Gerald Jones talks about extra work to 'get better'

What can the Vols do to beat Alabama?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Gerald Jones has never been afraid to be critical — even of himself.

“I wasn’t really involved in the offense enough. I was really more down on myself and really wondering what’s going on,” the Tennessee junior receiver said Wednesday, recalling his emotions following a loss at home against Auburn on Oct. 3 in which he had seven catches for 75 yards and no touchdowns.

So Jones did something about his limited production.

“Right after Auburn I came in and talked to (receivers) coach (Frank) Wilson and I said ‘I hate losing. I really hate losing because we should have won that game.’ ” Jones said. “I said ‘Be harder on me than you are any other receiver on this squad because I’m going to get better. I’m going to stay after practice and I’m going to do extra work and I’m going to get better and it’s going to show.’

“I told him ‘I guarantee you that.’ ”

Jones is living up to his promise. He’s stayed 20 to 25 minutes after practice to polish his game and posted a season high 105 yards and two touchdowns in UT’s 45-19 win over Georgia on Oct. 10.

Quarterback Jonathan Crompton said he’s benefited from the extra time as well. The two have also spurred some other Vols to follow their lead.

Jones, who had five catches against Georgia, said senior Quintin Hancock was the first to join in the extra work, followed by freshmen Marsalis Teague and Nu’Keese Richardson, then most every receiver.

“It’s a movement,” Jones said. “And me as a leader and a captain of this wide receiver team, it’s up to me to get us out here and get better. The hard work is paying off.”

Most wouldn’t have thought Jones would have to rededicate himself after he drew rave reviews from UT’s coaches during off-season workouts.

UT coach Lane Kiffin rallied to Jones’ defense in September, citing ankle and wrist injuries when asked why the junior hadn’t been more productive.

Jones said he remembers hearing Kiffin defending him, saying he wasn’t 100-percent healthy despite what Jones had tell reporters.

“I actually remember watching that on television and I got defensive,” Jones said.

The anger helped Jones fight through the emotions that had undermined him when other receivers were more productive as he was trying to recuperate.

“I almost felt as if I was forgotten about,” he said. “That wasn’t the attitude to have.”

Jones’ rededication has also helped his rehabilitation. Senior tailback Montario Hardesty has noticed the difference.

“Montario came to me the other day and was like ‘Your ankle must be feeling good because you look like you did back in the spring and in the summer,’ ” Jones said.

Jones, however, isn’t content.

“I’m not happy with it because I want more,” he said. “I’ve actually showed eagerness and hungriness to get better. And when I do it, all my other fellow receivers, they start doing it to.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MidTennVol writes:

We love ya, Gerald, but shut up and play. Show us the money.

Typed with respect and love from a big-time GJ fan.

jman33163 writes:

Keep working Vols!! We are going to get back to the top with attitudes and effort like that! Go Big Orange!!!!

Caspian writes:

That's great. But what would be even greater if he was to just do it and not say anything to the press about it.

smashmouth98 writes:

keep it up & good things will continue to happen!! Go VOLS!!

volsgirl writes:

Hey Gerald how about kick bamma tail this weekend......GO VOLS

VolunteerLifer writes:

Way to be there, Gerald. You showed great improvement in the Georgia game. Thanks for working so hard.

UT4ever writes:

Let's do this thang, yo!! Once again, it's time to Destroy Bammer! HOOHHHOOO!!!!

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

in response to Caspian:

I don't see the problem. When the media ask questions should he just walk away?

Jones is quotable, so he is always going to be asked questions by the media. Glad to see that he is not satisfied and is working to boost his production. Gladder still that the rest of the receiving corps is following his lead.

BTW, at least four errors in spelling, grammar, and/or usage in that article, Hooker. You can do better than that!

justincredible369#357762 writes:

now please carry that into the heart of alabama and bring us home a W!!! GO VOLS

TommyJack writes:

in response to Vol_RobE:

Packer is the best sports guy in Knoxburg.

the10sevol writes:

in response to Tellico_Vol:

between classes, weight training, film study, and practice, most of these kids are putting in 16-hour days. love it that some of them want to put in 16 1/2.

GBO

Hounddog writes:

Hounddog thinks the Darry Dickey "came out" in Crompton against GA. If The Hounddog is on the right trail...second part of the season could be fun.

Let's play football. Hounddog

in response to vol1:

Hoo, boy! You are SO right about Jerry Rice! I read an article about his workout routine once and almost passed out. He is the standard-bearer for the idea that one gets out of a career what one puts into it. Not that big, not that fast, came from a small college, but no one worked harder or got as much out of his potential. Come to think of it, he is about the same size as Jones. Now if Jones could get as much out of his ability as Rice got out of HIS....

VOLoom writes:

The video of Crompton hugging his parents after the Georgia game was very touching and made me sorry I yelled at the TV. I think you've got a few more shining moments left Jon, this week could be one you will tell your grandkids about. Go Vols.

DILLON writes:

This is kind of off the wall but, I was watching some of JC high school videos on rivals.com today and 95% of his pass plays were boot leg type of passes, wonder why CPF after recruiting him didn’t notice this and why it took CLK this may games, and why it took me 2yrs to find this is his style of play? Oh well as long as he is productive and they have found his IT.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!! BEAT BAM UH!!!!!!!!!

txvolsfan writes:

Is is Saturday yet!!!
I hate this build up, I'm ready to see a Bammer Beatdown!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

wayoutwill writes:

I think that Crompton is trying;but I do wonder if he is stupid.How many times does a player have to be told to stop a certain behavior(such as locking in on your primary) before they quit it?Crompton has never stopped and it has cost him bigtime.He is certainly got a long way to go to make up for the Q.B. play that he has shown over the last two years,but if he can turn it around and lead us to a bowl game,that will be a great accomplishment!

UTVOLSFAN4LIFE writes:

Jones is a winner. He has been faced with adversity and has stepped up to overcome a slow start. The extra practice will pay off and he will be the key to a strong finish for the Vols. If Crompton and Jones can create a chemistry this team will be bowl bound. I am on the Kiffen train. Go Vols!

pikavol writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

Mr Wayoutwill,

Would you kindly inform us as to your collegiate or professional football experience as a QB?

You are calling a 21 year old kid "stupid", and yet your posts are consistently grammatically incorrect. I am guessing your English teacher did not tell you to stop certain behavior?

You should have learned in Internet 101 that if you call someone else "stupid", then you should make sure you don't make yourself look the same way.

Your analysis that #8 is "trying" really opened my eyes.

I am interested in your newsletter and would like to subscribe so that I can also be informed of what other Vols are "trying".

stop the madness...

luv,

pikavol

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

=============quote======================

vol1 writes:

Jerry Rice worked harder in training than any other receiver to of ever played the game...Gerald should read his biography and take to heart some of the things he did to prepare for football.Gerald would reap the benefits.
===============end quote===============

Nope. Art Monk (Redskins) did. His practice regime was brutal and lasted long after team practices, even after it was dark outside. A few team mates once sought to join him and quit. They couldn't keep up with his stamina. Jerry Rice was phenomenal, no question. But Art work ethic was unmatched. He never quite had the type of quarterback throwing to him that Rice did but he did pretty darn good all the same.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Vol_RobE:

I'd like to see you tell Peyton Manning to his face the idiotic comments you make on this site

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

Gerald Jones seems to have the right attitude. BUT BUT BUT, a few things worry me. The way he holds the ball away from his body while running invites stripping. The showboating of looking back and slowing near the goal line is going to cost him and the team big time if he continues this. Tide defense players are just the type to make him pay the price for this conduct. I hope it doesn't happen because the fact is we can't afford mishaps in playing the Tide (or anyone else) as we have so little to help us recover from them if they lead to scores for the opponent. So whatever GJ does, I hope it helps the team and not hurt it.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Off topic comment: Seems you're a Murfreesboro based fan. I was born and raised there, still visit it from time to time. Just saying HELLO.
VOLS forever!

MusicCityVol writes:

www.checkerboardchatter.blogspot.com

in response to CadmiumOchre:

=============quote======================

vol1 writes:

===============end quote===============

Well, in the first place, it is pointless to say that "this" guy worked harder than "that" guy, since there are any number of guys in the NFL who worked harder than most of us have ever worked at anything. In the second place, I know that Jerry Rice performed his brutal workouts the whole year round for all of his 17 years in the league. I'm not saying Art Monk didn't--I didn't follow his career as closely as I did Rice's--but there is no reason to question Rice's work ethic just because another guy worked hard, too. I surely agree that Monk was one of the all-time greats and that he did NOT have the quality of QBs throwing to him that Rice did.

in response to scknowsit:

Yeah, Jones has said some silly things in his career. He's a 20-year-old kid who is asked questions by a reporter and he answers off the top of his head. You on the other hand sit behind a keyboard racking your tiny brain to come up with half-witty things to say when no one even asked you what you thought. Even after all that thought, you still come up with phrases like "to of ever played the game". Your English teacher would be so proud! Hate to think what your parents think.

drvol writes:

in response to DILLON:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!! BEAT BAM UH!!!!!!!!!

I noticed how much more accurate he was outside of the pocket early on in the season too. It sucks it took anyone in a position to do something about it this long to notice, but I'll take it getting noticed two weeks ago over getting noticed the week after Vandy.

14_lay_tha_wood writes:

Good to see Gerald and the recievers wanting to do more for the team. Definately showed in the georgia game. Now come out and do it again against them bammers.

GO VOLS!

jayten writes:

I still have my doubts about Kiffin, maybe it's still the bad taste in my mouth regarding Coach Fulmer's treatment. Still, I would almost, just almost give up my first born to see us beat Bama today. What that would do for Crompton, poor kid.
His confidence would soar. jmho