Vols still working on Nuke package

Modern version of single-wing not that simple

Eric Berry talks about Georgia

The play looks simple.

And Tennessee clearly didn't have any trouble executing in one quick try last week.

But there is still enough complexity and inexperience to possibly keep the Vols from unveiling their version of the single-wing offense more frequently at home against Georgia on Saturday (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.) - no matter how explosive Nu'Keese Richardson can be taking a snap in the shotgun.

"There's a lot to it, and it gets oversimplified now in the day and age that everybody runs the play," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said. "But you snap the ball and try to reach a 310-pound cat, it's very difficult to do at the center position. And all the while you're trying to mesh (a handoff) in the backfield with a running back trying to decide whether he's going to give it or not reading a defensive end - that just took me 30 seconds to describe something that would take about two hours to get efficient at.

"It's more complicated than it looks."

The Vols (2-3, 0-2 SEC) used a far simpler version to start last week's loss to Auburn, and Richardson busted through a hole in the line and picked up 41 yards on the first play from scrimmage.

But that was the only carry the freshman receiver would get, and though that left him with an impressive average, it also left UT perhaps wanting more as it prepares for the Bulldogs (3-2, 2-1).

"I was looking forward to it, but that's all on the coaches," left tackle Chris Scott said. "They call the plays. I can't put pressure on the coaches.

"(Richardson and Gerald Jones) are speed guys, so we all know when they find a hole or a gap, it only takes a few seconds - not even a second to hit it and get through the gap. I guess it's just us doing our jobs up front, but we don't have to do much but just get in front of somebody."

That might be another oversimplification, but it's not a stretch to see how the Nuke package or the G-Gun might help an attack that's had its share of troubles early in the season.

Like the no-huddle or the two-minute offense, the Vols aren't planning on making it a major part of their game plan. But eventually it figures to play a more prominent role.

"I think it's a changeup," Chaney said. "It gives the defense something on Tuesdays and Wednesdays that they really do not want to do. (Defensive coordinator) Monte (Kiffin) has to deal with it every week, so we're trying to be a pain in their butt a little bit, but with that in mind, still getting a real good football player on the field a little bit more.

"We're still trying to hone up some of our base offensive things, and as we get more efficient in the base things I can see us going that way a little bit (more). But it remains to be seen when and where that will happen."

The Vols didn't wait long to show it off last week. But they're still waiting to do it more often.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

chrisw2967 writes:

I think the hurry up helps crompton , it doesnt give him time to think and the longer time he has the more pathetic he becomes.
Just leave Nuke behind center and take our chances.

tsrvol writes:

lets do it

eb502us#225637 writes:

If it takes a cheerleader to play QB, I'm all for it. Anything is better than a 5th yr. 5th grader.

Cldvols1 writes:

Nuke gained 41 yards on the first play and then you never see him carry it again, hmmm. I'm not a coach nor do I intend on being one but c'mon, maybe run it again later in the ballgame! Teague is a good receiver but we haven't seen him since he had a good game against WKU. Crompton is much better in the hurry up, maybe try that more often? I trust CLK and most of his staff(Get a new OC). 2-4 or 3-3 heading into the bye week, we need this win! Execute, execute, execute then execute some more. Go Vols!!!

mytrifecta writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

Just leave Nuke behind center and take our chances.

You're exactly right and that's the core of the problem. Our coaching staff spends all week trying to find ways to hide Crompton. He's like the kid in little league that you stick in right field and pray no one hits the ball to him. The decision to stay with Crompton at all cost is tearing this team apart. It's clear no player has an ounce of confidence in him. And it's destroying Kiffins credibility with the players, recruits and fans.

wayoutwill writes:

I don't think I've ever seen a group of fans that all agreed that it was very evident that their team's main problem was the same thing;in our case,a problem at the Q.B. position,a coach that has to be either blind,stupid or incredibly hard headed not to see that.Why in Joe Brown's name does a Coach that has no problem talking about one player being a great kid,(Warren) as he kicks him off the team have a problem replacing another kid(Crompton)as he proves himself to be a major league screw-up?I mean that it is mind blowing to see an offense pick up big yardage on it's very first play from scrimmage and go back to the same old three and out offense that the Vols run week after week.I also heard that Warren's dismissal was his temper tantrums over Crompton's terrible play at Q.B. and his desire to make the Coaches understand that another Q.B. should be tried.Anyone else heard that?

HallowedHill writes:

Kiffin has his finger on the button! NUKE 'EM!!

GahLee writes:

We will see this sparingly.

When we have better talent at QB, this will be nothing more than a wrinkle to throw in.

Pdiddy10 writes:

berry-gun. that would be the coolest thing evr.

i probably sound like an idiot but i played NCAA 10 and berry got 4 picks and i put him at RB ad he got three touchdowns. yeah. the berry-cat-gun-thing would be amazing

windy writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

Would you care to tell us exactly where you heard that, or are you just making that up to cause more trouble. Don't make stupid statements unless you can back them up with credible proof.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to windy:

I've heard the same thing on two sports-talk shows in Nashville. Look at the circumstances and how could you possibly be surprised by this? With that said, I support Kiffin's decision to cut Warren loose. Regardless of the circumstances you can't react like he did.

tdvol1989 writes:

Uhhhhhhh... I kringe when we run that. I don't even understand why it works. When someone else lines up at QB, you know what is coming. I mean if they threw it every now and then.

Why do I hate it so much? First, it is not Tennessee Football. Second, it reminds me of how LSU beat us in the SEC title game with the backup QB Matt Mauck. It drove me nuts when he lined up in the shotgun on 3rd and 8. He just kept picking up first downs. I still have nightmares. Finally, its like a cheap version of the spread. I don't want to run the spread. We don't need it. All we need is a better QB and some receivers that are bigger. They look 5'7" on tv.

I remember better days for gimmick plays from the Vol Offense. Do you remember the end around to Von Reeves who threw about a 50yd TD to Carl Pickens...against the Gators?

VOL03_NC writes:

IMHO, The spread is here to try something to win. That does not change the direction or end result when you get a better QB/WR package.

newtonrail writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Actually it is or was Tennessee Football for 50 years. It was called the Single Wing.

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

in response to MVuniv:

Ask Bama how their pro style offense has worked in the SEC. Started 10-0 last year and are 5-0 now, yeah I'd say it'll work.

zigvol writes:

2011 were top 10 be patient and support your damn team.....

mytrifecta writes:

in response to TurnUpTheVOLtage:

it's not the system, it's the players running the system. If they fit it will work. Not sure what system Crompton could be successful in...he's been through 4 in 5 years and sucked in all of them.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to zigvol:

2011 were top 10 be patient and support your damn team.....

Hey Meat, very insightful post. We support our team which is why we're on this site sharing our opinions.

zigvol writes:

I dont call bashing your coaches and players supporting your team... Just my opinion go vols...

wayoutwill writes:

No Windy,I didn't make it up,I just heard that was the reason and wondered if anyone else had heard it,and to tell you exactly where I heard it was from my Vol fanatic brother,(he used to be an usher)--he obviously knows everything<that's said in jest--also great comment about the new trick offense being the old tried and true(in years gone by)single wing;My dad ran it for the Vols way back in '59 and his Coach was named John Majors!<Who can belive that Johnny Majors was coaching at Tn.so many years ago?I bet ya'll thought he didn't coach there until much later;any of you Vol maniacs able to figure that one out other than by saying; "Yeah.I got it figured out,you're lying!"_lol!Okay,I'm trying so hard to get on this Lane train,I think he needs to listen to his old boss and "Just Win Baby"--Once two strangers climbed on Rocky Top...

wayoutwill writes:

Gee tweetdriver,How many folks have to tell the Emperor that he doesn't have any clothes on for him to belive it?

wayoutwill writes:

Looks like Lane needs to give those defenses a lot more to prepare for ,wouldn't you say there Tweety?

mytrifecta writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Mr Crompton, with all due respect, just watch the games and focus on the players body language. This and the fact that your son, statistically, is likely the worst qb in the history of this university. It is not speculation, it's a fact.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to zigvol:

I respect your opinion...I just don't buy into your whole "i'm okay, you're okay" mentality. When things go bad, this is what happens, everything is questioned. In a few years when the program is turned around you'll see much kinder post. Hang in there Pumpkin.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to zigvol:

2011 were top 10 be patient and support your damn team.....

Could not agree more with the Zig. 2009 is Fulmers mess, 2010 will be a building block and look out 2011. If we have little or no success in 2011, then fire up the hot seat. Until then........be patient and support the big orange!

Cromptons1Cuz writes:

in response to 6MillionDollarPumpkin:

Amen! So lay off mah cuz please! After him every QB will look like Joe Namath.Wait! Did he play for Ole Miss?

zigvol writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

First meat now Pumpkin what is up with the names dude. Are you mad because I have patience and
I will not bash my coach that has only coached 5 games. Good night sugar.....

ATX_VOL_FAN writes:

what do we have to lose by using the nuke package and the hurry-up offense more? Obviously, our regular offensive game-plan hasn't worked much this season, except against WK, but they barely even count as a team. I say barely cuz they at least have 11 "players" on each side of the ball, so I guess that counts for something. Anyways, our offense has scored more times this season under 2-minute drill, so you have nothing to lose. Sometimes things don't work out the way you plan, so go with what works. However, I will say that the reason WHY the 2-minute drill has worked is because every time we have ran it, the other team has had a decent enough lead to either pull their first team defense or play a lot more conservatively.

As far as the Nuke package goes .... we only ran it ONCE, and it got us 40 yards. Why did we not run it again? Go with what works until the defense stops it, then try something else. Obviously, Tim Tebow and Florida run it pretty well.

Cromptons1Cuz writes:

in response to HeirSaban:

Huh?

ZR writes:

burst

69grad writes:

in response to HeirSaban:

better than having a LYING punk idiot for a coach...you bama people have a family tree that looks like a telephone pole..

timetofireclk writes:

Why would this staff try something that works? Everyone knows they either dont coach to win or just dont know how to win. I say leave Crompton in there for every play, go 2-10, and see how many fans are in the seats next year when they start out 0-4. Stevens or Lamaison cant even beat out Crompton so you know it will be a true freshman starting and now CLK has shown that even if he sucks to no end, he will be the starter for 4 years.

thaclaw writes:

1st..see if i can post yet

murrayvol writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

berry-gun. that would be the coolest thing evr.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a couple of days ago. :)

All_Vol_in_GA writes:

in response to timetofireclk:

What an absolutely idiotic post. Think about it: a new SEC coach that "don't coach to win" or "don't know how to win" (nice grammar by the way) is a ridiculous statement. What possible motive could CLK have in not trying to win? Why even take the job? Why go to the trouble? Why don't some of you guys think about what you're posting before hitting the send button?

Go Vols beat Georgia!

murrayvol writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

I have those same nightmares.

Our offense doesn't have enough weapons to keep DCs up past Monday planning for us. Anything we can do schemewise, playwise, or otherwise to keep em guessing can't hurt.

murrayvol writes:

in response to All_Vol_in_GA:

Go Vols beat Georgia!

They're doing the very best they can.

GreerVol22 writes:

Kiffin is right. This is nothing more than a gimmicky play that we could run 2-3 times per game if we cath the D sleeping and maybe to force a time out.

Auburn, Florida, Arky, all run this wildcat stuff with regularity....meaning they practice it all the time and have the athletes in position to execute. Cute is fine on occasion, but we are not ready to make it a habbit yet.

smoky50 writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

I WOULDN'T DOUBT IT ONE BIT. LOOSE CROMPTON OR LETS LOOSE SOME MORE GAMES. SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE GAME PLAN TO ME.

Vol86 writes:

To run a pro style at championship level you just need better players. QB, WR.
Two more things: go away trolls and Go Vols.

10ACVOL writes:

Thus proving my conspiracy theory, Crompton has naked pictures of a prominent booster or Mike Hamilton.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to HeirSaban:

TTown, your in Valdosta ?
Look idiot you have had 1 decent football team in 16 years and all of a sudden your a dynasty.
wait until Saban up and leaves all of you inbreds with that same look on your faces as those Gayfors had on their faces when Teblow went down.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to MVuniv:

Must not be watching must NFL lately....most have a wing option package now....just using it only on the right occassions...

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

Proably right..It's silly to say pulling crompton for 2 series will kill his confidence..Coaches do rotate QB's whether they are playing good or not just to give the defense a different look; happens all the time!! Kiffin's total refusal to put the number 2 QB in occasionally really makes me have second thoughts about his coaching common sense.

tnbigg writes:

Good

MusicCityVol writes:

www.checkerboardchatter.blogspot.com

mytrifecta writes:

in response to zigvol:

I will not bash my coach that has only coached 5 games. Good night sugar.....

There are all types of Vols. You seem to be a very sensitive, caring one...so I'm trying to be respectful of your feelings. Using pet names with my kids seems to calm them so I was extending the same effort to you. Kinda like our coaches do with Crompton.

utvolfan16 writes:

I am really struggling with hearing everyone scream to see the hurry up offense. All of us have witnessed how much time the defense has been on the field. Does it make sense for the offense to be in even more of a hurry to come off of the field? It's a double edged sword. I'm not crazy about the idea. I would just like to see the receivers run decent routes. I don't think Crompton is the only problem. I will however concede that he is arguably the worst QB in the SEC.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

Answer to all of your questions: Stevens has showed the coaches both this year and last that he is a worse quarterback than Crompton. Whether Crompton is SEC caliber or not isn't the point. He's the best we've got. Calling for Stevens is silly. He isn't any better, so it won't make a difference.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

True; You either have a straight forward workable offense or you don't and keep practicing at getting better..When we have better skill players and bigger lineman than we will know what kind of OC we have or don't have..Once a game a halfback pass would go for big yardage..I don't know if you noticed but Auburn hid a tailback behind the guard and he took the snap and gained 10 yards; with the smaller Nuke that play would go for a nice gain!!!