Orgeron not afraid to talk shop

Ed Orgeron, Tennessee's assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator/defensive line, isn't short on titles. Nor was he short on one-liners at Monday's meeting of the Knoxville Quarterback Club.

Here's some examples:

On UT's 2010 signing class:

"We have 20 commitments right now. We plan to sign a full class and more. I'll sign a 100 if they let me. I don't think they will. We have a lot of guys interested in us."

On UT's weekly recruiting meetings in which head coach Lane Kiffin talks to every prospect along with other coaches:

"I'll talk to the mother. I'll talk to the father. I'll talk to the mailman if he's still there, the guy that mows the grass, the brother and the sister. We recruit the whole family. I think that we're going to have an excellent recruiting class."

On recruiting a quarterback for the 2010 class:

"We feel good about the guys that we're recruiting at quarterback, which is the No. 1 position that we had to go out there and find.

"We've got some that are committed to other schools that we still really like and that we're still going after. We will never stop.

"You've got to have a quarterback to win a championship."

On recruiting offensive linemen:

"We've got some big offensive linemen. We're going to be the Green Bay Packers when we get off that bus."

On offensive prospects taking notice of UT's recent offensive success:

"Now that we're making progress on offense, we have upper-echelon skill players that want to come.

"We're very close to a lot of great players on offense. It's just taken us a little while longer to get those guys to commit because they kind of want to see what kind of offense we're going to run."

On the University of Florida's recruiting:

"I don't know why you would take an airplane to go recruiting. I don't know why you would ever go out of the state for recruiting."

On the UT's recruiting affecting special teams:

"You're going to see in the future where we have better special teams because we have better special-teams players with speed."

On head coach Lane Kiffin's brashness:

"People would love for you to be quiet and stay put and let the powers that be be the powers that be.

"You've got to go out and you've got to attack. That's our philosophy."

On the helicopter pilot that flew Orgeron and Kiffin around Atlanta to recruit:

"The helicopter driver was almost just like Chevy Chase. He's kind of a California laid-back dude. He said Coach, 'Now where's this stadium at?'

"We went to three different stadiums before we found the right one."

"It worked out great. It was great publicity for us."

On the response from prospects to the helicopter flying Kiffin in:

"The players loved it. When you bring Coach Kiffin somewhere it's like bringing Elvis. People are just attracted to him. They love him."

On finding his helicopter pilot, who waited at a private residence where he had landed while Orgeron and Kiffin recruited:

"I think they were having a little party . . . I look at the house, there's the party and there's my helicopter driver. We got to the airport O.K."

On recruiting tough guys:

"We're not angels and we're not going to recruit a bunch of angels."

Jesse Smithey contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CT_VOL writes:

Coach O is so the man!

Brillovol writes:

Go Coach O! The man knows what he's doing.

Not sure about having a helicopter pilot being like Chevy Chase, though. As much as he falls down, that's a terrible analogy!

the10sevol writes:

"We're not angels and we're not going to recruit a bunch of angels." food for thought.

flying with chevy chase and bringing back elvis, what a long strange trip it's going to be...

GBO

smashmouth98 writes:

WOW, CEO is awesome. Too cool. I wish I could've seen the heli land at a private residence. Do you think it impressed recruit/family!!!??

UT4ever writes:

I saw Coach O at the K-ville airport be4 the UCLA game, and he crushed my hand!! That guys is soo funny, his voice cracks me up! HOHO!!!

dma38256#264746 writes:

Can't wait for some Nashville artist to write a song about these guys.....

rootin4volz writes:

SWEEEEEEEEET-NESS!!!!!! These guys ROCK!!!

cdonsbach writes:

Love Coach O and his intensity.
GO VOLS!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

Coach Ed O....the "CEO"....must of downed 6 Red Bulls before those questions LOL.....he could convince you to sell your first born if he wanted you to....HE IS THE MAN!

TommyJack writes:

in response to volfromfla56_did_I_hurt_your_feelings:

Now that's a rockin post right there.

Cldvols1 writes:

Things are soundin really good up on ole Rocky Top! Go Vols!!!

jboyle5555#228112 writes:

This guy is the bomb ! Give him and the rest of the staff two more years of recruiting and we will dominate people. His comment regarding Kiffin's brashness is right on. Pope Urban wants everyone to kneel down in front of him and the Gators.... it is good to see Kiffin challenging them at every turn. Screw the Gators, Tide and the rest of them, the Vols are back !

Southland writes:

dont want angels but dont want felons either dont take just anything coach

MidTennVol writes:

Man, I would have paid good money to be in that chopper. Kids have to just eat this guy up.

Souther writes:

Nice change from the lifeless fuddy-duddies we've had for a few years (with exceptions, Trooper comes to mind)... I think Hamilton hit another home run with Kiffin and this staff.

in response to Southland:

dont want angels but dont want felons either dont take just anything coach

Agreed, but if we have so many guys interested in us we should be able to be selective. Besides, with the discipline and team leadership that has already been established, anyone with a bad attitude is going to be brought into line PDQ!

InertGas writes:

"You take the milk drinkers. I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time". - Paul Bear Bryant

SuwaneeGAVol writes:

in response to volfromfla56_did_I_hurt_your_feelings:

How do you know this?

volinlouisiana writes:

Look, I'll take the right kind of "angels." Tim Tebow has turned out to be a bit of a fiery competitor, who most would be pleased to go to battle with. A faithful, strong, principled young man will show the heart we want, but I don't really think Coach O would turn away a recruit like that.

The_Real_UT writes:

in response to volfromfla56_did_I_hurt_your_feelings:

I sure as hell hope you are right. It's not cool to cry wolf, especially when it comes to Luc.

The_Real_UT writes:

in response to volfromfla56_did_I_hurt_your_feelings:

Thanks for the insight. You live in Brentwood?

Ritch_Doctor writes:

Ritch Doctor say Coach OOOOOO is the man and our coaching staff is going to get all the talent they can--Adams say we can't compete for SEC title til 2011 but why not next year? Something tell Rich Doctor we going to pull out some major Bryce Brown type recruits from the 2010 class...Scroggins really want to sit behind Barkley?

Three Toed Sloths never lie

in response to Ritch_Doctor:

Three Toed Sloths never lie

Oh please! Not another "Witchy-wannabe"! That gig is TAKEN, dude; find another shtick! Show some creativity if you want to go that route.

volmattna writes:

Football is a tough sport! We want nasty guys! meaning nasty on the field. Not a bunch of Josh Briscoes!! GETEM Coach O! GO VOLS!!

volsgirl writes:

COACH O YOU THE MAN......GO VOLS

Dalton writes:

Love this crazy b@#tard!...He's a volcanic madman....but he's our madman....Go get em O