Monte Kiffin: I want to tell you this right now - I ain’t retiring, OK?

Monte Kiffin isn’t going anywhere.

And the first-year Tennessee defensive coordinator clearly isn’t a fan of anybody suggesting otherwise.

Wherever the rumors Kiffin might retire or return to the NFL might have started, he made crystal clear after practice Thursday where they should end.

“Can you believe that somebody out there — and it’s been a couple and I’m not going to say who — but they said they think Monte Kiffin is going to retire so you may not want to go there and play for him because he probably won’t be there,” said Kiffin, who left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to join his son Lane Kiffin at UT. “I want to tell you this right now — I ain’t retiring, OK? I’m not going back to the NFL.

“I didn’t coach in the NFL 25 years to come to Tennessee and get experience to go back to the NFL. I’m not here because of my kid and grandkids — that may be a little bit of the reason — but I’m going to tell you right here, I’m not going. I’m going to stay right here, I love it here and I’m going to coach here as long as I can coach.”

Kiffin is obviously still doing it at a high level, and even if his defense hadn’t gone two games without allowing a touchdown he’d be welcome to stay as long as he wanted.

There’s little doubt now that will be for more than this season, and he rattled off the reasons why.

“I just love coaching,” Kiffin said. “I’m just telling you, I keep saying it, there’s nothing like coaching at the University of Tennessee. If I’m a player — and I went to Nebraska so I’ve got to be careful since I was born and raised there — but I would have a hard time not going to Tennessee if I came here and watched a football game here and saw the Vol Walk.

“We had a Husker Walk, but it was nothing like a Vol Walk. It was walking from the dorm to the game and that was about it with you and your buddy. This Vol Walk and the fans and 107,000 people and just the atmosphere, it’s unbelievable. I’m just telling you, I get fired (up) there.”

The rumors he might take a walk away from the Vols also got him fired up, though it’s not like Kiffin needs any extra motivation for Saturday’s game against South Carolina.

The Gamecocks have a multi-purpose weapon at quarterback, a coach who isn’t afraid to attack downfield and a talented receiver to create mismatches on the perimeter — the third one in as many weeks with whom the Vols have had to deal. Kiffin hasn’t had problems with the last two, and he’s not going to let any retirement talk distract him from doing it again or let it slow his recruiting.

“Remember the story when I first got here?” Kiffin said. “Somebody said … ‘We went through your bio and it said you were 68 years old. Can you communicate with these young kids.’ I said, ‘Let me tell you something right now. I’m 68 going on 40, there are some people that are 68 going on 80.’

“That ain’t me now. Don’t worry about me communicating. I love it.”

Obviously it’s not a problem for him. A miscommunication with Kiffin on Thursday was impossible.

Change Of Schedule: The start of the week was different, but by the end nothing had changed for the Vols.

For the first time this season Lane Kiffin opened the week with a Sunday practice, but it was business as usual for Thursday’s light practice and the UT coach didn’t notice any kind of problems dealing with the change.

“I don’t think it really has anything to do with Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday practices,” Lane Kiffin said. “That’s just changing Sunday and Monday. I thought we had a very good week for the most part. I thought today was OK. I thought Tuesday and Wednesday were very good.

“We still have a lot of work to do and a lot of cleanup to do. It’s a very complicated team we’re playing.”

No Changing Of Guard: Healthy or not, Vladimir Richard might have a hard time reclaiming his position. The senior left guard will be a game-time decision, but UT has been operating just fine with Cory Sullins in the lineup without him.

“Vlad continues to improve, continues to look better and that will be a game-time decision with what we do there,” Lane Kiffin said. “Sullins has played extremely well in his absence, so whoever plays we have confidence both of them would do a good job.”

Bumps And Bruises: The Vols didn’t rule anybody out for the weekend. But they don’t have an exact feel for how much any injured players could contribute.

Defensive end Chris Walker (back), linebacker Greg King and tight end Luke Stocker (back) are all expected to be on the field, but UT is reserving judgment on them and kicker Daniel Lincoln (quad) until Saturday.

“Pretty healthy for the most part,” Lane Kiffin said. “Greg King is moving around, expect him to play. Chris Walker moved around, he’ll be a game-time decision. Other than that, Luke Stocker did some more stuff today, so I would anticipate everybody being a game-time decision or playing.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

gatorhator4eva writes:

damn right!

topgun writes:

You tell'em, Monte!

chad_t31 writes:

Never had any doubts. He's made it clear how excited he gets thinking about vol walk and seeing neyland dressed with 100,000+ in orange. Welcome monte...stay as long as you'd like.

VolPowers writes:

I freaking love this guy-Thank you Monte for being here!

gatorhator4eva writes:

oh ya, and college is way more competitive then NFL, by far.

scott_m99 writes:

Meyer and Saban probubly told potential recruits that nonsense

GoVols2009 writes:

Thought he made that clear on the Lane Kiffin show Sunday. He said "We will be here a long time". just hope that they really stick to there word on that one! I just hope Kiffin dont turn our program around and bolt to another school. Only thing I dont like about getting a coach that has no ties to the University of Tennessee. Really excited about the future, and where CLK is taking the VOLS! From Spartanburg SC so cant wait to take it the the gamecocks this weekend, had to go a long year of hearing Sh#t talking about last years game. Dont think Spurrier will even get the ball in the end zone with the Defense that Monte is running, he is a genius! GBO!!

the10sevol writes:

monte's only 56 years old on the bowden/paterno scale. just sayin'.

GBO

appalachianvol writes:

What a great job! Working with your son and enjoying what you're at the same time. Hell I'd go back to work myself if I could find a deal like that. He and his son will make history at UT! GBO!

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Probably started on the recruiting trail by some coach.

ETownVol writes:

Monte, I hope you live to be 120 (and can coach that long too). We're very lucky to have you on Rocky Top. :)

SoundsVol writes:

Berry needs return yards record...Does it happen this weekend ? maybe not at all...either way Go Vols!

marvinVol writes:

GO MONTE!!!!!
GO LANE!!!!!
GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

1vol writes:

Come on Monte name names.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

I'll bet it was Urban Cryer that was spouting this lie about CMK.

Sick'em Smokey!!

WytheVol writes:

Well Gator fans... Kiss Urban goodbye. That probably just secured that phone call to Notre Dame...

Tell em Monte!

GO VOLS!!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

If forked-tongue types with other SEC teams are spreading lies that Monte is going to hang up his Orange cap, shouldn't that peg out the Slive meter? Where are the reprimands and suspensions?

VolFanFtl writes:

Be careful Monte, I hope you got that statement pre-approved by the SEC, you don't want to upset Commissioner Slive.

Seriously - great news!

LibertyVolance writes:

and if the full Monte is staying, I'm staying.

TommyJack writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Marcus, I think they were just reporting on what Monte said...not the rumor itself.

SmokeyHound writes:

in response to SoundsVol:

i know seriously...this is sad... he badly needs to get it. you know how awesome it would be if he could be the very first pick in the NFL draft? that would be great for recruits

bluetick writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

It is still nice to hear him clear the air about things. Made me feel pretty good to read this, and I am sure it will also make any recruit feel good to know the facts as well.

the10sevol writes:

this recruiting ploy has been going on for years, ask fla state. curious it popped up amid rumors charlie strong may be leaving uf. coincidence?

the conspiracy theorists will take it from here.

GBO

bluetick writes:

in response to scott_m99:

Meyer and Saban probubly told potential recruits that nonsense

Ya think? Don't forget satan miles as well on that list. Coaches are envious of this guy. Who doesn't wish that MK was coaching defense on their team?

BigPoppaKhan writes:

Looks like it's gonna be a painful decade for the rest of the SEC.

Expat_Orange writes:

in response to joebike:

joebike, lose the cosmetic critiques.

miketnvolsfan writes:

come on monte you know why you come.to help your son out great move and now you are witnessing what made me love the vols.GAME DAY IN KNOXVILLE BABY......GO VOLS

VOL03_NC writes:

The players have a better insight to these alligations...
besides, the players that matter are on first name basis with the KiffinS.
GO VOLS!!

FlaVol2 writes:

Vol fans love you Monte. We are glad you are at UT. Go Vols!!!

cobbwebb writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

Probably started on the recruiting trail by some coach.

probably meyer, or saban! naaah, those two would never lie to recruits! dirty recruiting in the SEC, no way!

smokies_old_soul writes:

and we want you here as long as you want to coach - vol fans love coach monte's style.

OrangePride writes:

This sounds like the usual kinds of lowlife suggestions that other coaches make to give recruits enough doubt to maybe sign with them. We can only imagine "who" some of these coaches might be. Good to see Monte get everybody on the same page here.....even better to know he is a TENNESSEE guy!! He loves us and we love him! GO VOLS!

HallowedHill writes:

I heard Saban was going to Florida to replace Meyer who is going to Notre Dame to replace Charlie Weis who is going to McDonalds.

flashbone21 writes:

monte for president!

InertGas writes:

I think he's gonna stay.

dowhatsright writes:

I like Monte.

Pompey writes:

in response to scott_m99:

Meyer and Saban probubly told potential recruits that nonsense

..their lying to recruits won't change the nightmare that is coming for them....

dowhatsright writes:

in response to joebike:

Hey! Let him wear his hair however he wants. I don't understand why some people always have to take shots. I'll bet you wouldn't say that to his face. Are you a Gamecock fan?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I'm sure that Cryer is spreading his lies like always!!!
What a loser!!!
Monte will retire at UT!!!

Big_Orange_Country writes:

in response to dowhatsright:

SN has SC wrote all over it.
Go Big Orange !!!
Monte is the MAN !

TommyJack writes:

in response to HallowedHill:

Now that's a funny one, that is.

thevoice writes:

Thank you Mike Hamilton for hiring this coaching staff. Happy holidays.

senracjr writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I know two of them...Satan and Cryer

lomas98 writes:

I hope this game doesn't come down to a field goal. The kicking situation sounds uncertain. I guess Cunningham is the backup kicker?

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

Don't let this old fart fool you. A big reason he is hear is the chance to slow down from the NFL pace while doing what he loves and the biggest bonus of all is in the form of grandkids. He can see them everyday if he wants, fish on the river in the off season, and then there is Dollywood....who wouldn't want to come here for that?

crimsonviper writes:

in response to the10sevol:

monte's only 56 years old on the bowden/paterno scale. just sayin'.

GBO

That's a good one 10. I never thought of it that way.

tennezz writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Some of the kids he is recruiting told him that a couple of SEC coaches were telling them that! Monte want call any names!

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I would like to have one of thi9se MK t-shirts too.

CoverOrange writes:

Speaking of the Vol walk, did anyone see the video of the Bama walk before the Tennessee game? Nick Saban had a grimace that would scare Dracula and the players had earphones and earbuds on while ignoring the adoring crowd. Please tell me Kiffin and the Vols don't do that.

wayoutwill writes:

The man is old,those rumours are going to float around 'til he does retire,whether that be in two(2) or ten(10) years!The other guys are gonna use it against him,it's the same thing that B.Bowden and Joe Pa have heard for years and at these guys age,it'll finally be true,but if he sticks around long enuff to get this team and these coaches all going in the right direction,that will be long enuff for us!