Negedu will not play this season

Tennessee sophomore forward Emmanuel Negedu underwent a surgical procedure on his heart at UT Medical Center on Tuesday and will not play for the men’s basketball team this season.

Negedu had a sub-pectoral implantable cardiac defibrillator (ICD) implanted in his chest and is doing well, according to a UT release. Negedu is expected to remain at the hospital overnight for observation.

The ICD is a permanent device that constantly monitors the heart’s rhythm. When an irregularity occurs, the ICD delivers energy to the heart muscle, which returns the heart to its normal rhythm.

Negedu, 20, suffered a sudden cardiac arrest after racing a teammate on the indoor football field after the Vols finished a light weight workout in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex on Sept. 28.

UT senior associate athletic trainer Chad Newman and director of sports medicine Jason McVeigh were nearby and raced to Negedu’s side. Newman initiated emergency medical service response.

The use of an on-site automatic external defibrillator (AED) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) — both of which were administered by Newman — were necessary to revive Negedu.

Negedu spent three nights at UT Medical Center, where he was in stable condition during the duration of his stay. He was discharged from UT Medical Center wearing an external defibrillator vest, but he insisted on taking a class test on Thursday.

Negedu traveled to the Cleveland (Ohio) Clinic on Friday where he underwent more tests and was diagnosed before returning to Knoxville on Friday night.

The 6-foot-7, 219-pound native of Nigeria wore the vest up until he underwent Tuesday’s procedure, attending a UT basketball workout on Saturday.

“I just want to say thanks to all those people that care about me and show me they care,” Negedu said in the UT release. “I want to say I appreciate everything.

While Negedu will not practice or play with the Vols this season, he will remain on full scholarship and will continue to be a valuable part of the UT basketball program.

“The stuff that he’s going through, none of us can put into words,’’ senior forward Tyler Smith said. “We’ve never had basketball taken away from us.

“We are all just thinking about him, and we all need to keep him in our prayers.’’

UT coach Bruce Pearl praised Negedu’s courage and drive.

“Emmanuel is such a special young man,” Pearl said. “You don’t come across many like him. He’s faced a tremendously frightening obstacle with unbelievable courage. He is going to be an inspiration to many, and we all feel truly blessed that he’s still here with us.”

VolWalker writes:

Just get better big guy!

ULTIMATE_VOL_WARRIOR writes:

Speak to me Vol Warriors.....B-Ball should not be this kids to priority right now.

DownTheField writes:

All the best Emmanuel. We still need you to contribute and lead by example.

SEC__Headgear writes:

Negedu is luky to be alive. Had he been elsewhere at the time of the incident that would not be the case. Tennessee is blessed to have had him and he is blessed to have had Tennessee. The team will not be as good without him as a player. I hope to see him with the team during the season.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Wishing you all the best Emmanuel for a full and speedy recovery. The Vol Nation stands by awaiting your return. GO VOLS!

utfan2 writes:

Really going to miss him this year. Maybe Kenny Hall will step in and do a good job

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

Good Luck young man! God be with you!

Millisa writes:

Emmaunuel,Stay strong in the Lord and know that He is with you. You still have my prayers and Get Well Soon!!!

AceVentura writes:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

I hate to be this guy, but I have a problem with this statement,“God is going to see me through this. With God, all things are possible. God is always in control.”

If it was in God's hands he'd be dead, be thankful for the medical staff and medical advances. That's the reason he's here with us today, be thankful for the science and technology and the people who went to school for 10 years to become doctors.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

There will be more than enough people on here that will respond to your ignorance, so I will take a pass.

Get well E-man. Your faith will see you through this and God will reveal His will for your life as a result. <><

volfaninwh writes:

This guys is staying positive I love the way he trust God and puts God first.
Its good to have great young men like this at UT

kevin151 writes:

wish u luck kid, the cloud over UT remains

crimsonviper writes:

He will inspire many.Wish the best for him and his future,wherever it may be.

DownTheField writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

For someone so enamored with "the science" [sic], I'm surprised you present such a blatant, sophomoric false dichotomy.

volball7222 writes:

You can relax knowing the defib will be taking care of your physical needs. God will be with you spiritually. All of the Vol Nation will be with you in emotionally. I had a defib put in last Feb...advice...dont let your friends try and get you to jump off their car if the battery is dead!

cincivol writes:

in response to VolWalker:

Just get better big guy!

You are an idiot!!!

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

I've only got two things to say.... First, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and nobody should say anything about your position, but expect otherwise.

And finally.... Finkle is Einhorn... Einhorn is Finkle! : )

cincivol writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

You are a worse idiot than the first guy. If you were ill and he said God will see you through then you could make the point without sounding stupid. However, the man has every right to proclaim the Lord's power over his own presence. Stop being stupid. No one, ESPECIALLY NEGEDU needed your comment!!!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

what a complete atheistic moron.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Sorry TrollFree. This was meant for Ace!!

Down_The_Field writes:

this guy's a walking miracle and a quality kid. i'll miss the spark he adds to the team this year.

the BIG E is right. GOD will see this young man through. when i listen to these comments, i see a young man who has it all together and if the docs never let him play, i'll bet he'll end up as a good student, husband, father, and citizen.

69vol08 writes:

praying for you! take care and get well!

VolJoe writes:

"He was discharged from UT Medical Center wearing an external defibrillator vest, but he insisted on taking a class test on Thursday."

GO VOLS

PrimeTime writes:

Best of luck on a full and speedy recovery E-MAN.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

Some know. Some think. The knowers never truly think and the thinkers never truly know. And the twain shall never meet.

truckinvol writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

What are you saying, the trainers took him out of God's hands and saved him? They over-ruled God? Wow, I don't believe I ever heard that one before.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

Doctors, science and technology couldn't save my brother and they tried for two years. So where would you lay that one, Ace?
Bill would say the Big E is right.

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Emmanuel, I hope you feel better and that your health will improve daily. I hope you will grow strong and healthy and can return to full health and all that life promises to you. You have come so far...I admire you for your courage and pray you will not give up on your dreams. I pray that your health will permit you to realize your potential and thank you for being a Tennessee Vol, but more importantly a good person. Thankfully you were at practice at a school that is fortunate to have the resources to care for their athletes in an instance like this. Thanks Chad Newman, you are a hero for knowing what to do and doing it!
Go Vols, try a little harder than norman for the Big E!

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Selfishly: I would love to see you playing for the Vols this season, I felt it was going to be a breakout year for you. Realistically: It's just a game and I wish you the best. Spiritually: I can tell God has his hand on your life and your best and brightest days are ahead of you.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to Bearwuzacheater:

And finally.... Finkle is Einhorn... Einhorn is Finkle! : )

POST OF THE YEAR!!! Everyone else...just quit typing.

Get well soon, E.N. You're an inspiration to many, and cause for hope.

wayoutwill writes:

It never was and never will be, the one's in doubt who truly see, the miracles performed or how they're perceived,but blessed are those who aren't deceived,who live by faith,blessings shall they receive,damned are those who won't believe!(God has blessed us all!)

cdonsbach writes:

I'd love to see UT recognize Emmanuel during half time at a game this season, and I think it would be cool if a scholarship were created for him and the athletic trainers that saved his life.
Keep your head up and your thoughts positive E-man and everything will work out for the best.
Go Vols.

FWBVol writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

Ace, I respect your opinion, but you didn't have to be "that guy." You could have just respected what a player said that you say is loved at UT.

I could quote several Bible verses about how all things are created by God, which would indicate, as I many others believe, that God was the driving for behind the medical science and technology that saved Negedu's life.

I could take it a step further and say God was in control of the situation by Negedu in a the athletic complex where the trainers were seconds away with the equipment needed to save his life.

And here's a final thought, the Bible says the name "Emmanuel" means, God with us. I would say that God was, and continues to be, with Emmanuel Negedu.

Madkels writes:

What a great attitude for a young man who had just been given terrible news. God bless you, the UT staff, and your doctors. Best wishes.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

Your one sick idiot , who do you work for the aclu ? your a POS

GreerVol22 writes:

Guys, lay off Ace. The Christian thing to do is for us to pray equally as hard that he finds Jesus, only then will his heart change.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

Your one sick idiot , who do you work for the aclu ? your a POS

Oh yeah. That's the christian spirit.

LdyVolFaninKS writes:

We live in the greatest country in the world which allows us to believe in what we want and to express those beliefs. If Big E puts his belief in the Lord and that's what guides him through, then good for him!! Hang in there and trust your faith!

Bigger_Al writes:

E-Man - We will miss seeing you play, but hoping for a fast, quick recovery for you. Thanks for being an inspiration to the team, coaches, and fans.

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Get well soon we love you here at UT.

Without the Christian Triune God "scientific" advance would be impossible. The Triune God solves the age old philosophical problem of the one and the many and creates and sustains a universe that allows for advance. In an evolving earth that just happened out of an explosion, there is no certainty that the discoveries we make today will even hold true tomorrow. You see that kind of worldview can only leave you with chance. So, do you feel lucky punk? Do ya?

salsashark74#230175 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

You nailed it. Christians attacking someone because of their unbelief is no different than throwing them to the lions. Guys, we as Christians need to be careful about how we talk to people because we run a great risk of feeding into their "Christians are hypocrites" talking points. Until they have experienced Gods love and conviction in their lives they will have no clue as to what we're talking about. They'll just be more defensive and turn to they're own understanding of life. Thanks for making this statement Greer.

voloffaith writes:

Aceventured is entitled to his opinion whether we agree with it or not. I personally am a walking miracle by the power of God so I know true faith. I also know that whatever knowledge any human possesses was a gift from God to be used for His glory. Some choose to not acknowledge Him and give the glory to themselves.Emmanuel(God with us) is a blessed young man. If he had been back in his home country he might not be alive today. In God's providence he had help close by. Now page Two Paul Harvey Good day.....

PS Sir Ace I will take the true Christ-like approach and not call you a strange name,but rather will pray God will open your eyes and mind to the truth as He did with me in 1982.

springtx_vol writes:

My comment to Ace:

Wise people talk when they have something to say. Foolish people say something to hear themselves talk.

The basketball team will miss Emmanuel; the world still has him for a while longer. May he have an influence on others that surpasses the basketball court.

armyvol22 writes:

Emmanuel, make your college count. Get that degree.
Maybe in the medical field?
May God watch over you and guide you all the days of your life.

VolunteerLifer writes:

E-man:

I am heartened by your spirit and the well wishers here. I should tell you that you are not alone, not by a long shot. Others have been exactly where you have been and exactly where you are right now, and further. You would do well to seek them out and learn from them. They will gladly help you. They will tell you there will probably be times ahead that will be as difficult - or more difficult - than what you've been through lately. Your faith in God and the help of these others will allow you to find the strength and determination to find your way through, no matter what happens. Remember these words in the future: never give up.

Godspeed.

UKblue02 writes:

Here's hoping for the best for Mr. Negedu, I think he would have been a big part of how UT's season went. I wish him and his family peace and happiness and most of all a happy long life.

1vavolfan writes:

Time to step up Kenny Hall

posivol writes:

get well big man-god is great!

props to newman

VolFanInMO writes:

Chad Newman = hero.

AWOLVol writes:

Here's a thought! Let's focus on wishing this young man a return to health and show him some love instead of turning his personal story into a private forum for our personal world views. Emmanuel has every right to approach this situation just as he has. My hat's off to the young man. He has faced down death and now moves on with life. None of us have the right to judge how he finds the strength and courage to move forward from here.

All the best to you, Emmanuel! Stay true to your faith and know that the Vol Nation loves and supports you in your return to health!!!