Crompton named Player of the Week

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton was voted AT&T All-America Player of the Week in fans voting for his performance against Georgia on Saturday.

Crompton completed 20 of 27 passing attempted for a career-high 310 yards and four touchdowns in the Vols’ win over Georgia. Ohio State University safety Kurt Coleman placed second, with University of South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery and University of Kansas wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe placing third and fourth, respectively. Each of the players was nominated by ESPN based on their outstanding performances last week.

Fans can register to vote for the AT&T All-America Player of the Week by text messaging VOTE to 345345 on their wireless phones any time during the season. They have until 11:59 p.m. ET each Wednesday to participate in that week’s voting.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolPride_13 writes:

Great for Crompton!!!

CrankE writes:

Yea for Jonathan "Bigfoot" Crompton!

murrayvol writes:

Well deserved. 6 more games like that and we'll be happy campers.

WytheVol writes:

Awsome!!

volzcrushm writes:

It is so great to see JC get this award.... especially after seeing sooo many critics wanting his head.

davethevol writes:

That is spectacular. I hope he can continue to play like that, and more importantly I hope that the "fans" cut him some slack if he does have some bad moments down the road.

UT4ever writes:

Ninth!!

UT4ever writes:

Ninth!

paul5170 writes:

To all you fair weather fans,GOOOOOOOO Crompton,GOOOOOOOO EB,MH---roll over some Tide.......

TampaVol81 writes:

Holy phooey!
Pigs can fly!

steelersman42 writes:

woohoo! good for Crompton

UT4ever writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

VolunteerLifer writes:

Fantastic news. For all of those gator trolls who tell us this coaching staff can't coach, how do they explain this? Last year and early this year this poor kid couldn't hit the broad sign of that proverbial barn. But this staff stuck with him, coached him up, had his back, proved all of the critics wrong, and now has this kid believing in himself again, and the sky's the limit. Way to go, Volunteers!!!!

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

Great for Crompton, and how about our coaching staff sticking together for their qb. Players will give their all for coaches like that.

537081 writes:

Coach Kiffen has chosen to stick with Crompton I have said all along I have to think Kiffen knows what he is doing. Go team go crompton. I will never desert the VOLS congrats to Mr. Crompton and his parents I know they have been thrue a lot this year.

chad_t31 writes:

What?! You mean to tell me that this coaching staff knows more than many of the posters on here?! Whodathunkit? Great job JC...most of us are proud of you.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Well deserved. 6 more games like that and we'll be happy campers.

True.

Now we know that pigs can fly.

What are the chances of donkey's lifting off in Mulletville?

Slurp!

Razzle writes:

Congrats Crompy! You deserved it bud.

crimsonviper writes:

Of all the sec games and highlights i saw he was by far the most deserving.Good for him.

volfreak#210492 writes:

Maybe the death threats and such will stop and he can actually be a student and attend classes...

Way to go JC!

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

I'm glad all my constant texting to vote has paid off (now to pay the phone bill!).

Seriously, last week I was thinking how horrible it would be on Senior Day if JC was booed as he ran through the T for the last time. Now I think he has a chance to show us all what he can do, what the coaches and team have known he can do for a long time.

As I told my husband, two consecutive, completely different, coaching staffs thought he was our best chance to win. Looks like they know more than we do in the long run (who would have thunk it?).

Cldvols1 writes:

Awesome, great game JC!

UTVolsFan7 writes:

Congratulations Jon. You earned it and deserved the award. I hope all of my promoting helped. Keep up the good work.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

24 Hour Rule is over--lets focus on the future..if what I believe Saban, McNutt and Spurrier have coming, JC will see better competition, if he does well against Bama I am sold that he is the QB and Kiffin is right--Folks Georgia was the 2nd worse team UT faxed this year-alot of season left for this team to go to a bowl or to the couch and the QB plays a big role, as we saw against UCLA and Florida

the10sevol writes:

good for you, jc, beat bama!

GBO

ethanfrome writes:

in response to chad_t31:

Maybe, maybe not, I don't want to be too fickle about one good game. Georgia may turn out to suck, and J.C. stink up the rest of our games against other competition.

Sorry, I want him to kick butt, but, we have a history here. One game and all his critics are wrong? Just seems fickle. I'm just being real.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

Whodathunkit indeed!!

I was one of those who could not understand why coach Kiffin would not at least try Nick Stephens to see if he could do better -- I could not imagine that he could do worse.

Crompton has proven me wrong, and totally vindicated himself last week. This year, he started with an excellent game, followed by 4 very poor games, but in the midst of much adversity and negative attention, he redeemed himself with a career type game against Georgia, when the team and the fans needed it most.

I wish him nothing but the best, and want him to know that although it would be wonderful if he did so, it would be unrealistic to expect him to play at that high level the rest of the year.

Play your best every week, relax, and surround yourself with those who believe in you most -- your teammates and coaches. Perhaps more important, avoid listening to frustrated fans like myself.

You have earned my respect.

mlsoft

utvolfan16 writes:

I've been telling you guys over and over and over again that Crompton was a great...well, OK, maybe not, but I am extremely excited to see where we go from here. There's hope again in Big Orange Country!

wayoutwill writes:

Let's all think about taking a deep breath of reality."Kiff" is still the same Coach in charge of the same Q.B. that has truly "stunk it up" over a two year period.It was great to see him do the things that he did against the 'dawgs last Saturday;It is my fervent prayer and my highest hope that he and Coach "K" will lead us to the best three(3) loss season that we have ever had.I just wonder if the fans on this board have short and selective memories about this Q.B.!

jsm67vol writes:

Congrats to JC and this team for continuing to fight to get better each week. All JCs shortcomings will be forgotten if he can lead the Vols to victory on 10/24. GA was a step in the right direction but bama will be a true test on both sides of the ball. Go Vols!!!

JohnnyVol writes:

Definite sign of the apocalypse.

jsm67vol writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

Hope springs eternal wayout! Yes its easy to forget how we looked the week before GA. But looking back over the season JC has improved a little each week. It was exciting to see CLKs offense click vs an sec foe. If JC and these receivers can stay on the same page, the 2nd half of the season will be excting to say the least. Already a huge improvement from last years team. Go Vols!

gatorhator4eva writes:

well deserved JC. show them tide what ya got boy.
givem hell

BrassMonkey writes:

Straight outta Crompton.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to QB_10:

Hello, my name is Mytrifecta and I'm a recovering Crompton Critic. I fight the urge daily to find some way to criticize his play, his mustache, his clown feet, etc. In my recovery, it's been helpful to just take it game by game and not overthink how he might perform in upcoming games. Give it a shot...you'll sleep better.

Expat_Orange writes:

Couldn't be happier for JC, CLK, and the Vol Nation.

CLK has shown amazing fortitude in sticking with JC. JC has shown real guts in not throwing in the towel. We've got some of the best fans and some of the worst. Glad the coach and the QB chose to follow the plan and ignore the naysayers. CLK, as a young head coach, could have easily folded under the pressure but didn't.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to ethanfrome:

Its not that he had a good game. Almost of his critics who have been on this board since the UCLA upset have said he is just not capable of playing against SEC teams. He does have the ability. That is where all of the critics were wrong.
Wonder where the critics are now? Beneath a rock maybe? Those who said GA would kill us. Come out and admit you were very wrong(very few have). All we have left is MidTN chump who won't even say who his team is. Crompton can do it. Let's just hope he continues to. I believe we can take Bama. It is still Tennessee!

Expat_Orange writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

Pass the jug, bro. Nothing wrong with dreaming the dream. If we were to beat Bama, it wouldn't come close to being the biggest upset in NCAA history. Probably won't, but don't bet the mortgage on Bama.

Your long term forecast is spot on. The Orange tide is rising and our SEC rivals know it. I work in Florida in an office with Gator, Bammer, Tiger and Dawg fans. They know it's coming. Maybe not a week from Saturday, but they know it's coming.

blitzshoot writes:

well earned! Congratulations!

WestTennVol writes:

Now that the enemy knows he can roll out Hardesty and Bryce get a little more room up the middle, if he plays well from the pocket too then we may really be in for some surprises.

Nice Game JC you earned it the hard way.

OrangeBlur writes:

Cromps!

paul5170 writes:

in response to douglasawilliams#582863:

Duh!!!!!!!!! you think........thats why they are on side lines on Saturdays & u r sitting on your sofa watching the flat screen.

oscar285 writes:

Can you be any happier for a kid? After all he and his family have had to endure, this was a well deserved honor. I was just over reading some of the posts in response to the article about A. J. Johnson's commitment to UT and just had to chuckle about some of them. It's just funny how when another SEC program loses a recruit, ESPECIALLY to UT, the kid was really a no talent hack and they didn't want him anyway. Just makes you wonder what the dozen or so other programs that were after him were thinking. I hope, like a lot of other true VOL fans on this site, that JC and the rest of the offense has turned the proverbial corner and production like we saw against UGA turns into the norm instead of being the exception. One thing that I think aided JC in his performance against UGA was that the receivers were where they were supposed to be, when they were supposed to be there. Nothing can make a QB look worse than a receiver running the wrong route. Now, do I think we'll beat Bama next Saturday, probably not. But if a break or two goes our way, you never know. The train IS rollin', though, and the rest of the conference better find something to hang onto when the Big Orange Express comes barrelling through.

Vol737 writes:

Well slather me in butter and call me a biscuit! Good for Crompton!

paul5170 writes:

in response to mlsoft#228820:

Whodathunkit indeed!!

You have earned my respect.

mlsoft

have none of u people ever pads on at all,thats why u have 3 a days in fall to practice too get better compeet agenest each other, to see who the best players to put on playing field on sat.Thats why LK payed big bucks to know whos best 2 put on playing field....not some jerk that knows nothing about long hard practices!!!!!!!!!!!

cloudodust writes:

To those that gave up early and often on Crompton, get off the bus...

mytrifecta writes:

in response to Fossilfiction:

Nostradamus? Is that you? Idiots like you really make me laugh. Acting as if you always knew Crompton was the answer. Did you have total and complete faith when he was completing less than 50% of his passes, throwing more pics than td's and held one of the worst passer ratings in college football? You're FOS up to at least your ears. Before the GA game I was one of those who felt we would never win an SEC game with Crompton based on how he's played to this point. And the fact is, if he continued to play as he had previously, we probably wouldn't have. Fortunately, this kid made a turnaround like none i've ever seen and proved he can play at this level. I'm happy for him personally and he's made me a fan regardless if he ever throws another TD while at UT...even though I expect he'll have a few more encore performances.

2407westTN_VOLSfan writes:

in response to WestTennVol:

Nice Game JC you earned it the hard way.

Howdy Big Orange Neighbor! Glad to see some fellow West TN Vols on here!

I have a question for the GoVols Extra Staff! What are the stats on wins when the ball game falls on the 4th Saturday in October instead of the 3rd? I seem to believe the 4th Saturday has always been in favor of UT. Can you confirm and do an article on this? If you have already and I missed, my bad. Point me in the direction so I can read it.
Go Big Orange - Crank up on Monday and get ready to take it to Bammer! One thing I want to see, is GOOD Special Team effort! Please no 100 yard TD returns. Stay in your lanes and don't overrun the ball carrier.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to paul5170:

Dude, you talk like Tonto. I have no clue what you're trying to say but it's funny as hell.

GerryOP writes: