a chance to win the starting job).

RockinTop writes:

Witch_Doctor writes:
"Witch Doctor say see ya! Witch Doctor say statement no one player ever bigger than program. Witch Doctor say things changing on the hill.
Bones never lie"

Except Jonathan Crompton, amazing!

One thing I will say about Kiffin....he is inconsistant in fairness. It is now at the level of sickening how much he coddles Crompton even though he plays just as poorly and worse than the aforementioned.

So long Warren...wish you well dude. Chill already.

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to hiresanders:

hiresanders, plz dont use "we". you have been a loser troll on this site for a loooong time. time to prove you are a LOSER who has no life. you're a pathetic joke.

orangepumpkin writes:

I wanted to clear the record: I stated Crompton was being LOOKED AT for the Heisman trophy, but I did not say how HARD he was being looked at or by whom.

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to RockinTop:

Witch_Doctor writes:
Bones never lie"

Except Jonathan Crompton, amazing!

So long Warren...wish you well dude. Chill already.

wasn't about the play, was about his attitude. not too bright are ya, Spud?

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to hiresanders:

RockinTop writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

wasn't about the play, was about his attitude. not too bright are ya, Spud?

head to the beach for some more weed, weed head. Have you not seen Crompton's attitude on the sidelines??

Even the ESPN announcer's said "I dont like his body language right now" at the Auburn game!!....it was a very similiar smirk that GJones had after the game.....and then there is the whole pouting c.r.a.p. that he did as well.

Back at you genius. Stop being so near sighted.

RockinTop writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Witch Doc,

I think you are hilarious....and a good Vol fan....but I disagree that Kiffin is looking at long term. Crompton has shown us nothing new.

If Kiffin was looking at long term he would be preparing next year's senoir because this year's just dont have it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I see alot of inconsistencies.

bigorange_inbham writes:

Kiffin has proven nothing yeat except that he can run his mouth. Look I love my Vols but we are on the same path with the same record so far as last year. People on here keep saying this is a rebuilding year but we have one of the top 10 defenses in the nation, decent o-line and the leading SEC rusher. Kiffin's play calling sucks along with Crompton, he is by far the worst starting QB in the SEC and one of the worst in the nation and Kiffin won't even play Stephens for one series?

What is he going to say at the end of the year when we miss ANOTHER year not making a bowl game, that this was a rebuilding year and he was consistent in playing one of the worst QB's in the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12. For all the people that are going to bash me for raising valid questions go look at the stats.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

100% all the time by 100% of the team and staff. Anything less won't get them to where we all want them to be.

mytrifecta writes:

Glad Kiffin took this stance. If other college coaches would do the same thing we wouldn't have so many kids crumble in the NFL like Lawrence Phillips, Maurice Clarret, etc. This sends a message to the entire team as well as recruits who are fortunate enough to be part of this football program that there will be consequences to their actions. Well done coach. Now, we can only hope Crompton will beeotch slap Kiffin on the sidelines this week so maybe another QB can see the field.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to VOLKING:

Totally uncalled for !! Brandon is a good kid. As competitive as the next guy. I'd get frustrated too if my QB couldn't hit a simple crossing route or a 10 yd up and out. I'd get frustrated too if the coaches REFUSE to make a change at QB when things are going bad. You sir, are the idiot in this case. Showing your A-- with very little class by the sensless name calling of a 20 yr old kid. If you only knew the life he lived I don't think you'd say a word...moron!

RockinTop writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

LOL!!!!!!! YES PLEASE HAVE A TANTRUM CROMPTON!

Titan writes:

Under the previous staff, discipline had deteriorated to the point that there was basically none. We all know the names and the number of second, and third, and . . . well you get the picture, chances that some were given. Hate to lose a talented player but will be a good thing in the end - the next player that thinks about putting on such a show on the sidelines (or anywhere) will think twice before doing it. You are responsible for your actions - and I think this group is learning/has learned that lesson. Anybody notice where we are on penalty yards/game compared to last year? Yep - leading the conference and fifth in the nation. Anyone notice how many off the field incidents we've had since this staff arrived? Yep - another good sign. They have made amazing progress with team discipline in less than a year. If CLK and staff can turn around the rest of the issues as well as it appears they have done with discipline, we'll be OK.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Let me try to redeem myself from my early post on the dismissal story. I've tried to reconcile my differences in opinion about how Kiffin has handled certain situations or even his coaching decisions and what I would expect out of a coach. Obviously, not many of you feel the same way, but those whose opinions differ are often accused of being Fulmer sheep or interlopers; granted, there are a lot of those too.

My initial observation in this case was of shock and disappointment. Count me among those that was happy to see Warren overcome a significant hurdle to come back and play for the Vols.

All the same, while my initial reaction (and post) may have a tad dramatic (which I've said I try not to do), it, like the Warren situation, was a combined reaction to a number of things with this new staff.

I won't start rambling off all the things that I object to, as I will undoubtedly find myself the subject of quite a few insults on these boards...and as trivial as it seems I still like to think I can be heard on here.

I will just point to a comment that I made several times immediately following the Ohio game. I thought it completely irresponsible to have Hardesty, with his injury history and in obvious pain, still playing late in the 4th against Ohio.

I'm not the only one who saw this, and if you don't think this is a big issue, or I'm just foolish for dwelling on it, then please just skip this post.

Since that time, I've remained skeptical of Kiffin and thoughts I had before and immediately following his hire started creeping in again.

I want to believe that Kiffin is the answer we've all, as Vols fans, been looking for, but right now I have my doubts about him. However, I don't doubt my support for this program and what he is trying to do here. I'm also not naive enough to expect miraculous improvement in a single season (or less), considering the state of affairs when he arrived.

I guess I am saying, it's alright for some people to disagree with Kiffin and his choices thus far, and I have my reasons even if you don't agree with my point above.

Still, I'm sure most of us can agree that we're all hoping he's the man for the job.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to bigorange_inbham:

Obviously you can't see the lack of talent we have on this team. Average (and I am being nice) QB, 2 walk-ons and a Frosh on the O-Line. Not to mention 2 other injuries, one lost for the season. Incompetant recievers who can't run a route "hard" so they can get seperation for the QB to able to get the ball to them. I can't believe most people around here actually BELIEVED we could be better than last yr with the same personnel??? Wake up people!! What I see is a team that doesn't give up, plays their hearts out, leaves everything on the field and play with emotion. We simply DO NOT have the talent in the key positions to compete in the SEC. So go ahead jump off the Kiffin bandwagon already, 5 games into it....geesh!!!

the10sevol writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

rofl, i think jon would miss clk's open cheek.

GBO

RockinTop writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

I agree 1000% !! Well said! This is exactly where I am too on every single word you said. frustrated and concerned by some of the decisions. I too hope Kiffin is the guy that rights the ship....but I am concerned.

the10sevol writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

well put. i think we all can "agree to disagree" on various issues without questioning each others' blood color (i'm orange positive).

GBO

bigorange_inbham writes:

in response to Titan:

Ayone notice our record? Yep 2-3 and 0-2 in the SEC, discipline is great but the goal of playing football is to win games. Look I'm glad people are hopeful but Kiffin has proven nothing yet as a headcoach winning games. Western Kentucky and Ohio are scrimmage games and nothing to be proud about. I'm not saying Kiffin can't do it but lets hold off on how great he is until he has proved he can at least beat a team in the SEC.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to hiresanders:

This poster has lost his senses. hiresanders is in over his head more here than he is on gocats.com.

bigorange_inbham writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

Lifetimevolfan all I stated about the team for the most part was fact, our defense is in the top 10 in the nation and we have the leading rusher in the SEC. I'm not saying we should have beat Florida but UCLA and Auburn and almost Ohio can be blamed on Crompton. So my point is is Kiffin is not going to pull him he has to come up with some offensive plays that actually work!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Jeff Fisher is 0-4 this year and about to go 0-6. He must be a terrible coach too.

rickytopvol writes:

Kiffin makes me want to throw my helmet to. First it was Jones, and now it' s Warren. I'm sure all the WR are feeling the same way. WHY WONT KIFFIN A LEAST TRY NS!!! It's easy to blame it all on Warren, and I don't condone arguing with the coaches or thowing helmets, but I'm fairly certain Warren and Jones are expressing what the other WR are also feeling.

Regulator writes:

Again, I think that by playing the guys that are most deserving of playing time, regardless of how well or poorly they've played while on the field, makes UT better for the long haul. If Johnny Redcorn was a backup QB on this team, redshirt freshman, studious as Peyton and with the skills, do you not think that he'd be playing QB? It's not a shot at Stephens, but if he's any better than Crompton, it's marginal at best, and Crompton has outworked him in practice and on personal time. I could be way off, but I think Coach Kiffin is willing to play a less talented player who puts forth more effort until there are more talented players on the team that will match that lesser player's effort. Every spot must be earned. If Berry wasn't putting forth the effort, he'd perhaps be behind Jackson, Myles, you name it. JMO

Go Big Orange!

metalhead223 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I agree Doc, I agree, and after reading over all these posts. I realize 3 years ago, anytime after 98 this program lost it's discipline, and the only light in it for the last 10 years was Cutcliffe.
That man could pull a rabbit out of his arse.
I will say, we need to be patient, asking for Stevens, when he has done nothing to win the job from Crompton, kinda speaks volumes about CLK. YOU put your best on the field. Maybe somebody will tell Stevens, if he wants to get on the field, he might want to step it up, I don;t expect him on the sidelines atleast till after the bye week.

Txvol57 writes:

in response to bigorange_inbham:

Your stupidity makes me sick!!! Crompton did not have a bad game last week...way to many dropped passes that hit receivers in the hands...not very good protection either....to many walk-ons on the line!! Yes we have a good defense and YES THIS IS A REBUILDING YEAR!! We have no WRs and Kiffins play calling is just fine!!! I SWEAR TO GOD IF I HEAR ANOTHER PERSON WINE ABOUT WHY HE WONT PLAY STEPHENS I MIGHT GO ON A 5 STATE KILLING SPREE!!!! STEPHENS IS WORSE THAT CROMPTON GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Txvol57 writes:

in response to rickytopvol:

THEY NEED TO CATCH THE BALL BEFORE THEY HAVE ANY ROOM TO TALK DUMB SHI* HOW MANY BALLS HAVE HIT THEM IN THE HANDS THE LAST 4 GAMES......NOT CROMPTONS FAULT....SHUT UP ABOUT STEPHENS!!!! HES NOT GOING IN!!! ALL YOUR CRYING IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT!!!

knoxtenn writes:

2-7 at the end of the month. Weak talent. Poor playcalling. Dysfunctionality.

Kiffin's passing the ball all throughout the first quarter, relegating 2 of the best running backs in the country to the role of pass blocker. The result was 9 yards of passing with 3 minutes to go in the first half.

Poor coaching. Period. Take Monte out of the picture and the playcalling has been abysmal.

We can have the best recruiting 4 years running, but if we can't call plays Meyer and Saban are gonna hang losses on us year after year.

mattnchatt writes:

Too bad for Warren. I also feel like throwing things after watching our offense. I was all for hiring Kiffin from day one but I'm having concerns myself. Mainly about this season. Should we all as Vol fans just accept that this may become the worst team record-wise in UT history? That is the message that is being sent. Write this year off because in 2011 we will be good again. I'm not ready to give up on this season but sometimes it feels like that's what everyone expects.

Tgordon writes:

Maybe after GA & Alabama he can dismiss the QB coach as well ;)

wayoutwill writes:

First off-Warren is a good kid,don't put him down with the bad apple label;second-can you imagine being a player(let alone receiver)for the Vols and not being completely frustrated with Kiffen for leaving Crompton in at Q.B.(That's just stupid coaching!)I think Kiffen is a jerk and he's obviously a loser as a head coach--That is just a fact!Now,Kiffen gets to keep on being a jerk as long as he desires;he will not get to keep on being a loser and coach for the Vols;not for as long as he desires and I will say three more years at the max,remember losing at K-Town means a record of seven(7) wins or less;obviously less than seven(7) wins this year;hard to figure more than seven(7) next year so Kiffen basically has one year to win and that's about it for him!I can take him being a jerk if we're going to a BCS bowl every year or at least four out of five!That seems a ways off right now!I wonder if he has a shot at winning without his Daddy around and I wonder how much longer his daddy will be around,probably try to stick until the bitter end,It just ain't looking good,or feeling good for the Kiffen reign on the hill,TIME WILL TELL!RIGHT NOW IT SMELLS!

Titan writes:

in response to bigorange_inbham:

I'm certainly not happy with the record. My point is that you've got to start building somewhere and I think this staff has put a lot of effort into discipline and it shows. You can only do so much in turning a not-too-talented team into a talented one. However, within reason, you can instill discipline in all - and I think they've done that. Rome wasn't built in a day - and this program will not get back to the glory days overnight. Wish that wasn't true but it is.

ATX_VOL_FAN writes:

Good job for Kiffin to drop Warren from the team. It's ashame, though, because he is a really talented player, BUT yelling and arguing with your coach is NOT a good way of getting in the game. The coach ALWAYS wins that battle. Even in the NFL (Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, etc). Besides, I think Luke Stocker is playing much better anyways. He looks a little like Witten. Championships start with discipline.

hglover40#234154 writes:

The senior class Kiffin put on the field Saturday was the 7th best in the SEC when they were Freshmen.
The Jr class was 2nd best when they were Freshmen - but includes several 4 and 5 star players not producing or not on the team - like - Chris Donald, BJ Coleman, Kenny O neal, Darris Sawtelle, and DeAngelo Willingham.
The So. Class was the 8th best in the SEC
and the Fr. class was 4th best.

Just looking at these numbers to judge talent on the field - UT ranks about 5th or 6th best in the SEC.

Fulmer's downfall was #1 - he got beat on the recruiting trail - #2 he had a terrible OC until Cut returned - and then when Cut left - he didn't have the players to run Claw's offense.

But Mostly it was recruiting - If you believe, the recruiting services UT ranks 1 or 2 for next years recruiting class in the SEC.

If Kiffin wins the recruiting battle every year - and has good position coaches there is no reason to believe he can't win.

GIVE IT SOME TIME. PLEASE

fhulpia16 writes:

in response to hiresanders:

rocky_topper writes:

Kudos to Kiffin! Rid the team of thugs and team dividers!!!!! We DON'T want 'em!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to Regulator:

Go Big Orange!

I agree 100%.Would like to add that even if we go 2-10, I am more concerned about the long term. Most of us hoped for a good record, but we also are flexible enough to understand that growing pains may be more than we expected.

Lets wait until middle of next yr. to become so critical of players and coaching staff. This case is not as similar to the Jones case as the author seems to think. I don't think Austin Ward is totally unbiased on this situation.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

wish everyone would get off the Stephens thing. Obviously, coach does not think NS is good enough to start next yr. or he would be giving him some snaps. If he's not gonna be starting next yr, why put false hopes in him by playing him a few series? Could it be that coach may want NS to walk, but he wants Nick to call it on his own terms? I don't know.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to orangepumpkin:

Crapton is up for an award by the "Downtown Athletic Club of Dungannon Virginia". If anyone has ever been to Dungannon Virgina you will know that it is a real "phooey" hole!!!!!! No pun intended.